New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    And thanks Diego. I can't say I notice a huge difference, but that's nice since it forces you to still draw quick lines. Or maybe it just doesn't work at all and it's all placebo effect.
    Check your settings. I have mine set to a radius of 20 (adjusted bigger or smaller depending on what I'm drawing) and smoothing on 30 with noise off and guides on. I find the different is very noticable.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Tried running it in XP/SP2 compatability mode (since technically it's not compatible with my OS or program), and it seems to be having a bit more effect. It does keep trying to bind to all the words in the dialogue boxes though.

----

Day 31:

Yeah, surfing, not much to say.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ?
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

And the avatar, a request from BasketOfPuppies. (I'm still flabbergasted that someone actually asked me specifically to make something for them). First time hand-drawing the ponies (instead of pathing); I can live with the mistakes since they're inperceptible on the avatar sized one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: little under 2h
    That is a most adorable basket and basket contents combination.

Anyway... As for myself, I've only drawn one thing recently. I figured I should probably share it so people can tell me what needs work.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's supposed to be Galuf from Final Fantasy Five, and because I've drawn it, I know feel like dressing up my OC as all my favourite classes from that game...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Disregard ponies, draw avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

My gnome gadgeteer, Benny Rookle, for gnome week.

Yup, more steampunk.

I'll do something for the ATG again soon, I just felt I really needed a break from it.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Er, Gnome week?

----

Day 32:

I found this prompt better than the previous few, which were all kind of bleh. Even if it will result in large amounts of Doctor Whooves and Back to the Future. Despite that, didn't really do anything good for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 min

----

Day 33:

Another good prompt given a mediocre picture. Celestia's eyes are easier to draw than regular pony eyes I find.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-09-11 at 10:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Er, Gnome week?
    Gnome Week. Every month or two the board has an avatar theme week. This week it's gnomes.

Day 33:

Another good prompt given a mediocre picture. Celestia's eyes are easier to draw than regular pony eyes I find.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? I find Celestia's eyes to be quite tricky.

This is a good picture. The colour you used for Celestia's lines makes it hard to see them though.

Anyway, Day 28
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 28 - Draw a pony struggling/Draw a pony stretching

Yes, I’m doing this again. I decided that I’m not gonna bother trying to catch up with days I missed. Most of them I skipped because the subject didn’t interest me or I was just plain uninspired.

So, this is supposed to be Dash stretching but I don’t think I quite got it. She looks more determined than stretching. Still, I’m pleased with how the lineart came out.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    This is a good picture. The colour you used for Celestia's lines makes it hard to see them though.

Anyway, Day 28
    Spoiler
    Show
    Day 28 - Draw a pony struggling/Draw a pony stretching

Yes, I’m doing this again. I decided that I’m not gonna bother trying to catch up with days I missed. Most of them I skipped because the subject didn’t interest me or I was just plain uninspired.

So, this is supposed to be Dash stretching but I don’t think I quite got it. She looks more determined than stretching. Still, I’m pleased with how the lineart came out.
    Mmm yeah, they were originally a more blue-ish colour, but I changed them to be more like the show, and because I wanted them to be more difficult to distinguish compared to the chess pieces.

I think that's the most on-model pony I've seen from you so far; nice job. Neck and possibly limbs look a little thin, and as you say, it's not quite stretching. Back wing should also maybe be a bit smaller? Not too bad.

----

Day 34:

Based this off SiuiS's avatar, since I really know nothing about Starry Notions (?). Why a unicorn isn't using magic to do this I have no idea, but that's how it is. Art-wise it isn't much, just some semi-cleaned chicken scratch sketching with a dash of colour, but I like how it turned out regardless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30m

EDIT: Except for that grey splotch on the ear, that isn't supposed to be there.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-09-12 at 07:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Day 33:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm... I'm not certain about the outline colour you've used for Celestia... Let me just go check to see what colour they used in the show.
    *Jeopardy Think Music*
    It appears they used a pale pink colour. But I am uncertain if I would have done that either. This is why I hate working with white...
    Ah. I see, she isn't actually white, but a pink so pale it looks white in comparison to everything. I see that you've used pure white, which while in itself isn't a bad idea, it does mean you then have no guideline to base the outline colour on. I suggest that one use a very pale colour, just a few points off white, in such situations as to where a white coat is required.

I hope I actually managed to properly articulate myself and I didn't just sound like a madman there.

