New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Kanto: The Medic

The Bulbasaur's vines twirl around your hand, quickly grasping onto your arm. The creature looks at you, a strange gleam in its eyes.

Later....
    Oak goes to his desk, pulling out a small package.

Here. Just give it to the man at the Silph Pokemart. He'll know what to do with it.

Oak seems to be about to say something when a small yellow Pokemon darts in.

What the... That's the stolen Pikachu! Oak says, amazed. How the hell did it escape? He quickly checks it over, surprised that it wasn't injured.

Amazing! But since we don't have the Pokeball, it'll be stuck until we can recover it...

But that is none of your concern, he says, patting the little mouse. I wish you well on your journey. For years you have been a good aide, and I hope that you succeed. Here, he says, clasping your hand. It's the least I can do.

When you pull your hand away you can feel a large wad of cash in it. He winks, sending you out. As you leave, you see Gary, Oak's grandson enter.

Yo pops. What's Jolt doing out of his ball?
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Kanto: The Medic

"Wow thanks." Alexis responds to the cash gift in flat monotone. Whatever excitement, pride, surprise, fear, and anxiety she is feeling at the moment doesn't process anywhere in her appearance. "If you believe in me, erm, I'll do my best." She strains every muscle in her body to make eye contact and force a smile. It's quite a sight.

Upon hearing Gary, that annoying, loud-mouthed frat boy grandson who doesn't deserve anything his genius elder gives him, all emotion is wiped from her face. She slings the package under her arm, drops her head down, and slides past Gary as he barges into the Lab as he often does. "Eh, sorry, excuse me, Gary, hi."

The Lab door closes behind Alexis for possibly the last time. A typical trip to Viridian City normally wouldn't shake Alexis at all, after all, she has made the trip before, back when she helped her mother sell the family crops before she began her internship at Pallet Town's pokemon lab. However, being a new pokemon trainer means she's supposed to brave the wilderness all on her own. Pokemon don't grow without a challenge. Alexis unfolds her bicycle, secures the package to the front, and, slowly but surely, makes her way towards Route 1.
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-01-31 at 10:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HotRoute View Post
    "Wow thanks." Alexis responds to the cash gift in flat monotone. Whatever excitement, pride, surprise, fear, and anxiety she is feeling at the moment doesn't process anywhere in her appearance. "If you believe in me, erm, I'll do my best." She strains every muscle in her body to make eye contact and force a smile. It's quite a sight.

Upon hearing Gary, that annoying, loud-mouthed frat boy grandson who doesn't deserve anything his genius elder gives him, all emotion is wiped from her face. She slings the package under her arm, drops her head down, and slides past Gary as he barges into the Lab as he often does. "Eh, sorry, excuse me, Gary, hi."

The Lab door closes behind Alexis for possibly the last time. A typical trip to Viridian City normally wouldn't shake Alexis at all, after all, she has made the trip before, back when she helped her mother sell the family crops before she began her internship at Pallet Town's pokemon lab. However, being a new pokemon trainer means she's supposed to brave the wilderness all on her own. Pokemon don't grow without a challenge. Alexis unfolds her bicycle, secures the package to the front, and, slowly but surely, makes her way towards Route 1.
    Gary winks at you as you pass. That pervert.

When you near the gate for Route 1, the guards wave you through. While they seem cautious to let a young woman such as yourself leave without protection, they must have been talked to be Oak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception and Athletics.

Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Alexis is already tired just making it to the city gates. Why am I doing this again...? She puffs and pants her way to the edge of the gates when a wavering thought lingers into her mind. What am I doing? I haven't prepared at all. I have this pokemon with me. I need to take care of this. It's my lifeblood. A bulbasaur is mainly an herbivore, but I'm sure I can find proper dietary supplements here before I leave Pallet Town. Professor Oak gave me this money for a reason. I might as well spend it.

Before she leaves town, Alexis was sure to fill her First Aid Kit at the Lab with 2 Revives, 2 Bandages, and 1 Potion. She visits Alfred's Bakery and spends $50 on ten meals of PokeFood. She also purchases 1 candy bar and 3 loaves of bread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry!
    Perception check was 10, Athletics was 2. Awesome.
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-02-01 at 01:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

As you ride, barely keeping your balance, taking almost three hours to reach the midway mark, you see a treebranch in the road from about fifty yards out and slow accordingly. Up ahead there seems to be a man on the ground, bike knocked away from him. He must not have seen the branch until it was too late. Two large rats are advancing on him. They don't seem to have noticed you.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have been added to the battlemap. You are slower than Anonyman and the Rattata.

