New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Shabti "Race" and its intended purpose in the afterlife

So there's this small blurb and apparently usage of the race of 'Shabti' in the PF adventure Pyramid of the Sky Pharao.

Spoiler
    Show
    Death is more terrifying for those who have the best of life. Many rulers obsess over their mortality, the most brazen turning to the mystical arts, pouring their fears into splendid vessels, fashioning simulacra of themselves to bear the scourge of their god's judgment. In the mortal world, these icons are nothing but gold with a ruler's face and name, but in death, they are shabti.

Existing as something between mortal souls, fabricated beings, and true children of the planes, shabti are immortal facsimiles of death-obsessed nobles. They serve out the sentences of their mortal twins, whether it be an infinity of torture or an eternity wandering the planes. Most never emerge from such trials, but some manage to find their own paths upon the planes.

Source: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-...1-20-rp/shabti

I want to use this race in the following context.

The Shabti was one of many; magically created by the undead god-king pharao (epic levelled lich) in order to keep the forces of the Inevitables and Psychopomps at bay. At the supposed death of the god-king it was sent into the soul river, instead of him. Due to the immortal nature of said simulacrum he somehow escaped the soul river (because the creator of the setting and the DM both haven't decided what happens in that soul river just that the soul is renewed and reborn afterwards) and wandered the planes of existence in order to flee its tormentors and to conceal that he has avoided his fate.

After it comes to pass that the godking was supposedly destroyed (we know from another campaign that his rejuvenation is somehow just barred because his phylactery was split into pieces) the Shabti returns to the mortal plane to find a purpose for its life. Being a political figurehead (you could easily disguise him as the "pharao's brother" and have him dethrone and unite the pharao's former kingdom) he has to see how his existence fits into this new era.

So my questions are this:
    1) Which decent servant of an Egyptian themed god is supposed to fall for a poor charade like this? I mean there is an outsider arriving instead of the intended (often humanoid) target of the karmic punishment of the afterlife.
    2) Even if you take a normal CR 5-8 outsiders, their Sense Motive is likely high enough to see through a disguise like that.
    3) Am I overcomplicating things or shouldn't outsiders be able to distinguish people by their aura and identity rather than being fooled by some beefed up simulacrum?
    4) For a character class I figure a Lore Oracle Ancient Lorekeeper, a Solar/Heavens/Bones Oracle does fit very nicely, but I am at a loss if I should be summoned to fill a melee, skill monkey or arcane role in the group.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Shabti "Race" and its intended purpose in the afterlife

I don't know what to tell you, except.. well, its magic, dude. I wouldn't call this a 'poor charade' when you're dealing with creating new souls.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Shabti "Race" and its intended purpose in the afterlife

I'm playing a Shabti right now! exciting!

In my perspective, there is nothing in the text that says that the higher power IS fooled or is even SUPPOSED to be fooled by the Shabti. Only that the Shabti ends up serving the punishment for the rich bastard who made her. It is subscribing mortal philosophy and mortal morality onto the higher powers to think that they would see the Shabti and think "what a ****. Okay, Shabti you are free to go, I'll go get the real guy who is trying to fool me."

The shabti isn't made to fool the god, only to be sent to serve the punishment. Think about the 1300-1500s catholicism where you could literally buy your way into heaven by paying the church enough money that God will overlook your earthly transgressions. There was another sect during egypt where, when a noble was sick or on their deathbed, servants would be sacrificed SPECIFICALLY to appease the gods and let the noble get better. There are other example like that to draw from in history. These nobles have found a way to make a thing that will take their eternal punishment for them and the Gods are okay with this for whatever inhumane reason you can believe.

So you don't have to think that the God must be fooled by this soul-clone. Just that, whatever process is used to make the Shabti, makes them an adequate replacement in the God's philosophy.

My own take is that the makers of the Shabti are wrong. When they "infuse" their essence into the Shabti and send it to die, they are sending their actual soul. What they are left with is a soulless meat husk wandering the earth. Undead without dying. They just don't realize it.

Once you divorce the idea of a fair and just system of eternal reward and punishment it gets easier. Just like accepting mortal politics.

as for roles, My shabti is playing a reach inquisitor (which, it turns out, is harder than the traditional reach cleric) and is making a good melee-er, but we are at low levels. Skill monkey? maybe instead of being let go, the Shabti learned how to escape from the other prisoners held with her and you can make her a thief or ninja (or something like a chameleon or disguise bard if you intend to Prince and Pauper this). For Arcane, just go bard or sorcerer. The Shabti gets a 1/day suggestion and they have good charisma, so enchanter or bard are both on the table.