New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Eyes of the Lich Queen IC II

By some miracle, Shard's chiming goes, for once, unheard, and as Grimmgang throws open the door, the two guards outside whirl in unison, both of them raising spiked shields in surprise as their hands reach down to their belts - but for that one crucial instant, the sheer absurdity of the present situation causes them to pause.

Spoiler
    Show
    IC I

Sheets, for quick reference:
    Daiya Milkeye
    Xaxhan
    Grimmgang Thunderbreaker
    Shard

Party gets a surprise round.

Last edited by Sallera; 2016-02-29 at 04:55 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC II

Xaxhan exits the crate, nods to Grimmgang, and stands fast while the door is thrown open. There is a brief beat as the guards stand stupefied, and then Xaxhan snaps into action.

"You there! Which of you is Bruennen?" The bard scowls at the dwarves each in turn before continuing, "No matter. I am here with the House Deneith contingency to see about a particular pair of prisoners, Jukkeam and Thraxis. I've been told that they're being kept below, mining." He pauses again, assuming his words will take effect. "You have been informed about this, haven't you? Devourer below, you Manticores are even worse than my Chimera commanders." Xaxhan shakes his head toward Daiya and shrugs his arms wide, making sure that the Dragonmark climbing up his throat his easily seen. "Time is of the essence here, lads, and my superiors have shed a great deal of sweat to arrange this exchange, so can you simply direct us to where we need to bloody well go?"

Spoiler
    Show
    BLUFF CHECK! (1d20+15)[29] If you think Diplomacy is needed, let me know and I'll roll OOC. I figure I'll try this first before dropping Charm Person.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Xaxhan trying for a ruse, Daiya quickly responds in kind, assuming a posture that indicates she is a guard for him, sword ready, and mentally prepares herself to take down either guard quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another bluff bluff bluff the stupid guards...
    (1d20+2)[14]

Re-readying my action from last thread: Hold Person on the first hostile Kundarak (these guys are looking like that yes?). If they look like Cloudreavers, then replace Hold Person with Enervation.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Deneith and Claw in the pantry, now there's a story for you." Neither of the dwarves relaxes in the slightest, one of them reaching for a whistle. "Weapons on the floor, boys, girls, and aberrant stained-glass windows. Figlamn will want to have a chat with you about those prisoners."

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're not being particularly subtle about it, but you can tell they're not expecting the visit to go over well with 'Figlamn' even if you comply.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-02-19 at 04:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Was that the pantry?" Xaxhan asks Grimmgang. "That's the last time I ever take directions from a walking piece of jewelry. I'm sure we can sort this all out, lads, just..." he continues, before abruptly casting Glitterdust at the two dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies, guys. It didn't work out as well as I anticipated. I still think it was pretty funny. DC 17 Will vs. Glitterdust.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Why did I even pause to see if this ridiculous ruse works", Grimmgang groaned before trying to force his way past the two dwarves, but they stood too resolutely to get past so he fell back. Drasil meanwhile jumped on one of them, biting into his sleeve before he could use the whistle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Failed tumble, move to F5

Drasil steps to E3 and attempts a grapple
    Touch - (1d20+6)[16]
    Grapple - (1d20+1)[4]
    nonlethal - (1d2+2)[4]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"I almost could've believed him myself for a bit there."

Daiya lends her aide this time by trying to magically bind the dwarf that Drasil isn't attacking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hold Person, DC 17 Will on the Dwarf that Drasil isn't engaging.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Shard clanked and chimed forward, hopping through space to cut away at the whistle of the Kundarak guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey Sal, I forgot to mention in my last post about buffs that Shard had cast Longstrider. It has hours duration...I had marked it off as cast on my sheet but forgot to list it...ok to have it active?

For my action I am moving forward 10-15 feet (depending on the arrangement, I'm not sure which square everyone is in), so I can D-Hop 10 feet to E1.

You wrote that he was reaching for the whistle, but I am taking that to mean it is not yet in his hand and he is flat-footed so I cam going with the "grabbing an item" rule. It says it only needs to be an unarmed attack if you want it to end up in your hand so I take that to mean I can cut away at it with my phone. Also as a surprise round I think these guys should still be flat-footed so they shouldn't get AoO.