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The man springs up, hopping on his bike. He furiously pedals away. The rats give chase, but can't keep up with him.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The large man from earlier, Dominic? flies past you on his bike, hits the same tree branch, and flips through the air a few times before coming to a stop, hitting the ground hard.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    adsfahgsagafdsf

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Alexis continues north. When she reaches the Pokemon Center, she asks the medic on staff if she knows which pokemon exist in the areas around Viridian City. After, she asks for a place to sleep for the night.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis continues north. When she reaches the Pokemon Center, she asks the medic on staff if she knows which pokemon exist in the areas around Viridian City. After, she asks for a place to sleep for the night.
    The nurse replies that she only really knows that there are a lot of Weedle to the north; she suggests asking a guard.

As for pricing, you can get a room for the night for ^50.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

"Hmph," Alexis mumbles with a sneer, "Figured a nurse should know the area's pokemon... dealing with the injuries they impact on trainers and all..." Alexis shrugs off the disappointment and hands her ^50. "I'll take the room at least."

Spoiler
    Show
    Time-skipping to move things along. If anything of interest happens between here and arriving in my room, I'll scrub everything beneath this.

When Alexis arrives in her room, she takes care to lock the doors and windows before getting comfortable. Or as comfortable as I can get in a place like this. She places her pokeball on the bed, goes into the bathroom, and redresses her wound. It hasn't gotten much better at all since she's put it on; cycling for four hours will do that to you. But at least it hasn't gotten worse. Alexis estimates she will be healthy by morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    "redresses wound." I'm not actually using another bandage. Just fluff.

Alexis sits down cross-legged on the bed, breaking off small pieces of a candy bar before eating them. She stares intensely at the pokeball. So much has happened today... earlier this morning you were a subject in the lab. Now... well you're the only thing separating me from death, that's one thing... Well, I mean, I wouldn't have put myself at risk if it weren't for you... She takes a bite of the chocolate bar. After tasting nothing but sweat since midday, to say it tastes good would be a major understatement. Well... You wouldn't be at risk if it weren't for me, either, right? Alexis leans forward, takes a breath, and taps the button to release her Bulbasaur from its pokeball.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmph," Alexis mumbles with a sneer, "Figured a nurse should know the area's pokemon... dealing with the injuries they impact on trainers and all..." Alexis shrugs off the disappointment and hands her ^50. "I'll take the room at least."

Spoiler
    Show
    Time-skipping to move things along. If anything of interest happens between here and arriving in my room, I'll scrub everything beneath this.

When Alexis arrives in her room, she takes care to lock the doors and windows before getting comfortable. Or as comfortable as I can get in a place like this. She places her pokeball on the bed, goes into the bathroom, and redresses her wound. It hasn't gotten much better at all since she's put it on; cycling for four hours will do that to you. But at least it hasn't gotten worse. Alexis estimates she will be healthy by morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    "redresses wound." I'm not actually using another bandage. Just fluff.

