New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - OzzyKP

"Azkard is a dwarf city. The road passes by it, but it is nestled in the mountains. I've heard that it has stopped permitting visitors due to being short on supplies, specifically food."

At the entrance to the fort, you meet a hooded figure. He carries a bow, but has not pulled it back. A pair of knives are visible beneath his cloak. "That's close enough. You are surrounded. State your name and business here."
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Before responding Sándor takes a good look at the hooded figure standing in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show

Is he human, dwarf, demon, or what? This is pretty basic info that can make a big difference in how I react to things. Generally I don't think I should need to roll for basic info like this.

Even if I can't see his face, I'm sure by his height, shape, voice, or something I can at least discern the difference between a demon and a human.

Perception: (1d20+1)[12]
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

The figure is the right size to be a human, without any unusual features.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Addressing the cloaked man, Sándor says, "My name is Sándor, sacred defender of the Three Thrones and enemy of the unholy fiends who plague our land. My companions and I are weary from a dangerous journey and were hoping to merely spend the night sheltered in this fort. It appeared abandoned to us, but if it isn't, we will continue on our way. We did not mean to trespass."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[22]
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-08 at 09:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

The figure looks you over. "You don't look the indecent sort. Come with me."

He takes you inside the fort. You notice that, despite appearing abandoned, there is a garrison carefully concealed here.

You enter the main room of the fort. The room is dark, illuminated only by a few scattered candles. Long tables fill the room, at which sit only a few figures. You can feel their gaze upon you, sizing you up.

Your guide takes you to a large counter along the side of the room. Upon it sits everything from weapons and armor to food and drink. Hanging on the wall there are several animal trophies along with a large and ornate battleaxe. Behind it stands an amber-haired dwarf woman, her hand resting on a large and complex-looking crossbow. She regards you for a moment, her eyes staring into yours after scanning your form. After a moment, she bends over and retrieves a pair of clay flagons.

"They're good. Thank you Trevor, you were smart to bring them here; they look like they could use it." Trevor goes back outside.

The dwarf lady turns back to you. "Name's Gaeba Dunthal. Welcome to the Crossroads Inn. Didn't mean to startle you, but we can't just let anyone in these days. Trevor's job is to look out for decent folk in need of good food and bed, like you."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor was incredibly relieved to find a friendly inn. Civilization at last. After tripping over goblins, devils and dragons every step, he was so glad to find a safe place to rest. And rest he needed.

"Thank you so much for the hospitality, Ms. Dunthal. We traveled a very dangerous road to reach here, I am relieved to see some friendly faces. We would love some rooms, some food, some drink, some information and a stable for my horse."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba scoops out two large ladle fulls of steaming soup from the pot. Pouring them into wooden bowls, she sets them in front of you.

"Mushroom soup. Clan recipe a thousand years old. Granted, it's not the pinnacle of dwarven gourmet, but it will fill your belly and make you stout. Speaking of stout, what can I get you to drink?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds delicious, thank you much. I'll take whatever drink you recommend, just nothing fancy."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba pours two clay mugs full of a frothy brown ale. "This recipe is so old, no one remembers when it originated. I care not. 'Tis decent enough, and goes well with the soup." She indicates the hall, and its other denizens. "I recommend discussing the land with your fellow travelers; it's good to know whats out there. I've heard enough about the settlements, but they'll know about more rugged areas."

You see one of the figures, previously leaning on a wall in the far side of the room, step forward. In the dark light, you can tell his features are wild and almost beast-like, with a heavy jaw under a dark beard, low-set brow, and large canines poking out from under his lips. "Gaeba, perhaps I shall play for our new guests?"

"Now why would you want to do that? Are you trying to drive away my business?"

The half-orc produces a lute. Despite Gaeba's comment, his music is actually quite pleasant to listen to. While grim, you sense no evil within the room.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor enjoys the ale, enjoys the soup, and surprisingly, enjoys the music as well. A half-orc musician, who would have thought. But after two days of unexpected attempts on his life, he is happy to see something unexpected of a more benign nature.

After sharing a meal with his companions Sándor starts making the rounds. He talks to the bar keep, various patrons, the half-orc (after he's finished playing music) and anyone else in the establishment. He wants to know about this region he's found himself in. More about the area settlements, more about conflicts with the devils and demons, more about the political situation in the area, more about the patrons in the inn, more about orc raiders (Gorgeroth in particular), more about the gates, and any interesting stories, or rumors, or recent events that might help his journey. Oh, and more about the Harbinger as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, hitting a bit of writer's block, so I'm taking the easy way out and rolling for gather information instead of carrying on a dozen individual conversations. Of course, I will probably follow up with people individually after I have more to go on.

Diplomacy check (Gather Information): (1d20+11)[18]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Your attempts to strike up conversation with the other inhabitants of the tavern meet with limited success. As you hear, demons roam the lands in large hordes lead by the strongest of them, going where they please and tearing down any resistance they encounter. You hear vague rumors of mortal cults aiding them, but nothing concrete. They fight the devils, who seem to be based out of Angrove but are rumored to have hidden bases scattered throughout the land in locations only they know.

There does not seem to be much in the way of government in the land; it is every city for itself. The patrons seem to be an assortment of folk simply trying to find their way in the world.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing his broad attempts to gather information from the crowd meet little success, Sándor makes a more focused effort.

Turning back to Gaeba, he says, "That soup and ale were delicious, very filling indeed! You said that was an old clan recipe? From where does your clan hail? I don't suppose you are from Azkard?"

(And since conversations might take a lot of slow back and forth, I'm hoping you'll allow some flexibility for me to carry on two at once...)

Realizing he hadn't had a chance to speak much with his new companion, Sándor addresses the priest, "So Marcellus, how long have you been a priest of the Three Thrones?"
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-10 at 01:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

"Azkard..." Gaeba says, a strange tone in her voice that you think might be nostalgia. "An ancient city, in the true sense of the word. I remember the marble roads, the walls of bronze. It is the ancestral home of my clan, Dunthal, along with Ohrzam and Malduun. Thousands of dwarves live there." She sighs. "Great once. Now, thanks to stubbornness of the Housemasters, it is rapidly becoming a mausoleum. For too long they refused to account for the outside world, deciding it would be better to weather the storm by sealing the city off. Now, they starve behind their impregnable walls."

You address your companion, Marcellus. "My family, I am told, was a merchant house, well-to-do but not particularly powerful. My parents thought to gain the gods' favor by giving one of their children as an infant to the Temple. I don't particularly mind, as I find much contentment in my service." He thinks for a moment. "I wish you well, but I am not an adventurer. I think it would be best if I remained here and offered my services to the travelers that come through."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

A whole city starving... thousands of people, their lives in the balance. Sándor's heart went out to them, something... something must be done.

"Gaeba," replied Sándor, "Before... before this time of horrors we currently find ourselves in, did the dwarves of Azkard have much interaction with the Pryvirian Empire? Trade, alliances, friendships? And since they closed themselves off, have they been completely cut off? Have you spoken to any of your clan in the last few years?"

Listening to Marcellus, Sándor hears his words with a heavy heart.

"You are a good man Marcellus, and this world needs good men. But I think you are too modest. The devils captured you trying to free slaves. Freeing slaves! After spending years roaming the country you could have found a nice quiet temple in Whiteveil, or a house of healing in Stronghaven, but you didn't. You continued to roam. Continued to travel. Continued to find ways you could help those most in need of help. Not those protected by strong walls, but those outside of them who all too often fall victim to raids, and war, and slavers."

"That has been my mission," Sándor continued, "To protect those most in need of protecting. Like you have. But it hasn't been easy. My friend and mentor, Sir Alaric fell to a horrible demon while protecting a farm. I very nearly died trying to save a village not long ago. Heck, I am still half dead right now after saving you and Mirabelle in the last day and a half."

After that last sentence Sándor pauses for the briefest of moments, and looks at Marcellus with a hint of expectant hope, but then continues, "I am doing my best to make this world a safer place and push back the evil that ruins our land, but I can't do it alone."

"I..." Sándor hated asking for help, but ask he must, "I need you. You wish to provide your services to travelers who come through here, but, based on my past experiences, I can promise you that none of them will find themselves more in need of healing than I."

Sándor lets out a small self-depreciating chuckle at that, and then continues, "Together we can do many great things. Freeing slaves is only the beginning. As far as I know my order was completely destroyed. Sir Alaric and I spent many years traveling the realm seeking out our lost brethren, but never found any. It seems that I am the last paladin of the Three Thrones. The last one. I intend to rebuild the order. I remember my days training at the citadel of Mount Jóisten, many noble knights trained me in combat and prepared my body, but there were many priests there who prepared my soul. As you said on the road, the hand of providence brought us together, you are needed with me. Together we can train a new order of paladins, a holy army to put right the wrongs of this world. To drive back the fiends and restore peace to this world. A world where the goodness of the Three Thrones again holds power over the hearts of men."

"Please Marcellus, please join me.." he looks over at Mirabelle, "join us in this important task."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[24]

And, what the hell, I'll use my Inner Beauty trait (I forgot about it!) to add +4 to my Diplomacy roll. So 28 total.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-10 at 01:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Marcellus seems deeply moved by your words. "It would be poor of me to walk the comfortable path when others go forth to serve in my place. You are right; I must serve where I am needed. Thank you for showing this to me."

Gaeba responds to your question. "I left Azkard many years ago, after becoming fed up with knowing the world outside was suffering while my people stayed content to sit in their holes doing nothing. In the past, the dwarf cities would often trade with the empire, exchanging gold, jewels, and the fine works of our artisans for textiles, food, spices, and other such things we could not make ourselves. In ages past, we may even take up arms together against such foes as goblins, orcs, and evil dragons."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Things were starting to look up. Sándor was thrilled to have Marcellus join him, "I am very honored to have your help and your company. I greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in me and my mission. I will not let you down."

Thinking this might be a good moment to resolve an issue that has been in the back of his mind that day, he hands Marcellus those three potions he recovered from the goblins, "I don't suppose you could identify these?"

Turning back to Gaeba Sándor says, "Ah, you left the city, so it is possible to come and go from Azkard. Do you have any members of your clan who feel as you do, that the city should reconnect with the world? I am new to this area, but I hear there is a friendly human city nearby, Whiteveil. I would love to, at a minimum, reignite trade between the two so your people can be fed. Do you think that would be at all possible? Or do you have any clan members inside who could help me?"

Sándor knew he had many things on his agenda. Saving the Dwarf city, finding Gorgeroth, rebuilding the paladins, driving out the fiends, and much more. He knew he would have to prioritize, but it would help him to know first what needed to be done and what could be done, then he could decide what to do first.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba shrugs. "I've been out of touch so long I'm not even certain if anyone is still alive that knows my name. I will warn you though; when I left, vagrants were not permitted within the city. If you wish to enter, you are going to need some form of authority to do so."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

(and Marcellus?)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Marcellus takes the vials from you. "I'll let you know what I find," he says as he begins to examine them.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor next walks over to the half-orc lute player. He offers his hand in greeting and says, "I am Sándor, holy servant of the Three Thrones, and enemy of evil. I have been listening to your music, and have quite enjoyed it. I'd love to hear your story."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am Davkas, the last bard of Mistroad. I wandered far and wide, seeking tales and adventure. Alas, fate decided to force me away from this course. The fiends arrived, and I found myself in a great meatgrinder. I would not have survived if I had not encountered Lady Dunthal. She gave me shelter and an opportunity to practice my craft."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am pleased to meet you Davkas. I admit I am rather new to this area and am not familiar with Mistroad, please tell me more."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

The half-orc chuckles warmly.

"I thought not. The Mistroad is the path of destiny that all travel but few see. Some would look at the world and see many roads, but in truth there is but one. You begin to walk it when you step out your door, and you never know where it will take you. "

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor is glad to hear laughter, even from a mug as ugly as this one. "Ah, I misunderstood you, I thought Mistroad was a city or kingdom. But if it is a path of destiny, how are you the last bard of Mistroad? If all travel it, then surely there are other bards."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

"None know the stories I know, none the secrets. The bards of the Mistroad were one of the oldest and most lore-versed troupe in the tradition, reaching back as far as the Time of Dragons. Now I'm the only one left."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"I understand your situation better than you know," replied Sándor with a sympathetic look, "I am the last paladin. I am on a mission to rebuild my order. Perhaps you could do the same with the Mistroad bards."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

"That is one of the reasons I remain here. So that I may tell my stories to those who pass. Ahh, your companion returns," Davkas says, indicating Marcellus. He carries the potions from before.

-Jump
    -Magic Fang
    -Remove Paralysis

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, thank you Marcellus. Not the potions I was hoping for, but I suppose we'll figure out a use for these eventually."

Turning back to Davkas Sándor says, "Well, it was nice talking with you, I wish you luck in your quest to rebuild your troupe. And if you are ever interested in seeking out more tales and adventure, I encourage you to come with me. I seem to find more of both than anyone could ever hope to find. I'm sure we could help each other out greatly."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

"I thank you for your offer. If you would like to tell of any of your adventures, I would be grateful to hear of them."

The evening begins to grow late, and some of the patrons begin to retire.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"In the morning perhaps, I've had a long day of killing goblins, killing devils and rescuing prisoners. A nice comfortable bed sings a siren's song more alluring than any you could produce with that lute."

Sándor returns to Gaeba and asks for two rooms (one for Mirabelle, and one for Sándor and Marcellus). He wishes Mirabelle good night, and then retires to his room.

When he and Marcellus are alone he says, "I don't suppose you have any healing spells remaining for today? I am still very injured from our last battle, I need every bit of healing you've got left if I'm going to make it through another day."