New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Sindri is sitting next to a new priestess and seems to talking at length about the differences between magic and the Sublime Way, the girl is actually very active in the conversation and what little gets through to you sounds like it's already deep into the inner mechanics of both arts.

Raven is sitting nearby with a thick tome in front of her and Wyrd is conversing with her. They seem to refer to the tome every now and again. Their conversation is much clearer and you hear Wyrd and Raven both drop Black Oracle multiple times.

The Eldest is sitting near Alma, who is currently using Prestidigitation to doddle on the air. The Eldest is looking at you in a bemused manner.

"Whatever it was, it must be important."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

*Returns his books to his haversack, withdraws the blessed book.*

Yes. First, the book I was sent is a blessed book. Second, I found a message from the its creator on the back page... a message apparently ensorceled to be revealed only to me. That message contained a password which revealed a further message when I spoke it. Eldest, what do you know of the Order of Arcane Artifice?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Hmm," the Eldest took a moment to think, "they are an Order of the Magos Charter, the secular branch with which you trained when you were younger I'm sure. Their order was made by a Hedge Mage, a man by the name of Vaden Justis, only forty years ago, but they have grown quite large since. Their main objective is the understanding of Artifice as a craft, science, and magic. They are incredibly well connected politically, so much so that they were able to weather the fallout of that one incident in Arafu sixteen years ago without trouble."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

*nods*

I see. So, most of their history has been since my training concluded. Regardless, I think you should all see this. Well, actually, it claims that only I can see it so I guess I'll have to read it to you:

*Reads the hidden messages in full*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-13 at 03:29 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alma seems to quiver a little and the Eldest places her arm about the girls shoulders.

"They know so much." The little one mumbles.

"Indeed though I have to say this Peilion any advice given by Gearsnatcher Batnip is to be taken," she shutters, "he is one of the spell casters that aided in the campaign with the other continent. A Gnome raised Kobold funnily enough. He was known as Gearsnatcher the Flame Serpent during the war, he sunk boats like the one out in our harbor if that tells you anything. His methiods were as dangerous as they get, he was almost Nulled an almost unheard of thing in this day and age."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

A gnome raised kobold warhero? Well, that's the... actually I think I may have lost track of how many extrodinary things I've encountered today.

*smirks*

In any case, might you know how we can find and contact him him?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I wasn't ever close with him. He had been a Mercenary at the time, one of the many individual names on the Crimson Concord, that is the other continent's surrender." She looks you directly in the eye. "The other continent never surrendered to us, Peilion, they surrendered to twenty men and women who fought in the war. One of them was Nameless, the Blademaster whom Sindri is rumored to have trained under, a man I once had the pleasure of seeing sink a ship with a sword swing. They are a different sort, someday you may join their ranks, all of you."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

*seems slightly starstruck at that thought, then shakes himself clear*

Perhaps one day. Now though... survival. Wyrd and I believe we have found the entrance to the archive. Niether Wyrd nor I are in the best shape to explore the place today, though.

Also, should we have our war council before or after we explore the archive?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Before, I wish for you all to be in the archives while others are taking action up hear, but I also wish for you to know what is going on." The Eldest explained as she stroked her hand through Alma's hair.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

*nods*

Indeed, Eldest. Another question: Should we contact Mistress Tenlinia to arrange her delivery of messages to our allies, or should that wait until after the council?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"No, I wish for there to be no way for some people to 'misunderstand'. This war council is going to be trying as it is." She looked down at Alma significantly, "Very trying."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Trying... that's one way to describe it, I expect.

So, tomorrow, we explore the archive, and we have the council the day after?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"No, I wish for the council to happen before you go into the Archives, Peilion, my you are a bit dotty sometimes." The Eldest smiles reassuringly at you. "It will happen some time tomorrow, most likely in the morn, so you may be entering the Archive as soon as tomorrow night."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I am somewhat used to using my nose as a bookmark, what would you expect?

*chuckles, not entirely uncomfortably.*

In that case, shall we take Master Gearsnatcher's advice and get some rest?

Oh, also any idea what we might face down there? So we know what sort of spells to prepare-- I'm assuming I shouldn't have to prepare any spells with the council in mind.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Oh my how forgetful I am today." The Eldest suddenly shifted moods with whip-lashing effect. "My mentor's journals were quite extensive, and I found the description of the one time the Archive was thought to have been found. She researched the entirety of our personal library and came to a startling conclusion." She moved over to the book that she'd brought out of that hall. "The area below our city is a Planar Node, a place where one or more Planes intersect completely. To be exact the Planes in question are the Plane of Dreams, Air, Shadow, and the edge of an odd dimiplane we have no idea of."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Interesting combination. Might we use your library? I have a book on the subject of the Planes, but I doubt it has enough information to be of much use in researching this.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I'm sure we have a few books on the wider Planescape in our Library, Alma wouldn't have taken you there normally. Although it is of interest. You understand, right?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, Eldest. In any case, we didn't get to complete the tour. We made it to the Oracle Stone, then had to return to treat Wyrd for the side affects it seems to have on shapechangers.

Right, given the circumstances, might we be able to look through those books? Raven is more knowledgable on planar matters than I am, so she should probably take the lead- if that's acceptable to you, Raven. I'd like to help her and maybe one or two of your acolytes could aid us as well? Depending on the size of your collection, of course.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-13 at 06:25 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Yes that sounds fine, I'm sure one or two of the girls would like to aid your party, Peilion, but sadly you must first be introduced to the political side of this fair city."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

*deadpan*

And I thought today couldn't get any worse.

