New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Madcrafter: Holy sh*t dude make a new post for each picture. WE DON'T MIND

Also your painting style is a bit watery. I think you could do a lot more with hard edges and sharper contrasts.

Mirrsen: As usual, you're above my level of mastery and I can't think of useful advice. I like what you do but cannot be helpful!

I tried MyPaint but it does not recognize a stylus-flip as eraser activation, which is basically a deal-breaker.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I tried MyPaint but it does not recognize a stylus-flip as eraser activation, which is basically a deal-breaker.
    It does, actually. It might tend to forget which is which if you're switching between them too quickly, but it remembers which tool you select with which side of the stylus. I'm not using the feature too much nowadays because the built-in stylus of the ATIV doesn't have an eraser, though I do have a stylus from the Slate 7, which has the eraser side, and works.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I always figured that blocking your view with the drawing hand would be the worst part about using a screened one, even though it's just like paper. It says the pen is made by Wacom, does it do tilt?
    No, unfortunately. That's one major difference between a Companion and an ATIV.

Still, for the price of the Companion, you could buy the ATIV Tab 7, and an A4-sized Intuos. Want drawing on the go, use just the tablet PC. Want extra features and detail, set the tablet down in laptop mode, and plug in the wireless Intuos. The only reason I don't do the latter is because the Intuos 4 I have is larger than the ATIV, and would need a separate carrying case.

edit: Drew my own character from the earlier mentioned Einsteinian Roulette game:
    Spoiler: Anton Chernozorov is a bit of a tinkerer.
    Show
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-04-30 at 01:36 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh I mind. No point in bumping it so often with all the crap I put out.

More contrast, sharper edges. I think I can probably manage that in the future.

----

Days 263-6:

Just quick piano player.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tried to do some twisting thing with the box. The guy ended up with a completely broken back though (he was done first).
    Spoiler
    Show

Another fast thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

And an experiment in more minimalist. Photo viewers don't even seem to be able to handle it though (chunks get cut out); hopefully it displays ok on the web.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40min?
    EDIT: Ah, looks normal. That's good.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-05-03 at 01:33 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

4. - Top - End - #514

More contrast, sharper edges. I think I can probably manage that in the future.

----

Days 263-6:

Just quick piano player.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the pianist's face represents his bewilderment at how either the piano, or himself, is supported in the air by nothing in particular. :P

And an experiment in more minimalist. Photo viewers don't even seem to be able to handle it though (chunks get cut out); hopefully it displays ok on the web.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40min?
    EDIT: Ah, looks normal. That's good.
    Very nice effect on the metal there, and the sheet of paper looks pretty realistically lying there, but the small, undereducated physicist in me is screaming bloody murder at such a shiny diffuse surface not scattering enough light to define the ominous figure of the owner of the arm standing beside the table, faintly reverse-silhouetted against the blackness. No need for detail, just a near-black grey silhouette, and maybe the faint gleam of eyes - or perhaps glasses. That's how it seems to me, at least.

---------------------------------------
    Made another sketch, of another character from the Einsteinian Roulette game. The player giving me the description said that it's probably got way too many things on it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He might have been right. But I've done worse with my own designs, so it works. ^_^
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-05-04 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Why is there no [hr] separator tag?
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

5. - Top - End - #515

I actively mind that you do not do this. You are a developing artist. You need critique and guidance. You need someone to call you on your crap. If you are stealth-editing stuff in to massive compilation posts that I never get updates about then I do not check your art and I do not comment!

You are actively harming yourself with this stupid attitude. CUT IT OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I think the pianist's face represents his bewilderment at how either the piano, or himself, is supported in the air by nothing in particular. :P

Very nice effect on the metal there, and the sheet of paper looks pretty realistically lying there, but the small, undereducated physicist in me is screaming bloody murder at such a shiny diffuse surface not scattering enough light to define the ominous figure of the owner of the arm standing beside the table, faintly reverse-silhouetted against the blackness. No need for detail, just a near-black grey silhouette, and maybe the faint gleam of eyes - or perhaps glasses. That's how it seems to me, at least.

