New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heart of the Dragon IC

"Ah, yes, tea would be delicious. Such a calming flavor, always puts the mind at ease. Don glances behind them as they walk. "I do always get so nervous, you know. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched. Paranoia probably. Some tea would be excellent to calm my nerves."

There's a special emphasis there. Like he's talking about calm as a special concept or thinking on the resonance of tea.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Banned

((Nuts, lost my reply. Hit submit, tabbed over to listen to Phoe ponyponypony, and then a crash. Apparently without the submit going through >_<
    Supernal vision spell at potency 4.))

Interesting. Well, couldn't hurt to look, after all. And he might not pick up things with Spirit tongue that lurk in Twilight, but Neon had no such limits.

Flo crosses his eyes lightly, peering past the milky cataract of the gauntlet into shadow, looking around. He sweeps the club's general area as he opens the door for Quixote, trying to pick up any shifts of resonance on his headphones. He isn't sure what calm sounds like, but it's probably not Shapeshifters. pity, good song.

At the same time, a focused twinge of wariness an paranoia has Nights-Neon-Rhythm casing Twilight for any infiltration, probin with alien senses a world processed by draconian thoughts.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

The only active watcher you can find is Mara.

Supernal vision shows something unsurprising and something unusual. The unsurprising thing is that Don Quixote is under a magical transformation spell. Nobody thought he actually looked like that. The interesting thing is that the spell is concealing something else, holding it back like a damn holds a reservoir of water. You're standing at the bottom of the damn, so all you can see is the stone wall and not the flow behind, but it feels somehow grand, immense.

Don takes a sip of his cup of tea and puts it down on the table where he's sitting. When Flo looks at the cup, it seems to emanate. A small resonant aura of calm flows off the cup. It doesn't go far, perhaps a foot at most, but it is like the air in that spot is different from the sparking, dynamic energy of the rest of the club. There's no magic on the cup though, no spell that Flo can discern. Only calm.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-03-23 at 12:18 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Mara caught the emphasis on certain words, and tried to put them together into something, only to reach the conclusion that the missing piece was probably something only Flo knew. Still, she wasn't completely out of options, and brought her Prime glasses out of hiding to give Quixote a magical once-over.

[Not sure if the Supernal vision thing was for SiuiS or me. Posting this just to be safe, and Mara's mostly in intelligence-gathering mode right now anyway.]
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    [Not sure if the Supernal vision thing was for SiuiS or me. Posting this just to be safe, and Mara's mostly in intelligence-gathering mode right now anyway.]
    [Both. It's simply a description of what's visible via prime sight.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

6. - Top - End - #426
    Banned

That is not a thing that is supposed to happen.

"Fascinating. So, what can you tell me?"

The question is an obvious lead in. What can Quixote tell Flouresce, What can your Cabal tell the Arrow, what is the party line, what is the problem. Purposefully vague; let the other fill it out, what they think the question means is as important as what they say, after all.

And while the question hangs, Flo takes the time to examine the resonance in detail, hanging any curious bits on mnemonics related to dancing, music, tagging, and begins to jot down what he can in his notebook. He rubs his sleeve, the gris-gris pressed against the fabric an obvious beacon to any shaman with a modicum of Spirit affinity. "May I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Observing the calm aura, seven dice + rote quality for later recognition.

Asking if I can attempt to harness the resonance as essence, as well. Leaving question vague because Flo either knows or could ahve access to info I don't, and I don't have a feel for Quixote yet, and am leaving the ball in his court as a gesture of faith.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

The power of the magical aura coming from their unexpected guest was a little surprising, as was the amount of trouble he seemed to be going to in order to keep it under wraps. As she continued to observe his interaction with Flo, Mara did her best to memorize the spell, the feeling of its magic, for future investigation.

All the while, another part of her wondered - how many mages knew about this side of Quixote? After all, if anyone with Prime could take a look, 20% of the magical population of Hong Kong must have some idea the man was up to something...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    That is not a thing that is supposed to happen.

"Fascinating. So, what can you tell me?"

The question is an obvious lead in. What can Quixote tell Flouresce, What can your Cabal tell the Arrow, what is the party line, what is the problem. Purposefully vague; let the other fill it out, what they think the question means is as important as what they say, after all.

