New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1227282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1345
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sources and Dragons (IC)

Limerick Basch't - Professional.

Limerick lifts his hand up, almost like a school child when Wren finishes off, "Just for note... I won't be doing anything out of the kindness of my heart." His voice is rather sing-song today as he looks back to Ruin, "I usually take cold hard coin... or if you have some items of power, being a magocracy and all, I'm more then happy to open up negotiations. Terracor... lovely place... nice big windows."

Signature by Sneak.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

Frowning, he outwardly controls his emotions. Inwardly, however, his blood boils at the mere thought of working with an evil dragon. Working with a being such as this violates everything his transformation had ingrained within him, and the idea of saving this.. thing's hide was only more distasteful than helping him. The only saving grace would be the fact that his subjugates would suffer more as a result of any inaction, so he waits to hear what the creature says.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thanks for making connections between friends come to life.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ruin laughs warmly and levels his gaze on Dano, acknowledging his role as leader of the group. "Oh how novel, to be the lesser of the evils about, but this time I am. The sources will not stop with Terracor, or anything else. They are forces of destruction, and even the gods themselves put aside their petty differences to end their threat. When it was my job, I worked with a paladin, and my...well...closest thing to a friend, is Bahamut's pet, Beleg. I'm not asking you to turn to my mistress' side, but I am bound to protect my people, so for them, set aside your hatred." He turns to Limerick, "You will of course be compensated. Your reward will be one million for each of you, and even a bonus for the poor one over there," Ashlee glares at him and growls slightly.
    Epic Sorc ~ "You said I could have this spell."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

His hand squeezes Ashlee's as he listens, feeling her frustration, and sharing it. What the dragon king said was true: They would have to set aside their differences in order to deal with this problem of the sources. Sighing inwardly, he looks at the group and looks back at Ruin.

"Under normal circumstances, I would have attacked you at first sight, as every fiber of my being is designed to kill you and your kin. You are the very thing Bahamut transformed to destroy." He pauses, but holds up a hand at the initiation of a snide remark.

"But, these are not normal circumstances. This situation is not unlike my friend, Garath, who shares this table with us." He looks to his friend as he continues to speak. "He was forged from a being of pure good, and a being of pure evil. He chose to make his life mean something for the greater good, utilizing the strengths of both bloodlines and thinking of others before his own warring interests."

He looks back to Ruin, and his eyes glow slightly. "Do not think for a moment that I trust you. Even if you do not intend to do so, it is in your very nature to play the situations to your benefit. You are, from my understanding, duty-bound to protect your people. If you are better than that, then I am glad for your people, and I will happily eat my words."

He looks down at his hands, and then at the others, knowing this could be a life-or-death situation. "If we do nothing, we will possibly doom the world. You are right. Terracore will not be the last place they go, but the first." He pauses, his deep and overwhelming concern being felt by Ashlee. "We will work with you on this, however... there are some changes to your offer that need to take place."

He looks back to Ruin. "First, the million will go for all of us, even Ashlee. If she wishes to donate it to the church, or hand it out to her or your people -- because she is a kind and generous soul who looks past the ruler's shortcomings -- , that is her decision.

Second, you will provide another way of helping Ashlee, in absence of her obtaining monetary benefit out of this.

Thirdly, if we are planning the defense of Terracore, you will provide us any means to set up that defense. I know your pockets are excessively deep and your horde is probably the size of this town. The expenses, and life force, to set up this defense will not be our own to expend unless it is ours to shed on the battlefield.

Fourth, and this is important, you will evacuate your non-combative citizens to a safe demiplane so they are not caught in the crossfire. I will not have myself nor anyone else worrying about the lives of your people when we are supposed to be focusing on the defense of Terracore.

Lastly, I want you to swear to us that you are not going to do anything to double-cross us or try to get us killed by your direction action, orders to others, or inaction. I will not risk my comrades' lives only to have you kill us after this is all over."

He shakes his head and looks to Ashlee, hoping he is doing the right thing.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Gararth choked out a bit of false laughter right after Dano's speech, his hand gripped somewhat excessively tightly. He stood, making a slight movement to get the Succubus off his shoulder as he looked at Morris, and then Ruin, shaking his head in disgust.

"I swear I think this is the first time it's been my draconic heritage that limits what I am able to do."

He's eyes seemed to be glossed over for those that would look into them,is massive body trembled a bit, objects near him shifting a bit from his wieght.

"Ruin... Keep your money. In fact, use it to the fortification and protection of the innocent. Morris... if I am right, I cannot join Dano in this battle, can I? I am just as likely to be controlled as any other dragon. If my presence in battle is truly a hazard, then find a way for me to fight."
    All your base are belong to us!

Mistakes happen. Though the chance to cure it is always there, people fail to do so. We will miss our friend, who we will always support.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick closes his book softly as Garath finishes talking, and pops his neck again. Yawning again, he looks back to Ruin, "Give me the gold he's shrugging off ontop of my personal payment," he indicates Garath with a wave of his hand, "and I'll do it. Think we'll both find it's well spent."

Signature by Sneak.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Morris shakes his head, "What Ruin is requesting from you is not to go after the source controlling the dragons. This one, if I have my information straight, seems to be opposed to magic, and is not even confirmed to be a source."

Wren raises her hand to stop any bickering that might arise. "It is a source." She waves her hand for Morris to continue.

"Very well." Morris nods, "If it is a source of direct opposition to magic, then your talents would be the most useful against it. As for the dragons, we will continue to work on the problem here. Have no fear my friend. When the time comes, you will have your chance to pay the creature back for its insult to dragon kind." He sighs and looks at Ruin.

Ruin sits quietly, unbothered by the anger directed toward him. "Tiamat is organizing her forces to aid with the destruction of that source as well, though she would like as much as any to keep the number of casualties as low as possible. But that is not the current topic." He waves a hand dismissively. "I cannot evacuate my noncombat people, because there are none. That is what gives Toracor its greatest security, but the Omin have developed an immunity to magic. It is not normal, but created through the use of a being which they keep well guarded in their "capital city". While the city usually moves and is difficult to track, my spies tell me that it now resides in the ruined city of Kar'tun and has been there for some time. The Omin are still in the process of developing and distributing the anti-magic ability, but this needs to be stopped before it gets out of control. Kill the source and you kill the offensive before it even begins."

"I suppose that this would be an assassination job, much more up Limerick's alley," Ruin shrugs, "but when dealing with a source, you never know what you're getting into until it's too late. As for the million, I meant that as one million for each of you, and I will see to it that on top of the money, your greenling is given something that she can have, and use...no strings attached...beyond the ending of the threat to Toracor of course."

Ashlee sits quietly, but Dano can feel her irritation with Ruin, especially at the term "greenling".

"Finally," Ruin grins and leans forward, "You have my word that I will not double-cross you, or do anything that will in any way endanger you and your fellows. You'll have enough to worry about without me. Besides, Wren would have my head if I turned on someone she considers an ally." He grins smuggly at the halfling and she answers with a sweet smile.

Spoiler
    Show
    A little background that everyone would know. The people of Ominak hate magic. They have developed strengths and defenses against it over time. They are a nomadic people, traveling, setting up temporary tent cities, and moving on after a while. They live on very little, though it's still a wonder that they survive without farmers of any kind. The people of Ominak are all warriors excluding some of the women and the children. When they grow too old to fight any longer, they are left on the plains to die.

Any non-human is treated as an enemy, and they would kill most of you on sight. Toracor and Ominak have always been at war, but Ominak does not posess the resources to invade, and Toracor doesn't want anything that's in Ominak.
    Last edited by Fuzzball; 2008-03-26 at 12:57 PM.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Orc in the Playground

"Like I said... if you give me the money that any of these decide they are to good for... ontop of my 1 million... you've got yourself one of the best assassin's that is alive today." He lightly crosses his arms over his chest, watching the man carefully through his mask... his voice did lose the sing-song to it, the reasons for which there could honestly be any.