---------------------------------------
    Made another sketch, of another character from the Einsteinian Roulette game. The player giving me the description said that it's probably got way too many things on it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He might have been right. But I've done worse with my own designs, so it works. ^_^

This is a bit busy, but I think if you removed the skull-helmet it would be more than tolerable. That's the only thing that's throwing off the silhouette.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-05-04 at 08:23 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

This Einsteinian Roulette game sounds a lot like Paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I actively mind that you do not do this. You are a developing artist. You need critique and guidance. You need someone to call you on your crap. If you are stealth-editing stuff in to massive compilation posts that I never get updates about then I do not check your art and I do not comment!

You are actively harming yourself with this stupid attitude. CUT IT OUT.
    Whoa, alright cap'n.

I'm keeping up compilations though, because economies of scale.

----

Day 267:

No time, just did a squiggle and made it into something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: <5m

----

Day 268:

More random junk pony sketches.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 269-71:

Caravan Master Halmaro. This one came out absolutely terribly, just innumerable things went wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~3h

7. - Top - End - #517

Whoa, alright cap'n.

Days 269-71:

Caravan Master Halmaro. This one came out absolutely terribly, just innumerable things went wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~3h
    whaat did i jussssst say about bulky shapeless clothes.

Two hands together can cover the total surface area of your face. Try it! It's a basic rule of proportion. Those tiny little mitts couldn't wrap his nose.

Hard lines! The watery fading scale does not work in marking where clothing folds are and anything but the vaguest of shadow placements.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-05-07 at 03:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, as I said, innumerable wrongs.

----

Day 272-4:

...And then I went ahead and didn't change anything.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Few hours

Add garment design to the list of thing I should look into. I feel I need to figure out where to put seams.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-05-10 at 10:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Overall a decently stressful and unproductive week, plenty of bad sketches.

----

Day 275:

Pony, and a cockroach or something. Head came out alright, legs are flat.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 276:

Some sort of weird alien attack dog or something.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 277:

Nothing like a kick down the door old school dungeon crawl. This one I think didn't come out too bad given the little time I spent on it.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 278:

An engine-less plane.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 279:

Tried going sketch->lineart->colour on this one, matching the lines to the colour inside after. I think it could work, maybe with some thinner lines overall (these were quite thick). It took a while too.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 280:

Just a badly done guy with an adze and some little pony doodles in the corner.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 281:

Scribble sketches, just a few minutes.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 282:

Lord Tirec! I keep appending "lord" without thinking, it just matches so well. No sketch for this one, went blocking straight out. And I actually used a reference picture for the first time in a long time, which helped. Simply coloured with an overlay layer after doing it all in greyscale. Nose needs the most work.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Blargh. Blargle blargh.
    Spoiler: Blargle Princess
    Show

Eh. It's not a step forward, but it's something and maybe that'll break the funk and allow me to get that one picture I owe Thanqol moving.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice to see someone else in these lonely halls at least. Hopefully you get your inspiration back.

----

Day 283:

Just a head.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 284:

Tried to do the whole sketch->lineart->colour->shading progression. I picked horrible colours though.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 285-6:

Twilight and Tirec. Unfinished, won't probably be continued.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 287:

A day of mourning. Not really, from a movie kinda.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 288:

Aztec Luna! Didn't come out too bad for an hour and half sketch I don't think. I'm afraid doing any more will ruin it though. Also her snout is kind of weird, and pose a little stiff. Oh and thanks for that inspiration Thanqol, been slow lately.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1.5h
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-05-25 at 12:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #522

Eh, not really. Although there are some resemblances. Everything is out to kill you, including your teammates (even if mostly unintentionally), there are plenty of secrets and levels of clearance, dying for good takes some doing or a lot of bad luck, and of course there's the AI always watching everything you do.

