New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Petals of the Rose Wind: Act I "The A Team"

Haruka

"...yes. We do." Haruka mutters. "We do have an... urge to mate, if you will, but those who try to liberally fulfill it are seen as, well, less than moral. And wait, a regular 'scratcher'...?"

She blushes and her eye twitches again. "You... could say that, I guess. Although single women generally aren't even allowed in the same room as a mating pair. That's why it's just called a pair."
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

"I think it's the right word. What do you call someone you mate with, with no, um, romantic basis. Just scratching the mating itch as it were.
    It's known as an Ocaideach in Feline."

Jalin looks at the twitching vampire confused "But then why did you wonder earlier why I needed a 3person bed? I mean, unless I were to give up my room and not even watch or join in or...Your culture is weird." The catgirl giggles and hugs Haruka "I like you, you're funny. And so huggable."
    <-- Give the zombie a hug. You know you want too. It's so lonely.

I have quit Giantitp. I may be back but not anytime soon
    Sorry everyone

3. - Top - End - #183
    Halfling in the Playground

As the group enters the back room after what seemed like days, they realize, by the decorations, that this is clearly no ordinary barman. The wall is adorned with weapons, works of art, even a few framed coins and papers that seem to be centuries old.

The man notices them eyeing the room, "Collecting is a... hobby of mine," he says casually. He sits at the end of a desk, which happens to have a few similarly priceless looking artifacts on it, a small dagger in a stone with jewels surrounding it, a tobacco pipe of what appeared to be bone, and an orb resting in a small basket that swirled with smoke inside continuously.

"I'd let you sit, but there are only two chairs, no use in making you fight. Besides, it won't be long and you won't be traveling that far anyway. See, I keep some of my... larger items in a more safe location. and the rumor is that someone will be coming after some of my things tonight. Now, we will make a fair sum of money at the bar with me working, but not enough to counteract what I would lose if it was stolen. But, I'm a man of business. I would rather lose nothing. So, if it wouldn't be a problem, I would like to have you watch over my collection for the night. Again, it may just be a rumor, but I trust my sources very much and I would be fool to not at least prepare. Now, I could tell from my conversation with the lovely lady here" he winks at Jalin, "that you all are in need of some knowledge about this city. If you wish, I'm sure that I could tell you what you need to know, and if I do not know... I know someone who would. Or, again, there are several other things I can provide if needed. I'll pay you whether someone shows up or not, I just want the safety net to fall back on, just in case.

So, what say you all? Does my offer seem fair?"
    Last edited by Daloth; 2013-01-30 at 11:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184

Zombie

Jalin blushes under her fur
    "So we have to stop some thieves? Sounds fun." The excitable catgirl nods in agreement to the deal
    Last edited by Anecronwashere; 2013-01-30 at 11:29 PM.

Sorry everyone

5. - Top - End - #185

Varius inclines his head. "Your offer seems reasonable," his way of giving assent.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186

Haruka

The vampire just blushes more and looks away. "...I... think the term would be 'one-night stand'..."

"Because that's not normal for our society! 'Mating', as you put it, is a private thing."
    And then she pouts as Jalin hugs her, although she secretly enjoys it.

Turning to the dragon-man, Haruka narrows her eyes slightlyt at Jalin's blush. She's my pawn! ...er, friend. She nods and grins darkly at their new employer.. "Should be interesting. I accept."
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-01-31 at 05:08 PM.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

"Since we don't have any other plans yet, that does seem like a fair way to spend the night."

8. - Top - End - #188

The half dragon man smiles again and every feels a slight jump in their stomachs, even the men. As soon as they started to question that feeling he spoke, "Well, it seems you all agree. that's excellent. Now if you'll excuse me for one moment."

He stands up and places his hand on the knife that appeared to be nothing more than an ornament, and pushes it down into the desk. There is a slight click sound, and the desk slides back, revealing a staircase big enough for two to walk down.

"Don't think of trying that yourself when I'm not around. It will kill someone else but me, those kobolds and their pesky inventions. They make things us normal people could never even imagine."