Alexis sits down cross-legged on the bed, breaking off small pieces of a candy bar before eating them. She stares intensely at the pokeball. So much has happened today... earlier this morning you were a subject in the lab. Now... well you're the only thing separating me from death, that's one thing... Well, I mean, I wouldn't have put myself at risk if it weren't for you... She takes a bite of the chocolate bar. After tasting nothing but sweat since midday, to say it tastes good would be a major understatement. Well... You wouldn't be at risk if it weren't for me, either, right? Alexis leans forward, takes a breath, and taps the button to release her Bulbasaur from its pokeball.
    As you release the Pokemon, the same little Pokemon appears out of the Pokeball. There is a marked change though; the once calm, happy face is glaring at you in hatred.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Alexis frowns. "You should be mad at me. I messed up royally today. I almost got the both of us killed." Alexis leans over the side of her bed, reaches into her bag, and pulls out a handful of PokeFood. "I guess this is all I can offer you. Sorry there isn't more, the Rattatas got a lot of it..."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis frowns. "You should be mad at me. I messed up royally today. I almost got the both of us killed." Alexis leans over the side of her bed, reaches into her bag, and pulls out a handful of PokeFood. "I guess this is all I can offer you. Sorry there isn't more, the Rattatas got a lot of it..."
    The Bulbasaur's vines shoot out, grabbing the food. It goes to sit in the corner, munching on its food, occasionally shooting an angry glance your way.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Alexis sighs and flops down on her bed starring up at the ceiling. "I'm sorry, Bulbasaur. Not that I got you almost killed... I mean I am, but I'm sorry for having you at all. I'm not a Pokemon trainer. I'm a researcher. A student and nothing more. I had you forced upon me by a foolishly-optimistic old man. You should have gone to someone stronger, more ready for the challenge." She holds the candy bar in front of her face and has sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. She tosses it on the ground next to her pokemon. "Here, you deserve this, Bulbasaur, not me... Bulbasaur -" she crawls to the front of the bed, closer to her pokemon, with a sudden spring in her voice, "Do you like being called 'Bulbasaur?' No, right?" Dominic named his Squirtle Nepto, and he seemed to like him well-enough. If I want a relationship like that, I need to treat my Bulbasaur more like a partner and less like a tool. "Well, Bulbasaur, you're my first pokemon," at this pace, if I get any more it'd be a miracle, "and you're the first pokemon in the National Pokedex. How 'bout I call you Alpha?" Alexis inches closer to the pokemon. "It also means 'the strongest' and 'the best.' I've seen Professor Oak give away plenty of other Bulbasaur, and I know you have the potential to be the best. I'll work my hardest to help you live up to that name. If you'll let me." She sits eagerly at the foot of her bed. "Do you like that name, Alpha?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis sighs and flops down on her bed starring up at the ceiling. "I'm sorry, Bulbasaur. Not that I got you almost killed... I mean I am, but I'm sorry for having you at all. I'm not a Pokemon trainer. I'm a researcher. A student and nothing more. I had you forced upon me by a foolishly-optimistic old man. You should have gone to someone stronger, more ready for the challenge." She holds the candy bar in front of her face and has sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. She tosses it on the ground next to her pokemon. "Here, you deserve this, Bulbasaur, not me... Bulbasaur -" she crawls to the front of the bed, closer to her pokemon, with a sudden spring in her voice, "Do you like being called 'Bulbasaur?' No, right?" Dominic named his Squirtle Nepto, and he seemed to like him well-enough. If I want a relationship like that, I need to treat my Bulbasaur more like a partner and less like a tool. "Well, Bulbasaur, you're my first pokemon," at this pace, if I get any more it'd be a miracle, "and you're the first pokemon in the National Pokedex. How 'bout I call you Alpha?" Alexis inches closer to the pokemon. "It also means 'the strongest' and 'the best.' I've seen Professor Oak give away plenty of other Bulbasaur, and I know you have the potential to be the best. I'll work my hardest to help you live up to that name. If you'll let me." She sits eagerly at the foot of her bed. "Do you like that name, Alpha?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick note: No "National" Pokedex. You guys have the first ones.

The Bulbasuar hastily grabs the candy bar, devouring it almost instantly.

It growls slightly as you approach, but does not move to attack. It listens to your speech, the hatred slowly fading away. By the end the hatred is completely gone. While it still obviously disproves of having you as a trainer, it doesn't seem to hate you.

It gives a slight nod as assign its name.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Alexis tries to smile, but Alpha's response isn't the instant turn-around she thought it would be. I shouldn't have expected a pokemon to have such a fast change of heart. It's smarter than an animal, its heart can't be won back so simply. "Hmph. Well eat up, Alpha. I don't know what tomorrow has in store, but I'm sure we'll need our energy." Before she crawls into bed, lingering doubt forces Alexis to investigate the room. After a day like today, Alpha would be wise to kick rocks as soon she could. The new trainer checks the door and window and makes sure each is locked and securely safe from any attempt to escape Alpha might make. Once she feels comfortable, she shuts the light off and gets back into bed. "Well, good night, Alpha." Before she goes to sleep, she has another thought. Alexis takes the spare blanket and drapes it over her pokemon. "Tomorrow will be better. I promise." I hope. As soon as her head hits the pillow, she finally finds sleep after the longest day of her life.
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-02-06 at 08:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis tries to smile, but Alpha's response isn't the instant turn-around she thought it would be. I shouldn't have expected a pokemon to have such a fast change of heart. It's smarter than an animal, its heart can't be won back so simply. "Hmph. Well eat up, Alpha. I don't know what tomorrow has in store, but I'm sure we'll need our energy." Before she crawls into bed, lingering doubt forces Alexis to investigate the room. After a day like today, Alpha would be wise to kick rocks as soon she could. The new trainer checks the door and window and makes sure each is locked and securely safe from any attempt to escape Alpha might make. Once she feels comfortable, she shuts the light off and gets back into bed. "Well, good night, Alpha." Before she goes to sleep, she has another thought. Alexis takes the spare blanket and drapes it over her pokemon. "Tomorrow will be better. I promise." I hope. As soon as her head hits the pillow, she finally finds sleep after the longest day of her life.

