New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Villains! (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Villains! (IC)

Empire City, a melting pot of good and evil. Where people, not all of them humans of all stripes mingle in a spicy pit, producing a city unlike any other.

Darkstep strides amidst his 'army' of ninjas in a spacious, sealed off chamber in Empire City's sewage system.

Arnold sits in his ridiculously over-sized office, with absolutely nothing important coming up. No really, elections are two years away and his mob basically runs itself.

Vivienne relaxes on the roof of Cosmic Tower also with nothing important to do. A big party's coming up in a week and a museum opening in two days.

(Remember, you act, I react. This is a sandbox, so GO CRAZY!)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Villains! (IC)

Five hundred fifty stories in the air, with fifty extending into the ground. Constructed of an alloy she'd had to synthesize herself, it was possibly the tallest building on Earth. The interior was black marble and velvet curtains, Gothic architecture and furnishings. Gargoyles festooned the exterior, the defense system hidden when deactivated. And on the roof there was a heated pool.

Vivienne smiled. It was a good tower.

Chasing after her brother had gotten tiresome. She needed a place to set up shop and wreak havoc such that he'd have to show up.

In two days a museum was opening. She got out of the pool and went to get dressed, putting on a nice dress with excellent shoes.

"Midas, will you deactivate the museum's security?" she asked, attaching her earrings.

It is as you ask," he replied through the neutrinos.

Smiling, Vivienne opened a portal to the Museum. It was time to eat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Midas can use datalink and his computer skill to deactivate the security system. So long as Viv knows the name of the Museum, She can use Teleport to get to the stockroom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

(Why do all your plans seem to attract the attention of teams?)

Glarx
    The systems deactivates and Vivienne strides into the empty stock room. Rows and rows of crates line the warehouse.

Roll notice
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[25] for Vivienne.
    If there are cameras, [roll]1d20+30[/roll[/roll] for Midas.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Glarx

A single crate drops behind you quite loudly and you hear the sound of someone scrambling into the ventilation ducts.

The crate cracks open, revealing a golden chalice packed in bubblewrap.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2013-01-23 at 11:20 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Darkstep walks slowly through the remnants of his army. Most of his followers were throughout the city quietly entwining themselves with the dark shadows so the night. They were one, but they were apart, he could know what they were doing as easily as seeing through his ow eyes, and yet they were separate, sinking into the atmosphere with the sound of the subwoofer of the illegal concert in the basement above.

Calmly Darkstep sits beside the streams of excrement, and focuses his mind on the heartbeat of the city, on all that his brethren see throughout it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Just noticing that I think I have about nothing on notice skills

Ah well, lets go with a squad of five bikers for now
    (1d20+5)[17]
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[10]
    (I'll most often be using squads of 5 or 10 of my standard ninjas. 5 normal, 10 for extreme cases.)
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Vivienne closed her eyes and channeled the force of Entropy for a moment, beginning the process of teleporting herself into the ventilation duct. "Midas, do you know anything about the golden chalice? And could you contact Mr. Roth and ask if he's involved in this museum in any way?" She spoke through the manipulation of neutrinos, without a verbal component.

"It is as you ask," he replied, searching through his databanks for an answer whilst simultaneously calling Mr. Roth's secretary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Viv will use her full-round action to teleport herself into the ventilation duct, using her free action to switch arrays so that Transmutation is active. She'll also use another free action to speak with Midas via their Communication link. He will take 20 on his knowledge check (with Quickness, I believe that's a stated ability) to reveal the answer, if it is known. He'll do Art, Current Events, History, Popular Culture, Technology and Philosophy. Additionally, he'll call Arnold Roth's secretary.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2013-01-23 at 11:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Roth sat back and relaxed, the mornings newspaper in his hand. It was all information he already knew, of course, but he did so enjoy reading how wrong the reporters mangled their stories.

Some more nonsense about a rally through Delto City in honor of some new hero, Action Warrior, apparently. Why do they come up with these ridiculous names? Action Warrior, it's not even original sounding. He shook his head as he turned the page, an advertisement for Wednesday's museum opening. He'd have to attend, of course, he was one of the museums principle sponsors. It was a delicate balance these events. Roth had to put just enough money into them to appear altruistic without ever revealing just how wealthy he truly was.

Ah well, at least it will give him something to do. Which reminded him.

"Bonnie," he said as he hit the button on his intercom to reach his secretary. "My office."

Within moments the door opened "Yes Mister Roth?" said the cute young brunette.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Reading my own minion, just as an example of Roth's carefulness.
    I control her, so I think I can have her autofail the save.

Roth quickly reads her mind verifying that she's not holding any recording devices and that for the time being she has no intention of betraying him.

"Would you be so kind as to send the word out that the museum opening is not to be meddled with?"

"To who do you want this sent Mister Roth?"

"The ones in costume. They have a tendency to want to disrupt these sorts of affairs. Oh, and would you verify if any of the local hero element will be attending the opening? I believe there is an entire section dedicated to them. 'Super-heroics History in the Making' I believe it was called."

"Do you want them not to come?"

"Quite the contrary, it will be good for the people to see their heroes socializing with the cities elite, it makes them think we're all on the same side. That will be all, Bonnie."

"Of course, I'll get on it right away Mister Roth."

"Thank you Bonnie," he says returning to his paper.

Edit: New information from Glarx.

As soon as Bonnie sits down her phone rings, line number 6, the one for the costumes. She gulped as she picked up the phone. "Mister Roth's office, this is Bonnie speaking, how may I help you?"
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-01-23 at 12:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"This is Midas. I require the attention of Mr. Roth."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

drack
    There are two parts of the city, the good part and the bad part. The good part is very quiet, peaceful, everything a nice place should be. The bad part however, there are three main gangs fighting for control over it. The Smilers, Slashers and some strange mob like gang.

Each gang roughly controls about a third of the section and are constantly fighting each other.

Glarx
    The chalice belongs to Lord Doctor Arthur Barnes Junior, PHD in Archeology. It's one of his many donations from the Barnes collection to this new museum.

The Barnes collection is known as one of the most extensive personal collection of historical artifacts in the world.

The chalice is from the middle ages, it belonged to a minor European noble. It has a pretty uninteresting history otherwise.

You appear in the ventilation duct, it is slightly cramped. Whoever scrambled into it, has most likely made more than one corner. Unless you guess right, the person you're chasing is gone.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, he should be with you in a minute."

She hit the intercom, the noise startling Roth for a second. "Mister Roth?"

"What is it Bonnie?"

"I have a call for you."

"Tell them I'm busy," he said as he flipped to the next page of his paper.

"It's line 6, sir. A Mister Midas?"

"Fine, switch them in," he put down his paper and grabbed his phone. "This is Roth, to what do I owe the pleasure Midas? Your mistress in more trouble?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"The St. Monmarch Museum. My mistress wishes to know how valuable it is to you."

Meanwhile, Vivienne raised a finger to the air and transmuted the air in front of her, through the whole of the ventilation duct, into argon. It would take some time before the body would shut down from oxygen deprivation, but without the resulting build-up of CO2 the fleeing individual shouldn't feel any ill effects. She asked Midas, through the neutrinos, to scan the building for radio frequencies. He complied.

It was scrambled, but that didn't deter Midas. He began to attempt to datalink with the communicator.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2013-01-23 at 12:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Glarx

Midas is rudely and unceremoniously from the museum's security systems as they start up again.

Just before he is booted out, he notices a series of alarms tripping in quick succession up a nearby elevator shaft, leading straight to the roof.

Vivienne is surrounded by red lasers, many broken by her body. The ventilation system starts filling with a green gas and alarms go off. Very loud alarms.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

This surprised Vivienne, but as she didn't need to breathe, she didn't particularly care. Channeling her power, she teleported to the roof of the building.

Midas began to assault the Museum's mainframe.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Darkstep rolls his shoulders irritably. "Great, just great, another stomping song..." Flecks fall from the ceiling above him, but he continues focusing, meeting the neighbors was one thing, but it was always best to know what you're getting into first. His thirst for vengeance had grown cold with time, and no longer was he a man for chances.

They will continue to scout the city for any consumed crusaders, or signs of trouble. Meanwhile three other groups will dispatch to gather information about the three gangs in the worse part of town.
    Spoiler
    Show

smiler
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[6]

slashers
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[21]

mob
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[16]

That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Glarx
    She sees a dark figure catapulting out of the ventilation shaft over the side of the building as the door to the roof is busted down. Two panting and armed security guards notice and pull their guns on her.

drack
    smiler
    Spoiler
    Show

DAKKA GANG. Blow stuff up a lot. Leader is a pryomaniac named John Doe.

They are facing problems from a new upstart 'gang' more of a charity service really. Cleaning up the hood and all that. Not telling the other two they have problems with them.

Slasher

Spoiler
    Show

Kinda crazy. Like whacko crazy, uses knives almost exclusively. Leader changes weekly.

They are facing problems from a new upstart 'gang' more of a charity service really. Cleaning up the hood and all that. Not telling the other two they have problems with them.

Mob

Spoiler
    Show

Most professional of them all. Leader unknown.