I am including the bonus for "easy to cut away." If you rule this doesn't apply just subtract 4 from the roll...

Disarm: (1d20+13)[14]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The guards close their eyes in unison as Xaxhan's spell strikes, holding up warding shields, but one is distracted by Daiya's attempt to snare him, and although he does not stop moving, only the other's eyes are clear when they open again. Drasil latches onto chain, unable to get a solid grip on the fine links, and the dwarf shrugs her off.

Undeterred by his sudden blindness, the affected guard draws his axe and strikes forward at Shard. The other backs off a step, placing the whistle to his lips and blowing a shrill signal before taking a large bag into hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    B2's blinded.

Attack on Shard: (1d20+7)[23] 22
    Damage: (1d10+2)[5]
    Concealment (miss on 1): (1d4)[2]

Last edited by Sallera; 2013-02-21 at 11:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"It would have worked if we weren't in the pantry," Xaxhan grumbled as he drew his mandolin. He strummed a quick adagio, speeding his allies' weaponry as they sought to bludgeon the dwarves into unconsciousness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: draw mandolin. Swift: cast Inspirational Boost. Standard: IC. I'm disinclined to use the Badge of Valor at the moment; two guards seems too easy and a bit of a waste. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed I wasted a second level spell on them, but that was because I screwed up with my bluff attempt. Anyway, +3/+3 for everyone.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"It isn't as though the fact that we were in the pantry was a new development though." Daiya's sword is out as she advances, slapping at the guard with the whistle using the flat of the blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble check to avoid AoO from B1 as I move to C1.
    (1d20+9)[24]
    Attack Nonlethal with flanking
    (1d20+10)[27]
    Miss chance because I'm blindfolded.
    (2d4)[3] Miss on 2
    Damage nonlethal if hit.
    (1d10+5)[8]
    Not releasing stored spell just now.

EDIT: I forgot to include IC, so +3 on the attack and damage.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2013-02-22 at 02:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring the banter of the others, Grimmgang pushed past the two guards and swung his sap at the back of the head of the blinded one, followed by an elbow to the neck. Drasil, seeing she can't overcome the superior bulk of the dwarf, instead snapped at the whistle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble to F1 (1d20+15)[30]

Wolf Fang Strike
    Sap - (1d20+12)[25] Nonlethal - (1d6+6)[12] Skirmish - (2d6)[12]
    Unarmed - (1d20+12)[25] Nonlethal - (1d3+4)[5] Skirmish - (2d6)[7]

Drasil
    (1d20+11)[15] (1d6+8)[13]
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The Kundarak's blow glanced harmlessly off of Shard's grimacing shield which floated expertly into place. Not expecting such a tactic left the guard well positioned as Shard's massive blade came down with it's broad flat side right on the dwarf's dome.

Spoiler
    Show

IGG Active.

Swift: Law Devotion (+3) 10 rounds
    Free: Charge Weapon
    Standard: Vanguard Strike: (1d20+11)[30]
    Damage: (4d6+7)[19] Nonlethal

If it hits Drasil or whomever gets +4 to attack B2 next round.

AC 26/28

(1d5)[5] Crusader's Strike
    (1d4)[3] Stone Bones
    (1d3)[1] Vanguard Strike
    (1d2)[2] Mountain Hammer
    Shield Block

Last edited by TekHed; 2013-02-24 at 10:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang and Shard knock the blinded guard senseless, although he does his best to avoid the blows. Drasil warily snaps at the whistle, but the shield knocks her jaws out of the way, and the dwarf attempts to bludgeon Daiya as she passes, taking the flat of her blade to the head for his trouble.

Continuing his fighting retreat down the corridor, he sounds the whistle again and tosses the bag, which bursts open in a shower of adhesive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daiya needs to move at full speed to reach that square, so the Tumble check failed.

AoO on Daiya: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

Ranged touch on Daiya: (1d20+4)[21]
    On hit, DC15 Reflex or be immobilized. Standard tanglefoot bag.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Shard moved down the corridor, then flashed through space in a burst of light to cut off the sentry's retreat.

Spoiler
    Show

Move 10 feet, Swift D-Hop to B2, smack B1

Mountain Hammer: (1d20+11)[22]
    (2d6+7)[13]+(2d6)[6] Nonlethal.

