New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Path to the Throne

Spoiler
    Show
    Well we all know what I am doing (1d20+7)[10] Arcane (1d20+7)[22] Local (1d20+7)[20] history (1d20+7)[22] Spellcraft

As the man seated at Ocelevos' right begins to shudder slightly I turn in his direction curious that another has used magic to alter their identity. But as the wizard is revealed it is clear to see why. So they got Aaron Malthrenarthiyr the Black. This just got more interesting and a lot more clear. I would not doubt him even being the real head and Ocelevo being the decoy. And although I am surprised by the appearance of this particular wizard I knew there was something more then what was being shown going on and sure enough their was. Though this was indeed a surprise. So its true what they, you being able to master the ability to use your magic in an anti magic field. Very impressive Aaron. As for my personal agendas I have none at this moment. Well besides learning the skill that Aaron has learned that is. I say to those assembled before us looking around the table to see if it is the same for the others. I am not one to take gifts freely or first. I will consult with my master though to see if he has any requests.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2013-01-24 at 02:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the Heads of Hydra can indeed offer help to its members, a test is in order. A minor favor, to see what is requested in turn.

"I was recently prohibited access to the Census and Directories of magicians, told that it was the result of a recent edict passed down. Perhaps you--" Ocelevos, he means, but he leaves it open to anyone in the room-- "could help me to ascertain why exactly that is."

There. It signaled cooperation and buy-in with the group, but didn't expose any deeper plans. And it would be good to regain that access.
    My Winter Warrior sweeps the awards at Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition X!
    Avatar by Mr. Saturn ** My Homebrew Signature[/SIZE]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

"We could dig deeper into the reason why if you would like, but I suspect it is due to the emperor's ever increasing paranoia," replies Ocelevos, "And I will see about getting a copy of the Directories for you.
    Anyone else?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

As Ocelevos asks again if we need any favors done from him I once again reply with the same calm even tone I have been using as I wait for a servant to come take the plate from in front of me. As I have said before I shall have to contact my master to see if he would like something. But at this time I need nothing. Perhaps though you may need something done in my neck of the woods? After all sealing our agreement should be done as a group effort. And as I have nothing that needs to be done right now that I can not do myself besides learning the abilities to cast spells in an anti magic field, it is only fair that I offer my assistant to you in my home town. I say to those assembled wondering who will take the bait.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ethan nods his assent. "Excellent. My thanks."

As Loss speaks, he fishes out the ring and examines it closely.

6. - Top - End - #36

"We have no need for any immediate actions in Myr as of yet, but thank you for the offer. We will surely let you know when the might of Arytekothar." Ocelevos smiles politely.

"I would like to be made President of the Smith's Guild," offers Abram, "Every election I am hedged out by just a few votes, and I am quite sure it is by no coincidence!" He pounds his fist on the table to articulate his point.

Just then two servants bearing a large platter on poles enter the room, and you know now why such a large, empty space was left on the table.
    On the platter is a roasted Six-Horned Stag.
    A royal deer.
    Stealing, killing, or even eating just a bite of one is considered treason and punishable by death.
    To top it off, a golden apple has been put in it's mouth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Effectively adding insult to injury(or in this case, treason). Golden Apples only grow on one tree in the Emperor's private garden and are for his consumption only; they are sweeter and juicier than any other apple, and have ability to remove fatigue, remove poison, heal sickness and injury, and cure disease.

Ocelevos and the man to his right stand up and move their chairs so that the servants can place the stag on the table.
    "Now we shall see who is willing to cast their lot with Hydra and alter the course of history!" he exclaims triumphantly. "...Who will partake of this dish fit only for kings?"

There is a feeling of trepidation among the nobles at the table, with the exception of Nathar. Abram is the first to take a bite, reaching out slowly with his fork and knife, but never taking his eyes off of Delgarias. You wait.
    Abram doesn't choke and Ocelevos doesn't transform into the emperor. No guards break into the room to arrest him.

Surprisingly, Kael is the next to take a bite, reaching out with a steady hand and taking quite a large piece.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2013-01-27 at 01:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

As eyes are on the stag, Ethan stands, placing his napkin on his seat. He walks a few steps over to Juno and murmurs, "We should confer."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Whether by design, or by stalling as she would have quite the number of problems to give to the Hydras for solving, Juno is cut off from explaining what it is she would have of them by the arrival of the main course.

Her hand flies to her mouth, the only break in character she suffers at this point, but not for the reasons one may expect. Her face composes a moment before Ethan arrives and she nods.

"Unless you would force our hands, my bold host, I must agree with my ...neighbor. May we have a moment?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

9. - Top - End - #39

"If you must..." He says with a dismissive wave of his hand.

The room is quite large giving you plenty of space for quiet conversation between its corners and the table in the center of the room.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Though she's not wearing a dress to drive the effect home, in her surcoat Juno glides up from her hair and before Ethan may be aware, she's guiding him (and only him) over to a corner by the hand. She's careful to move at an angle rather than turn her back completely on Ocelevos or his congregation.

Picking the closest corner and finally turning to face Ethan, her face is masked with apprehension. "Well?" she hisses, dread mounting with each moment she's away from the table.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ethan speaks quickly and quietly to his fellow Kubland native for a moment, then inclines his head slightly and steps aside, allowing her to head back to the table first.
    Last edited by 4th number; 2013-01-27 at 10:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno whispers something back. Then, as if the entire thing didn't happen, she strides with purpose back towards the table.

She doesn't resume her seat. Instead, the young baroness stands against the table with the stag between her and Ocelevos, her features a porcelain mask of complacency as she looks down at the main course, and then the man who provided it.

"Druids and their traditions must truly be a dying lot in our age..." she begins before putting a foot up on the table, scandalously, and clearly not giving a damn what anyone thinks, either.

"The six horned stag is off limits to warder such as myself; the rarity of such an animal makes it unfit for my consumption, no matter what any King's Law says otherwise."

That being said, however, Juno finds it best to prove her loyalty, such as it is, anyway and wrenches the golden apple from it's maw and bites a huge chuck out of it. And another. And another. She eats the entire damn thing in front of Ocelevos before waltzing back to her seat, including the core. Juno takes her chair as if this were a matter of fact and looks evenly at Ocelevos and his wizard buddy.

"But I am not an unreasonable woman. Speaking for Lord Adar and myself as the combined voice of Kubland, I will have your favor now, and you will have at your wiles and your.... our new history.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2013-01-27 at 10:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ethan returns to his place and stands behind his chair as Juno begins her performance. He starts with a dour expression on his face, but by the time Juno remarks on the shared voice of Kubland, he looks downright amused.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

As the stag is brought into the room once again I am at a lose for words and as we are all offered the forbidden fruit a smile comes to my face and with a bow, as the Juno and Ethar head over to the corner. For Hydra then. May those among us never betray their fellows or they shall face a dragons wrath. I say to those assembled, knowing full and well the reputation I have in my own place for bearing half dragon blood, and hoping most here believe the same. If only magic was not being nullified in this area I could do my normal tricks to make it known. But no matter. And with that I cut a large piece off of the stag and eat it.

As the other two come back and join us I watch on courisou as to what was said. I would have to keep an eye on those two. They were from the same land. And if I could not win Juno over she was a potential threat. As was Ethar as he had a good wit and I knew very well he would not fall for my ideas of rulership.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ocelevos is clearly impressed with your showmanship. His eyebrows raise a bit when you eat the core, and a grin slowly pulls at the corners of his mouth.
    He listens as you make your statement.
    "Very good Baronnes. Name your favor." he replies.

Sir Nathar casually cuts a piece off of the stag and takes a bite, and finally Lord Qavin does as well, albeit a bit apprehensively.
    All eyes turn to Lord Ethan. Ocelevos appears to be waiting patently.

Nathar pulls out his pipe and procedes to pack it with herbs.
    "Ahem." Malthrenarthiyr the Black clears his throat as Nathar produces his tinderbox. "l'd prefer that you didn't."
    Sir Nathar raises his eyebrows and tilts his head to the side with curiosity. Aaron offers no further explanation to his wishes, but Nathar doesn't push the issue, and puts his pipe back away.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ethan Adar has deferred to me as representative; as the Alpha, she names a term used for wolves, "You may relay missives and favors to him after we leave, but as we are together now, my loyalty speaks for his, and any other boons mine to claim. Should he ever think to betray us, then it will be my ire that he incurs, and my problem to deal with. But for now, have someone bring me a map of Kubland."

She casts a withering look to Ethan, as if to remind him of his place. With the map presented, the short woman stabs a finger at a large wooded area a stone's throw away from her barony estate, notable for at least two, maybe three borders wedged against it that belong to families not of the Woodblade's.

"These lands are mine. Some of the finest timber and valuable medicines are cultivated from this forest, and I know for a fact that Andel Verkaun, my unfortunate neighboring noble, is a thief who plunders trees from it. He claims that it's the work of my own peasantry and laughs at any accusations that he hired mercenaries to do the job. He is to cease. Immediately."

17. - Top - End - #47

"Interesting. Lord Ethan, what logic is there in this decision? Becoming her subordinate when you are a Duke and she is just a Baroness? No offense, Lady Juno. I merely seek to understand the situation."
    He studies Ethan for a moment, then his eyes fall to the stag on the table.
    "Does this mean you are declining our invitation?"
    His gaze returns to you, Lord Ethan...and he places his hands upon the table...and leans forward...eager for your reply.

A map is pulled from underneath the table upon Juno's request: Apparently they were expecting a favor or two regarding territories.

"Your request is taken into consideration. Although you were within your rights, it is too bad you have accused him openly, giving you motive to harm him. It limits our options. You will be contacted by Hydra when we have formulated a plan." He drinks the remainder of his wine and sets the goblet back down resolutely.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

"She and I are both heads of families who share Kubland among us. It is in some such matters that I defer to Lady Woodblade. For example, should the pursuit of her territorial rights require a show of force, I am willing to conscript and arm a number of men for a period of time, should it prove beneficial. Of course, if you or the 'Heads' join our efforts in the region, I know that I would be glad to consider you among our allies."

Ethan steps closer to Ocelevos. "In some circles, he remarks softly, "it is considered rude to offer a man a meeting and serve him open treason. I offer this observation only in the spirit of friendship. Your man Cephas may have reported that I offered my silence without condition. That promise stands. Favors for favors, though, from now on-- those are the rules of your club, yes?"
    Last edited by 4th number; 2013-01-29 at 02:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

The men stand up from the table and don their hoods. Ocelevos nods to one at the far end of the table, who exits the room. He turns his attention back to Lord Ethan and the stag.
    "I am quite aware. Will you have some or won't you?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

"To eat that stag is to give many men power over me," he continues in a murmur. "The Heads have not yet so impressed me that I would give myself to them in that way." He drops his voice lower. "Indeed, I do not stand so close to His Grace these days myself, but there are men in this room whom I do not trust one iota."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Calm down Sir Kael. After all in a fight right now the only one here that could stop you would be Malthrenarthiyr, that should put you at ease. I say to Lord Kael at his small little outburst before looking to the one known as Ethan Adar. You do realize by simply being here at this meeting you are already committing treason. And as such if you or any in this room for that matter were to inform the king, the rat themselves would be killed. Just more swiftly. I personal do not want to die. And from what it looks like only Sir Kael is the one freaking out in this room. Well besides you now. And you are also the only one to not have eaten anything, how could anyone here trust you to not betray us? You yourself have said it is more of an alliance then anything else with Lady Juno which would mean that one of you is lieing as she says she is your superior. I say sitting forward and sticking my hand into the deer until I feel its heart. Ripping it out and looking at it in my hand I wish that at this moment magic was not against me so that my hand would appear as a dragons claw. And with that thought in mind I eat the heart of the deer. and watch as the rest of it is taken away.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2013-01-29 at 09:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Ocelevos' eyebrows raise at Lord Loss' argument and his head turns as he waits for Lord Ethan to respond. His eyebrows raise again when Loss plunges his hand into the stag; he seems both impressed and disgusted.

"How barbaric." He clears his throat. "Shall we?" He asks, motioning towards the door. The guards open the door once more and the hooded men walk through it, single file. As you exit the room, you notice a green energy crackle around you as you cross the threshold.

Ocelevos leads you and the other nobles down a narrow windowless hallway of stone. The intruder has been taken away, the adjoining hallway to the left is now empty. You are lead down narrow stone steps to another narrow hallway, dimly lit by torches. Dozens of heavy oak doors line the walls on either side. As with the chairs in the room above, the doors are also engraved with coat of arms.
    "When you come to your door, place your hand over the arcane symbol below your coat of arms, and speak your name." Instructs the Hydra leader.

In doing so, your door unlocks, and you find a small windowless office lit by a chandelier, A daybed, a wardrobe, a footlocker, a very plush and expensive rug covering more than half of the stone floor, a writing desk with two drawers, and a small reading chair.
    The chair and bed look very expensive; the matress and pillow made with down, fitted with silk sheets, cotton and wool blankets, as well as a heavy quilt also filled with down.

The desk is sturdy and at a comfortable height. It is well made but not overly large.
    On top of the desk is a lamp, a large spell book, a quill and inkwell, a brand new black suede money purse containing 50pp, 50gp, and 25sp, a silver goblet, an expensive bottle of elven wine from Lorian and a bottle of dwarven firewhisky from Norgeat.
    The spell book bound in soft leather* and fitted with silver on the corners. On the front and back cover are many arcane symbols. When your fingers touch it, the hair stands up on the back of your arm. You notice your name is embossed on the spine.

In the first drawer you find a small blue potion, which glows slightly, a small brass key(which probably fits the brass keyhole of the first drawer), a finer quill and inkwell with arcane symbols on it, a tiny box containing diamond dust, and a small box containing other spell components; talc, gypsum, lime, silver wire and powdered silver, as well as miscellaneous oils.
    The second drawer is full of blank scrolls and parchment.

The wardrobe contains a nondescript traveler's cloak, A warm robe*, and a robe exactly like the ones worn by the members of hydra, complete with dragon heads on the back of the sleeves and arcane symbols around the edge of the hood. This robe however, is bright white.

The footlocker contains three changes of clothes; one noble, one middle class, and one for traveling, a night gown, and a box containing three golden-yellow potions of some sort.

*OOC: The color of the leather binding and day robe is the color of your character's text.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2013-01-30 at 01:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

As I hear Ocelevos voice calling me barbaric I look over and then at the table seeing most eyes on me and reply. We have a saying up North you may be aware of. Waste not, want not. I am not one to waste when I am sure it is safe. I reply simply not really caring if others find it barbaric. And with that I get up and follow all those assembled to the double doors that have up to this time, been guarded by two soldiers. Interesting, so it would seem the the ability to stop our magic ends at the doorway? That is good to know. It means our personal safety is in our own hands outside the room, but at least we have our own powers to protect us. I say to myself following in line staying close to Quavin Smallwing and Sir Kael. After all we were all suppose to be friends, and talking to those around you was only the civil thing to do.

As we are all lead down a narrow windowless hallway of stone I look around trying to see if anything of interest catches my eye. Or even where the stone could come from, narrowing where we were slightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[15] Spot check
    (1d20+7)[13] Arcane
    (1d20+7)[8] history
    (1d20+7)[25] Local
    (1d20+7)[9] the planes

All these checks are for the stone walls mind you.

Eventually we all come to a long narrow hallway with oak doors engraved with our family symbols on it. While looking at all the doors trying to count how many members this branch boasts I hear Ocelevos tell us all to walk up to the door with our crest on it and speak our names. Is this a sort of magic that hydra has worked into the doors I take it? To only open for the appropriate person so that no assassinations may take place and that once inside we would be safe if the place was indeed stormed and found? I ask the man as I walk up to the door and look over the work. Wait when did we all get arcane symbols on our... I pulls up my sleeve looking at the mark on his arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    All these checks have to deal with my door.

(1d20+7)[24] Arcane
    (1d20+3)[8] Search
    (1d20+7)[22] Spellcraft to determine what school of magic it would be from and the spell if I roll high enough

Once all is discussed I walk into my room and am surprised at what I find inside. And all of it looks very expensive. But for all the beauty held inside the room only one thing catches my eye. The blue leather and silver fitted corners. As I inspect the book I can even feel the chill of my homeland rushing up my arm. Slowly I look the book over trying to read all the arcane symbols and see if I recognize any of them. Once finished I open the book and start reading what is inside it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking my time so taking 20 on my knowledge checks for 27 on all of them.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ethan favors Lord Loss with an annoyed stare. "You speak very loudly of things that you do not understand." He turns away midway through his fellow nobleman's meal, and speaks to Ocelevos. "My commitment is something that must be earned. As our lord astutely points out, though, you have entangled me in your schemes regardless."

He follows Ocelevos down the stairs and examines his room, taking nothing for now but noting the details.

"You have an exceptional little clubhouse, Ocelevos. How would one go about getting here? Are you planning to issue all of us a necklace to pulverize bit by bit?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't necessarily need my neighbor killed; I just want an end to his presumptions upon my land..."