*smirks to show he's only being... oh, 90% serrious.*

*sighs*

I understand the nessecity. Umm, Wyrd, might you be feeling well enough to do the talking, or at least to cover for me if I stick my foot in my mouth again? I'd rather avoid getting this city doomed by being too blunt or otherwise socially inept.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-13 at 06:43 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"In some ways far too true." The Eldest says as she places Alma on one of the large pillows. Then, with a chuckle, she says. "The Wizards greatest foe was the one he could never blow up, politics."

"Now that book of yours has given you a good idea of the persons of import but not all of the tapestry is show by a mirror.

Our Duke isn't with us, he lives elsewhere, and in a show of 'faith' to our city he sent his second son and the young man's sister here under our care. The boy is now a man and is considered to be more a ruler of the city by both his father and older brother, a bequithment of land and honor. The city has prospered but with prosperity one must deal with the rats.

The Council of Advisers is one of the most annoying thorns in the day to day running of the city. They have made it so the Duke himself would have to personally discharge them, and he has not the time for his youngest sons trifles, I'm quoting there. They hold weight among the general citizenry alongside the Merchant's Council a bunch of greedy people who have also wedged their interests into the system.

Both of these thorns were made before Alekzandier made his way here, they are the old ruling system used when the Duke just left the Keep, but they have long since been nothing but a thorn. This is what is going on at the Keep."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

*seems dumbfounded, also the shock of the day seems to be taking its toll.*

Peak inside Pielion's mind:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will we have to fight the government of this city, too?! Yes, the Eldest is right, diplomatic problems are the worst kind for me to face.

So are you saying that there are elements in this city's government that might chose to prevent us from defending it? That these elements have the authority to succeed in their opposition, and that we effectively have no way to see them overruled?

*sighs heavily*

Right, so what do you know about the individual members of these councils? Do we have any allies among them?

Also, what about the other persons and organisations of interest in town: What about this sage, and Mistress Tenlinia? What about the Boccobites? The messenger said we should work with them all. What other churches have presences in this city? And what more can you tell me of Alekzandier and his sister? Also, might the duke be a good person to send our message to when the time comes?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Alekzandier and his sister are two very powerful individuals, not physically so but politically. Back when Alekzandier first came to the city it had fallen on some hard times, pirates you know. His answer wasn't to tax the peasants, but to instead instate the Water Wardens, a militia that he holds to a very stringent standard. This had won him the hearts of the commoners, but the Advisers and Merchants Council both hold the peasants purse strings." Sindri broke in at this point.

"That doesn't sound right. How are they holding this much control."

"A good question, and one the Temple District's Council of Faith would like to know as well."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Are any of the councilors or their close allies magic users, perhaps? Might they be using enchantments to gain influence? Alternatively, perhaps they are using blackmail or some other form of mundane coercion?

How are the Water Wardens funded, if not by tax revenue?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-14 at 11:03 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"If it were so simple we would have found out by now. The truth of the matter is that of all those I've already mentioned they are known variables to a puzzle that I have yet to find all the pieces for. Both of these council's are moving with a purpose, most of their efforts seem nonsensical until you take all twelve members movements into account. Then a complex web of shadows opens up before us. It's frightening how skilled some of these manipulations can get, even as guarded as we all are they manage to slip past us every time they work in union." The Eldest shudders. "Whomever is pulling the strings is so skilled at this sort of thing I'm sure there are other places, perhaps entire duchies, are already under their control."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

*obviously concerned*

The messenger said something I just realised might be relevant, when telling me to share the information she gave me, she said "I'm no Vecna, the old bones, to enjoy keeping secrets," or something like that. I wonder, could that secretkeeping... so and so... be allied with our apparent primary foe?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-14 at 11:31 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"That is not the best revelation, a servant of those old bones would account for a cunning foe able to manipulate from behind the scenes. The Water Warden's are counted as a privateer company and get to use a first come first serve law on the loot of the boats they capture, but for the first two years young Alekzandier payed for the Wardens out of his own pocket." The Eldest replied, Sindri added his two coppers into this conversion.

"So, we've got two politically strong councils moving agenda's we have no idea about and a have a strong hold on their authority? Not to mention the fact that they may or may not be working for a foe of your church, geez "

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed, Sindri.

Hmm, can we at least exclude them from our initial meeting?

Hmm, or better yet, could we use the meeting as a chance to get information out of them? I could enspell some coins or similarly sized objects with dormant scrying sensors, then activate them at varrious times after the meeting. The spell I'm thinking of offers some protection against discovery, but maybe we could borrow one of our foes' tricks and coat it thin layers of divination-interfearing metal? It should still work as a listening device, though that would probably make it fail as a visual scrying device.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Hm, perhaps, but our current objective isn't to fight these foes, right now." The eldest says as she pulls a book towards her. "They don't know of the Archives and I wish to keep it that way. I plan to tell them you will be an alternate plan, going through a set of catacombs that we may or may not be able to get into after so many years, a necessary deceit."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, having to lie to our actual allies is quite unfortunate. I understand the need, of course.

Still, wouldn't it be wise to try gaining some information out of them? And might we meet with our true allies at some point to tell them the truth, or get them that information by other means?

On another note, Eldest: Might you have access to any quills of scribing and some scroll scribing supplies I could use? I was thinking of scribing some scrolls of spymaster's coin, so Wyrd can activate them and use kir's far more senitive eyes and ears with them. Also, I was thinking of preparing some scrolls of invisibility for Mistress Tenlinia's flight, to give her and her wyvern a chance to get out of the city without being immediately noticed.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me: