New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Of What Kind - My fantasy comic with a Kickstarter!

Hey everyone,

Long time forum lurker here, and I decided to throw my hat in the ring and show you my comic!

For the past few years I've been drawing a fantasy webcomic called Of What Kind on my website Good Show, Sir!

It's about anthropologists being sent to find the eggs laid by a time traveling fish god. Things get complicated and dangerous and weird very quickly from there. I'm about 100 pages in (though I have about 200 drawn so far), and I've recently started a Kickstarter to print the first volume.

If you back it you can get the book, PDFs, minicomics, shirts, original art or illustrations, and stickers!

Here's some more art, I'd love to hear people's thoughts!

Lemme know what you think!
    -Adam Szym
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/adamszym
    Tumblr: http://goodshowsir.tumblr.com
    Last edited by adamszym; 2013-05-22 at 08:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Of What Kind - Time travel fantasy comic!

If you guys back it at the $75 or $120 I'll draw you an illustration of a monster or D&D character, here's an idea of what that could look like:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Of What Kind - Time travel fantasy comic!

Here are some more pages for you guys to check out!

Let me know what you think, I'd love some feedback!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Of What Kind - My fantasy comic with a Kickstarter!

I updated the Kickstarter with info on some MINICOMICS ya can get if you back the project! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/486793

Here's a look at the books:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Default KICKSTARTER Update!

Hey guys I wanted to update you folks! The Kickstarter is at around 41%, with 18 days remaining! Any help you guys can offer, whether it's backing the project or reblogging it on Tumblr or Twitter would be deeply appreciated.

>>>>>>HERE'S THE KICKSTARTER<<<<<<

Over on MY WEBSITE I posted the first page of a new intermission story called The Dripping. Hope ya like it!

Thanks guys!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd just have to say that it looks amazing.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'd have to say that while the art style looks good and distinctive, the writing style is atrocious.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Not exactly what I would call constructive criticism, but if you feel like coming out of the jackass closet, it's no skin off my back!

But seriously...not as atrocious as fan fiction or deviantart poetry, surely?

EDIT: Knee jerk reaction to a post I misconstrued as trolling.
    Last edited by adamszym; 2013-05-31 at 09:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

No need to be attacking or shoving people into "jackass closets". I meant not the form of writing, but the font, the way it's put onto the page and thus part of the art style, in a sense (which is why I used the word style, while font would've been better, but I couldn't come up with the word at the time). The Ts resemble Ys and the Os look almost like hourglasses, among other things. Only the parts where a character is speaking are the words actually readable. When the narrator picks up, it becomes a grating experience that makes it hard to enjoy the story, or the art surrounding it, lessening the work of both artist and writer, because it decreases the will to read.

With regards to level of atrocity relative to fanfiction and deviantART poetry, I couldn't say, story-wise. There's a lot of good stuff in those incredibly broad, generalized categories.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-05-31 at 06:39 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey man! Total misunderstanding, I've just encountered too many trolls on the internet that I guess I assumed you were speaking negatively about the writing itself, with no real advice to offer!

Now that I understand that you were talking about the actual VISUAL style of the writing, then that's actually enough of a critique as you stated it. I'll look into clarifying the lettering for sure.

I apologize for knee-jerk reacting! Thought you were being a jerk for no reason, but you weren't, and I haven't read any of your fan fiction or poetry, I was just trying to show you how unhelpful criticism felt! I have no actual reason to think it's atrocious.

Again, apologies, and thanks for clarifying!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi guys! Me again!

There's only 3 DAYS LEFT on my Kickstarter to print my comic! If you want a copy of the book in PDF or print form, not to mention shirts, stickers, and more, PLEASE back my project and help me out!

HERE'S THE KICKSTARTER PAGE

And some new pages of Of What Kind:

Thanks, guys!