Juno, having grown a bit more cross in the time it's taken for Ethan and Loss to go at ends with each other, seeks refuge in plugging Ocelevos for more information by the time she's lead to her accommodations. Her eyebrow arcs for a moment, wondering just what the hell would be in her own book of green leather.

"It would appear you've arranged for everything, however, are we to remain here long? I cannot speak for my new found ally, but I did not intend to tarry here more than one eve." She looks about and figures, hey, may as well ask.

"What's in my book, and pardon my directness but what purpose do the potions serve?"

26. - Top - End - #56

"These--" he says to Ethan, holding up his hand to display a sliver ring like the one you received, "--are rings of recall, and they will teleport you back to your room once they are attuned. As you conveniently pointed out, trust must be earned, and once it is we will attune the ring for you. This process will involve wearing the ring for a week, but we will get to that later."

The other nobles begin to emerge from their rooms.
    "So do we get to know where this clubhouse is so we may return by horse or some other means?" Asks Kael, looking from Lord Ethan to Delgarias and back again.
    "No. If you must return within a week, you can use the Kamanati crystal provided for you--" He replies.
    "We already crushed that to get here." Interrupts Abram.
    "--provided for you in the breast pocket of your cloak. Did you not find it when you examined your room?"
    He turns to the Baroness.
    "No my Lady, we do not plan to detain you much longer. We wish to present you with a request of our own, which need not be fulfilled until we fulfill yours, of course.
    As to the book, take a look for yourself. Maps, animal anatomy, and simple ways to alter druid spells to make them function better, as well as some druid spells from areas outside of the region that your circle may have not been familiar with.
    You each have been provided with healing potions in the unfortunate event should you need them in your endeavors."
    He says, now addressing all of you.
    "And what about the blue one in my desk?" Asks Kael.
    "It's liquid enlightenment, from Lorien, am I correct?" asks Qavin, pulling it from his pocket.
    "You are indeed."
    Qavin then downs the potion without hesitation.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2013-02-01 at 11:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

As I walk back out of my room I notice everyone standing around and the head to Hydra speaking. So there is a crystal in the room. It seems I should have investigated it a little more. I say to myself before watching Quavin down the potion. So I take it we will all be leaving now then? Or do you have a mission for all of us to do individually to prove our loyalty? I ask the head of Hydra ready to go and speak with master.

28. - Top - End - #58

"Our request," he continues, "is to for you to accuse someone in your homeland of traitorous activity: Continued involvement in the Black Circle. The accused should not be of noble blood nor related to a noble, but have relations with one, an officer of the law, courtier, knight, or member of the Starbound Magi, or relations to a third party who does. The accused can be put to death, imprisoned, or set free at your discretion." He looks at those assembled to judge your reactions.
    "As you know, the Black Circle has a long and checkered history and their members have been accused of both treason and sedition in the past, so this is nothing new. I can assure you that your actions in this matter will not put you at risk, and perhaps will even work in your favor. Membership in the Black Circle has waned, and with it, their power. We are poking the hornets nest to see how many hornets are left.
    I can now answer any questions you may have if they are brief, if not, you may return to the meeting hall and we can discuss them at length. Otherwise, you are free to leave. Aaron will teleport you back to your manor."

He clasps his hands together waiting expectantly for the questions that are sure to follow.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2013-02-04 at 01:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

As the head of hydra speaks to us all, explaining what they expect my brain is already thinking of potential targets. Taking out the lady of flames new ally could prove useful. And by simply stating one of his men was part of the Black circle could gain myself in ally in Quavin Smallwing, but also an enemy of his niece who was in power. Then again going on that logic it would be in his best interest to take that very course of action, and interfering may cause him to think I was trying to expand. Who would be a substantial target for this idea? I think to myself as I go through all the nobles in my immediate area and those who had ties to them through bushiness or extended family.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[25] Arcane
    (1d20+7)[19] History
    (1d20+7)[15] Religion
    (1d20+7)[17] Local

All of these checks are to determine who would be the best target which will be discussed with my master of course.

Are we allowed to bring our books back with us? I wish to study it. I ask out loud stating my intentions to all openly that way while I am in the room I can pick up the crystal as well.

30. - Top - End - #60

"It is yours to do with as you wish." replies Delgarias, bowing his head slightly.