As the group follows him down they realize that this is part of a series of tunnels beneath the city, and the bartender explains that it was once a coal mine, now hollowed out and protected from collapse by magic and a few well placed beams. He makes sure to mention that there are, technically, three forms of entrance to the place. One from his bar, one from directly above the location they were heading, and one from the far west, which leads back deeper into the mountain so far that even he hasn't reached the end.

"I don't expect them to come in through the bar. Or really even from the mountain. If you see anyone else down here but me, you can kill them."

They go up a slight incline, and as they do they see that he lied slightly about what they were protecting. It was not his largest items. It was more gold and valuables than they believed a King would have access too. Scepters, Shields, Swords, gold and silver coins, gemstones, they even saw what appeared to be a grandfather clock in the back, and the pile of coins rose to a small hill, with everything back against the far wall as far as it would go, leaving only the deeper ends of the cave to the right of them.

As the group stands in shock for a moment, he explains "I have small compulsions to keep things. Forgive the tidiness issues. Oh, and I should mention, just because I am good at... reading people. If you as much as take one coin from this room without my permission. I will know. And I will consider our contract, and any future deals, null and void. If someone does come in, keep them from the most valuable things. If they steal a coin or two, I'm not going to be too terribly angry. But if they get something valuable AND you don't kill them? I will take it out of you.

When I return in a few hours I will have met with a friend who can ward this cave to where I won't need protection for it anymore. So, if you can make it tonight we should be good.

Any last questions before I head back? And feel free to ask anything. Just, don't be offended if I don't answer in the way you like."

He smiles sardonically at his last words.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmm, seems you've got quite some items down here. Anything that we are allowed to touch and that could help us defend your hoard if someone comes by, uninvited?"

10. - Top - End - #190

The man turns his head slightly sideways, "To be honest. If the person shows up, I would say that I don't have anything that would help you at all."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you all wish to set up spells of any kind or anything of the sort go for it. Otherwise we can start

11. - Top - End - #191

Haruka

With a nod of understanding, the vampire turns away and begins to survey the area they needed to protect. She makes careful note of places that would be hard to properly check in the midst of battle and places where a hidden assailant could set up an ambush.

"Alright then, we have been tasked with protecting this place; what can we find out about the battlefield?"

12. - Top - End - #192

Zombie

"Well if we know where they are coming from roughly we can set up detection. Something like a tripwire set to dump flour down would reveal any invisible people. Add in hiding ourselves so we can ambush the thieves we should get the drop on them and take em down before they can react.."

Sorry everyone

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGuy

"Jalin's idea about the flour works. Even if they aren't invisible, they'd reveal themselves and leave a trail to follow," Elzin says. "We should probably have only one or two of us on watch at all times as well. All of us on watch throughout the night would be tiresome and less efficient."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

"Yeah, but do you, or anyone else, have any flour and wire?"

15. - Top - End - #195

"I could get you some flour and wire from the bar. After that I must be going."

A few minutes pass and the man brings back four bags of flour and enough wire to create an equal number of traps with a bit left over.

"Now, I must go. Good luck."

16. - Top - End - #196

Haruka

The vampire smiles at the catgirl. "Very nice, Jalin-chan. I like it."

"Come now, folks, we don't have all the time in the world. Let's start setting these traps up."
    Haruka walks over to the floury bags and crouches down. "Now then... where shall we place these...?"

17. - Top - End - #197

Zombie

Jalin grins at the praise, bouncing after the vampiric sorceress
    "Well we have enough for 4 traps and there are 2 main entrances the thieves could come from. Clearly we have to put two in each."
    Jalin gathers up some of the wire, heading a bit down the neverending tunnel to set it up

Sorry everyone

18. - Top - End - #198

Haruka

"Very well then," agrees Haruka with a chuckle. She takes two of the flour bags and follows Jalin to start setting up traps on one side.

As they do so, something occurs to the sorceress, and she turns to Jalin. "Hey, Jalin-chan? Could I ask you something...?"

19. - Top - End - #199

Zombie

"Sure Haruka-chan. What is it?"

Sorry everyone

20. - Top - End - #200

Haruka

Haruka pauses for a second, then continues on, staring Jalin directly in the eyes. "The Claw clan. Who are they, and why are you scared of them? And why that one with the missing tail in particular?"