Based this off SiuiS's avatar, since I really know nothing about Starry Notions (?). Why a unicorn isn't using magic to do this I have no idea, but that's how it is. Art-wise it isn't much, just some semi-cleaned chicken scratch sketching with a dash of colour, but I like how it turned out regardless.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now, this I like. The only thing I don't like is that how the hat seems to be so completely different in style to the rest. The pony is drawn in a sort of sketch like style, whereas the hat isn't, and it stands out.
    As for why the Unicorn isn't using magic, one must remember that not all situations are conducive to it.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Mmm yeah, they were originally a more blue-ish colour, but I changed them to be more like the show, and because I wanted them to be more difficult to distinguish compared to the chess pieces.

I think that's the most on-model pony I've seen from you so far; nice job. Neck and possibly limbs look a little thin, and as you say, it's not quite stretching. Back wing should also maybe be a bit smaller? Not too bad.
    Many thanks! Yeah, I agree with the wing and limbs. I think the neck is okay, it just looks thinner because of her mane.

On the subject of colours, if you're looking to draw pony, you might want a colour palette or two. (first link seems to be broken at the moment but it was fine a couple of hours ago, so hopefully it will be fixed soon)

Day 29
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 29 - Draw a pony at the finish line/Draw a pony making the grade

AJ at the finish line. Not much to say beside OH MY GOD HOW HARD IS IT TO DRAW A PONY RUNNING FROM THE FRONT THANK GOD FOR REFERENCES.

*Ahem* Anyway, I think this is my first time drawing AJ this ATG. I think I did okay.

Also: background. Woo~
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

10. - Top - End - #460
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Well, the alternative was to throw her into one of the Rp's, and no way I was going to put my little pony through that kind of nightmare.

Is it my imagination, or is fluttershy's arm going right through the wing?
    Heh.

The wing goes under the foreleg and then curls up. They are drawn like a raptor's wigs, with the additional elbow pivot that you don't often see on less predatory birds. The shadows are nicely subtle.

Day 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 20 - Draw a furious pony/Draw a pony burning up

Scarlet Blaze bucks evil-doers in the face. It’s her thing.

Man, this looks like it was made in that pony creator or something, haha.

I don’t know how fire works, okay?
    Fire works by superheating stuff to the point of splitting it and releasing oxygen, I believe! Or something. Really, you should look up classic motorcycles. Old Harley Davidson flames are rad!

Day 34:

Spoiler
    Show

Awww :3
    And for the same reason the non unicorns weren't allowed to use shoulder pads! It's considered cheating. You don't cheat yourself, you gotta build up the callous and do the work... Even if you end up going ornamental or structural and never touching another bar to shoulder ever. Especially if those things happen.

They left out the part about compression sores across the back that make me look like a leper >__>

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Nice stuff.
    Thankee kindly for the feedback Elemental. Indeed I only eyeballed the colour from a screencap which is how I got the goldish outline. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I remember using blue for Celestia in the past; I'll try to keep it in mind for next time.

Not sure if I mentioned it above, but on that pony you posted a while back now (which I do believe we've seen before) try tapering the ends of the lines at the joints and stuff, like the hair is. That simple little change adds a whole lot. Otherwise it's pretty good.
    On the subject of colours, if you're looking to draw pony, you might want a colour palette or two.
    Hmm, useful. I like screencaps and I'll probably keep using them though.
    Fire works by superheating stuff to the point of splitting it and releasing oxygen, I believe! Or something. Really, you should look up classic motorcycles. Old Harley Davidson flames are rad!
    Well, fire works by oxidizing fuel, but you don't have to use oxygen. You can light steel or water on fire by shooting a jet of fluorine gas at them for example.
    Motorcycles is a pretty good idea though. They even come in cartoon or realistic.
    They left out the part about compression sores across the back that make me look like a leper >__>
    Sounds like you had a fun time.

----

Day 35:

Making the grade, civil infrastructure project style.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: hour and a bit

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, I never thought of that. That's a great idea!

Hmm, useful. I like screencaps and I'll probably keep using them though.
    Fair enough, I use them too, usually for the backgrounds, but it's nice to have one pic for nearly every character. Sometimes I use character colour for objects too.

Hmm. I oughta do something for the last day of ATG. Wonder which day I should choose.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Thankee kindly for the feedback Elemental. Indeed I only eyeballed the colour from a screencap which is how I got the goldish outline. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I remember using blue for Celestia in the past; I'll try to keep it in mind for next time.

Not sure if I mentioned it above, but on that pony you posted a while back now (which I do believe we've seen before) try tapering the ends of the lines at the joints and stuff, like the hair is. That simple little change adds a whole lot. Otherwise it's pretty good.
    Hmm... Because I'm not good with colours half the time, rather than eyeball them, I load the picture into Inkscape, or Paint depending on how I feel, and use the eyedropper tool so I can see what the colours are. It's not the quickest method, particularly if I use Paint, but I find it works for me.

It does add a whole lot. It is a shame that it practically doubles my workload, if I exaggerate. I mean, I've been doing it this way for so long, that I could claim stylistic choice, but in truth it's laziness.
    However, despite that, I do find myself liking it this way, and am uncertain as to whether the effort required to better match the show style would be worth it. After all, I do art so rarely, I feel that I should stick with a style that prevents me from hating the very process. Though, a thought did just come to me head that would make the process significantly less complicated. I'll go look into that right this very moment.

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Hmm... Because I'm not good with colours half the time, rather than eyeball them, I load the picture into Inkscape, or Paint depending on how I feel, and use the eyedropper tool so I can see what the colours are. It's not the quickest method, particularly if I use Paint, but I find it works for me.

It does add a whole lot. It is a shame that it practically doubles my workload, if I exaggerate. I mean, I've been doing it this way for so long, that I could claim stylistic choice, but in truth it's laziness.
    However, despite that, I do find myself liking it this way, and am uncertain as to whether the effort required to better match the show style would be worth it. After all, I do art so rarely, I feel that I should stick with a style that prevents me from hating the very process. Though, a thought did just come to me head that would make the process significantly less complicated. I'll go look into that right this very moment.
    I usually eyedropper, but this time I did it by eye, and well, I didn't do such a good job. I probably need to upgrade my eyes to digital.

Doing the lines the way I think you are (I forget the program name), I can see at how that could be a significant increase in workload. When I use PS's paths for ponies I like to try and stay away from spiky hair.

----

Day 36:

Ending on a bit lower of a note, since I sort of spent a lot of my day playing Papers, Please. For a bureaucratic paperwork simulator, I find it oddly compelling. Anyways, just lines (though I did try to make them nice), fulfilling a few of the prompts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: little under an hour

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Day 30
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 30 - Draw any previous theme/Draw every previous theme

Day 8: Pony playing a game/pony winning+Day 22: Pony in a competition+Day 25: Pony at the beach

Was kind of running out of time so I didn’t colour the lines on this one.

Well that’s the ATG over with. I missed a few days but I don’t really care. I got some good practice in and forced myself to draw, which is what matters.

From now on I’ll draw a bit every day, but I’ll go at my own pace. (starting tomorrow because my tablet doesn't want to work today )

That said, I must try and draw at the same time every day. Get myself into the habit. Waiting until 9pm and going “Oops! I need to draw!” Isn’t good.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 37:

ATG is done so my pony shackles are off. Time for some R&R from them I think. Just some two-tone faces trying different techniques (useful for backgrounds I think), and an idea sketch for the Iron Avatarist.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30min

----

Day 38:

I guess some lighting stuff and some very minor perspective work. Probably as close to landscape as I can competently do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h

----

Day 39:

The sketch from two days ago, realized.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 50min

----

Day 40:

Just a person, both my original sketch and the more complete one. Decided the pose was to stiff for the cane unless he was really old, so I put some (barely visible) handcuffs on instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40min
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-09-18 at 05:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

I usually eyedropper, but this time I did it by eye, and well, I didn't do such a good job. I probably need to upgrade my eyes to digital.

Doing the lines the way I think you are (I forget the program name), I can see at how that could be a significant increase in workload. When I use PS's paths for ponies I like to try and stay away from spiky hair.
    I think most of us could benefit from an upgrade to our eyes. Whether or not I'd be comfortable with that is another matter.

Inkscape? Well, one would think it would be hard, and one would be right, if you draw the lines that way from scratch. I've determined a much less annoying process. Firstly, I draw the entire picture the way I do currently, and then come in at the end with the Stroke to Path function and make the adjustments to those lines that need it.
    Of course, I now need to determine which way looks better in my mind...

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Because Monster girls.
    Spoiler
    Show

Just a rough sketch, but it was fun and might be useful.

EDIT -
    Second version of the same Monster Girl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Third version. Not as strong a concept as B, it turns out.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the group shot;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2013-09-19 at 08:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

That for something? It seems to developed to be just random.

And it's quite a bit less disturbing than I reason it should be. Not sure if that should worry me or not.

----

Day 41:

Was going to start a couple day project that I had kicking around in my head, but then laboriously realized that I probably wasn't going to have as much time as I thought I would in the next couple days. So instead you get this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 min

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, yes its for something alright. Deadly is starting a changeling game. I have a character concept but am having difficulty refining it. I also spent yesterday afternoon reading a book full of legend of Zelda concept art, so I decided to work on the aesthetic first.

So one of these or some combination will be Penelope Picollet, my tiny ogre girl. Its definitely not meant to be disturbing or scary or anything like that, so working as intended? She is after all basically a little lost girl.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah ok. Not familiar with Changeling (or really, any WoD 'cept Mage). She isn't disturbing, but intellectually, it feels like something with that many hands should be.

----

Day 42:

30 minutes. Grey. It came out alright. Kind of trying to see what I could do in a short time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    30 minutes

----

Day 43:

More "painting" finally today. The one hand is way tinier than the other. I do like how the face turned out though. Also probably shouldn't have gone with such a dark background, contrasts a little too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: little over an hour

----

Day 44:

Another brush shape. Nothing interesting to see here though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20min

----

Day 45:

Another one of those random ideas that comes up while drawing. The bombing babouchka. I think she's a Seer. The eyes worked spectacularly on this one, though it looks like I left a couple of smoke smudges across her face.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 46:

Crystal cavern. Maybe Khyber? Or subterranean Crystal Empire.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 47:

A forest clearing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-09-25 at 06:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Bumpity bump

----

Days 48-54:

So yeah, I just spent seven days on one piece... The one I mentioned earlier that I had the idea for but wanted some more time to do it. I can't honestly say it didn't live up to my mind's eye as it undoubtedly would have, had it looked anything at all like my original concept. Still, I'm not completely displeased, I just didn't have the composition skill to make it how I had originally intended.

Not entirely sure it looks much better than one of the quicker ones I mock up in an hour or two, but it's defiantly more complex. Buildings have some perspective issues, there's some style clash, the usual. Overall I think it might look better severely cropped, with the MoWT building cut out entirely, which might help a bit, though you'd lose most of the foreground square.

Spoiler: Some minor FoE spoilers I guess
    Show
    Time: 1-2h on the weekdays, a few on the weekend

And of course, thanks to Tiki for the protectron design, and some guy called Oxon1 on deviantart for the pinkie pie poster.

Oh yeah, I also have day end copies, if anyone is interested in how it progressed step by step.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-10-03 at 12:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Colossus in the Playground

Bumpity bump

----

Days 48-54:

So yeah, I just spent seven days on one piece... The one I mentioned earlier that I had the idea for but wanted some more time to do it. I can't honestly say it didn't live up to my mind's eye as it undoubtedly would have, had it looked anything at all like my original concept. Still, I'm not completely displeased, I just didn't have the composition skill to make it how I had originally intended.

Not entirely sure it looks much better than one of the quicker ones I mock up in an hour or two, but it's defiantly more complex. Buildings have some perspective issues, there's some style clash, the usual. Overall I think it might look better severely cropped, with the MoWT building cut out entirely, which might help a bit, though you'd lose most of the foreground square.

Spoiler: Some minor FoE spoilers I guess
    Show
    Time: 1-2h on the weekdays, a few on the weekend

And of course, thanks to Tiki for the protectron design, and some guy called Oxon1 on deviantart for the pinkie pie poster.

Oh yeah, I also have day end copies, if anyone is interested in how it progressed step by step.
    One: Box buildings are literally the most terrible things visually.
    Two: The MoWT logo being exactly above the neck of that decapitated statue is a terrible compositional choice.
    Three: Colours are too vivid in the foreground. Make everything significantly more greyed.

The background, however, is great and commendable.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    One: Box buildings are literally the most terrible things visually.
    Two: The MoWT logo being exactly above the neck of that decapitated statue is a terrible compositional choice.
    Three: Colours are too vivid in the foreground. Make everything significantly more greyed.

The background, however, is great and commendable.
    Ooh, thankee. I agree with the buildings and MoWT, which is why I suggested it might look better without it. I did however do the box buildings on purpose, because if tensions are escalating and you need some short order construction of new government buildings, they're probably going to end up as concrete cubes. I didn't remember how they were in the story though (MoM had a glass atrium?). Overall they don't actually match my "headcanon" of the area at all.

Two I agree completely with, and was something I noticed during, but couldn't find a way to correct satisfactorily.

Three I see, though perhaps a more green/yellowish tint too, because of the light sources? I think the grey is all blue based which doesn't really help.

Your comments are much appreciated though.

----

Day 55:

Eyes were a problem. The basket came out really nice though, at least at original size. Didn't make the grin (and those eyes again!) creepy enough.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 1.5h

----

Day 56:

Another spur of the moment idea, though I actually wasn't eating chinese food. Not sure if I've ever seen it come in a box like that either.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 20 min

----

Day 57:

This was more for the wooden table, rather than the stuff on it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 30min?

----

Day 58:

Springboard Jackie. Decided to try plain lines some more, since that's for sure an area where I need lots of improvement. Sorry for ugly purplish-red background colour. Neck's a little long, but count yourselves lucky you didn't see the original layout sketch.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 30 min

----

Day 59:

Pony makes strange things happen.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 1h?

----

Day 60:

Just a quick thing today.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time: 10min

----

Day 61:

Because someone mentioned it in the other thread. I'll throw it in as a submission for the Iron Avatarist too.
    Spoiler:
    Show

----

Day 62:

Mystery Door!
    Spoiler:
    Show

----

Day 63:

Probably should have gotten some references for this one. Let's just say he's settling into the blocks, and then it makes a bit more sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 25min
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-10-11 at 10:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh pony thread, it's been months. But for good reasons rather then just giving up. I have been working on a project which I can't say anything about. It's non-pony related and the bulk of it is 3d graphics. But lately I have been trying to brush up on my more traditional colors and stuff. So more pony art. Which I will post here.

Day 61:

Because someone mentioned it in the other thread. I'll throw it in as a submission for the Iron Avatarist too.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is... Is that a Winnie the Pooh?! Or should I go to bed now?

Spoiler: D1
    Show
    This is a old new picture that I am trying to finish up. It's Rarity teaching AJ how to sew. A old idea born from the season 3 finale. I'm trying to loosen up and do these pictures faster, while also wading into the deep saturated side of the color pool. With varying success.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Oh pony thread, it's been months. But for good reasons rather then just giving up. I have been working on a project which I can't say anything about. It's non-pony related and the bulk of it is 3d graphics. But lately I have been trying to brush up on my more traditional colors and stuff. So more pony art. Which I will post here.
    Months? *checks* I guess you're right. Your arm better?

Pretty sure I'm the only one really around right now. Just keeping the thread clean, sweeping the floors and the like. Sometimes someone drops in for a visit, but overall, it seems most of them have been scared off.
    Is... Is that a Winnie the Pooh?! Or should I go to bed now?
    Winnie the Space Marine, but you are correct.
    Spoiler: D1
    Show
    This is a old new picture that I am trying to finish up. It's Rarity teaching AJ how to sew. A old idea born from the season 3 finale. I'm trying to loosen up and do these pictures faster, while also wading into the deep saturated side of the color pool. With varying success.

Mm, nice. Eyes and mouths look like they were painted on the ponies instead of being part of them, but that's the only real thing I have. Maybe your posting will get someone else to drop in and give you some better advice (especially colour, since I don't really know much about that). I like the small detail of snow in the window too. Since you say you were trying to go faster, how long did that picture take so far?

----

Day 64:

Kind of a bad conglomeration/mishmash of a few different experiments.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: somewhere under an hour

27. - Top - End - #477
    Dwarf in the Playground

Months? *checks* I guess you're right. Your arm better?
    Yep, the strange tingling feeling is all but gone and I can control all of my fingers perfectly! In a strange philosophical bent, it was good thing because it taught me not to take my good health and reflexes for granted. Best to keep doing art stuff while I still can. My hands will probably fall off next with my luck.

Pretty sure I'm the only one really around right now. Just keeping the thread clean, sweeping the floors and the like. Sometimes someone drops in for a visit, but overall, it seems most of them have been scared off.
    I would say I will try to post something at least once a week, but I don't want to jinx it. Recently though, my work schedule changed so I don't have to do my long 3-4 hour a day commute as often so I have more time. Or not really more time. It's just easier to procrastinate drawing ponies at home instead of working.

Winnie the Space Marine, but you are correct.
    It's awesome! Not that I know much about Space Marines besides the fact that Games Workshop makes awesome art and miniatures.

