New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [PF] A Knife in the Dark, revisited IC

The heroes-to-be had had fun that night. Oh yes. They had been in the inn, having a drink, and a laugh, and so on. Then, the suggestion was made that they would go to the academy. I don't recall which one. Since this sounded like a good idea, several people decided to do it. And so, an impromptu party was formed.

The following morning, it still sounded like a good idea. And things which sound like good ideas, whether you're drunk or not, are - in my experience - generally good ideas.

There are five of them. They all went to the same room, although it only had three beds. There's a big enough floor in these rooms, and the beds are big enough to share. However they sorted it out, they sorted it out. I don't really want to know.

They came down the stairs that morning after everyone else was already up. Some heroes, eh? Well, there they were, looking ready to fight anything. Too bad that I could have killed the lot of them where they stood, but... you learn quickly in the city of Gal-Elynia.

I sat grimly, looking around at the room. A couple of dwarves sat playing Grimnor's War on one of the tables, and a few humans moseyed around, but the adventurers-to-be were the main focus of the room. Even I was largely ignored, truth be told. I guess that being a dragon disciple doesn't get you the same funny looks in Gal-Elynia that you get everywhere else.

-From "A Knife in the Dark" by Pedro Diablo-Ignacio, Ambassador from Khazor to Gal-Elynia.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] A Knife in the Dark, revisited IC

Ayako gathers her gear from the room upstairs, heaping some of the heavier items on her Eidolon.

"Mistress... is all this really necessary for adventuring?" Rei says.

"Of course it is! How would I stay so radiant without my portable bathtub? Or the soap!? And I can't drink just any water, I have to have my tea..." Ayako replies.

"Of course mistress." Rei says sourly.

The two head down to meet the others.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Jorna glances at the fox-woman and her heavily laden companion as they arrive. She rolls her eyes briefly at the extravagance of city folk before returning her gaze the rest of the group gathered round the table.
    "Now that we're all here," she says, "I've a question. Where do we find the Academy? This city's a maze."
    Last edited by AquilaRift; 2013-02-13 at 04:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Avari shrugged. Until last night, the idea of actually joining a guild had been a dream more than anything - she certainly hadn't given it much actual planning. Petty theft had been enough to get by.

"Beats me. Haven't been here long enough to know it properly."
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose we'll just have to ask for directions, hrm?" Ayako looks around the room for someone who might be helpful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Perception I guess? (1d20)[3]
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Serena chuckles at Jorna's reaction to the overburdened outsider. At the half-orc's inquiry she says "I have no idea, personally, I haven't been in this city long, see this is why it's a good thing we waited till morning." Serena then looks around to see If anyone might be able to offer directions.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception

(1d20+2)[7]

7. - Top - End - #7

Avari glances around the room too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d120+6)[70]

EDIT: Oops. 1d20, not 1d120.
    Last edited by Mekboy; 2013-02-13 at 05:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The wizened dwarf sits in his chair like a boulder. Boulder meaning with heavy weight, but also a sense of timelessness. He'll allow his new mates to find the next path, while he calmly smokes his pipe.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedSorcererGirl

"Well, one of us is going to have to actually ask someone instead of staring at everyone in the room," says Serena, and walking up to one of the moseying humans, says "Hello, this is a bit embarrassing, but my new friends and I decided last night on a drunken whim to join the academy here, trouble is, none of us actually know where it is, would you happen to know who might?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: [roll0]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The strange thing about this adventuring party was that not a single one of them seemed to know where the academy was. One, at least, showed the initiative to ask one of the humans. The response was simple: "I know where it is. I'm going near there anyway, so you can tag along and I'll point it out. We can go now, if you're ready?"

I sighed, and leaned back. I was prepared for their departure. Anyone who would write a book must know about the main characters, after all. I readied my new spell, and waited.

-From "A Knife in the Dark" by Pedro Diablo-Ignacio, Ambassador from Khazor to Gal-Elynia.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Most excellent, that would be perfect. Unless anyone else has business to conclude I should think we're ready to go." Ayako looks around to the rest of the group to make sure everyone is ready.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kyligan snorts up some mucus, and yawns.

"Aye, lez git a move-on. Times a waistin' and I ain't drinkin'."

He pats his metal armor, picks up his hammer, and slings his bag and shield over his shoulder while rising. The weight being lifted from the chair makes it creek with relief.

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

Jorna rises without a word to follow their new guide. (She makes sure she's walking behind the stranger at all times.)

14. - Top - End - #14

Taking a moment to assess their guide, Avari followed with the group.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

The group prepared to leave, and I worked my magic. Swiftly and silently, I gained sight of all that they could see, could hear all that they could, and feel under their fingers. Rest assured, however, that I did not use such powerful magics for any inappropriate purposes.

The group left, and I watched through the summoner's eyes as the group progressed towards the academy, with their guide leaving them soon before. As they entered, they saw before them an old man and a young, impetuous sorcerer. I remembered that this younger man had been there earlier, and had disappeared a few minutes before the adventurers had, just as they were coming down the stairs.

The other was the master of the academy. I recognised him, of course - almost everyone in Gal-Elynia knew almost everything about the guild. "Welcome," he said, "To the Gal-Elynia academy of adventurers. Are you wishing to join?"

Last edited by Jormengand; 2013-02-14 at 02:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedSorcererGirl

"Yes, that's why we're here, I am Serena," says Serena and gestures to everyone else to introduce themselves as well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayako curtseys, "I'm Ayako Moriyami, and this is my Eidolon, Rei.", she gestures to the overburdened Eidolon, who peaks from behind a corner of the luggage.

"Hello."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kyligan's booming voice bursts out, "I am Kyligan: Cleric of Torag. Spreading the faith with my sacred hammer." He lifts his hammer into the air as he speaks.

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomePirate

"Jorna," the druid says, nodding. She is not one for formalities.

20. - Top - End - #20

Taking a moment to examine the master, Avari introduced herself with a slight nod. "Avari Nul."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

The party introduced themselves. Serena, Ayako and Rei, Kyligan, Jorna and Avari. The guildmaster smiled at them. "I am Karl Azlathor, master of the academy. This man here," he said, gesturing at the sorcerer beside him, "Is Arcanus Zephyrus Mecharius. A slightly unwieldy name, but he serves just as well for it."

Arcanus crossed his arms disdainfully. Karl smiled, and continued. "To join the academy, you must first undertake a quest to prove your worth. No epic journey, mind, but certainly a challenge worthy of your skill. Arc?"

The sorcerer sighed. "Pretty much, there were some zombies hiding in a cave a while back. They weren't doing anything, but recently they've been attacking stuff. No-one's dead yet, though. Still, it's been decided that someone should go and kill'em. So, I'm taking you to kill'em. I pretty much won't be fighting them myself, but I'll step in if you start getting yourselves killed. That seem fair?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quest complete: Academy of Gal-Elynia.
    You have aquired a quest: Dead alert.

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomePirate

Jorna nods her assent.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kyligan laughs heartedly, "At last! It's time we be tasked to kill some undead. That's what tha Hammer of Torag does best!"

Kyligan grips his hammer with both hands. He tightens and loosens his grip while looking off in the distance. His eyes glint as he smiles.
    Last edited by leFuZz; 2013-02-15 at 03:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedSorcererGirl

""Sounds fair enough to me, sure," Serena says.

25. - Top - End - #25

Mind on business, Avari nodded again. "Any more information? Any known reason for them to be there? Rough estimates on numbers? Wouldn't want any nasty surprises."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

The team made clear their assent, although one asked for more details. Arcanus supplied them. "There are three zombies, it is believed. They make camp just west of the city. They are there because of some foolish necromancer who wanted an undead army... it didn't really work. Now, are we ready to go?"

27. - Top - End - #27

"How far? I may need to acquire some supplies if it's more than a day's travel." Up until now, she had been lodging in the city.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am ready of course. Though, my eidolon might be relieved if we could fetch my horse on the way out of town?" Ayako points to Rei.

"Yes, please. I am not a packmule after all and..." Rei is cut off as she's about to gripe further.

"So then, we'll get the horse and be off, how's that sound?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy in case it's needed - (1d20+9)[27]
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

RedSorcererGirl

Serena busts out laughing at Rei's comment,"I WAS wondering if you were some rare bipedal talking breed," Serena laughed to the overloaded outsider, unable to stay quiet in regards to the amusing sight any longer "no offense intended to either of you, of course."

"Either way I have a donkey I need to get as well."Serena says, slightly embarrassed at her outburst.
    Last edited by JennTora; 2013-02-15 at 05:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

"All I need, I carry on my back. I'll wait."