21. - Top - End - #201

Zombie

"I...They...That is a long story Haruka-chan.
    You see, There was this prophecy. The basic gist being that either a Tail or a Claw would lay the killing blow on the final member of the other's Clan. One is destined to eradicate the other.
    So about 2 years ago the Claw decided to 'solve' the issue. Invading my home village and slaughtering the inhabitants."

Jalin's eyes go unfocused as she sits down, remembering the dreadful time
    "It happened just past sunset, our warriors had returned from hunting many wolves. There was much singing, laughter. I saw this beautiful young female warrior and was talking her into joining me in my tent. Then suddenly the ring of steel and the cries of battle, the Claw had surrounded the clearing and attacked as one.
    I saw the woman I was chatting to impaled, my mother's home set aflame by an enchanted sword.
    I tried to run but they were everywhere. I-I found a sword, I don't remember where and used it. My voice summoning the firespirits to help. Burning through Claw warrior after Claw warrior. T-Then he came. The leader of the attack.
    He was a monster, a ferocious fighter wielding three swords. One in each hand and his tail holding the third.
    We fought. M-My blade clashing against his as war waged around us. My paws powered by the need to survive, his with the training and skill of a master swordsman.
    But I won. hehe, I still can't believe I won. I swung my sword as he spun to cleave my head in half. Catching his tail, taking almost all in one fiery attack.
    The three-sworded fighter, a man NAMED after his skills was rendered tailless.
    I ran after that, I...I just ran. Some others ran with me, or met up with the group the next day but they tracked us down.
    Months passed while we ran. Our numbers whittling down with every strike by the Claw. Now, I'm the only one left.
    The last of the Lida. The last Tail. My destiny to die at the hands of Claw, or kill every last one of an entire Clan focused on war and martial prowess."

Sorry everyone

22. - Top - End - #202

DruidGuy

"Pardon me for eavesdropping," Elzin says, "And correct me if I'm wrong, but the prophecy says that this certain member of the Tail or Claw clan will kill the final member of the opposing clan. Nothing says you have to kill all of them, just the last one."

23. - Top - End - #203

Haruka

Staying silent during the catgirl's story, Haruka remains silent for some time. Then, she wraps her arms around Jalin. "Calm, Jalin-chan. You will not die. Not if I still am."

The vampire nods at Elzin's suggestion. "Indeed. You only have to kill the last of their clan, yes? Which means that we are free to help destroy the rest. And rest assured... we will." A confident, comforting smile appears on her face.

24. - Top - End - #204

Varius looks over at the catgirl during her story. "If Death desires their lives, I will help deliver them. If they attack you while we are working together, I will help defend you. Otherwise, I will appreciate you not speaking for me," he says, shifting his gaze pointedly to Haruka.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

Haruka

Still continuing to embrace her catgirl, Haruka rolls her eyes at Varius. "Well, if you don't want to help, then you don't have to."

26. - Top - End - #206

Zombie

Jalin hugs the vampire tightly "Thank you Haruka-chan...KKisoladis."
    "I would appreciate any help at all in fulfilling my destiny. You are all Dustus tenas Lida."
    The catgirl slips into her native tongue as she grins widely

Kkisoladis = Best Friend
    Dustus = Friends/Honorary members/Allies
    tenas = of the
    Lida = Tail Clan
    Last edited by Anecronwashere; 2013-02-07 at 07:37 PM.

Sorry everyone

27. - Top - End - #207

Haruka

Smiling at the catgirl and not understanding at all her language, Haruka chuckles slightly. "You're quite welcome, Jalin-chan. But, if I may ask, what exactly is 'kkisoladis'?"

28. - Top - End - #208

Zombie

"It means best friend, roughly."
    Jalin smiles, showing her dainty fangs

Sorry everyone

29. - Top - End - #209

Haruka

"...oh." Haruka blinks once and then smiles back, her own two fangs poking out as well. "That does make me feel quite good, Jalin-chan. I would say that you're probably my closest friend as well."

30. - Top - End - #210

Zombie

"You don't have anyone back home?" The black-furred girl asks, cocking her head to the side
    "Actually I don't know much about anyone's past. I've shared my story. What's yours?"

Sorry everyone