AC 26/28

(1d4)[3] Stone Bones
    (1d3)[1] Vanguard Strike
    (1d2)[2] Mountain Hammer
    Shield Block
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-02-25 at 01:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Confident that his companions will finish off the remaining guard, Xaxhan moves up and grabs the unconscious dwarf, dragging him backward into the pantry. He quickly casts his gaze about, looking for something to bind the unfortunate Kundarak soldier with. "Quickly! And get me a rope!" he hisses in a stage whisper.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[1] Search: (1d20+3)[18] Not sure what's appropriate here, or if there are any applicable penalties. Just looking for something with which to tie up our new friends.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang cut off the retreat of the remaining guard, Drasil providing a distraction.

Spoiler
    Show
    move to B2 tumble - (1d20+15)[27]

Drasil B4, Aid Another (1d20+9)[21]

Mountain Hammer - (1d20+14)[20] (1d4+6)[10] (2d6)[10] (2d6)[3]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf clashes his shield against Shard's incoming blow, but barely manages to soften it, the blade glancing aside and smacking against his skull anyway. Rolling around behind his guard, Grimmgang finishes the job with a sharp blow to the chin, and the Kundarak's eyes roll back in his head as he collapses. Xaxhan manages to secure a coil of rope from the holding cell, and the two unconscious guards are soon bound.

No one else is yet in evidence as you look up and down the corridor; from here, you have only the crude map to guide you, with directions listed in numbers of steps and turns; the next and most important landmark mentioned is a large forge area, beyond which a set of steps takes one deeper toward the mines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

After binding the dwarves inside the pantry and breaking their whistles, Grimmgang closed the door firmly and used his Dragonmark to ward it. "That should alert me if they are found. Let's go." He put the sap on his belt again, ready to reach for either that or his axe depending on need.

Spoiler
    Show
    feel free to loot them while I do the restraints. Take 10 on Use Rope.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya nods and listens carefully for approaching footsteps as they make their way towards the forge.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+17)[29]

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Shard did it's best to tiptoe along behind the others, letting the stealthier party members take point, in case they were able to get the element of surprise in spite of that accursed whistle.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan quickly pats the dwarves down for items of interest, taking care to remove their weapons. "I imagine that you lads won't be needing these anytime soon." He turns to Grimmgang and continues with a wink, "It's a shame we can't kill them. They'd be more useful to our cause dead than they are alive." He made his way down the hall after his companions as stealthily as possible, mandolin in hand. Only when they seemed safely out of sight did he pause to activate his Dragonmark, surrounding himself with a field of protection from missiles.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You make your way carefully down the corridors, sometimes making a best-guess turn when two options are a little too close together. Halfway there, Daiya's keen ears pick up the footsteps of another pair of armoured individuals ahead; you all hold as still as you are able for perhaps half a minute, and then fortune favours you again as they turn and walk the other way before reaching the corner. Finally, the unmistakable red glow of a smithy lights the corridor ahead. The metallic clinking of someone tinkering with equipment disguises the sounds of even Shard's approach, and for a moment it seems as though you will reach the lone smith unnoticed - and then Drasil stops momentarily, brushing a floating strand of spider silk off her jaw, and the corridor erupts in white, sticky strands of webbing.

A dwarf leans back to look around the corner, a smith's muscles prominent in his right shoulder under the mail coat he wears and the Mark of Warding plain across his face. "Hah, score one for the principle of sympathy! Now let's just...ah?" Frowning down his nose at you, he drops the tool he was holding onto a bench. "I do believe I've caught wyrmlings, not guinea pigs. Whatever business you have down here, it is most certainly not legitimate. I find myself obliged to... arrest your motion. Further, that is."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roughly seven minutes have elapsed since you exited the crates, for those of you counting buff durations.

Initiative:
    Shard
    Smith
    Grimmgang
    Daiya
    Xaxhan

In a classic example of WotC editing, they didn't include the map for this encounter, the typesetter claiming it would be on the facing page and presumably later forgetting about it. So we get recycled art.

