New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - OzzyKP

(No attack on me? Not complaining of course... And if the goblins moved around last turn, did either of us get any attacks of opportunity on them? )

Sándor continues to attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Great Sword - +8 attack, 2d6+3 damage
    Power Attack - -2 attack, +6 damage

Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[14]

Grrr.

HP 39
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 03:20 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

(All attacks made against you missed, but neither of you have gotten AoOs yet.)

Mirabelle continues to fight defensively. This time, though, she succeeds in landing a killing blow on one of the mounted goblins. She keeps the remaining foes at bay.

You however do not fare so well. You are unable to keep the enemy at bay, and twice you are struck by spear. Once is in your arm, causing you to miss your blow.

Take 8 damage.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

After killing hordes of demons, and squaring off against a mighty dragon Sándor is confused by how a few simple goblins are giving him such trouble. All he can do is continue to hack away at them. Oh, and heal himself first.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands: (2d6)[8]

Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[14]

HP 39 - 8 = 31

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle swings at the remaining goblin. As she wounds it, she brings her sword around and kills its dog mount. The goblin topples to the ground prone.

The goblin attempts to stand up, but Mirabelle takes the chance to finish it with a downward thrust of her sword. She then brings her shield up to catch the leaping dog at her right in the face.

You however do not fare nearly as well. Not only does one of the goblin spears get through your armor, but both of the beasts manage to tear chunks of flesh out of you with their vice-like jaws.

Take 19 damage.

Fort. save vs Allergic Reaction (DC 12): (d20+9)[23]
    Fort. save vs Allergic Reaction (DC 12): (d20+9)[23]

Fortunately, your graced fortitude is able to resist the filth that clings to their teeth.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-07 at 03:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

(haha, wow, I'm getting my ass kicked, help me Mirabelle, you're my only hope!)

Sándor can't believe these two goblins are tearing him apart. He believed this battle would be over quickly and he'd emerge with little more then a scratch on him, yet now he was wondering whether he'd even survive. Had the Three Thrones forsaken him? He winced in pain. He was now fighting for his life, he healed himself and then made the best attack he could muster. Hoping this time it would connect with his target.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands (second use, four left): (2d6)[3]

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[19]

HP 31 + 8 = 39 - 19 = 20 + 3 = 23

Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 03:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle executes the remaining dog with a mighty blow before moving to your defense, giving you a flank to the unwounded goblin.

The wounded goblin, realizing its companion is trapped and the tide of the fight has turned, withdraws across the bridge. The remaining one, either not noticing or determined to finish you off, thrusts once more with its spear. Its mount concentrates on helping it connect.

Take one damage.

The goblin manages to get in one more scratch on you before you bring down your sword and finish it off.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

(whew)

"Thank you for your assistance. These creatures put up more of a fight then I expected. But our work here is not yet finished. How are you feeling? Are you in need of healing?"

He heals himself and walks toward the bridge.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands (Third use, three more): (2d6)[6]

HP 23 - 1 = 22 + 6 = 28
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 04:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

You examine your companion. She's far worse for the wear; bruised and bloodied, you doubt she's any where near ready for another fight.

"Are you crazy?" she asks as you start to head for the bridge. "That was four of them. Four. Do you know how large that village is?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm, I did not realize how many were here. I assumed that since you were prepared to face them all by yourself, that the two of us could deal with them handily. Here, help me search their bodies, perhaps there is something useful or something that could provide us the information we seek."

Sándor heals both of them and then looks through the bodies of their slain foes.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands on me (Fourth use, two more): (2d6)[2]
    Lay on Hands on Mirabelle (Fifth use, one more): (2d6)[9]

If I have enough time, I take 20 on perception.
    If not then... (1d20+1)[15]

HP 28 + 2 = 30
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 04:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

You search through the gear, finding 3 potions amongst them. You decide to examine them further at a later date, as you hear the sound of drums again.

"We need to put as much distance between here and ourselves as possible," Mirabelle says.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor sighs. A difficult battle and three dead goblins, and nothing accomplished. This was not going to be his day.

"Very well, let's get back through the tunnel and seal it up again. Do you have any other ideas on how to track down your foe?"

(What were those three potions?)
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 04:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

(You need to identify them)

Mirabelle sighs. "If we have to, we can ask around any settlements we find. Anyone we find. Or maybe we could get help, come back with a better force. Sorry for dragging you into this; I didn't exactly go in with a plan."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

(How do I identify them? And should I assume we are now back in the chamber with my horse?)

"Well.. I suppose we should get back on the road. The goblins might come looking for us, but I don't know how far it is from their gate back to this road. We should hurry. I believe my horse can carry both of us. We will find some settlements."

The three of them leave the chamber and once again head out on the road.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-07 at 05:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

(Look up the potion rules)

You are back on the trail. After putting a reasonable amount of distance between you and the cave, you find a wagon next to the road. The horse is missing, and a pair of decomposing humanoid bodies lie next to it, crude arrows protruding from them. Carrion have already reached the bodies; they are no longer recognizable. Anything of value is missing.

You find a journal inside the wagon, apparently overlooked. It details how two young people from the city of Angrove sought to flee their diabolic masters and find a place to start anew. It is written in a very optimistic tone.