(Time skip if all goes as expected)

When morning comes, Alexis is quick to rise and check on Alpha. "Good morning Alpha. It's tomorrow. Let's go get some sun, shall we?" She lowers a pokeball to the Bulbasaur's face. "I'm going to have to put you back in here, sorry," she explains, "once we get back outside, I'll let you back out." With that, she presses the recall button on the pokeball, and Alpha is absorbed into a beam of red light.

Alexis walks back downstairs to the PokeCenter lobby and looks for food available. She'll need more than bread to make it through the wilderness full of deadly pokemon.
    All seems well when you awake. Well, all but one small detail. Alpha isn't there anymore. The door is cracked open slightly.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

"Muk." Alexis darts out of bed, scrambles to grab her pokeball, bag, and room key, and flies out of the room as fast as she can. Upon leaving, however, she takes a second to check if the door was forced open from the inside, by Alpha, forced open from the outside, or simply opened by turning the knob. "Muk muk muk muk" When she arrives in the lobby, she shouts as loud as she can muster, "Help! Has anyone seen a Bulbasaur!" If no one responds, she runs up to the nurse and asks, "You! You've been working all night! Or you talked to someone who has, have you seen a Bulbasaur!?"
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-02-06 at 08:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Muk." Alexis darts out of bed, scrambles to grab her pokeball, bag, and room key, and flies out of the room as fast as she can. Upon leaving, however, she takes a second to check if the door was forced open from the inside, by Alpha, forced open from the outside, or simply opened by turning the knob. "Muk muk muk muk" When she arrives in the lobby, she shouts as loud as she can muster, "Help! Has anyone seen a Bulbasaur!" If no one responds, she runs up to the nurse and asks, "You! You've been working all night! Or you talked to someone who has, have you seen a Bulbasaur!?"
    A guard points you outside.

"It went out there about an hour ago. I have a few guards looking at it. Is it yours? You might want to return it."

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

A wave of relief washes over Alexis. "Um, this is really embarrassing. Sorry." She walks outside to find her pokemon and the guards. That damn pokemon and its prehensile vines...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

A wave of relief washes over Alexis. "Um, this is really embarrassing. Sorry." She walks outside to find her pokemon and the guards. That damn pokemon and its prehensile vines...
    You go outside to see Alpha sitting contentedly outdoors, a guard a few feet away, keeping a close eye on it. It seems to simply be feeding; its bulb is glowing slightly green.

"Hey kid," he asks, looking at you. "This your Pokemon? Should keep a better eye on it."

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

"Um, I was, eh, what I was trying to do was," the girl growls in frustration. "Alpha, what are you doing!?" She kneels down next to the pokemon, takes a deep breath, and does her best to study the situation.

"You're...photosynthesizing, aren't you? I should have known a candy bar was a stupid idea for a plant-type pokemon. You were hungry, so you left, using your vines to open the door... you're so much smarter than I took you for."

"Um, officer," she asks, looking back up at the man who looked after her Bulbasaur while she slept, "would it be okay if I watched over her here for a little while? She's feeding right now, although it may not look like it."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, I was, eh, what I was trying to do was," the girl growls in frustration. "Alpha, what are you doing!?" She kneels down next to the pokemon, takes a deep breath, and does her best to study the situation.

"You're...photosynthesizing, aren't you? I should have known a candy bar was a stupid idea for a plant-type pokemon. You were hungry, so you left, using your vines to open the door... you're so much smarter than I took you for."

"Um, officer," she asks, looking back up at the man who looked after her Bulbasaur while she slept, "would it be okay if I watched over her here for a little while? She's feeding right now, although it may not look like it."
    "That's fine," the guard says. "We just tend to get worried with unsupervised Pokemon. Don't let it happen again, alright? Some guards are quicker to attack than I am."

Alpha nods, obviously a little pleased that your understood its purpose as well as you acknowledging its intelligence.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Again, Alexis sighs in relief. That's nice, not everything is a colossal problem. "Thanks," she whispers. "Oh, sir, while you're here," she asks, pulling a pencil and notepad out of her bag, "I, uh, was told you'd know what pokemon are in the areas around here. So, um..." she taps the pencil against the pad, staring in anticipation of a response.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Again, Alexis sighs in relief. That's nice, not everything is a colossal problem. "Thanks," she whispers. "Oh, sir, while you're here," she asks, pulling a pencil and notepad out of her bag, "I, uh, was told you'd know what pokemon are in the areas around here. So, um..." she taps the pencil against the pad, staring in anticipation of a response.
    "Oh, yeah," the guard says, seemingly happy to help.

"Down south you have the standard fare. Pidgey, Rattata, occasionally one of their evolved forms. To the north you have almost exclusively Weedle once you hit Viridian Forest. I wouldn't head that way. Finally, to the east there are large numbers of Mankey. Spearow are on the higher crags, and there are a few small packs of the Nidoran lines as well. That's about it, besides the occasional packs of other Pokemon."

"Oh, also, could you do me a favor? If you see a man in dark clothes that is slightly burnt, could you tell a guard? He's wanted for investigation involved in the burning of a farm."

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Alexis eagerly scribbles down notes, "mhm"-ing as she goes. "Okay, great, uh, thank you." She turns to her pokemon. "Okay Alpha, once you're done charging up we've got a lot to do today."

She raises an eyebrow at the guard after his strange request. "A... 'slightly burnt' man? I guess that would be your suspect for an arson case..." her heart skips a beat. "Wait, what farm??
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-02-06 at 11:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Alexis eagerly scribbles down notes, "mhm"-ing as she goes. "Okay, great, uh, thank you." She turns to her pokemon. "Okay Alpha, once you're done charging up we've got a lot to do today."

She raises an eyebrow at the guard after his strange request. "A... 'slightly burnt' man? I guess that would be your suspect for an arson case..." her heart skips a beat. "Wait, what farm??
    "Some lunatic set fire to one of the farms outside town. Somehow he slipped back over the wall and back into town. We haven't found him yet. Clothes burnt, probably some burns elsewhere as well. It'll hurt the towns food supply, that's for sure. Find a group, head up to Pewter. If things keep up like this, a meal will cost more than a Pokeball soon."

After about another half hour, Alpha shakes her head, prodding your leg with her head. She seems to be done.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

"Hm. Okay, I'll keep a look out." Alexis nods to the man as he leaves.

Alexis barely notices Alpha's nudge. For the past half-hour, her head has been buried in her notepad, glancing back occasionally at her pokedex. She would mutter a few random words, with the area's pokemon mixed in, scribble, erase, mutter some more, and repeat. "...Tail Whip attack... feather, flying... Mankey... defense... bring in a... Weedle... no no no..."

During her note-taking, the avid student utilized the pokedex given to her by Professor Oak to search for data on each pokemon described to her by the guard. She paid careful attention to the pokemon's typing, and which species would be the safest battle for her grass- and poison-type Bulbasaur. If I'm going to go to Pewter, I'll need something capable of taking down hordes of Weedles. She shivers.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. Okay, I'll keep a look out." Alexis nods to the man as he leaves.

Alexis barely notices Alpha's nudge. For the past half-hour, her head has been buried in her notepad, glancing back occasionally at her pokedex. She would mutter a few random words, with the area's pokemon mixed in, scribble, erase, mutter some more, and repeat. "...Tail Whip attack... feather, flying... Mankey... defense... bring in a... Weedle... no no no..."

During her note-taking, the avid student utilized the pokedex given to her by Professor Oak to search for data on each pokemon described to her by the guard. She paid careful attention to the pokemon's typing, and which species would be the safest battle for her grass- and poison-type Bulbasaur. If I'm going to go to Pewter, I'll need something capable of taking down hordes of Weedles. She shivers.
    While studying, you soon find easy information. The Pokemon that will likely be the easiest battles are female Nidoran and Mankey; Alpha naturally resists those. Male Nidoran carry Peck, a move that uses Flying Pakrian, which would not only make them resistant to Vine Whip but also extremely strong against Alpha. Pidgey and Spearow would both be a boon against a Weedle, but once again they would be hard to battle. Rattata are a mid ground; neither strong nor weak against.

Show