And while the question hangs, Flo takes the time to examine the resonance in detail, hanging any curious bits on mnemonics related to dancing, music, tagging, and begins to jot down what he can in his notebook. He rubs his sleeve, the gris-gris pressed against the fabric an obvious beacon to any shaman with a modicum of Spirit affinity. "May I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Observing the calm aura, seven dice + rote quality for later recognition.

Asking if I can attempt to harness the resonance as essence, as well. Leaving question vague because Flo either knows or could ahve access to info I don't, and I don't have a feel for Quixote yet, and am leaving the ball in his court as a gesture of faith.
    [Did you roll those dice? That's just a flat roll, no modifiers.]

Don Quixote sighs.

"Flo, my dear friend. Why are you having me observed behind a one-way mirror? I can tell you I am aware of that. It's very rude to a guest, and I thought we were old friends and I was here to catch up."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

9. - Top - End - #429
    Banned

[Did you roll those dice? That's just a flat roll, no modifiers.]

Don Quixote sighs.

"Flo, my dear friend. Why are you having me observed behind a one-way mirror? I can tell you I am aware of that. It's very rude to a guest, and I thought we were old friends and I was here to catch up."
    Spoiler
    Show
    No roll yet, was a request for modifiers and all that. A roll now would be... 4 successes.

Wow. Rote quality is so much more awesome when you get one success on the first pitch.

Cannot brain. Will respond in a few hours. Sorry.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

"Because I asked him to. It's standard practice when mysterious visitors come asking for us around the club." Mara had stood up from her seat on the couch and crossed her arms over her chest, looking straight at Flo's "old friend" through the glass.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

"Arrow sanctum, Arrow protocol. But you came here, want to make everyone comfortable. But with entire Free Council disappearing after the bombing, paranoia flared. You are here as guest. Vigilance strictly formality, and I hope we can keep it that way. Didn't expect one way mirror to fool you, doesn't fool sleepers either. Want to make sure we proceed at comfortable pace. Not jump into business, not skirt it either.

"So you have been stressed, but maintain your health. That is good. I hope your lodging is comfortable? I always imagined your troupe had a camper or similar vehicle." The small talk makes Flouresce smile faintly. He is genuinely interested, after all. "couldn't see a nonmobile sanctum really fitting your escapades."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh we're here and there, you know. Nothing so easily broken into as a camper, my friend. No, safety in this city is about blending in except for when you're ready to stand out. That's the real trick, you know" He gives a hacking cough and takes a sip of his tea, which seems to relax him. "Yes, the real trick is appearing only when you want to appear."

He seems to consider for a moment.

"So, what can I tell you, with such a frosty reception? Well, I suppose I can tell you about my namesake. Don Quixote, the man who tilted at windmills. I've always thought he was a Mage and really did exist, you know. What other sort of fool looks at a windmill and sees a dragon? Or sees in a barmaid a beautiful princess? I always thought he was shaping reality, that people would see and learn of the things he did and they would spread and alter the world. That's why I selected his name. Well that and he was a knight and the Man in Black has strict standards about such things for his cabal." He chuckles again, a dry wheeze.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #433
    Colossus in the Playground

"The funniest part of that book was when he and Sanchez managed to almost hang themselves, and got stuck like that for hours and hours," contributed Vulcan.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, and who might you be? I don't think we've met before, but I am glad to meet someone so well-read." Don extends his hand, but then gives another dry cough and thinks better of shaking, giving Vulcan a slight bow instead.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #435

Yep. There it was. She'd known, known that whatever she said would be totally disregarded in favour of a smarmy introduction. She should have just kept her mouth shut.

"I'm in accounting," said Vulcan, looking away.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Yep. There it was. She'd known, known that whatever she said would be totally disregarded in favour of a smarmy introduction. She should have just kept her mouth shut.

"I'm in accounting," said Vulcan, looking away.
    [At least I'm consistent ]

Don looks a bit dismayed. "No you're not. And I don't care whether you actually do accounting or not, but you would not have come in here as you did if you were a person to whom I should pay no notice. This is, frankly, quite disappointing. Everyone here is treating me as though I need to be watched at every moment and lied to as well. I thought I'd receive a better reception, but if this is how things are, I suppose I'll have to take my leave."

He stands up to start walking, but after that little speech, he breaks into a fit of dry coughing, going for several seconds and stooping down, hands on his knees and trying to catch his breath. His potbelly hangs out in a rather ugly manner and the whole character just seems horribly wretched.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #437

Vulcan silently imagined a sad violin playing along with Quixote's speech and breakdown.