Shard is a square or two off the left edge of the map. And, of course, everyone needs to save against a Web at DC14 Reflex. (Probably better to link that than reproduce the wall of text here.) There are stairs down at I6/J6.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Shard moved past the others into the smithy, the strands of web seeming to float lightly away from the glowing aura surrounding it's body. Wasting no time for words, it swung the flat of it's blade at the Dragonmarked defender.

Spoiler
    Show

Failed save on a natural 1 but it doesn't matter: Travel Domain automatically triggers 1 round of Freedom of Movement.

You were non specific on whether Shard was 1 or 2 squares off the edge but he has Longstrider active so he moves either 35 or 40 feet to G4.

Since we've been being stealthy, IC has more than worn off, as has Law Devotion, so this is going to be a low-ball roll:

Comes out swinging! (1d20+5)[10]
    Nonlethal: (2d6+4)[12]

Iron Guard's Glare (not that it matters with no other allies but just to be keeping this guys attention from a fluff perspective while the others get free)
    Reupped Force Screen: 7 minutes AC: 26
    Longstrider Still Active

(1d4)[1] Vanguard Strike
    (1d3)[3] Mountain Hammer
    (1d2)[2] Stone Bones
    Shield Block

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that's a neat trick," the smith comments, ducking under the blade and taking a step back. Drawing a scroll, he runs his fingers over the text briefly, speaking a short incantation and splitting into four duplicates. "I ought to keep that one in mind for the next iteration."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The web was thick, dulling Grimmgang's motion. It would take a good deal of strength and effort to force his way through this obstacle.
    "Nah." Not contend to be held in place, he brought forth an alchemist's fire and smashed it against his own chest, gritting his teeth as the burning liquid washed over him and set the strands of web on fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    fire - (1d6)[1]
    A-C 4-5 burn, dealing fire - (2d4)[3]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan winces as the flames briefly course over him, but smiles as the path through the web is laid bare. Plinking out a few choice chords on his mandolin, he summons the strength of his ancestors to mystically sharpen his allies' blades.

"From one professional to another, work on your puns," Xaxhan comments flatly. "It's often a sticky subject," he says, brushing the last strands of webbing from his shoulders.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya grits her teeth as the fire burns away the webbing, reaching for an alchemist's fire of her own and lobbing it ahead of them in the hallway to clear the rest of the path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning the rest forward of us.
    (2d4)[4]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"I could use some help my perceptive friend" Shard asked, hoping Daiya would soon direct it to the proper target.

Realizing it was unlikely to strike, Shard ceased holding back.

Spoiler
    Show
    You seem to indicate a multiple images spell though I see only one B on the map. I'll let you roll for whether I hit a duplicate or the real deal...maybe I'll get lucky!

(1d20+12)[26]
    (2d6+7)[13]
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-03-04 at 12:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Shard's attack is well-aimed, hitting solid dwarf rather than ephemeral illusion, although the smith is a sturdy one, and the resulting cut is but a flesh wound. "A lucky swing. You're a queer one, aren't you? Perhaps I'll get the chance to examine you more closely later."

As the web starts to burn, he leans over with a look of disbelief - and faint disgust. "I say, did you just set yourselves on fire? I'll have no part of your ridiculous masochism in this room. I can hardly let anyone as crazed as you below, either - although once you're bound, we might decide that's where you belong." Sliding back from Shard again, he draws forth another scroll, the resulting incantation longer this time, and the rush of power far more potent. At first it is only a blast of wind, but the howl of swirling air is quickly muffled as a vast quantity of sand blocks off both exits from the room, swirling suspended in midair.

"And now for you, crystal one. Ashk, set to work." Uncoiling itself from where it had lain hidden behind the forge, a serpent of metal and magic slithers forward to guard the smith, striking at Shard with fangs that glisten with poison - albeit a useless one.

Spoiler
    Show
    The images aren't far enough apart to get separate map designations, so it's just a straight d4 roll to see if you hit (which you did, this round).

Smith drops a Wall of Sand on the south end of the room. A full round action moves you 5ft through the wall for every 5 points you exceed a DC10 Strength check by. Can't speak, breathe, see or hear while in the wall. Spells without verbal components can be cast with a DC20+level Concentration check.

Cobra attacks Shard: (1d20+2)[3]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei