New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default When the Live Action OOTS Comes Out...

There has been a trend in movies lately to turn comics into films. It's only a matter of time until OoTS is remade as a box office blockbuster. So, when that time comes, who will be the actors who play the characters we have come to know and variously love and hate?

I'm pretty sure Roy will be played by Samuel L. Jackson, and Nale/Elan, of course, will be portrayed by the incomparable Seth Green, but I can't figure out who the rest of the cast is going to be.

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: When the Live Action OOTS Comes Out...

Don't you think there's a difference between a decade-long multi-million comic that has penetrated the international pop-culture and some overblown nerd comic on the internet?

I doubt anyone would want to finance a movie for 30+ million $ about a webcomic.

Apart from that: S. L. Jackson is getting old. He's not the young guy from the 90s anymore. I doubt he could play a 30 year old warrior. Also, Samuel is best when he scream loud a lot of profanity and threatens to **** people up. He'd suck as Roy.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

There's never going to be a live-action OOTS because they'd have to cast a gendered actor to play Vaarsuvius.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    It's only a matter of time until OoTS is remade as a box office blockbuster.
    Fifty gold says it won't.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    There's never going to be a live-action OOTS because they'd have to cast a gendered actor to play Vaarsuvius.
    Just a few weeks ago I saw not one but two people who could have filled the role...

but oots is a comedy, not action movie material.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

There has been a trend in movies lately to turn comics into films. It's only a matter of time until OoTS is remade as a box office blockbuster. So, when that time comes, who will be the actors who play the characters we have come to know and variously love and hate?

I'm pretty sure Roy will be played by Samuel L. Jackson, and Nale/Elan, of course, will be portrayed by the incomparable Seth Green, but I can't figure out who the rest of the cast is going to be.

Any ideas?
    Amazing how when it's a black character, everyone immediately says Samuel Jackson, regardless of age, personality, or ability to play that character.

Roy is 35 years younger than Samuel Jackson, who's a senior citizen born in 1948.

Samuel Jackson plays a very specific type of angry character, that isn't in any way like Roy, an idealistic leader who is simply annoyed at his partners.

And just so we don't focus just on Roy, Seth Green turns 40 next year. Elan is 21. Even with his youthful looks, he certainly can't pass for 21.

Finally, no, they are not likely to make a live action OOTS movie. There's hundreds, if not thousands, of more popular properties to buy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I do not think there will be an Oots movie for the foreseeable future. I am however interested in stories and adaptations for the screen, albeit my prime concern is not casting.

So, I will throw another question to the playground: How would you adapt the story? How much would the first movie cover? Any necessary additions or cuts? Other changes?

As said, I do not imagine any Oots script to be forthcoming, but I like the idea of imagining what that script could look like.
    Hail Ohnic, god of gamblers and involuntary wanderers!
    If you dare to risk your fortunes against the odds, if you dare to make friends or enemies on the flick of a coin, if you always look forward to what tomorrow may bring, then you are a follower of Ohnic.

"Not a problem, I pack light and talk fast!" – Minrah Elle Shaleshoe

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, if you were adamant about Samuel L. Jackson in a live action adaptation, he'd have to be Eugene.

Why not Dave Chappelle or Idris Elba for Roy? They're quite a bit closer in age to Roy, for starters.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #9

Dave Chappelle is forty, and doesn't really act in anything but bit parts. Idris is also forty. Both look even older than that. Roy is 28.

You guys know there's lots of black actors out there that are in their 20's and early 30's, right? It could even be a brand new actor just starting out in his career. This isn't exactly a role that demands an oscar winner.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2013-01-25 at 02:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Honestly, if you were adamant about Samuel L. Jackson in a live action adaptation, he'd have to be Eugene.

Why not Dave Chappelle or Idris Elba for Roy? They're quite a bit closer in age to Roy, for starters.
    Samuel L. Jackson could do Eugene (he was Mr. Glass in Unbreakable), but honestly I think he'd be better as Horace. He's got a fighter's build.

And I think Idris Elba would be way better than Dave Chappelle for Roy... Chappelle is kind of scrawny (though with old guy makeup he could be a fun Eugene), Roy would need a bigger build than that.

Also! Chord Overstreet (from Glee) as Elan/Nale, think about it... blonde pretty boy, goofy singing... he's perfect!

For V maybe Tilda Swinton?

Also any casting choices we make here will probably age out by the time any movie gets made (if at all). So really we should be naming random child actors and hope they grow up to look like the cast.

11. - Top - End - #11

I would say Matt Smith for Elan, Dule Hill or Jesse Williams for Roy, and Morgan Freeman for Eugene.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ohnic View Post
    So, I will throw another question to the playground: How would you adapt the story? How much would the first movie cover? Any necessary additions or cuts? Other changes?
    I would probably merge On the Origin of PCs and parts of Dungeon Crawling Fools as follows:

• OOPCs scenes to introduce the characters and the formation of the team.
    • Enough of the early strips to cover going through the first part of the dungeon. I'd junk the very DnD specific bits (like the original start of the story, converting between editions).
    • The Linear Guild
    • Showdown with Xycon

I think there is enough material for a decent film there, and I don't think I would add much. Most of the cuts would come from the DnD parody parts and possibly the characters being aware that they are in a story...

...Although, if done right, something like having Elan being the only person to think in terms of being in a story might work well.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I highly highly highly highly doubt this.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see the title now: "Order of the Limb"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Yes, comics. Comics that have been around for decades and almost all of which have had television show adaptations that are owned by huge comic book companies and have made millions (probably billions) from said comic before the idea to even make the film was thought of.

Not web comics that have been around for approximately ten years. You're going to have a hard time pitching this to a Hollywood studio. Heck, I think the only web comic to branch out into film/television is Axe Cop, and even that's just a fifteen minute animated television show.

Nale/Elan, of course, will be portrayed by the incomparable Seth Green
    I'm sorry, WHAT?!?!

Are, are you actually serious?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Daemon

People: Don't be so hard on a live action OOTS.

It definitely wont be coming out soon (not til at least Rich finishes, which should not be until at least 2017-18). And then it would need the studio to pick it up etc.

But I think that OOTS has a big enough appeal. It has a fanbase big enough to give the film money, a appeal and comedic style to give it high RT scores, its not so big that everyone knows of it so it still has an aura of mystery and it would have Rich's blessing as he would never let them release something bad.

It may not be for a while, but if it happens I think it will work well.

Also, cast lists are largely pointless because a live action OOTS won't happen til at least 2025. So a new bunch of 20-30 year olds will exist. Maybe some of the old characters will be played by known actors (Xykon, Shojo, Tarquin, Scribble, Anyone who needs to be voiced). But its too early to say.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    But I think that OOTS has a big enough appeal.
    I think you underestimate how much money a budget of like 50+ million USD is and overestimate the drive a website like this can have. I'm also not sure of how much of what makes OotS what it is you can put into a two-hour movie and how much that appeals to the mass-market.
    So even if you could get a movie from this franchise (let's play that thought, even if it is not realistic at all) you'd probably have to change it so much to appease the mass market to make your money back + x that you as "fan of the first hour" would have to hate it.

Even D&D cannot gross in on the name and D&D has a much bigger name and value as a subset of it (OotS). Yes, this also has to do with that movie being crap but it also has to do with the size of the base it stands on.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Elan/Nale: Neil Patrick Harris
    Haley: Emma Stone

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OOTS_Echoes View Post
    Elan/Nale: Neil Patrick Harris

I don't know. The age difference is kind of creepy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I would probably merge On the Origin of PCs and parts of Dungeon Crawling Fools as follows:

• OOPCs scenes to introduce the characters and the formation of the team.
    • Enough of the early strips to cover going through the first part of the dungeon. I'd junk the very DnD specific bits (like the original start of the story, converting between editions).
    • The Linear Guild
    • Showdown with Xycon

I think there is enough material for a decent film there, and I don't think I would add much. Most of the cuts would come from the DnD parody parts and possibly the characters being aware that they are in a story...

...Although, if done right, something like having Elan being the only person to think in terms of being in a story might work well.
    I agree this suggestion would probably work well. I would add some bits from the Start of Darkness as well, but probably only some of the Xykon bits, as to save the whole Dark One and the rift story for the inevitable sequel.

As for that sequel I would probably let it run all the way to the end of the battle for Azure city, but I might leave the escape from the city and the splitting of the party to the beginning of film three. And maybe we have not seen the end of the third film in comic yet.
    Hail Ohnic, god of gamblers and involuntary wanderers!
    If you dare to risk your fortunes against the odds, if you dare to make friends or enemies on the flick of a coin, if you always look forward to what tomorrow may bring, then you are a follower of Ohnic.

"Not a problem, I pack light and talk fast!" – Minrah Elle Shaleshoe

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"When the Live Action OOTS Comes Out"

What.

There has been a trend in movies lately to turn comics into films.
    ...You know that's Marvel, right? And a bit of DC? Those guys who've been wildly successful for a long time, and have been making shows and movies for much longer than "lately"?
    I find this wildly confusing and a little amusing. It's never going to be a blockbuster. At best, it'll be a low-budget cult classic.
    I'm pretty sure Roy will be played by Samuel L. Jackson, and Nale/Elan, of course, will be portrayed by the incomparable Seth Green
    Yeah, no. They're both much too old. And even if Seth was younger, Elan is said to be very good-looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by OOTS_Echoes View Post
    Why? What possible reason do you have for casting Emma Stone, besides red hair and beauty (Haley is made out not to be drop-dead gorgeous anyway).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-01-27 at 08:42 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #22

Am I the only one who thought OP's "only a matter of time" comment was tongue-in-cheek?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

It is possible that brian_333 is a victim of Poe's Law, but...you'd have to be way more out-there than "OotS will inevitably be made into a live-action movie!" for it to be obviously a joke.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedSorcererGirl

A cartoon would be more likely, make more sense, and be generally better for keeping the spirit of the comic. And it would be much better than most of the stupid crap that's on TV anymore.

Which makes me wonder who'd play their voices.
    Last edited by JennTora; 2013-01-27 at 10:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Icewolf View Post
    A cartoon would be more likely, make more sense, and be generally better for keeping the spirit of the comic.
    Cartoon!? How dare you utter such an idea! If it is not live-action, we don't get to see Neil Patrick Harris put on a cape and annoy Roy!
    And it would be much better than most of the stupid crap that's on TV anymore.
    Please, that's just nostalgia and bad memory forgetting the shows that you didn't watch.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-01-27 at 11:17 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #26

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Cartoon!? How dare you utter such an idea! If it is not live-action, we don't get to see Neil Patrick Harris put on a cape and annoy Roy!

Please, that's just nostalgia and bad memory forgetting the shows that you didn't watch.
    Don't know. I still like looney tunes and such even now. And I even like some of the 90's cartoons like ed eddn' eddy and billy and mandy. But adventure time is crappity crap.

And seriously, oots does not have the right spirit for live action. Ever notice how south park or family guy have never done live action movies? Ever notice how the flintstones, mario, and scooby doo movies are all terrible? Ever read tge faq about why the Giant doesn't draw oots more realistically? Seriously, it's soul is that of a webcomic, stick it in a live action body and its soul will die.
    Last edited by JennTora; 2013-01-28 at 01:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm pretty sure Roy will be played by Samuel L. Jackson,
    SJ has been my go to for any role played in any yet-unmade movie for many years (Bilbo Baggins, Anakin Skywalker, Queen Elizabeth, etc.) but sadly he's getting a bit old for the role. The actor would need to be highly physical and able to portray mentality..
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Oh, and I nominate Justin Timberlake for Belkar. ;)
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Umberhulk View Post
    SJ has been my go to for any role played in any yet-unmade movie for many years (Bilbo Baggins, Anakin Skywalker, Queen Elizabeth, etc.) but sadly he's getting a bit old for the role. The actor would need to be highly physical and able to portray mentality..
    I would pay to see Samuel L Jackson as Queen Elizabeth.
    This space intentionally left blank.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Julia Sweeny