Except in this case the computer is actually your friend. In a "doesn't really want you to die because he needs you for his overthrowing of the corrupt oppressive government he used to serve under" kind of way.

Speaking of, I made an illustration for a recent event in the game. The prison/battleship the crew was serving on these past few years is departing Hephaestus, the first planet liberated in the revolution. My character is one of those remaining behind to manage it (and its vast weapons design and manufacturing complex), and he decided to give the ship a little bit of a sendoff because nobody else thought of it.

Spoiler
    Show

The aurora is a local phenomenon that we're hiding our secondary base under, and why exactly it's there would take too long to explain.
    Event post here if you want. The whole game is an interesting read too.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-05-25 at 05:20 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Nice to see someone else in these lonely halls at least. Hopefully you get your inspiration back.
    Not sure I'd say it was a matter of inspiration as much as mental energy, the drive to actually get things done.
    But thanks.

Looking at it with fresh eyes, it's not so terrible as it felt by the time I posted it. The head is still too small by far, but though the shading is basic it does look quite crisp and the pose is a lot less stupid looking than I remembered, so I guess it's not a total washout even if I do feel like I've backslid considerably in terms of capabilities since my last bought of productivity.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

This thread is open to everyone and isn't just Madcrafter's daily challenge, right?
    If so, I'll get my scanner working/an image up tomorrow.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Not sure I'd say it was a matter of inspiration as much as mental energy, the drive to actually get things done.
    But thanks.
    Bitte. I find them to be basically interchangeable. High inspiration goes with high energy and productivity, but the opposite is also true (and that's when I just end up doing a bunch of rough uncoloured sketches).

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    This thread is open to everyone and isn't just Madcrafter's daily challenge, right?
    If so, I'll get my scanner working/an image up tomorrow.
    Oh, no it's not for just me. But there hasn't been much of anyone else posting for the most part in the last while. Maybe I should advertise in ponythread general.

And welcome to the forums.

----

Day 289:

Coloured the Luna sketch, just with some very basic colour/shading.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 290:

Just some guy. Cloth folds is still on my to do list.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 291:

Yeah, nothing much here.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 292:

Ruined castle on a hill. Mostly just some limited sketch shading.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 293:

This is a tv check screen if you can see it. As you can tell, it was a low inspiration week.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 294:

I read Equestria From Dust. Figured Celestia and the sandstone could be a blank white picture, just lineart. It worked ok.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 295:

Ohhh, look at the cute widdle baby changeling in his cocoon.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 296:

Second Octavia. I need to draw more ponies, still can never get them right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-02 at 12:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I'm not very good, but I may as well put up what I draw.

I got my scanner working. Though now I'm seeing a drawback to using a sketchbook. I'll have to see if my lab has a better scanner for the future.

Day 1:
    My thinking behind this was "huh, wings sound fun". Followed by 2 hours of, "ARRRRG, nothing in this image is coming together". But it did, more or less.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2014-06-03 at 12:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    I got my scanner working. Though now I'm seeing a drawback to using a sketchbook. I'll have to see if my lab has a better scanner for the future.

Day 1:
    My thinking behind this was "huh, wings sound fun". Followed by 2 hours of, "ARRRRG, nothing in this image is coming together". But it did, more or less.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Better than I had, I always took photos with my phone which didn't work to great.

And yeah, wings are hard. Overall I wouldn't say it's too bad for a start, you can at least draw a better line then I can. Some parts are a bit flat, like around the right wrist, and she's really tall too. And thanks for reminding me that cloth folds are still on my to do list...

If you have the time, I would suggest perusing through some of the useful content at the beginning of the thread. And anatomy, more anatomy is always good. I'm not really the best for giving advice or criticism, if you're realy after some feedback I might suggest making your own thread, since this one moves at an absolutely glacial pace.

----

Days 297, 298:

Just quick things, scary computers and a thing from the talking to yourself conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 299-300:

And day 300 is here (again!). On to the home stretch for a year! A thin-legged Pinkamena will help celebrate. I mucked up the whole back leg though, butt included.
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Ugh, and now I just had the brilliant idea that I should've redone the Spartans picture from the last day 300, it would have worked as a good comparison.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-06 at 12:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you have the time, I would suggest perusing through some of the useful content at the beginning of the thread. And anatomy, more anatomy is always good. I'm not really the best for giving advice or criticism, if you're realy after some feedback I might suggest making your own thread, since this one moves at an absolutely glacial pace.
    Ehhh, if I can keep a pace that I'm happyish with, I'll move to my own thread. Just putting it on the internet somewhere is enough motivation for me to do my best.

Day 2:
    Trying out the style from one of the webcomics I follow, Sequential Art. This was a lot of fun to draw.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 3:
    I started this drawing way too late. When I look at the clock and it says 2:00 in the morning, the correct answer is go to bed, not start drawing. Hence no shading. The hands didn't come out particularly well. I'll have to do some hand practicing this week.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 4:
    I was uninspired, so I asked my roommate for an idea. He said Rapidash. I think this is my first image ever of a non-human/non-background object. I should probably work on that...
    Contributed a pony to the pony thread, Check (kinda).
    Spoiler
    Show

Well I have approximately infinite things to work on.
    My ever growing list of ideas/goal for the near future:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Work on hands
    2. Try more non-human subjects.
    3. Keep alternating between heavily and lightly using a model
    4. Maybe some proportions practice.
    5. Make an avatar
    6. Something should involve fishing
    7. Continue trying to draw more interesting/ non form fitting clothing
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2014-06-12 at 10:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't focus just on hands; try and learn your general anatomy, especially since most of it is a lot harder to hide than hands. Proportions are important too.

----

Days 301-3:

I didn't do anything interesting this week, almost all just sketch-things. First are two database wizards, Henry and Clive, and a really awfully done galaxy (I had the tv on on COSMOS).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 304-7:

Practice with ponyforms. I can't do the noses like, at all. probably should downgrade to just heads to get in some serious hundred or so. Also not sure where that black mark came from on the Twilight, wasn't there in the file...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 308:

And finally, happy birthday to me. I shot down the cake idea in real life, so i drew a fake one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-25 at 12:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #530

And once again poor Madcrafter is left to be the only one staffing the thread. *sigh* There used to be so many people here...

Unfortunately, I don't draw all too often either. But right now I have a neat image in mind, and I'm trying to transfer it to the canvas.

Spoiler: Very sketchy
    Show

It's Pony Rangers again, with some inspiration from TTGL and maybe Gundams. Anyone have any scene setup advice? Somehow it doesn't look nearly as action-y and dynamic as it's theoretically supposed to be. Or perhaps it's actiony enough, but I don't get the sense of directed movement from it - what can I do to give it more.... momentum? Don't know how to describe it. So that the motion properly looks like it transitions from the exploded mech's movement and into Ranger!RD's flying dropkick. (Or maybe it's all because it's all so sketchy, hell if I know. >_>)

I also don't know what to do with the space in the bottom right - the angry anime-ish RD face is more of a placeholder.

It's times like these that I actually somewhat wish that I had attended some kind of actual art school. :P
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

And once again poor Madcrafter is left to be the only one staffing the thread. *sigh* There used to be so many people here...

Unfortunately, I don't draw all too often either. But right now I have a neat image in mind, and I'm trying to transfer it to the canvas.

Spoiler: Very sketchy
    Show

It's Pony Rangers again, with some inspiration from TTGL and maybe Gundams. Anyone have any scene setup advice? Somehow it doesn't look nearly as action-y and dynamic as it's theoretically supposed to be. Or perhaps it's actiony enough, but I don't get the sense of directed movement from it - what can I do to give it more.... momentum? Don't know how to describe it. So that the motion properly looks like it transitions from the exploded mech's movement and into Ranger!RD's flying dropkick. (Or maybe it's all because it's all so sketchy, hell if I know. >_>)

I also don't know what to do with the space in the bottom right - the angry anime-ish RD face is more of a placeholder.