"Awwww, are all the mean people lying to you?" said Vulcan sympathetically. "It's almost as if we can see through your bullcrap and are answering you in kind."

She wheeled and struck her staff into the ground.

"Cut the garbage. This isn't a street theatre and we aren't your audience. Talk to us like adults or get out."

18. - Top - End - #438
    Banned

"Oh we're here and there, you know. Nothing so easily broken into as a camper, my friend. No, safety in this city is about blending in except for when you're ready to stand out. That's the real trick, you know" He gives a hacking cough and takes a sip of his tea, which seems to relax him. "Yes, the real trick is appearing only when you want to appear."

He seems to consider for a moment.

"So, what can I tell you, with such a frosty reception? Well, I suppose I can tell you about my namesake. Don Quixote, the man who tilted at windmills. I've always thought he was a Mage and really did exist, you know. What other sort of fool looks at a windmill and sees a dragon? Or sees in a barmaid a beautiful princess? I always thought he was shaping reality, that people would see and learn of the things he did and they would spread and alter the world. That's why I selected his name. Well that and he was a knight and the Man in Black has strict standards about such things for his cabal." He chuckles again, a dry wheeze.
    "Didn't mean to pry into your cabal's secrets, Quixote. I am just bad at playing house; this 'frosty reception' is balancing our friendship and my cabal's direct animosity. Please, keep in mind that I am in a bad position here. As far as they know, I am fraternizing with the enemy. I am trying to keep everyone calm and friendly as an example."

[At least I'm consistent ]

Don looks a bit dismayed. "No you're not. And I don't care whether you actually do accounting or not, but you would not have come in here as you did if you were a person to whom I should pay no notice. This is, frankly, quite disappointing. Everyone here is treating me as though I need to be watched at every moment and lied to as well. I thought I'd receive a better reception, but if this is how things are, I suppose I'll have to take my leave."

He stands up to start walking, but after that little speech, he breaks into a fit of dry coughing, going for several seconds and stooping down, hands on his knees and trying to catch his breath. His potbelly hangs out in a rather ugly manner and the whole character just seems horribly wretched.
    "Don, please."

Flo is the exact counterpoint of his fellow shaman, striding forward as the pinnacle of physical health. As far as Don will allow, he slides one arm around the other man's lower back as he crouches, using the other to grab and steady his elbow, and lead him back to the seat.

"You say this is frosty. Help me break the ice. We need to be as united a consillium as politics will allow. You can help us remove or at least understand the wedge that separates us. Events are in motion. Everywhere is chaos. This is the time to stand firm together. If you walk out now, sick as you are, you're just heading back into the storm.

"Now, you seem worse than I expected. I am going to use life sense, and see if I can help you at all. Or would you like to tell me how I can make you comfortable instead?"

She wheeled and struck her staff into the ground.

"Cut the garbage. This isn't a street theatre and we aren't your audience. Talk to us like adults or get out."
    Flo gives Vulcan a flat look, but nods.
    "She isn't wrong, though."
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-03-27 at 02:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Mara relaxed a little, and turned away to hide a smile at Vulcan's comment. She moved away from the window and called one of the staff in, chatting quietly with him about nothing in particular and giving out some vague directions - it was a front, mostly, and she kept her ears focused on the conversation happening on the other side of the glass.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Flo gives Vulcan a flat look, but nods.
    "She isn't wrong, though."
    "Well alright. I was trying to put on the show for your benefit Flouresce, but if everyone''s an "adult" here, I suppose I'll drop the act and get to my point."

Don stands up straight and his features begin to warp. His skin darkens, his potbelly pulls in a little bit. He grows a bit taller sturdier. As the spell completes, his clothing changes. No more subtle colors and plain suit, but armor and bright purple and orange. He draws a spear that was roped to his back, though it was not present a moment ago.

Spoiler
    Show

"Now, my friends, I come here seeking Flouresce's aid as a fellow Libertine!" he booms, his voice suddenly strong and deep. Have you not felt the change in this city? The spirit of creativity and potential that snakes through the land like a ribbon of scarlet fire? Such changes are a rare thing, a work of power that can be harnessed! But also a fragile thing, as are all things that are beautiful!

You saw that cup of tea, did you not? It was my choice to bring it peace and tranquility, for that is as tea should be. Have we found a piece of the supernal here on earth? How we at last found the road to the heavens so long withheld to us? I do not feign to know such lofty mysteries, but I know that we are in danger for what we have done, for what we may yet do. And we need your help, Floresce, as you might well have expected! Climb Mt. Victoria, stand upon the Moon island, set your feet in the Admiralty's center. If you are observant, you may find the leylines! Perfect them, I trust you shall find a way!"

He bows to the three Mages observing him.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-03-28 at 11:48 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #441

"The pyramids are beautiful," said Vulcan after a moment's thought, "and I wouldn't describe them as fragile."

For the most part she was watching the others and thinking.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Banned

Well, 동.

ĞI cannot help but feel that was spiteful.ğ Flo mutters in first tongue. "I think I see what you are getting at. We can certainly investigate." He continues to slide things around in his head. Waiting.

Waiting on a death goddess.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

"The pyramids are beautiful," said Vulcan after a moment's thought, "and I wouldn't describe them as fragile."

For the most part she was watching the others and thinking.
    "You have the most fascinating way of judging people, do you know that? Many things are thought beautiful, yet it is the beauty that is fragile. A pyramid is but a pile of stones, mortared with blood and tears! If there be beauty in it, it is a fragile thing indeed, and fleeting."

Well, 동.

ĞI cannot help but feel that was spiteful.ğ Flo mutters in first tongue. "I think I see what you are getting at. We can certainly investigate." He continues to slide things around in his head. Waiting.

Waiting on a death goddess.
    "It most certainly was spiteful, my friend!" He laughs, a deep bellow. "What was I to do, when you would neither remove your observation nor cease your inquiries, so insistent as you were that I reveal all at and with haste?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Mara was wearing the sort of expression that suggests the person wearing it is not conscious of how they currently look. There was some shock there, mixed with pain? And confusion? After a heartbeat, she collected herself and dismissed her company, striding over to the mirror-window.

"You know, Quixote, I would have been less suspicious if you'd just walked in like that. I get too many half-drunk scuzzballs as it is." Mara brought a smile to her face, only a little mechanically, and asked. "But I wonder, what windmills have you been tilting, lately?"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Mara was wearing the sort of expression that suggests the person wearing it is not conscious of how they currently look. There was some shock there, mixed with pain? And confusion? After a heartbeat, she collected herself and dismissed her company, striding over to the mirror-window.

"You know, Quixote, I would have been less suspicious if you'd just walked in like that. I get too many half-drunk scuzzballs as it is." Mara brought a smile to her face, only a little mechanically, and asked. "But I wonder, what windmills have you been tilting, lately?"
    "My god woman, I even made the reference already! Is that really all you've got to say? My windmills are a search for perfection! Chase an illusion, lest you find there is nothing left to chase at all!"

He pounds the butt of his spear into the ground with a decisive thump. "Again I say, the top of the mountain, the island of the moon, the center of the Admiralty! Stand, learn, perfect! That is my request. It is the aid I beseech of you, for it is a task beyond my instant powers."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #446

"You have the most fascinating way of judging people, do you know that? Many things are thought beautiful, yet it is the beauty that is fragile. A pyramid is but a pile of stones, mortared with blood and tears! If there be beauty in it, it is a fragile thing indeed, and fleeting."
    "No, the beauty is constant," said Vulcan. "You are just too transitory to appreciate it as such."

She then leaned back and went quiet, interested as the other conversations progressed.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

"No, the beauty is constant," said Vulcan. "You are just too transitory to appreciate it as such."

She then leaned back and went quiet, interested as the other conversations progressed.
    "Huh. Wouldn't expect that from a necromancer. How are you defining beauty?" Flo is genuinely intrigued enough to talk to V without baggage. It's probably a sight to see, especially if Mara has mind sight active.

28. - Top - End - #448

"Huh. Wouldn't expect that from a necromancer. How are you defining beauty?" Flo is genuinely intrigued enough to talk to V without baggage. It's probably a sight to see, especially if Mara has mind sight active.
    "Believe it or not, there is objective beauty in the universe, regardless of our opinions," said Vulcan. "To think beauty only has realisation in the decaying mind of a human being is beyond hubris. My definitions, therefore, don't count for anything and neither do yours."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

"That's an empty argument. It is also a distraction. How do you define beauty?"

30. - Top - End - #450

"That's an empty argument. It is also a distraction. How do you define beauty?"
    "Screw you," said Vulcan, rolling her eyes.