New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: So, Malack...

1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: So, Malack...

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Bloodshed yes, chaos, no. This was written before 875, so yea. Without the EoB there would be a power vacuum and other warlords would be fighting for control, causing as much destruction if not more.
    Proven by: Tarquin said so.

Meanwhile, what we've seen is that Tarquin's party causes, not stops, wars in the region.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Proven by: Tarquin said so.
    The cartographer

3. - Top - End - #363

Probably not as evil as Tarquin. Tarquin's kills are slow and painful (burning people to death, making them fight as gladiators) while Malack views killing people as merely sending to another plane of existence.
    I think I'd count a thousand "orderly" deaths a day as quite a bit more evil than a few slow, painful deaths.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

The cartographer
    Who hasn't noticed any decrease in the violence since Tarquin started his scheme. Tarquin's gang isn't getting rid of the violence, they're just benefiting from it.

5. - Top - End - #365

The cartographer
    ...said that the wars are constant. Are. With Tarquin enacting his scheme. Source of stability? Noticeably absent.

That's supposed to support your claim how, exactly?
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-03-01 at 03:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...said that the wars are constant. Are. With Tarquin enacting his scheme. Source of stability? Noticeably absent.

That's supposed to support your claim how, exactly?
    It's been a while since I read those strips.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yeah, that last strip sure strikes me as lawful evil on Malack's part. ^^

8. - Top - End - #368

Now that it's been settled, the real question is if Malack knows he's evil or not.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    Yeah, that last strip sure strikes me as lawful evil on Malack's part. ^^
    Actually, there's still debate here.

Is Malack merely the average Lawful Evil mastermind or is he more Lawful Evil than the average freaking baatezu?

Seriously, somewhere, Asmodeus is grumbling about normal gods getting all the good clerics...
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wish to retract my previous statement on malack as
    EVIL
    Well, before 875 came out neutral was still on the table, but the "sacrifice 1000 people every day" provides the ultimate answer to the question.
    even if doing it all just in service of his god takes a bit of edge out of it. only a bit.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

11. - Top - End - #371
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Tin mad dog. I was hoping Malack would wait until *after* he'd made someone into a vampire before revealing his evil plans.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I wish to retract my previous statement on malack as
    EVIL
    Well, before 875 came out neutral was still on the table, but the "sacrifice 1000 people every day" provides the ultimate answer to the question.
    even if doing it all just in service of his god takes a bit of edge out of it. only a bit.
    Umm, Neutral completely ceased to be an option as of 872. There was a tiny, tiny sliver of a chance of Neutral before that.

The difference from 872 to 875 is the difference between "That guy's killing that dog" and "And now he's killing the town by making them choke on bits of the dog."

Evil. Gratuitous evil. All 875 did was give us the gratuitous part.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Tin mad dog. I was hoping Malack would wait until *after* he'd made someone into a vampire before revealing his evil plans.
    Well, you see, that just might mean he won't get the chance to make anyone into a vampire.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

14. - Top - End - #374

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Well, you see, that just might mean he won't get the chance to make anyone into a vampire.
    Durkon has just walked into melee range of an angry (or at least annoyed) vampire, without backup or the majority of his spell slots. This is not going to end well without intervention, and fast.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm still wondering how Rich is going to murder Tarquin's ethical system now that he's screwed over poor Malack.

I really take Tarquin at his word when he says that he ultimately contributes to stability in the Western Continent; simply because the incidence of intra-state violence in other systems is so high that peace by itself is humanitarian. The means might not be savory, the men involved might be bastards, but the end effect is ultimately more attractive than the alternative.

16. - Top - End - #376

As has been pointed out, the last 20 years on the Western continent have been one war after another. No "peace" at all.

The only "stability" has been that Tarquin's gang have stayed as "the powers behind the thrones" for the whole time.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-03-01 at 05:40 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

I disagree and I think that Tarquin's polities are in the process of consolidation. Take for example the Free City of Doom; that state was formerly sovereign until it was annexed by the Empire of Tears. It is in Tarquin's interests to maximize the territory under his control, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, but he's admitted to not having all territories on his continent under his thumb.

18. - Top - End - #378

Twenty years of war, just as bad (although not necessarily worse) as it was before Tarquin's scheme, does not scream "Tarquin is reducing the amount of suffering on the Western continent" to me.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

With regards to direct evidence:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html

"Plus, I have the rest of the continent to absorb"

Which indicates Tarquin is still in the process of absorbing states that fall outside his imperial system.

==

I think the important thing is to consider how much direct violence occurs between Tarquin's respective states. If his three powers fight each other less than individual states would, then perhaps Tarquin deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for reducing the quantity of warfare.

The absorption of states into Tarquin's imperial system, of course, is going to be a violent affair, but I'm assuming such things happen only once.

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by Inst View Post
    I think the important thing is to consider how much direct violence occurs between Tarquin's respective states. If his three powers fight each other less than individual states would, then perhaps Tarquin deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for reducing the quantity of warfare.
    We know each of them is toppled every few years by a "patsy":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Ironically, merely planning to sacrifice 1000 people every day in the distant future, without having actually sacrificed any of them, may not be evil. It causes me to conclude that Malack is evil for a different reason: it makes much more certain the idea that Malack has committed many evil acts in the past in helping to set up Tarquin's regime, even though those acts occurred off screen.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    We know each of them is toppled every few years by a "patsy":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html
    Expanding on this, every few years there is a new war, then a new kingdom/state with a new ruler. It would take some time for Tarquin and Co. to get in good with the new regime, unless they blatantly betray the old "ruler" for the new guy, which probably doesn't help the new guy trust them as good loyal advisors. So, during this time, I think it is logical to assume that Free City of Doom and other cities like it are conquered by a new warlord or declare independence, maybe being loyalists to the old regime or something. The new puppet state has to reconquer that territory. Unless the Free City of Doom had decades of independence, I think it split off from Tyrania or some other Tarquin-state between rulers. So there is probably a large amount of violence every few years as a direct result of Tarquin making a new kingdom, then the proceeding wars of conquest just to reconquer territories that split away.

Now, there is a fairly good chance that the other two states, run by Tarquin's friends, would assimilate those smaller cities trying to be a new empire. But I don't think that Tarquin's method is distinguishably less bloody than the warfare before him. He still has the constant warfare, and he is consolidating the other countries at slow increments. If his goal was for a longstanding peace and goodwill for the peoples of the Western Continent, he could lean MUCH heavier into philosopher king, and less bloodthirsty narcissist.

Edit: going by comic 698's map, the three empires are all on the eastern side of the continent, with the empire of blood reaching north of the desert and below the Goaway mountains towards the western coast. The other two empires are centered around an isthmus, with the Free City of Doom being the only territory not belonging to the Tarquin plot stuck right between them, right on the mouth of where the major river feeds into the ocean. The nation of Reptilia is small and on the eastern coast, directly south of the edge of the go away mountains and seemingly is blocking access to the Elven Lands by way of the non-mountained coastline. Elves probably send low to mid levels there to fight off Reptilian incursions, or something similarly low level.

Going by that map, Tarquin is actually much closer to the goal than I thought. Getting the other two areas of the continent would take a lot of work, with one being on the other side of the Empire of Blood (the lack of settlements marked in the western part of the EoB indicates it not being very hospitable) and roughly the same size as the EoB, though split among many small fueding states. The area near Sandsedge is the other area of inhabited desert, and is a bunch of Republics of Dictatorial Madness. Marching armies across the entire span of the empire of blood, or a similar distance to the southern land (and through Sandsedge!) to begin conquest of a large area as big as the Empire would be a difficult sell. So I assume there is not a real plan to take them, as it would require new plotting (the three empire patsy plan doesn't work due to someone having to mantain the other two empires as one empire goes to claim those two areas. It would begin to stretch Tarquin's group and needs some more imagination than I can spare right now.)
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-03-01 at 07:02 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Now, there is a fairly good chance that the other two states, run by Tarquin's friends, would assimilate those smaller cities trying to be a new empire. But I don't think that Tarquin's method is distinguishably less bloody than the warfare before him.
    This is difficult to establish in the comic without some kind of hard statistics on mortality rates before and after conquest. But in the real world, going by skeletal evidence, the transition from squabbling tribal anarchy to central urban government- even, by our standards, remarkably brutal, repressive and belligerent central urban government- tended to result in lower average rates of violent death. (Also higher rates of malnutrition and disease, but that's another story.)

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    As has been pointed out, the last 20 years on the Western continent have been one war after another. No "peace" at all.

The only "stability" has been that Tarquin's gang have stayed as "the powers behind the thrones" for the whole time.
    Except that the continent has ALWAYS been like this. Tarquin didn't create the current instability, he's just another piece of it. However, If Tarquin were successful, he could bring an end to the wars once he brings the number of countries down to 3 which he controls. Though ofcourse, while the countries might be stable, they will run by his brand of dicatorship

25. - Top - End - #385

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    Ironically, merely planning to sacrifice 1000 people every day in the distant future, without having actually sacrificed any of them, may not be evil. It causes me to conclude that Malack is evil for a different reason: it makes much more certain the idea that Malack has committed many evil acts in the past in helping to set up Tarquin's regime, even though those acts occurred off screen.
    I'd argue that it is evil, for the reasons you say afterwards. This isn't an angry kid screaming "I'll kill ALL the people!!!" in a fit of rage. This is a methodical, intelligent, immortal creature divulging that wiping out 1000 souls a day (not just lives, but SOULS, preventing any hope of the afterlife we know exists in this world) has been his gameplan for decades. He's been thinking it, discussing it, researching it, and almost certainly conducting all manner of atrocious off-screen acts to bring it about.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Except that the continent has ALWAYS been like this. Tarquin didn't create the current instability, he's just another piece of it. However, If Tarquin were successful, he could bring an end to the wars once he brings the number of countries down to 3 which he controls. Though ofcourse, while the countries might be stable, they will run by his brand of dicatorship
    I doubt he could, because if three empires are right next to each other and there isn't any bloodshed, the ruse is rather obvious. If they continue the patsy replacement, a similar problem arises in convincing the puppet ruler to not attempt to take advantage of the situation and send an army in. Now, a deadlock of two nations over some territory, instead of a multitude of smaller nations in constant warfare, would probably have less death, and allows a pair of the group to try conquest in other areas of the continent. Or they split it 3 people an empire and get lazy. Either way, this is getting off topic for a Malack thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm still wondering how Rich is going to murder Tarquin's ethical system now that he's screwed over poor Malack.

I really take Tarquin at his word when he says that he ultimately contributes to stability in the Western Continent; simply because the incidence of intra-state violence in other systems is so high that peace by itself is humanitarian. The means might not be savory, the men involved might be bastards, but the end effect is ultimately more attractive than the alternative.
    I believe that Tarquin means it when he says that he's bringing stability to the Western Continent - his argument with Ian on the subject is probably the most genuinely angry we've ever seen him. I doubt very much that it's an excuse.

I don't believe that the actual facts of the situation support his view in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    This is a methodical, intelligent, immortal creature divulging that wiping out 1000 souls a day (not just lives, but SOULS, preventing any hope of the afterlife we know exists in this world) has been his gameplan for decades.
    Where does he say anything about sacrificing souls?
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-03-01 at 08:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarquin's ethical system murders itself.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

He mentions that "Nergal will devour your soul" to Nale, when he's about to try and kill him.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I believe that Tarquin means it when he says that he's bringing stability to the Western Continent - his argument with Ian on the subject is probably the most genuinely angry we've ever seen him. I doubt very much that it's an excuse.

I don't believe that the actual facts of the situation support his view in the slightest.

I believe that he believes it, and I think it does reduce the violence, but it is not by an amount that is worth being proud of, especially when he is enabling the violence and renewing it instead of trying to stop it.

I think that sacrificing people ritualistically does not usually take away their soul. Nale pretended to, for example, but there was no mention of destroyed souls. However, Malack (still don't know why some people call him Malak) has stated to Nale that "Nergal will eat your soul". This implies he knows some way of giving souls to his god for food. It isn't much of a leap to think that the sacrifices are soul sacrifices, but it is a leap. "Nergal will eat your soul "is a very very angry lizardfolk threat, not necessarily a legitimate threat that can be carried out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...