New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

You currently stand on the main street of the Port Town Perth of the Kingdom Dansheil, just entering the main gate. Sights and smells threaten to overwhelm the parties senses as you all find yourselves assaulted on all sides by venders trying to sell you what seems to be a thousand different things.

Raven, the Cleric of Wee Jus, has lead you to this place in hopes of finding an underground library that was spoken of in some of her clergies' books. If you can find it, it would mean monetary gifts from the Church.

So, what do you do Hero's?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Peilion reaches into his pack and withdraws a book titled "Sights and Attractions of the Realms."

(quietly, to Raven his party):

Before we begin our quest, we should probably find a place to base ourselves out of for the time being.

He then flips through the pages of the book, looking for tips on chosing an inn, or perhaps the location of the local temple of We Jas (if there is one.)
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 12:40 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raven nods and looks about at the wide assortment of vendors. Sindri is waving off a man trying to sell him a heavily gilded sword, and Wyrd is just gone, as in you can't see where the Changling has left to..

It takes but a moment to find the entry on Perth;

Sea of Coral, Port Perth
    This is the Kingdoms eighth largest port and holds a number of inns of decent, in this humble writers opinion, smell and repute. The most Noteable among these fair Inns is the Damsel's Cry a fine inn, this Inn is the one noted on the Map.
    For the more religious readers the town itself is a host to over seven churches of awe inspiring workmanship found further towards the center of the town.
    The towns main trade is...

There is no more relevant data after this point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roll Listen (DC 11)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

He returns the book to his pack.

(quietly, to the party members in earshot):

Well, the guidebook recomends Damsel's Cry Inn. It also mentions the temple district is near the center of town. I'm more inclined to trust the followers of We Jas than an innkeeper. Besides which, they may have leads to offer on our quest. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 01:08 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raven nods her head, completely fine with going to whatever her faith uses for a sanctuary. She turns towards Sindri to call him over, but he seems to be getting into a rather heated debate with a... sword? A heavily guilded sword of elven make, and quite a bit smaller than the

"Now listen here you hunk of rust you will let me go or I'll..." The Half-Orge seems especially aggravated and keeps shooting the vender very dirty looks. The vender is just say how fine a choice that sword would be, it looks like a longsword but you really can't tell from this distance. Although there is a sparkle about the sword that makes you want to go over and look at it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

What the... Sindri, are you alright?

Approaches Sindri to see what's going on.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The effects of whatever is on that sword don't even get a chance with either you or Raven. Both casters shake off the effects easily, but for a moment you wanted to go over and buy that outrageous sword that Sindri seems to be... He hasn't let go you note, and with the way he's pawing at his hand between anger mutterings at the blade and its vender it seems like he can't!

Raven starts over as well towards Sindri when the vender drops a fireball. (Not really, figure of speech.)

"Only 1500 Gold my intrepid adventurer, and you can have this fine blade." The salesman says with all the grease of bard with Glibness active. Sindri scowls for a moment and shakes his head. The vender smiles and says with an odd glimmer in his eye. "Then just set that fine blade down my good sir."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Peilion wracks his mind to figure out exactly what's going on. (also to identify if any spell was just cast.)
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It takes a moment all the while the vender seems to slowly be losing his calm face, but you remember a thesis on cursed items you read once, an excerpt was in the Almanac you recall. This sword is showing all of the signs of being a cursed item, which would explain Sindri staring at the blade and muttering about 'chewing his own arm off, after all Raven can probably heal that...'

He seems to seriously be contemplating do as such.

Raven is glowering at the man.

"I won't be intimidated by these strong arm tactic." He says, that odd glimmer seems to shine in his eyes. "If you don't let go of my best sword I'll have to call the guards."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Sense Motive
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-01-20 at 01:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Sir, that "finest sword" of yours is clearly cursed. I strongly suggest you get it purified immediately. Sindri, try to stay calm, we'll do everything can to help you!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The vender scowls at you and mutters something, you are not sure but it sounded awfully like 'Fraking Elves'. Sindri still at the word cursed and seems to go into the same hyper alert state he enters during battle, at you're assurances he doesn't do anything but seems ready for everything. Raven nods and pulls a jewelers lope out of her belt pouch along with a thin book and begins looking over the weapon in detail.

Something about this guys voice rings untrue to you.