Last edited by The_Admiral; 2013-01-23 at 01:40 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The Princess held up a hand. Midas revealed the location of the van to her, but it didn't matter to her. Apparently Bonnie hadn't replied yet.

"Your culprit is heading down to a van on the ground floor. Unfortunately, they've probably escaped by now. Congratulations. You are inept."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Glarx
    "Sorry ma'am, but if so, you still have to come with us to answer some questions." one of the guards say.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"The museum? Listen to me, get Vivienne out of there. That was supposed to be a symbol of prosperity and peace to distract the population from you super villain types."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"That's fascinating, but no. I will be taking the elevator back down, however. Do you know what amuse-bouche will be served at the opening?"

Midas told Vivienne what Roth said. She then related what she wanted said, and he said it to Mr. Roth. "There was already a thief here, Mr. Roth. He was chased away by my mistress. She has injured no one, although two guards have their guns pointed at her. She will not be held responsible for what happens to them. Furthermore, the thief was not working alone. At least one of their numbers is a hacker of unrivaled skill. They may be targeting you. Be warned."
    Last edited by Glarx; 2013-01-23 at 01:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Darkstep relaxes slightly as the stomping above gives way to the relentless music.

Calmly he commands the last 5 ninja transit team to recall the other three, and to see what they can find on this new upstart gang.
    Spoiler
    Show

gather info
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell Vivienne to let the guards take her. She's a princess, she has diplomatic immunity and can't be charged with anything. Do not make the museum a bloodbath!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"I will pass on your recommendation."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Dammit," Roth said as he slammed his phone down. "Bonnie," he snarled into his machine "Call the car."

In a few minutes he was in his limousine straightening out his suit jacket two bodyguards sitting across from him.

"Where two boss?"

"Take me to the museum, Al, I have a feeling there's going to be trouble."
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-01-23 at 02:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

drack
    This new gang is, strange, most of the members seem to have military training, and not what passes for it in Darkstep's homeland, actual professional military training and they're making great use of it.

They also don't seem to be doing much gangy stuff.

Dienekes
    You arrive at the museum, to a scene of panicking security guards and the ridiculously loud alarms.

Glarx
    The guards lead you to an average sized office. A slightly overweight man sitting at the desk. He gestures you to sit at the desk.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

She raised an eyebrow as she listened to Midas, deciding not to kill the guards. Yet. But their inability to listen to English was noted. Vivienne remained standing.

"What is your name," she said in an authoritative tone, glowering at the overweight man behind the desk.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+30)[34] Intimidate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Darkstep shifts slightly looking somewhat uncomfortable until suddenly a grin erupts across his face, bringing with is a deep an sinister laughter that fills the sewers... or at least it would were it not drowned out by the music above.

One piece was left to fit into place though, without which it would be incomplete, and or that last piece he would need an information gatherer of the highest caliber.

Chuckling to himself Darkstep sends out one of the returned ninja squads to find such a person. Someone with their fingers on the pulse of this city, known by less then half as many as they know of, and feared for the power that their knowledge holds.

gather information
    Spoiler
    Show

you don't really look at these do you?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Glarx
    Scared out of his pants he straightens his tie, saying "Bill Mays, I'm in charge of security."

drack
    You find nothing, absolutely nothing.

Spoiler
    Show

No I made the rolls for you, now however I have no number of rolls to make so leaving it. Good one though.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"My name is Princess Vivienne Verata," she began, finally taking a seat. "I had a friend over, Midas Milligan, who was showing me an invention he thought my husband might be interested in investing in. During the display I... was teleported, it would seem, into your museum. I regret that sincerely. However, when I appeared I saw a thief in your stockroom. He escaped off the roof-top to a van, although I couldn't see anything else. I'm unsure how I got to the rooftop, but presumably it was Dr. Milligan's invention again. Now, I dearly wish to see the opening of the museum occur according to schedule, and I know you'd do nothing to jeopardize that, but your security relies too heavily on electronic means, I fear. While cost-effective, it doesn't seem to be enough to prevent invasion."

Vivienne looked around the room. "They may be back. I'm unsure. But you may want an expert to inspect the collection downstairs for tampering. One crate fell and a chalice fell out. It could be that the thief switched the chalice for a fake before I arrived."

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Bluff. DC 40.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Darkstep takes his defeat in step, after all it is quite hard for an outsider such as he to learn a city in a day but reckless as his plan was it was worth a try.

Five Ninjas cross through to John Doe's territory, four will hang back as the fifth walks up to members of the smiler gang. "Hello" he greets them "Would you mind taking me to this Mr. John Doe that I hear so much of?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Was worth a try, after all only noticed I had messed up the last one after you had posted.
    Last edited by drack; 2013-01-23 at 11:42 PM.