It's times like these that I actually somewhat wish that I had attended some kind of actual art school. :P
    Yeah, very empty. Not much going on.

I do think I see what you mean. Keeping in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, I think you might have too much focus on the explosion itself. Those two lines going up the sides both point towards it exclusively, and the eyes get drawn up right past RD. There is a lot of separation between her and the explosion too; it appears there is something connecting them, but it looks more like a levitation beam from an alien spacecraft at this point.

I think you could maybe angle the image a bit more, just for some extra dynamism, and move RD more in front of the explosion, maybe add some features to it to make it very clear that she is coming out from it (that little extra burst you see in movies and stuff).

Finally the the pony herself is maybe lacking a bit of focus in pose, with limbs going every which way. Just some things to think about, take or leave as you see fit.

----

Day 309:

Not very anatomically sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 310:

Another pony head.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 311-2:

Pony cardinal. Kind of a style smush.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 313-5, 317-9:

This one was a victim of its own inspirational potential. Kept wanting to finish it and do a nice job, but kept only getting in short increments that pushed it into the next day. Eventually I just had to be done with it even though it was nowhere near where I wanted. Also suffered from a bit of a style change midway.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 316:

This one was going to be a break from the last, but I forgot about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 320:

Just a face.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 321-2:

Another unfinished one, this one purposefully so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-27 at 11:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

I do think I see what you mean. Keeping in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, I think you might have too much focus on the explosion itself. Those two lines going up the sides both point towards it exclusively, and the eyes get drawn up right past RD. There is a lot of separation between her and the explosion too; it appears there is something connecting them, but it looks more like a levitation beam from an alien spacecraft at this point.

I think you could maybe angle the image a bit more, just for some extra dynamism, and move RD more in front of the explosion, maybe add some features to it to make it very clear that she is coming out from it (that little extra burst you see in movies and stuff).

Finally the the pony herself is maybe lacking a bit of focus in pose, with limbs going every which way. Just some things to think about, take or leave as you see fit.
    Yeah, some or most of that was pretty much my theory as well. It's surprisingly hard to line up these tricky-angled shots. :P

<art snipperty>
    Some of these are interesting. The Discord/Celestia one really does look like it has/had potential (although it kinda looks like he's using the flowers as distraction while he's trying for a one-handed chokehold). There's something subtly wrong with the cardinal... he looks.... I don't know, half-descended from a turtle. Maybe it's the color exacerbating the shape.
    And the last one... what happened to the guy/dwarf's neck? It honestly looks like one of those optical-illusion impossible geometry shapes to me. It would've looked almost normal if the second arm (not holding the torch) was hidden, so the figure would be looking back over its shoulder, and the torch-holding arm would be its left. As it is, there are a number of oddities that my mind is struggling to reconcile with each other.

======================

And, back to this thing, I kinda need more help. I wonder if Thanqol still comes by this thread, he's usually good with ideas and weird perspective shots.

Spoiler
    Show

So the problem is that I've got an idea of what I want the picture to contain, but I'm stuck on how to fit it all within the picture so that it's still recognizable. Basically, I'd like RD's flying kick to be aimed at Chrysalis (because a defensive spam attack seems more in her and the changelings' character), but the angle makes it hard to adequately represent the reaction of the target in the same frame. Some advice would be very welcome. Maybe make it more like a comic page and have the reaction in a separate panel, or a cut-in?