Spoiler
    Show
    He rolled a two. I laughed so hard.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

(Ignoring the racial slurr, and showing true concern)

Sir, that sword is cursed or worse. If you don't realise it, then you may also have been affected. Please, for the sakes of both our friend and yourself, let's get to a healer.

Raven, what do you make of that thing?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raven turns to you and sighs. Her voice is even and she seems to be holding back something. She takes a few steps away from the vender before speaking.

"All the guilding is getting in the way but this thing isn't worth the amount he's," she waves at the man who even now is scowling at your back, "asking for. It's a masterwork of junk, the metal used is horrid where you can see it. I've never seen such a bad sword in my life."

She shakes her head and puts away her book and lope.

"He's either caught in the enchantment like you said or trying to sell Sindri a bag of everfull gold coins, if you catch my meaning." She glances over to the man. "Let's just take them both to a temple for a remove curse, at his expense."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm.. I trust your analysis, Raven. Sir, please accompany us to the temple of We Jas. For your own good and our friend's.

*Moves so he is adjacent to the vendor, in as nonthreatening a manner as he can.*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 02:47 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sindri mutters to himself and looks irritable but he agrees with you both.

"I can trust you guys on the field why not this?" He says after a moment. "Seems to make me easier to anger too. I feel... not calm."

The vender looks downright insulted, and calls for the guard. As soon as he starts to yell a young man in the uniform of the guard places a hand on the venders shoulder. He looks over the group and gives you and Raven a wink.

"What's the problem here, sir." He asks in a think coastal accent.

"They say my wares are cursed. I won't have it!" The man looks like he's going to rile himself into a fit.

"That's a pretty hard accusation, sirs. Do any of you have any proof, or a way to get proof?" The says as he casually slides his eyes over you all.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

(Not turning his back on the vendor, but answering the guard)

Sir, my companion is a cleric of We Jas *indicates Raven* I am a wizard of the family Ventinans, or Windwalker in the common tounge. My name is Peilion, and my companion is Raven. In addition to the obvious symptoms of distress our friend Sindri there is displaying, he normally distains longswords and would have been extremely unlikely to consider one for purchase of his own volition.

To be clear, I am not sure that the good vendor is intentionally trying to scam anyone. It is entirely possible that he has been affected by whatever is wrong with the sword.

As for proof, we have our own analysis of the situation. As I can understand your reasons not to trust those, we would be more than willing to seek the advice of a priest or arcanist whose credentials you recognise. Indeed, we would like to take our friend, this sword, and the likely similarly afflicted vendor here to the temple of We Jas for a more thorough analysis and any nessicary treatment.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 03:14 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The guard smiles slightly. The vender on the other hand seems to be ready to bolt.

"Well since you are all being such good sports about it," the guard says and in that moment you notice his eyes are two different colors, "we'll just take this down to the Temple of the Crimson Sisterhood, the local clergy of Wee Jus you see. Names Jack by the way, Captain of the Perth City Water-Watcher Militia."

He seems to have a darn good grip on the Vender who is now sweating heavily.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

(Peilion considers what he knows/has heard about the Crimsion Sisterhood)

Thank you, Jack. A pleasure to meet you, though I would wish it were under better circumstances *bows politely*

Also, in case you aren't aware, victims of cursed objects can behave oddly. Also, our friend has indicated that the sword is interfering with his emotions to some extent. If this object behaves as many such objects do, extended exposure and contact with it is likely to cause such effects to worsen. As such, our vendor friend may lose control of his actions. Would you like Raven and or I to keep ready to assist you in restraining him should that happen?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Crimson Sisterhood is indeed a local variation of the standard Wee Jas religion, and the only differences are that the Sisterhood believes that Wee Jas and Baccob are allies, some go to the extreme of saying lovers but that is only in the most extreme Sisters.

Jack shakes his head and taps the handle of his blackjack.

"When it comes with dealing with runners just leave it up to me." He says as he begins to guide you towards the center of the city. He thanks a street rat nearby for the quick info.

As you look at the street rat you see his bones seemingly shift of their own accord.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

(shift like I maybe have seen Wyrd's before?)

As you wish. Just thought it was a good idea to offer, just in case.

*when they head off, Peilion stays near the captain and the vendor*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 04:02 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    (shift like I maybe have seen Wyrd's before?)
    Indeed.

You are currently headed toward the Temple District when the man tries to run. Jack blurs and slams his Blackjack into the venders skull knocking the man unconscious.

"There's your answer." Jack says with a slightly labored breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action, quickdraw iaijutsu focus called shot to the head. Rolled a 19 on hit for +2d6 dmg. Nonlethal cause a Blackjack is a Longer version of a Sap. Wow, he did way better than I thought he would.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-01-20 at 03:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Impressive. He still might be a victim here, though. Raven, since Sindri is disabled for the moment, shall we help the vendor get to the temple?

*Peilion props up the vendor by an arm.* (13 strength)
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 04:10 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your Martial Lore tells you quite a few things about what just happened. First it wasn't a maneuver but it was practiced to the point of perfection. (Max ranks Iaijustsu Focus) Second the style comes from off continent, from where exactly you'd have to get your books out and actually look. Third, if this man had been hit by anything other than a glorified billy club he'd be very dead right now.

Fourth, the vender is two-hundred and sixty-six pounds measured in fat @$$ needs to diet. (While this isn't usually true in our world the only way to weigh in that heavy in D&D is to be made of muscle or fat) You find yourself staggering at his weight.

Jack stops Raven before she takes up the other side and takes up the weight to help you out. (14 str) It takes a few minutes longer but you get to the Church.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-01-20 at 04:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Yes, very impressive, Jack. I suspect Sindri would enjoy conversing with you once we get him cured. You'd likely be able to learn alot from eachother. Now, would someone please help me carry this oaf? I could just drag him, but I wouldn't want to cause him any further harm from being dragged over the ground. He's either a victim or a suspect. If he's a victim, then we should take care. If he's a suspect, I wouldn't want to cause you to go through any more paperwork than nessicary on acount of his condition when he's taken in, Jack.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 04:36 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sindri nods enthusiastically as he seems to have mastered himself. You finally get to the steps of the small church. Jack aids you with the vender and you see a familarly dressed street rat dart into the church ahead of you.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may use Marital Lore to figure out Sindri's recovery. Review what you know of this Church with Knowledge (Local).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Right, we're here. Lady willing, we'll be able to get you cured, Sindri, and some answers. Are you holding up alright, buddy?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-20 at 04:43 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sindri nods his head and continues to concentrate on maintaining what you identify as the Moment of Perfect Mind concentration technique to beat off the cursed blades powers.

"It caught me off guard. Took a bit for me to counter the opening damage, but I'm not giving it an inch any longer." He says his voice barely different from it's usual tone even while concentrating hard enough to beat the curse.

"Is the blade alive, an Item familiar?" Raven asks as she is greeted by several Sisters. "These are my companions, we've come in contact with a Cursed blade, and request aid from this temple."

"Not alive," Sindri says as he scowls at the blade, "the curse is... uh persistent. It keeps trying over and over to make me want it. It's a strange feeling."

As the Sisters move about speaking on one thing or another, you go over what you know of this Temple. The Sisters of this Temple are known for generosity to the people, an example of which is the fact that they send their most minor priestesses out among the beggars to create good water free of impurities, but even with these good deeds the general popular of Perth seems to be stuck on the stereotype that the Ruby Lady is a Goddess of Death.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

*Peilion nods politely to the Sisters (this being the most he can do while carrying the lardy vendor)* This man *indicates vendor* was the proximal source of the blade. It's almost certain he's either a victim of some aspect of its curse as well, or a scammer. We'd greatly appreciate it if you could help us determine which.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

After a few moments the Sister have sent for one of the better priestesses and it takes a few minutes before the woman stands before you. Raven takes a moment to get into a quick conversation with the woman in hushed tones. After a second the two separate and the Sister mutters an incantation for a spell. Her eyes shimmer from the pale green irises to pools of silver with a compass rose in startling violet pupil. She then seems to stare straight through the vender, as if she were looking at something far past him.

After about sixteen seconds she turns her head from the vender's body. "This one is unaffected by any form of curse magic, although he is using some form of enchantment, a potion perhaps." She says as she turns her eyes towards Sindri where he had settled on a bench whilst looking around at the fresco's with a mildly interested eye. He seems content speaking with Jack in low tones. Jack stands after a moment or two and scowls at the vender's body. "Your friends will is strong, but this curse is a curse that persistently renews itself and undermines the will of those under it's snare. I have seen it's work before."

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen checks to see if you can hear Raven and priestess? Spellcraft to Identify the spell? Listen check for Sindri and Jack's conversation? All of the above?