Mm, nice. Eyes and mouths look like they were painted on the ponies instead of being part of them, but that's the only real thing I have. Maybe your posting will get someone else to drop in and give you some better advice (especially colour, since I don't really know much about that). I like the small detail of snow in the window too. Since you say you were trying to go faster, how long did that picture take so far?
    Well, I said I was planning to go at this faster. That picture however, was very slow. I worked on it about 5-6 months or so ago and stopped when it was a bunch of color blobs. About two days ago I saw it and decided to finish it up. One of the new things was giving those poor pony color blobs eyes to view their world, which is one of the reasons why they look painted on. They really are. :p
    But think I fixed the effect a bit by fooling around with the lights and shadows and giving more form to the eyeballs. At least I think it helped anyway.

Day 64:

Kind of a bad conglomeration/mishmash of a few different experiments.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: somewhere under an hour
    This one is nice, but I feel like the colors of the gray stone structures are too close to one another, especially the front structures and the back building. It's hard to get a feel of space and distance in the picture.

Spoiler: Nitpicks and questionable suggestions
    Show
    Also (on a somewhat related note), I can't help but note the lack of shadows. There are shadows on the structures to give them detail (and it's very nice, especially on the front ones). But the structures do not cast shadows on each other. From the shadows which are there the sun seems to be to the left-back-ish side of the viewer. If so, I can't help but imagine that the DNA brass structure could cast a shadow on the building on the back, by making the shadow bigger or smaller you can help the viewer measure the distance and size of the building and monuments. Also, there are clouds in the sky, it would be very cool to have them cast one of their shadows partially on the building.

Also, the windows and brass/gold DNA monument are just begging to have the sun reflect off of them. This is the middle of the day and they are just begging for highlights. Alternatively, you could make the windows reflect the sky and clouds.

Today I learned about insanity.

Spoiler
    Show
    D1.1

New on the left, old on the right.
    Spoiler
    Show

Followed around with the colors in the eyes and mouths, per Madcrafter's suggestions. The eyes should look more like they have a curve, and the mouth should have more depth since I used darker colors for the back. Also I changed the highlights on AJ's eye to be a tad bit more realistic. At least I think. So here is a comparison. Is it better? Worst? Should I just give it up?

TS1

So anyway, today I was thinking about a old problem I always had with drawing ponies. Mainly drawing pony's muzzles. My pony muzzles always end up floating all over the ponies face. Even more so when I have to draw a pony in a none show head position. I can't draw pony muzzels like cartoon dog or cat muzzles (as a cube or circle) or else it will look weird. So today I had a eureka moment! When drawing the ball and cross for the ponies head, shoot a arrow through the cross! And use that to anchor the position of the nostrils on the muzzle!
    No one probably knows what I'm talking about...

Here's a illustration. And a scribbled doodly Twilight Sparkle. It was on the same page so I included it...
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, most people can probably just eyeball the pony snout and don't need those shenanigans, but it seems to work for me....
    Thoughts?

M1 or Thoughts.
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's Rarity. This was a exercise with inked line art and quick coloring. I didn't time the doodle but coloring took about one hour. Still too slow, but I'm somewhat happy with how it came out. Mostly the eyes. Those are the best 5 minute eyes I have ever colored.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Colossus in the Playground

Yay! Bakuel isn't dead! =D

29. - Top - End - #479
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Yay! Bakuel isn't dead! =D
    But not really alive either....

Spoiler: M2
    Show

Obligatory annoying link.
    Yay ground lighting sources! Took 3 hours thanks to the blasted snakes, augh on inking. Shadows could be darker looking back. Lazy painted candle is sloppy. Or maybe I should just say lazy picture is sloppy?
    Anyway, hopefully I'll stay alive this time.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2013-10-15 at 01:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    But not really alive either....

Spoiler: M2
    Show

Obligatory annoying link.
    Yay ground lighting sources! Took 3 hours thanks to the blasted snakes, augh on inking. Shadows could be darker looking back. Lazy painted candle is sloppy. Or maybe I should just say lazy picture is sloppy?
    Anyway, hopefully I'll stay alive this time.
    Your link is broken there. Picture does not exist.

----

Day 65:

Only got a tiny bit started on this one before it was turkey time, so didn't actually get that far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time" 20min

----

Day 66:

Great thing about Monday being a holiday is I can catch up on all the work I still need to get done this weekend. Anyways, another one of those completely unplanned/whatever first comes to mind drawings. Came out alright, but I redid the eyes and totally screwed them up (they looked way better before). Also, I like putting on the textures, it makes everything look so much less... digital.
    Spoiler
    Show