edit: This is what I came up with so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-06-30 at 05:46 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of these are interesting. The Discord/Celestia one really does look like it has/had potential (although it kinda looks like he's using the flowers as distraction while he's trying for a one-handed chokehold). There's something subtly wrong with the cardinal... he looks.... I don't know, half-descended from a turtle. Maybe it's the color exacerbating the shape.
    And the last one... what happened to the guy/dwarf's neck? It honestly looks like one of those optical-illusion impossible geometry shapes to me. It would've looked almost normal if the second arm (not holding the torch) was hidden, so the figure would be looking back over its shoulder, and the torch-holding arm would be its left. As it is, there are a number of oddities that my mind is struggling to reconcile with each other.
    Yeah, that was the intention with the Discord/Celestia one, very aggressive bordering on creepy. As for the last guy his beard is covering his neck (checked the original sketch, he does actually have one under there). I don't quite see the impossible geometry, although his body is twisted enough that he should be falling over from unbalance with the position of his legs.

======================

And, back to this thing, I kinda need more help. I wonder if Thanqol still comes by this thread, he's usually good with ideas and weird perspective shots.

Spoiler
    Show

So the problem is that I've got an idea of what I want the picture to contain, but I'm stuck on how to fit it all within the picture so that it's still recognizable. Basically, I'd like RD's flying kick to be aimed at Chrysalis (because a defensive spam attack seems more in her and the changelings' character), but the angle makes it hard to adequately represent the reaction of the target in the same frame. Some advice would be very welcome. Maybe make it more like a comic page and have the reaction in a separate panel, or a cut-in?

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanqol has posted in here maybe four times in the last year, which I guess makes him a frequent poster. Might be able to get him to come by with a political rap or something, chuck a cow skull through his window, maybe a sacrifice on the altar in the corner.

If you're in a pinch, a PM might do though.

I do like the comic style panel form, even if it breaks the flow a bit (and Twilight and the others are a nice addition). I guess it depends on how much of Chrysalis's face you're after. The original would've worked alright too in my opinion; you had a decent view of her expression there too.

----

Day 323:

A bug.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 324, 5:

A stone and a set stone. Bit rough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-07-01 at 02:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534

Yeah, some or most of that was pretty much my theory as well. It's surprisingly hard to line up these tricky-angled shots. :P

======================

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah I'm still around. I think that what you want to have in this picture is not the cutaway, which looks kinda weird, but Chrysalis turning around to run away/yell at minions. If you wanted to cut-panel it then add a silhouette of Chryssie getting kicked by RD in the bottom right. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Also RD looks like she's queen-waving with her right forehoof and her left one is hanging totally casually to one side. I might straighten her right forehoof upwards to emphasize the vertical motion, or bring her hooves across into a fighting guard position on the left side of her body so she feels 'balanced' against the extended leg.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Been taking it easy this week, as my wrist is all borked again. Just sketch.

----

Day 326:

Starting with Fluttershy who has the nicest and easiest hair of the mane six to draw.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 327:

And half a Twilight. Because who needs hind legs when you can fly. Eyes are completely messed though.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 328:

Rarity, looking sideways.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 329:

And AJ.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 330:

And in case you thought this might be RD, it's not. So close Costa Rica, so close.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 331:

Had the inspiration for this from a completely unrelated image in the drawfriend. Want to improve and colour this in the future if I remember. Still debating if Twi should get a Solo cut for it. And maybe some more accurate eyes for Fluffle.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 332:

And today, werewolf Pinkie. Another one I think I might like to do more on later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-07-08 at 12:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536

Back in our Einsteinian Roulette game, a fellow teammate managed to do two things: get his artificial legs blown off, and, through the magic of the Roll To Dodge system, accidentally weld them back on... to his suit's chestplate. In working order.

Spoiler: This was too strange not to draw. Warning, human body in GERWALK mode. Might be horrifilarious.
    Show

Then I drew a White Wind pony for one of the people on my Skype contact list. I just like her design, and periodically drawing her lets me keep track of how my drawing style shifts.

Spoiler: Gust of Wind
    Show

Then there was a sketch of a gun that isn't really worth looking at unless you're really into portable free-electron lasers...

And just recently I drew this thing, which is what my ER character, being a weapons designer, will likely be designing in the future assuming he survives the current events.

Spoiler: Big armored robot. One of the few things I'm still consistently good at drawing.
    Show

Boy, have I been productive this week. (not) >_>
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2014-07-13 at 12:04 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah now I'm slow on the update.
    Back in our Einsteinian Roulette game, a fellow teammate managed to do two things: get his artificial legs blown off, and, through the magic of the Roll To Dodge system, accidentally weld them back on... to his suit's chestplate. In working order.

Spoiler: This was too strange not to draw. Warning, human body in GERWALK mode. Might be horrifilarious.
    Show
    It just gets a bit more disturbing the longer I look at it... People are not made like that.

Then I drew a White Wind pony for one of the people on my Skype contact list. I just like her design, and periodically drawing her lets me keep track of how my drawing style shifts.

Spoiler: Gust of Wind
    Show
    Looks to me like you've gotten a bit rounder, and for lack of a better term, bubbly, though that might just be the nature of the recent images.

----

Mostly lines this time around.

Day 333:

Celestia, at a sort of 150 degree angle I don't think I've tried before.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 334:

It's neat how much you can pack into a face with just a few lines.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 335:

Or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 336:

That oppressive sun. Something gave me the inspiration for this, but I don't remember what. Another I think might look neat as a coloured image.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 337:

Oops, someone splashed Rarity. Back to chicken scratches.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 338:

Not much here, a few triangle figures but I got bored so made a face instead, trying different brushes.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 339-40:

Colour of the Rarity from above. I probably should have gotten rid of the lines instead of keeping and colouring them, it gives it a very rough look.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 341:

Return to some humanoid figures, one of whom is an Icarus.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 342:

Trapped in the mirror pool.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 343:

X-Wing, because I felt like drawing spaceships. Not done with reference, fairly plainly. Also looks like I forgot to erase one of the old lasers, totally missed that.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 344:

Colour of the Pinkie Pie. Colour is a bit off, and once again I probably should have dropped the lines instead of incorporating them.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 345:

Saw a particular edit of two Antiander images that really caught my eye. Tried duplicating the style, and even if I didn't really get it right, I find it a very nice and easy way to get better pony faces, since I find that area difficult. Kind of looks like a movie poster too, vaguely amusing.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 346:

I likey this method. Didn't quite get the eyes, but I think I nailed the top of the head nicely. Especially since I didn't resort to any chicken (heh) scratching on this one, all smooth curves right from the arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-07-22 at 12:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 347:

Another line pony head. Still off on the eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 348-9:

Was just a random pony, but Vinyl's hair style was the first I saw, so I decided to make it her. Realized too late I forgot a horn, guess Discord stole it or something. Kept a few of the lines, not really sure if it was a good idea.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 350:

Random doodles.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 351:

Did this one very fast, just as a test. Not bad for the time I spent on it.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 352:

Friend Celestia. Or perhaps the one from the end of FoE. Black background was an accident, not sure why the program did that. First one in a long time that I didn't do freehand, also learned somewhat how Krita's path tool works.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-07-27 at 07:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Days 353-5:

This one looks like crap, but it was an interesting experiment in blending layers, and general value painting. Maybe I'll come back and fix it up someday, definitely more to learn here.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 356:

Ice flows. Low inspiration day.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 357:

And a day short on time.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 358-60:

This one is for the Elemental week. Bit messy, but shrunk down to avvie size it should look ok. I call him Kettlehead, the copper elemental. Was originally going to be full body (walking out of water so some nice green patina around the legs) but that would be a lot of work, and would lose out on basically all the detail once it was down to 120x120 anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 361-2:

Inspired by an avatar request. Didn't really have time to do anything fancy here. Leaving to go camping for a few days, maybe I'll do some paper and pencil stuff again .
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Hah, Sean Mirrsen, this guy looks like he's seen your pictures: http://whiteboygus.deviantart.com/ar...ront-473062697
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-08-07 at 12:12 PM.