New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Did durkon know?

When he was being chummy with malak, do you think durkon knew he was apparently a vampire? If so would he as a cleric have a problem with that?
    With the crimson light of rage that burns blood red
    let evil souls be crushed by fear and dread.
    With the power of a rightful hate
    I BURN THE EVIL! THAT IS MY FATE!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Did durkon know?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lantern View Post
    If so would he as a cleric have a problem with that?
    I jess hate them undead so

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    ow, great reply and one of the longest rteach backs I've sen to answer a question. Thanks.

So, durkon didn't know...?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Probably not. Durkon is a bit dull at times, especially when it's about his friends. Eck, he didn't even want to consider that Malack joined the linear guild despite Tarquin doing so.

I don't even expect him to believe that Malack is a vampire if told until he sees him draining someone in front of him.
    Last edited by Chantelune; 2013-02-19 at 05:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Durkon couldn't even recognize a cleric of his god's rival.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Durkon is not the most clerical of Clerics. Kind of stupid, really.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Durkon's a nice guy, but his situational awareness is close to zero.

So no, I don't think he knew or even suspected Malack is a vampire.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Durkon is not the most clerical of Clerics. Kind of stupid, really.
    Yeah, I really have to object to this characterization.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0352.html

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Durkon is a lovable character, but he *is* Lawful Good. Doesn't that basically make him dumb by default?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Durkon is a lovable character, but he *is* Lawful Good. Doesn't that basically make him dumb by default?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../GoodIsNotDumb

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Heh, I love TVtropes, and i do agree that Good itself isnt *always* dumb, but in my not so humble opinion, *Lawful* Good is another story. Any intelligence a being might possess is watered down to the point of uselessness when one is constrained to zealotry.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawfulStupid hehe ;)

12. - Top - End - #12

That's not Durkon, that's Miko
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Well Miko was sort of the extreme of that Templar mentality, she was viciously stupid, whereas Durkon is lovably stupid.

Again, i don't wanna pick on poor Durkon, who is one of my favorite characters, but he *is* the guy who is afraid of trees ;)

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Well Miko was sort of the extreme of that Templar mentality, she was viciously stupid, whereas Durkon is lovably stupid.

Again, i don't wanna pick on poor Durkon, who is one of my favorite characters, but he *is* the guy who is afraid of trees ;)
    OK, you got me there
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Ummm this is a forum, arent we gonna stubbornly debate this forever? ;)

hehe nobody on the internet has ever conceded a point to me before... now i am paranoid :D

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sadly, Durkon's clerical powers don't give him any way of recognizing undead creatures (without going out of his way to prepare and cast the spell detect undead). He is forced to rely on his own knowledge and powers of detection/deduction, which as everybody has already mentioned, are not particularly well-trained.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It is quite offensive to call every member of an entire alignment "stupid". Not every LG person is a zealot--and for that matter, I'd argue that zealotry isn't necessarily stupidity.

Or, more simply: Look at Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lantern View Post
    Yeah, I really have to object to this characterization.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0352.html
    Hah, I just noticed V is smirking in that third-to-last panel. He knows what's coming.

As for Durkon, I'd like to think he put some ranks in Knowledge: Religion since that incident with Hilgya (and even after he found out she served Loki they still got along alright until she brought up her marriage). 'Course, I could be wrong.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    It is quite offensive to call every member of an entire alignment "stupid". Not every LG person is a zealot--and for that matter, I'd argue that zealotry isn't necessarily stupidity.

Or, more simply: Look at Roy.
    Roy isn't particularly smart at anything other than tactics, fighting, and leadership. His lawful Goodness in many cases prevents him and/or his companions from taking the most expedient path to their goals. If the world is at stake, worrying about the "law" and letting it get in the way of the greater good is indeed very stupid in my opinion.

And Roy is probably the smartest lawful good character I've seen, but he still lets his alignment stop him from doing the intelligent thing many times

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

However, Roy canonically has a very high Intelligence score.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

true, roy isnt actually stupid really, its just that his alignment forces him to do stupid things. roy is obviously intelligent, but is limited by his lawfulness and self righteousness
    Last edited by pollyanna; 2013-02-19 at 07:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alignment doesn't force him to do anything. Caring about the world he lives in is in long term definitely NOT stupid.

And I don't see how other alignments can pass your not-stupid test. You're just claiming that everyone with a firmly set goal is stupid, because he is too stupid to not be able to do anything he wants, he is so stupid that he is limited by the thing he chose! And if he wants to achieve he must do stupid things! Therefore he is stupid!

tl;dr being limited isn't stupid, it's called being limited.

edit: on topic - I think it's the same as Hilgya situation, Durkon just isn't that observant.
    Last edited by Tev; 2013-02-19 at 07:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Name an example of Roy doing something stupid because of his alignment.

Only two arguable examples I can come up with were invading the bandit camp--which wasn't stupid, just risky, and it worked out just fine in the end--and attacking Xykon, who he had defeated before and reasonably figured he could defeat again.

I'd argue that Roys lawfulness has even helped him in certain instances--eg. it helped him make the call not to break out of the EoB jail, which turned out to be a good idea as he got everyone out totally legally and got Ian and Geoff freed(ish).

But we're getting off-topic. Hm.
    SSBitP
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd argue that Roys lawfulness has even helped him in certain instances--eg. it helped him make the call not to break out of the EoB jail, which turned out to be a good idea as he got everyone out totally legally and got Ian and Geoff freed(ish).

But we're getting off-topic. Hm.
    I don't wanna get off topic, and I'm sorry if i derailed anything, but i just have to say that not breaking out of the Empire's jail was not a good call imo. Roy's mission is to kill the lich and stop the gate crisis. by involving himself in other matters, and insisting on doing things lawfully, he has given Tarquin all the cards. The problem with lawful good heroes is that they feel the need to get involved in all sorts of irrelevant situations because they feel the need to oppose all evil, instead of the evil that matters. of course, this is great for the purposes of the narrative (and gettin XP :D) but from a purely logical point of view is flawed and arguably a waste of time

Name an example of Roy doing something stupid because of his alignment.
    I'm gonna go through all the comics and find some more points to back up my arguments. I think we may have some differences on our interpretations of alignment, but honorable beings can differ, of course :) I just like these kinda debates :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    Alignment doesn't force him to do anything. Caring about the world he lives in is in long term definitely NOT stupid.

And I don't see how other alignments can pass your not-stupid test. You're just claiming that everyone with a firmly set goal is stupid, because he is too stupid to not be able to do anything he wants, he is so stupid that he is limited by the thing he chose! And if he wants to achieve he must do stupid things! Therefore he is stupid!

tl;dr being limited isn't stupid, it's called being limited.

edit: on topic - I think it's the same as Hilgya situation, Durkon just isn't that observant.

I'll admit that as far as alignment goes, i favor Chaotic Neutral. Caring about the long term future of the world isn't useful, only what happens in one's own lifetime or to people connected with oneself matters. But i don't claim that everyone with a set goal is stupid, just people without flexibility. Being limited isn't in and of itself stupidity, but ALLOWING oneself to be limited arbitrarily is, imo. Especially for someone smart enough to know better.

again sorry for this long, semi-off topic post. I just find this discussion interesting. probly better for an general alignment debate thread or something.

on topic, i don't believe durkon knew :)
    Last edited by pollyanna; 2013-02-19 at 09:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So about this Roy tangent.

Probably doesn't belong in this thread because offtopic.

New thread probably would eventually get closed for real-world morality/politics.

PMs would prevent mass discussion.

What do we do?
    SSBitP

25. - Top - End - #25
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Please steer away from discussions about whether a character (or an entire alignment) is "right" or, as we often refer to it around here, "morally justified." That's an off-limit topic around these parts due to how closely it intersects with personal views on philosophy, religion, and morality. And because it spawns monster 15-page line-by-line quote battles.

So either please get back to the topic of whether or not Durkon knew about Malack and/or what his reaction will be when he finds out, or we'll have to lock the thread. Thanks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

So either please get back to the topic of whether or not Durkon knew about Malack and/or what his reaction will be when he finds out, or we'll have to lock the thread. Thanks.
    Any chance of enlightening us on at least the first of these issues?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durkon fought against a palm tree and stroke the trees in the wood with lightening. I don't think he could have been hurt by them, yet he considered them a menace. He has some strong preconceptions, and this applies to new people he meets, too. Malak was a likable and kind fellow, so why to doubt him? He didn't even accept the little info of him feeding teammates to a dragon as enough to take him for a villain.

I suppose that it's the same kind of fierce friendship which brought him to laugh when Roy hit the ground.

Well, this Malak part has, at least, given him some part of personality - if I remember well, many complained about his lack of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).