New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Sencardia

Where They Said

"Oh!" Kaleano leans over to inspect the painting, completely ignoring the view out the window. "Hmm. The style is reminiscent of Reginald Cooper Wugglesteim, but this is clearly much older. I'd even venture a guess that it pre-dates the High Matriarchal Era, when Leonard Williams Tevinil and his sister Beatrix Trubbleswurth drastically altered pre-Hestrican ideals - but of course you knew that already. You can tell from the brushstrokes that this is clearly post-tinkeo, but this kind of canvas was highly unusual for that time period. Fascinating use of lighting techniques, I must say. Very Low-Robust Count Grey. And the subject matter speaks of a very dark period of time. The artist of this piece must have been very troubled. Especially the use of lemon. Brightly coloured, usually, but very dull and mellowed here. I'd guess a loss of family or political woes. Very common among painters, you know. There's this fascinating story about Countess Tyria Loblund and her six hounds that's quiet relevant. Drowned herself in a well, poor dear. Of course now all work is sought after. My father has a landscape he claims was done by her hand, he's quite proud of it. But getting back on track, if you look here you'll see a small flaw in the glazing of the paints. This is most often caused by pollutants in the water, or carelessness on the artist's part. And judging by the skill with which..."

Kaleano will go on like this for quite some time.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2013-03-01 at 02:43 PM.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Seventh Heaven

Reinholdt glances out the window at the teeming masses of undead. So much for getting to the Cathedral. He shifts his attention to the painting.

"Modern Deppressing?" When it comes to art, Rein has no clue, even if he's stolen a few pictures in his lifetimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    Where They Said

"Oh!" Kaleano leans over to inspect the painting, completely ignoring the view out the window. "Hmm. The style is reminiscent of Reginald Cooper Wugglesteim, but this is clearly much older. I'd even venture a guess that it pre-dates the High Matriarchal Era, when Leonard Williams Tevinil and his sister Beatrix Trubbleswurth drastically altered pre-Hestrican ideals - but of course you knew that already. You can tell from the brushstrokes that this is clearly post-tinkeo, but this kind of canvas was highly unusual for that time period. Fascinating use of lighting techniques, I must say. Very Low-Robust Count Grey. And the subject matter speaks of a very dark period of time. The artist of this piece must have been very troubled. Especially the use of lemon. Brightly coloured, usually, but very dull and mellowed here. I'd guess a loss of family or political woes. Very common among painters, you know. There's this fascinating story about Countess Tyria Loblund and her six hounds that's quiet relevant. Drowned herself in a well, poor dear. Of course now all work is sought after. My father has a landscape he claims was done by her hand, he's quite proud of it. But getting back on track, if you look here you'll see a small flaw in the glazing of the paints. This is most often caused by pollutants in the water, or carelessness on the artist's part. And judging by the skill with which..."

Kaleano will go on like this for quite some time.

Deveric gawks at Kaleano's harangue. He had expected a much simpler answer, not..... that. Glancing at the painting once more and then back to Kaleano, Deveric slowly nods his head and cuts him off from his rant.

"Err.... right. That is correct, I suppose. Thank you, Kaleano."

The chronomancer tries to make eye contact with Reinholdt as if to say, "Wow." He places the painting down once more.

"A much more simpler answer would have been to say that it's a Vanitas painting. As you both have noted, it is an especially bleak work of art. This was created around the time the plague first started springing up around the empire centuries ago. It was a turbulent time wrought with war, famine and pestilence. To the average person it was seen as the end of the world. Of course now looking back, we can say that was a ridiculous notion, as humanity has lived on and prospered just fine. But at the time it was a very real possibility."

Deveric turns around to face the window and moves within a few inches of glass. He begins to observe the undead masses shuffling about. One zombie in particular catches his eye. Instead of moving through the streets like the others, this one simply sits against a wall. It watches its brethren pass by him with disinterest and looks to be almost... sad.

"I was there when it happened all those years ago. I saw the people panicking and rioting out in the streets. The city guards tried their best to prevent all out mayhem but its difficult when your citizens are angry and you have primitives knocking on the gates. In the end only a few thousand escaped with their lives. It was mostly the nobles, government officials, and other influential people who were able to flee to Sencardia safely while the rest perished. Who's to blame them though? Better to have some humans live than for everyone to needlessly go extinct, even if its unfortunate for those left behind."

The lone zombie seems to bury its head in its hands. It balls up into fetal position and rocks back and forth. One skeleton that's nearby moves over to investigate the disturbance.

"The real tragedy is that this destruction was the result of a single person. I don't know why he chose to do what he did, and I don't know if I ever will. What I do know is that he must have been deceived because he was a good person. Not only that, he was also my friend."

When the curious skeleton gets within touching distance, the curled-up zombie swiftly pounces on the unwary undead with surprising fury and agility. It rips off its head and throws it aside before dismembering the rest of his victim. After the skeleton falls apart, the zombie gets up. Looking as determined as a zombie can look, it begins to stroll towards the cathedral.
    Last edited by Time for Never; 2013-03-02 at 11:18 PM.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself. - Bernard Shaw

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - Bernard Shaw

Nexus FFRP Characters

My excellent avatars were created by Kymme and Herpestidae

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your friend is responsible for the nearly end of your world, huh?" I'm sure there are dozens more questions inherent in that one, but Reinholdt doesn't ask them in favor of falling into deep thought.

Deveric's free to answer them anyways though. And I'm sure Kaleano can come up with a few of his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh my! Was this friend the one who had written the letter he had found on the bottom floor? The mystery grew further! That made Deveric the addressee. Did that mean Deveric himself had a role in the plague, or was he a failed hero who tried in vain to prevent it from being unleashed on humanity? Perhaps hewas a victim in this story, tricked into destroying that which he loved by a man he thought his closest friend! Oh this was all so exciting!

His attention largely focused on the chronomancer, Kaleano speaks up. "Ah, Mr. Chrono Trigger," he asks obliviously, "pardon my asking, but who was this friend?"
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!