New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Help design a 3.0/3.5 character - please & thank you

So I am starting a character for a level 10 pen & paper group in my local area.
    My first thought was hey Anti Magic Field - now How can I make that into a viable weapon / character
    Sources available to me anything from 3.0/3.5 that is 1st party, dungeon magazine and dragon magazine are on a request basis.

GP not really an issue

I would like to put out an AMF as large of an area as is possible, but not be directly affected.
    and that's about where I have this idea
    thanks in advance for any and all useful suggestions.

Edit
    yes try to get the party excluded
    yes I know its a lvl 6 spell and level 10 basic falls 1 level short - but that's an easy fix via feats as I recall
    but there might be an item or other option for AMF - so that's what I am looking for
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-10-22 at 12:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Help design a 3.0/3.5 character - please & thank you

Don't forget to find a way to exclude your party members as well (including letting their spells hit enemies), or they will murder you in your sleep.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Antimagic Field is a 6th-level spell with a 10ft radius emanation centered on you.

To first change the range, you can buy a very expensive Rod of Widening, as the Widen metamagic is a +3 effect that doubles the area of your spell. It's also a terrible investment of money, but hey, that's on you to decide. Alternatively, a Rod of Sculpting is much cheaper and gives more options, but the effect doesn't travel with you.

You can create pockets of non-affected areas within an area spell with Archmage's Mastery of Shaping, but that's level 13 for the usual entry. The feat Extraordinary Spell Aim can exclude you from the effect, but that's a level 12+ feat thanks to the prerequisite of 15 ranks in Spellcraft. The aforementioned Sculpt Spell will help you with not affecting you and your allies. As a side note, the feat Initiate of Mystra lets you cast in an antimagic field or dead magic zone, but it requires 3 levels of Cleric and a caster level check. If you were not sure on which class to go with, this might sway your decision.

All in all, AMF tricks are there, but they are mostly restricted to high levels of play even if you could get the spell earlier.
    Last edited by Kayblis; 2018-10-22 at 06:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Spellguard of Silverymoon is a classic combo with AMF. Works best if you coordinate your build with the rest of the party.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    yes I know its a lvl 6 spell and level 10 basic falls 1 level short - but that's an easy fix via feats as I recall
    I don't recall any feats that allow casting of 6th-level spells at 10th level.

there might be an item or other option for AMF - so that's what I am looking for
    There are the Antimagic Shackles from Book of Exalted Deeds. They cost 132,000 gp and only affect a 5-foot square.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I don't recall any feats that allow casting of 6th-level spells at 10th level.
    There are the Antimagic Shackles from Book of Exalted Deeds. They cost 132,000 gp and only affect a 5-foot square.
    Heighten Spell+Sanctum Spell, Earth Sense+Earth Spell - there might be others
    I will have to look at options for Extraordinary Spell Aim, it may be the best option for the level

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

My first thought was hey Anti Magic Field - now How can I make that into a viable weapon / character
    You can't. An antimagic field does nothing. It's fundamentally about preventing things from happening, and it's not even a very good way to do it most of the time. It's a bit like being an adventurer specialized in disabling all gunpowder and explosives in a 30' radius around yourself: it makes your life safer, technically, but machine gun fire is still going to kill you dead (from a distance), and you can't shoot back.

If you want an antimagic character capable of casting antimagic field, consider something like this:
    Azurin Cloistered Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1
    Spontaneous domain casting (Magic domain)
    Abilities: 13+ Wisdom (to cast dispel magic), 13+ Constitution (to qualify for Soultouched Spellcasting), 14+ Charisma (to have 5 turning attempts)
    Domains: Inquisition (bonus, from Church Inquisitor), Knowledge, Magic, Purification
    Feats: Divine Defiance1, Soultouched Spellcastingazurin, Domain Focus (Magic)3, Versatile Spellcaster6
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
    Items: dispelling cord (1000 gp)
    Caster level 6, +1 for abjurations (Purification domain), +1 for Magic domain spells (Domain Focus)
    +7 on dispel checks (+4 untyped Inquisition domain, +2 insight Soultouched Spellcasting, +1 untyped Penetrating Insight, from Paragnostic Apostle)
    +2 competence on dispel checks 5/day from dispelling cord

With one turn undead use, you can counterspell as an immediate action, burning any prepared spell(s) to spontaneously cast dispel magic. With Versatile Spellcaster, you have at least five third-level spells per day. Your bonus on dispel checks is +17, 5/day, and +15 after that (but you're out of spells anyway). At level 6, nothing magical is going to get past you for a long time.
    Levels past 6 can be filled in with more Church Inquisitor/Paragnostic Apostle, some Divine Oracle (two levels), Dweomerkeeper (at least four levels)(a powerful option that requires the Spell domain to qualify, which suits the Magic and Knowledge domains well enough), and perhaps incarnate 2-3/sapphire hierarch (to go with Soultouched Spellcasting, take Practiced Spellcaster if you go this way).
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2018-10-22 at 07:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Heighten Spell+Sanctum Spell, Earth Sense+Earth Spell - there might be others
    I will have to look at options for Extraordinary Spell Aim, it may be the best option for the level
    That would let you cast one of the spells that's listed as 5th level on your spell list, and have it count as being 6th level. It wouldn't let you cast a spell that's listed as 6th level on your spell list.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I am starting a character for a level 10 pen & paper group in my local area.
    Sources available to me anything from 3.0/3.5 that is 1st party, dungeon magazine and dragon magazine are on a request basis.

GP not really an issue

I would like to put out an AMF as large of an area as is possible, but not be directly affected.
    and that's about where I have this idea
    thanks in advance for any and all useful suggestions.

Edit
    yes try to get the party excluded
    but there might be an item or other option for AMF - so that's what I am looking for
    GP not an issue? Um... What, exactly, should we take that to mean?

Personally, to weaponize antimagic, if money were no object, I'd... hmmm... try having a Dark Petal Rogue Cohort with massive initiative, who holds an action to move into position to disrupt enemy supernatural actions. Whereas I'd make myself an active character, of whatever ilk I felt like playing at the time.

As a single character? Antimagic plus poison sounds like a good way to blow money. Red Avenger has a lot of Ex abilities. Sculpt Self gives you abilities that work in antimagic. Artifacts work in antimagic, right? Ravenloft Devices work in antimagic. The rest of your party, OTOH, may not work in antimagic.

Oh, an antimagic grappler with Antimagic Shackles might be funny.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2018-10-22 at 09:07 PM.