Mirabelle curses. "This world gets worse every day."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing an opportunity, Sándor says to her, "The world will continue to get worse until the good people of this world unite and fight back. As miserable as this world has become, I have hope. I have hope in the power of justice, and of love, and of righteousness."

Sándor was always wary of being 'preachy' but this Mirabelle has a strong heart and a good nature, perhaps she could be exactly what he's been looking for.

He continued, "Humanity lived for hundreds of years in peace, security and justice when they followed the virtues of the Three Thrones. It was then that man became prideful and instead of following the wisdom of the Three Thrones, sought power and mastery of this world.. and others. It was this fatal conceit that brought this time of troubles upon us."

"I..." he faltered ever so slightly, "I am the last of my order. An order of knights sworn to defend the innocent, uphold virtue, and overcome evil. I am on a mission to rebuild the order and close those cursed gates that brought the plague of hell into our world. It will not be easy, and I cannot do it alone, but it must be done. The tragedy that befell this family... and your village, cannot be allowed to keep happening. With the Three Thrones at my side, and the good people of this world united with me, I hope to put a stop to it."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle looks down the road.
    "A paladin. A real paladin. I didn't think there were any left in the world. And you saved my life. I owe you, for whatever it is worth. I would be honored to help you in the fight against evil. But I can't help but wonder how you plan on going about it. At least Gorgeroth is only mortal. I've seen what these fiends can do."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

"In the last few years I have killed many demons & devils, so much so that I seem to have attracted some rather unwelcome attention..."

Sándor's gaze unconsciously drifts to the sky. The knowledge that he is being hunted by dragons will not soon leave his conscious or unconscious mind.

"When wielded, the power of the Three Thrones can send these accused hell spawn back to where they came. We paladins.." he paused, remembering that there is no more 'we' left, "..a paladin is no mere warrior. A paladin is a holy warrior, bringing the divine grace and sacred power of the Three Thrones into the world. The power of good is one thing, I've found, that demons do fear."

Ok... time to make the pitch..."Actually... I think you could make a fine paladin yourself."

(OOC - What does happen when you kill a demon? Does it just go back home?)
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-08 at 12:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"...Maybe. I'll be honest, though, I'm not exactly the most religious person. Growing up, I found the village priest more of a nuisance than anything else. The man himself wasn't much of a friendly sort. The main topic of his sermons seemed to be how mortals had brought all of this destruction upon themselves, and that only by enduring the suffering could we be 'cleansed of our unworthiness.'"

Despite her reservations, you have the feeling that given enough time, you may eventually sway her.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"I understand how that would be a big turn off... just know that we are not all like that."

Sándor feels that is enough preaching for one day and says, "Well, let's be on our way. Gorgeroth isn't going to defeat himself."

Sándor continues their journey down the road.

(OOC - What happens when you kill a demon? Does it just go back home?)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

(I answered your question in the ooc thread.)
    Mirabelle keeps her piece for a moment, riding behind you silently in thought.

As you ride, you come round a bend in a rockier location to find a column of 3 skull-headed, vulture-like devils moving up the road. Upon the lead's back is perched an imp. Between the second and last is a bound prisoner.

"Begone, mortal. This is the business of the Harbinger. Do not interfere," says the imp.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor once again wonders why he choose such a busy highway to travel upon.

He tries to identify the creatures before him as he says, "What crime did this prisoner commit?"

Spoiler
    Show

(Can I see the prisoner? Is it a human?)
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+3)[18]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[13]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

You recognize the small devils as gaavs, lesser host devils. While not particularly powerful, they possess a keen tactical sense and are capable of coordinating their attacks. Hunters by nature, they are often sent to retrieve lost souls and bring them back to their infernal masters.

"I said,"
    the imp says as the gaavs ready their weapons, "This is none of your business. Begone, or die."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor reaches for his lance but whispers to Mirabelle, "What do you think? Unless you feel strongly otherwise, I'm inclined to just avoid a fight. If we pick a fight with every devil we see we won't make it very far."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle looks over the situation before responding. "I'm not entirely confident about our ability to win this, but I don't think I could just not try, either. I don't see the point in fighting if we're just going to leave people like him," she indicates the prisoner, "behind."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor was afraid she'd say that. But why stick our necks out if the prisoner is just another demon or devil? Let the fiends fight each other all they wish.

He cranes his neck to get a better look at the prisoner.

"Can you see the prisoner? It isn't worth risking our lives to save a demon, or another devil who ran afoul of his superiors."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+1)[8]
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-08 at 01:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

The prisoner is definitely human, in poor clothing, but that is about all you can tell.

It seems you've lingered too long for the imp's tastes. "Kill them," it says to the gaavs.

Initiative: (d20+1)[19]
    (You go first)
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-08 at 01:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

(battle map please! And how does combat work if we are both on the same horse? Can we both attack and charge enemies from the same horse?)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

(and another question, can I use my smite on one of the enemies, and then attack a different one?)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

(You can, but you can also use multiple smites at the same time. Not a lot of people seem to realize that.)
    (I can't find anything on it, but I'll say you can fight with Mira on with a -4 penalty to Ride checks)

(Map, fixed)
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-08 at 02:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

(the map is locked. What about my question regarding two riders on a mount?)