New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Need help with creating character

So im playing for the first time and have read the 3.5 manual and watched many videos but still am really confused about a number of things on filling out charecter sheet.I want a half elf bard. So I got the easy stuff done like name, age, picture,ect. Then I rolled and selected where to put everything. Since I want a bard I put the highest number in dexterity. Things auto filled in at that point because I used www.myth-weavers.com so now what? Where do I get the rest of the info from? how do I select the items that my char carries? This is what i got so far http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=574564

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Need help with creating character

You still need to fill in base save bonus (+0 Fortitude, +2 Reflex, +2 Will) for a first-level bard.

You still need to mark which skills are class skills, and which skills are not, on the second sheet. If you look at the Mythweavers sheet, you see a column of checkboxes headed by 'CC'. In the Player's Handbook, there is a similar list in the Skills chapter, you can use that for reference.

Then, you need to spend your skill points. As spellcaster, you will want Concentration, and bards practically need Perform. Diplomacy is a classic bard choice, as well.

You still need to mark how many spells you know (at level 1, this is 4 0th-level spells), and which ones, on the third sheet. You also need to mark how many you can cast per day (2 0th-level spells). Don't forget to note the bonus spells you get to cast each day, for having 14 Charisma (none, for 0th-level spells, but this becomes important later).

Remember to mark down feats, languages, and half-elf abilities.

Equipment is handled in chapter 7. Generally, you get a budget (for bards, this is 4d4 * 10 gp, or 100 gp average), and you can 'buy' starting items for the listed prices. For a bard, you could buy a longsword (15 gp), a shortbow (30 gp + 1 gp for 20 arrows), studded leather armour (25 gp), and a mule (8 gp, it carries loot, or prisoners, or yourself), then spend 21 gp on supplies (bring items with multiple uses - 10' poles, rope, etcetera). Update your base attacks and AC, on the first sheet, and enter armour check penalty and maximum dexterity bonus.

Remember that you are using your longsword two-handed. With 12 strength, this won't make a difference, but at 14 strength, it does.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-09-30 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

You will also need a feat. There is actually a bunch of stuff to do yet, but focus on skills and feats right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW The first 3.5 character I played was a Bard. He didn't have concentration but he did have Tumble. It was never an issue, but he never cast spells in combat.

There are a number of Handbooks which cover the basics. E.g. this.
    Last edited by nedz; 2015-09-30 at 03:19 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you're playing with real life people rather than online, it would probably be best to have one of the more experienced players, or better yet, the DM, go over the character creation rules with you as you make your character. Having someone there explaining every question you have as you ask it is infinitely better than asking about it on a forum online. If you're playing in an online game, perhaps see if you can do something similar over a voice chat program, like skype, with your DM, or at least something real time, like facebook chat, or gtalk. Forums are not a great place to have consistent, back and forth conversations, simply by their asynchronous nature.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.