Signature by Sneak.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

Nodding, Dano looks at Wren and back to Ruin. "Do your spies tell you approximately how long they will remain at their current location before attempting their assault?"

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ruin appears to be ignoring Limerick, though why is hard to say. He looks at Dano, "It is unusual for Omin cities to stay in one place for more that a week or so. They have been in Kar'tun for nearly a month now. It's one of the reasons I suspected a source in the first place. They cause normal behavior patterns to change. I doubt the Omin will be moving any time soon. But, be wary, the altered barbarians that we have come across are probably the lesser examples of what they can do. If they have elite forces," Ruin sounds a bit disgusted, "they would keep them to guard their most valued posessions."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

Nodding, he understands the implication. "Wren, how much longer until the protection spell is ready?"

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Wren looks at Anar, "Could be days...could be months... First we have to find something that works against it. There's always a way. You just have to look hard enough. Until then however, Ruin has made a generous offer...considering who he is...and it would help to keep your minds off of the dragon issue for a brief time."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick keeps his position, his arms lightly crossed over his chest as he yawns again. His eyes remain firmly on Ruin as he begins analyzing the dragon carefully with a gaze that most wouldn't openly demonstrate as Limerick is right now.

----------

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone but the PC's has probably had their run-in's with Assassin's... so... they will all probably recognize the signature study-gaze for an Assassin who is preparing his Death Attack.

Signature by Sneak.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

He stoically looks at the others. "I guess we don't have much of an option. We're in. Wren, I would like access to some of your high-power manifesters and casters that I'm sure you have available to you. There is a grade of psionic power I wanted to research, and it would likely be prudent to do it as quickly as possible." He looks at Ashlee and she can feel deep concern and apprehension threatening to overwhelm Dano's calm exterior.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Wren shakes her head, "I'm good, but the expert on the matters of magic is sitting right there," she points at Anar and he perks up a bit.

Ruin continues to ignore Limerick, though Morris gives the assassin a look that says 'don't try it stupid.'
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

Nodding, he stands up and walks over to Anar, and starts speaking quietly to the man.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick snorts slightly and slides his chair back, throwing his feet of the table as he pulls himself up. Adjusting his dirty antique of hat on his head he yawns and walks out of the room. However, before he leaves he calls out over his shoulder, "Anar, let me know when you finish that spell for me... looks like I came into wealth again."

Signature by Sneak.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ruin chuckles and disappears with a wave of his hand and Wren shakes her head.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, um anybody want to do anything, or have questions, or...I don't know what you want to do next...or how long you're willing to hang around waiting for spells...they can do their research while your away after all...
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

He pauses as he looks to Garath and Yorimi. "You two, get what you need together to leave on a moment's notice. Garath, I will need you to get a few things once my conversation with Anar here is finished. Yorimi, stay out of trouble and don't try to seduce anyone. No more messing around."

He looks to Ashlee, and she can feel him want her by him for support. A glance is shared, and nothing is said. He moves to Limerick last, and watches the man leave with some trepidation, but says nothing. He quietly resumes speaking with Anar.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ashlee moves past Dano, stroking one of his wings gently. She pauses near him and chats with Morris, her tail playing idly with his.

~~~~

Limerick leaves, transporting himself to the outskirts of Kar'tun. He cloaks himself in shadow and moves in taking care as he moves through the streets. The city walls are crumbled, and the buildings are deteriorating. Tents are scattered wherever there is room. Intuition leads Limerick to the city center where he finds more heavily armed guards attending entrances, newly furnished with locked doors, and the inability to teleport in the area.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick takes a sea on one of the more higher located areas, and sits down for a moment as he pulls out rod. Finding a crease in it, he unscrolls a lengthy map and checks it over. Sighing he looks down at the entrances for a moment and shakes his head as he scrolls it back up, and stands up.

Dropping down the side of the building, he checks the stone over for a moment and then looks at the door while the guards backs are to him. He checks out the lock and checks for any mundane traps, and then waits above the door for the guard shift so he can slip inside if they go in-and-out.

Signature by Sneak.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The guards change after a few hours of waiting. Limerick slips through unnoticed. He searches through hallways until he comes to a larger hall with several guards at the far end, posted in front of a large ironbound door.

Spoiler
    Show
    1) how close does Limerick get to the guards?
    2) sense motive please
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick never lets anyone within 30ft. of him, keeping to the ceiling as he moves or the walls. His eyes scanning each person as he sees them with a very analytical gaze as he moves. He stops 30ft. from the iron-bound door, and monitors the guards and the door. Also.. Limerick remembers talk about these guys having some type of anti-magic abilities... so he's monitoring his gear and powers to see if there a range to their effect.

--------

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: 41

Signature by Sneak.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

Dano nods and walks over to Wren and begins speaking to her quietly, asking her a few questions. She leads him over to a small alcove and after opening it, hands him a necklace with a large black gem. He asks her a question, and then sets it on the ground. The air around him stills and power crackles in the room as his energy reaches new peaks, not normal for mundane manifesters. A crystal the size of his arm forms next to him and is driven downward into the necklace. In a blast that shakes the room, the crystal disappears in a shower of sparks, and with it the necklace. The flagstone floor is pressed in where the impact was, and the gem remained.

Frowning, he picks it up and hands it over to Wren, who replaces it from whence it came. He walks over to Ashlee and holds her from behind, his tail now toying with hers.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Anar scurries off when he feels that Dano is finished with him. When Dano seems satisfied with his questions Wren goes to follow, "You are welcome to tarry here until you a ready to leave, though I don't know how long you'll wish to leave Limerick to his own devices."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do whatever you wish. Same as before, your globe of light will guide you to whatever you wish.

~~~

Limerick approaches slowly, but about 60 ft from the guards he gets the distinct impression that he is being watched by two of them. If he didn't know any better he would think that they were biding their time until he came within reach, like predators waiting to pounce.

Spoiler
    Show
    There are 12 guards in this hallway by the way. This passage is larger than those before, large enough even for Garath to fit. The door is massive, with a smaller door located at the center of its base.
    Last edited by Fuzzball; 2008-03-27 at 10:35 AM.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick frowns slightly as he watches them... after a moment, he issues a quick mental command to one of his rings, and his form begins blinking in and out of existence. If these guys were using psionic senses... this would allow him to bypass those extra sensory abilities as well. He watched their facial expressions, wanting to see if he managed to slip past however they were detecting him.

Signature by Sneak.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

If anything, Limerick's continued advance makes the two guards more tense. The others seem to sense this and Limerick can see muscles begin to tighten. At about fourty feet away, the eyes of the guard he would guess is the leader lock on his in an angry glare.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative please Tai.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

He nods to Wren, and leans into Ashlee and mutters quietly in her ear. "We should go to bed soon. We've been traveling all day, and if I am to accomplish what I intend to do, I will need to start bright and early tomorrow morning."
    Last edited by Wraithkin; 2008-03-28 at 10:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Orc in the Playground

Limerick Basch't - Professional - Initiative: 32

As he realizes he's been fully spotted, he grips his bow tight in his hand and levels an arrow right at the leader, vile green ooze dripping from the tip of the arrow as he keeps his gaze locked firm... his senses spread throughout the room as he keeps a check on everything and everyone there.

--------

Spoiler
    Show
    Holding my actions until I know what exactly is happening, and where I stand in initiative.

Signature by Sneak.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Garath will find a nice big training ground to hone his skills a bit more, before retiring to rest for his trip. Agni and Rudra are kept safe as his primary, but his Zenkai seems to be almost in a shrine upon the walls.
    All your base are belong to us!

Mistakes happen. Though the chance to cure it is always there, people fail to do so. We will miss our friend, who we will always support.