New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - OzzyKP

Marcellus removes some herbs, presumably acquired from Gaeba. "My magic is spent, but I do possess knowledge in more mundane healing arts. These should help you recover as you sleep."

Recover twice the number of hitpoints from sleeping.

Total cost for night:
    Ale x3: 12 cp
    Food x3: 9 sp
    Lodgning x2: 10 sp
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-11 at 02:12 PM.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

(any charge for stabling and feeding my horse?)
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

(That's 5 cp for feed, 5 sp for stabling)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Refreshed from a good night's sleep, but still in need of healing, Sándor casts Cure Light Wounds on himself, and Lay on Hands before donning his armor.

After getting dressed, and making sure Mirabelle and Marcellus are awake, he goes downstairs to order some breakfast for the three of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[8]
    Lay On Hands: (2d6)[5]

HP = 18 + 8 (rest) = 26 + 13 (Healing) = 39

Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-11 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

You finish your morning prayers, commence with healing yourself, and head to find your companions. Mirabelle is still asleep, but Marcellus is in the common room, quietly talking to a young man and woman. The couple look weary, weathered, and scared, but the priest's words are comforting.

"Good morning, Sándor," Marcellus says as you approach, "I was wondering what your plans were for the day."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose we should eat some breakfast, get some supplies and make for Whiteveil."

Not terribly interested in walking the whole way, Sándor says, "Marcellus, can you ride? Do you think there is a horse here for purchase?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think I could manage, so long as we don't actually get into any fighting. Finding one will be difficult though; there aren't exactly that many around."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor approaches Gaeba at the bar and says, "Good morning! First of all, I'd like some breakfast for my companions and I. And.. I don't suppose you have a horse for sale here?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba sighs. "Can't help you with the horses, but I can get some food for you."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor orders food.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

You eat your food, but while you are finishing, Marcellus finds you. "I did some asking around this morning, and I found someone who recognized the name Gorgeroth."

He leads you to a wizened old figure wearing a tattered cloak. "I know the orc you speak of. Last time I saw him, he was holed up in the old elf fort Lindekaima." He gives you directions. "Not sure if he's still there, but 't would be the best place to start. Put out an eye for me."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor thanks the old man for his help, and thanks Marcellus for finding him. He has a few follow up questions for the old man though, "How long ago did you see him at the elf fort? What were you doing there and how many orcs did he have with him? About how far a journey is it from here?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

"About a fortnight ago, I saw a band of orcs encamped at the fort, I'd say no more than a hundred and no less than fifty. They were under his banner; I've seen it before. 'Tis about, hmm, a ten-day's ride from this place, assuming you've got a strong steed."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you very much for the information, this brigand will face justice, I promise you that."

Sándor looks around for Mirabelle, eager to tell her that he found information about her foe.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle comes downstairs shortly thereafter. When you inform her of the news, it sparks a fire in her eyes.

"We should get going immediately," she says. "I don't want to lose him, not when we know where he is."

"Don't be hasty," Macellus says. "The three of us, against fifty to a hundred orcs? That isn't a winning proposition; we need a plan."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"What is close to Lindekaima? Any friendly cities we could go to for reinforcements?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba gets out a dusty old parchment. "This is a map of the nearby area," she says. "It's not complete by a long shot, but it might help you out."

You take a look at the map, ignoring things such as what territory belongs to what farm, most of which probably don't exist anymore.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-16 at 11:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor is very excited to see a map of the area. Finally, something to properly get his bearings. He examines the map closely, but is disappointed to see the distances involved. If Lindekaima is a 10-days ride away then Whiteveil must be roughly 20 days away in the opposite direction. Much too far to go to for help. Plus, with only one horse and three people, any journey will take even longer.

He did have some more questions.

"What is this mine north of Lindekaima? Also.." Sándor tried to recall the road signs he saw yesterday at the crossroads, "I believe Vit.. Vitharn is the first city to the east. How far is that from Lindekaima? The map cuts off."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

"I remade this map from an old, damaged copy I found. Some of the names didn't survive. As for Vitharn, you see that river? Follow it until you get to an elven bridge, then follow that road north. As the crow flies, its the distance and half again than to Whiteveil from here, but will likely take longer on the ground. Word of advice, though; don't expect help from the elves."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you for the help Gaeba, it is much appreciated."

Turning back to his companions Sándor says, "Well, I am at a loss and am open to suggestions. We can't face down 50-100 Orcs on our own, nor do we want to risk them getting away, and it seems we can't count on help from anyone. I prefer handling situations diplomatically if possible, but from what you've told me about this Gorgeroth character, it doesn't seem like there is much hope there."

Sándor liked coming up with plans and thinking his way out of problems, but this time he was truly stuck. Hopefully Mirabelle or Marcellus had some better ideas. "Can you two think of any options I'm not considering?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle thinks for a minute. "We could try scouting the area of the fort, and see if we can find any weaknesses."

Marcellus looks around. "It would be a long shot, but we might ask our fellows if any of them would be willing to aid."

"We don't have much to offer, so we can't really afford mercenaries."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

While their options were indeed limited, the suggestions from his companions gave Sándor enough inspiration to give it a shot. Perhaps they could find some critical weakness of the Orc band that could lead to their downfall. Perhaps they could just track their movement until a larger force were rallied. Perhaps they could simply pick off any stragglers they find out of the range of reinforcements. Or perhaps... well, perhaps they'll think of something better on the way. Either way, it must be attempted.

He especially liked Marcellus' suggestion to enlist more aid. His conversations last night bore little fruit, but with a specific target in mind perhaps he could inspire more assistance. He brought in his companions close and told them that yes, they would go to Lindekaima, but they would need more help. With all other friendly locations too far away, they must seek help here. He told them to follow his lead and give him support.

He took a moment to gather his thoughts and clear his throat. Then, Sándor rapped his knuckles on the table and brought silence to the small inn. When he had everyone's attention the shining knight rose to his feet, slowly but confidently. He addressed the inn.

"Hear me Crossroads Inn!" he bellowed, "Hear me! For today may be the most important day of your lives! This day may be the day you tell your children and grandchildren about!"

He looks over at Davkas and continues, "This day may be written about in song and epic and remembered for centuries to come! Why? Because today is the day we fight back!"

"For too long have we endured the vile fiends that plague our lands, rape our women and massacre our children. Not a person in this room has escaped the trauma of the last few years. We have endured countless acts of unspeakable horror and misery. Well I say enough! Enough! We will not take one more step back. We will not stand by as our kin are slaughtered at the hands of outsiders. We will not retreat from the attacks of evil any longer! We will fight back and drive this curse from our lands!"

With these words Sándor raised his fist in the air triumphantly and was glad to hear Marcellus and Mirabelle support him with a cheer. To move any crowd, there had to be those in the audience who spoke up first, those who led the way for the others to follow. He was glad to have the aid of his companions in guiding the crowd. (OOC: i.e. aid another bonuses from both I hope)

Building the excitement of his speech Sándor takes a step up on a chair and continues "And yes I say 'we' to mean us all. All of us at this inn here today will be a part of the turning back of the darkness and the triumph of the light. I look out over this bleak and dreary inn, in this bleak and dreary country and I do not see despair. I do not see submission. I see hope. I see defiance. I see the faces of heroes yet to ascend. Our world has collapsed around us, but do we grovel at the hands of a red-skinned master? No!"

Again he is glad to hear cheers punctuate his last line.

"Those of us here today have braved the dangers of the road, refusing to submit, refusing to cower behind tall walls. Despite all the risks we have continued to live our lives, continued to carry on. Because deep down we know that this life is worth living! With all its problems, there is good in this world, and good will never lay down before evil. We will never lay down. We will continue on. Because we know that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

"Which is why each of us, in our own way, have made our fight against evil,"
    Sándor decides to call out individuals in the room, pointing them out as he addresses them,"Far from the strong walls of Azkard, our lovely mistress Gaeba runs this establishment out here in the frontier to provide a safe bed for the good people who continue to make their way in this world. She does not cower, she does not submit, she pushes onward! And Trevor here stands with her, putting his life on the line to defend this inn and keep it safe from any fiends who may pillage it. And Marcellus, a goodly man of the Three Thrones, he is no warrior yet he risked his life to rescue slaves from the devils in this land. And Davkas, the last of his troupe, has come here to provide some lightness and beauty in our otherwise dreary lives. And finally Mirabelle. Mirabelle who suffered, as many of us here have, through seeing her entire village burn to the ground at the hands of an evil orc warlord known as Gorgeroth. The flame of everyone she knew, extinguished by a vicious band of orc thugs. Without the law and safety provided by the Empire these scattered bands of raiders have been free to prey upon the weak and defenseless. No doubt all of us have been affected by Gorgeroth or someone like him. Yet Mirabelle did not despair. She did not give up. All she had ever known was destroyed and she did not run, she sought justice. She sought to put an end to the senseless slaughter. She sought to defend the defenseless. She, like everyone in this room, is a hero."

"When we think of heroes we think of demi-gods and saviors, men and women who come out of no where and cast out the wicked single-handedly. This makes for a good poem or song, but this is never reality. No hero can do great deeds alone. We all need support. Support from other good men and women united around a common purpose. With out that, even the strong will falter. I have watched Mirabelle strike fear into the hearts of devils and goblins alike, she is a fierce and noble warrior, but if I had not happened upon her she would have been slain in a mountain cave. And Marcellus is a wise and holy man of the Three Thrones, as brave as he is honorable. Yet he was on his way to a fiendish prison when Mirabelle and I came upon him. And I would have been killed many times over were it not for the courageous help of my friend and mentor, the fallen Sir Alaric."

"This is why I come to you today, to enlist your aid. That barbarous creature who destroyed Mirabelle's village is still at large. For four years she has tracked this band of orcs, for four years they have cost untold thousands of innocent men, women and children their lives and livelihoods. And now, after four years of tracking him, she now knows where Gorgeroth is hiding. Now, at last, we have a chance to put an end to this scourge. To avenge the deaths of many of our kin and to stop the deaths of many more. Today is the day that we say enough! Today is the day we join together to take a stand!"

"We intend to travel to Lindekaima and scout out these orcs and then find a way to defeat them once and for all. We need everyone's help. Supplies, provisions, equipment, and most of all we need brave souls willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with us as we take a stand against evil. Come with us! Men! Women! Dwarves! Half-Orcs! Elves! And anyone else who wants to fight back against the darkness, join us! We will deliver a blow for righteousness and turn back the tide of evil!"

Sándor could tell his words were having an impact. It was time to wrap up. Calling upon the arcane power he dabbled with as a child, he uses Prestidigitation to polish his armor until it shines and glistens like a brilliant diamond. The perfect image of a knight in shining armor, he is the true embodiment of his words, a shining light to push back the darkness.

Stepping up fully on the table now his voice becomes louder, more forceful. At the citadel he was always told that he was the most inspirational and charismatic paladin there, he hoped all his personal magnetism would turn the tide.

"This is the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our realm today. There will be danger, yes but it is my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. Now is the time to advance! Now is the time to push forward against the darkness! In every dark hour of the life of our people a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support and aid in these critical days to come. With the good people of this land - and of this inn - united together and the Thrones watching over us always, we shall prevail! We will be the light in the darkness, we will push back demon, and devil, and barbarian horde alike! We will stand firm where others falter! We, together, will prevail!"

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, I'm still a bit new at skill checks and such, so bear with me as I talk this out. For diplomacy, I have to do two rolls, right? One to adjust attitude and one to make a request? Can I take 10 on both?

I have an innate +11 modifier, and I'm going to use my Inner Beauty trait to get another +4, so +15 total. I'm hoping also for Aid Another points from Mirabelle and Marcellus, but I'll let you figure that out. So if I take 10 and have a +15 modifier, that comes out to 25 total, right?

So, assuming the audience is indifferent, they have a DC of 15 (plus charisma modifier, but probably won't be more then 5). So regardless of the charisma modifier I should beat the DC by more then 5, right? So all friendly and indifferent people in the room will be moved to helpful, correct?

And if I take 10 again for the request part, everyone should have a DC of 10 or 15 (since I'm making a dangerous request, or one that could result in punishment) but since I've got a total of 25, even if you combine both of those, I get the roll, right?

Let me know if I'm doing that right.

If I'm wrong about any of those mechanics, or if I'm not allowed to take 10 here, then I'll roll. But wow, I would just cry if I rolled a 1 after all that, haha. Just let me know.

Edit: Hah, wow I wrote a lot. I might have over done it a bit.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-17 at 10:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Your first words catch the attention of the bar patrons. Sullenly, they look up at you, weariness and despair plain on their faces. It is not to last, though.

As your companions cheer, you notice some of the more battle-proved denizens look on with further interest. Talk of glory and vengeance seems to draw them out of their defeatist stupor.

You indicate those who you know by name. As you do, some of the more fearsome inhabitants stand up, raising their weapons into the air. At this, even the more timid and battered members of the crowd seem to get swept up in the fervor. As you mention Gorgeroth's name, you hear several especially vitriolic swears shouted out; it seems there are several in the room with a grudge against the orc warlord.

You conclude your great speech, rising upon the table in your shining armor. Your every sentence is punctuated by a roar from the crowd. A vast assortment of weapons, even fists, are raised in the air.

A figure in a dark corner of the room stands up, and struts up to you. He is a large man, body covered in sculpted musculature. A pair of twisted horns curl out of his temple, and a barbed tail emerges from the base of his back. Curving, jagged tattoos cover his bare torso, arms and face.

At the sight of him, the assembled crowd briefly grows quiet.

"For my entire life, I have lived under a singular code. I go where I wish, and I do as I wish. You seem to desire my aid, and I must ask you this: When you are finished, where will I stand?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Not expecting a man of his appearance in the inn, Sándor takes a brief moment to consider the one who rose to speak.

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Evil

Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+3)[18]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+6)[10]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

You sense no evil on this man. You believe him to be a tiefling, a mortal with fiendish blood.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Beaming in pride at the reaction from the crowd, Sándor has nothing to fear from the Tiefling who speaks now. Confidently he says to the man, "When we are finished you may go where you wish and do as you wish. As you can do right now. I seek out all who desire to do battle with evil. I hope they will continue to do battle as long as evil continues to plague our land, and I hope they will remain at my side until that mission is complete. But I cannot coerce your continued assistance, your path is your own."

"And if you are instead inquiring about your heritage, I care not. If you have charity toward the poor and defiance to the tyrant, you are my friend. If you show compassion to the weak and resistance to the oppressor, you are my companion. If you destroy evil and uphold good, you are my ally. If you put your life on the line in defense of the innocent then you shall forever be known as my brother. Tails, fur or fangs, none matter but your content of your soul."

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 on Diplomacy again. Only +11 this time.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-18 at 01:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Garm considers your words. "I do not have, and never will, a compulsion to lend aid to anyone other than myself. I've been scorned as often as not for my blood, and walk my path alone. However, your words are true enough, at least to the point that they justify cracking skulls, which I am already inclined to do."
    "I must warn you, however, of the danger of taking me as a companion. The dark power of the abyss flows in my blood, and it is both a boon and a curse. In combat, I can call upon its fury to unleash a bloody death upon my foes. However, I risk succumbing to it, and falling into madness. If this happens, I will be unable to tell friend from foe."

"I do not succumb easily, and I can control it in all but the most deadly of times. It has saved my life on numerous occasions. Nevertheless, the threat is there."

"Do you still desire my companionship?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fighting evil is a dangerous job. In the last two days alone I have fought goblins, devils and a dragon. I'm sure the days to come will be as dangerous, if not more, then the days past. If you will be a loyal, and stable ally 90% of the time helping me fight off these dangers, it is far preferable to facing these dangers with 0% of your help. The 10% (or less) of the time when you are no longer a stable ally in control of himself, is a chance I am prepared to take and an issue I will have to deal with when the time comes. I still desire your companionship."

Turning then to address the rest of the room Sándor says, "I say again, I welcome all who are prepared to join my fight against evil! Only by standing together can the good people of this world turn back the darkness. This task before us will not be easy, and will not be won without terrible cost, but it will be won! Together we will see victory over the fiends who destroy our land!"

Understanding that others in the room may be more hesitant to ally with a tiefling, Sándor addresses that directly, "Even the spawn of the fiend joins our side! I welcome his help, as should you all. When even the children of the demons rise up against their evil ancestors and seek to stop their crimes, we know that victory is at hand!"
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-18 at 03:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

"You should start your preparations," Gaeba says. "It looks like you have about three dozen volunteers. May be enough if the orcs are on the lower side in numbers, or are weakened. If you want my advice, observe your enemy. Learn where they are strong and where they are weak."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor nods at Gaeba's sound advice.

He relays the advice to his newfound army, "Alright, men! (and women) Let us take the next two hours to get provisions for the road, pack up our belongings, and otherwise prepare for the trip. I understand it is a 10-day ride, and as we might not have enough horses to go around, it'll take longer on foot."

A plan begins to form in his mind, but, as always, he needs more information to carry it out, "We need to be careful here. We don't know what we're up against, so we need to be sure they don't either. We should travel in two groups, an advance group of perhaps five or so to make sure the road is clear of scouts and any others who might report the presence of a large band of warriors on the road back to Gorgeroth. They will arrive at Lindekaima first and scout out the orc fortress and prepare a plan for when the rest of you arrive."

Looking around at the motley assortment of volunteers Sándor says, "All of you please check in with me individually and let me know your background, expertise, and any talents you have that could serve us well on the advance team. Stealth will be important, but we also need a way to relay information back to the main troop."

"Alright! Check in with me, and then let's prepare for the road! Gorgeroth's days are numbered!"
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-19 at 01:47 PM.