New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [PF] Big Damn Heroes IC

The realms of Hadad have long enjoyed relative peace and abundance. Led by a predominantly benign Cache of Shepherds, the united kingdoms found its borders well defended, its economy growing and its citizens fat and happy.

The nobility of the kingdom, largely ineffectual save in their own estates, have grown noticeably vocal in their insistence that things change. A stagnant nobility is a dangerous nobility. This much is obvious. What is not is the lengths to which those with enough power and influence will go in order to increase that power and influence.

News from the central kingdom, known as Aerth, is that two members of the Cache have met untimely or unexpected deaths. Fearing the worst, the remaining 3 have sequestered themselves until two new members are raised from the nobility.

Though somewhat shocking, the surrounding realms of Felt, Hirgt, Thistle, and Tigna have largely continued on in their normal fashion in response to the news. The four of you, though hailing from different kingdoms and even far off lands, have made a home for the past couple of years in the kingdom of Thistle. Known colloquially as the River Kingdoms and the seat of mercantilism for the realms of Hadad, you've made your home in its capital city, Vicen.

Each of you have carried about in the past few months on personal endeavors, pursuits important to each of you. One important factor that keeps you based here is the gift from a particularly thankful Countess, (though noone amongst you has admitted to the heights of her thankfulness, particularly since she was a vocal follower of Calistria), exposing the Doppelganger amongst her family and its plots to build a powerbase of her holdings, resulted in the gift of a tavern that she owned just off of the city square in Vicen. Not only did you find the benefits of free grog and wine, but its rooms provided the one thing you all were lacking, a home. [Enter Tavern Name Here] has done well, paying for itself and giving you enough profit to more than subsist in the expensive heart of the city. The managing of the tavern you have let fall to the a former bailiff named Thanis. He is both efficient and orderly, and the only cost is that he takes a bit of the product himself(as each of you might have done a time or two). You've only had to dunk him in a water barrel to sober him up a handful of times, and the lack of responsibility that he affords you more than pays for itself.

Each of you have rooms above the tavern, decorated as each of you has seen fit. Aside from the Doppelganger's plot, you've helped clear the sewers of Vicen of a Dire Rat infestation led by a Wererat(an unpleasant few days, that, Rat King indeed!). During the last Feast of Cayden Cailean, a traveling carnival prompted a response once they had imbibed most of the cityguard and began wantonly robbing the citizenry. That one was led by a particularly ill-tempered Satyr. You can occasionally still hear his howls from the stockade. Most recently you foiled a raid on the docks from a rogue sorcerer and his bestial wyvern. Though they fled the scene, it was still hailed as wondrous victory by the citizenry of Vicen.

Your heroism has reaped further rewards in that the tavern has never done so much business. Thanis has hired additional staff and seems to be handling it well, although grumbles about his lack of 'free time' have reached each of you. You've all found it increasingly difficult to travel about the town without being recognized as the Heroes of Vicen. With fame comes a heavy cost, indeed.

This is where you find yourselves on the current summer morn. Sitting at a table far removed from the others and always held in reserve for your patronage, you sit conversing and eating a hearty stew for breakfast.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [PF] Big Damn Heroes IC

Taking a bite of the stew, I take a moment to assess whether it tastes good today or not. I then look up to my companions and in Elven I speak "Greetings kinsmen."

And then in Common, "And Lady Snow." Nodding to her. "How fare you all this morning?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Ceruli

At his corner of the table, the half-elf is surrounded by notes with formulas that only he would understand. He nervously holds two vials of mysterious goo and drips one contents into the other. The goo seems to fizzle away.
    With a sigh, Ceruli tries his stew. With a small frown, he drops the remaining goo into the stew. After a second taste, he seems to enjoy it and writes down something before continuing his meal.

"Morning then... Kinsmen? I am only half a kinsman you know? And good day Snow."

He starts to put away his notes and vials. One note is stuck to his wrist, which he spends a few seconds removing with the utmost delicacy (like one would remove a bandage from a wound).
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2013-02-04 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

With a bemused smile, Atzir watches Ceruli's dedication to his experiments.

"Indeed, my friend. Even so, you are still Elf-kin."

Atzir peers into his mug, determining if its contents are fit to drink.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Snow finishes setting the table (she refused to let any of the 'help' do it for her, they were busy enough without having to dote on their employers) and took here seat at the table.

"I'm doing lovely so far boys," said Snow, smiling at her friends, "the sun is out, the birds are singing, and the inn is running like clockwork. It's a lovely a day as I could hope for!"

Snow's beaming smile just about lit up the room. Her good cheer was either agonizing or infectious, depending on your general state of mind.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Caelyth

Coming down from the first floor, Caelyth nods to his friends in greeting before finding himself a place at a table "Good morning friends, how fare you this fair morning?" he asks, his common sounding strange with his heavy elven accent and limited range of words. You have all tried and failed to teach him how to speak common. His mind seems to be unable to form proper sentences as soon as it leaves his native Elven. "Any news?"
    Last edited by Simba; 2013-02-05 at 06:54 AM.
    Act well before thinking!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Snow finishes with the table, Thanis walks over with the daily scrib sheets. He holds them up for Snow's perusal, as is the routine now.

Thanis' hatchet-like face gains a bit of humanity as he basks in the glow of Snow's smile.

"Madam Snow. Gentlemen. Welcome to the day. I hope I find each of you well? The stores are good, running a bit low on the Gutter Morning after the party of dwarves from two nights ago. I've placed an order from Mellison's Brewery, but one of his son's arrived this morning stating that apparently the same group of dwarven miners made a visit to their place of business. They are now out of Gutter Morning. Will be at least 2-3 months before they'll have any ready for delivery."

He folds his hands in front of him as he speaks and his voice maintains the timbre of flapping pages of paper in a book.
    Last edited by ReluctantDragon; 2013-02-05 at 08:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"Poo," says Snow, "that one's popular, too. Though if the brewery's out, they probably drank most of the other inns dry of the stuff too. Anything else, Thanis?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That is it for the most part. I gave the Mellison boy a heel of bread and a few coppers for his effort."

He takes the last of the sheaves of paper, nods his head to each of you and saves Snow for last, giving an ever-so-rare smile. He shuffles off and you hear his wheedling voice in the kitchen giving directions.

As his voice fades, you all feel the floor shake and a second or two later you hear screams from outside.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Caelyth

With his usual alacrity Caelyth jumps up and runs outside, grabbing his bow and quiver on the way out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Caelyth

Spoiler
    Show

As you leave the stoop of the tavern, your eyes adjust to the light of day. You see a myriad number of people running from the city square, a block away. As you assess the situation, you see a flare of brightness arc in the sky, resolving itself to be a fireball. You see it come back down in the city square and feel another vibration in the cobblestones beneath your feet. The smell of smoke reaches your nostrils as screams rise in fervor.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Atzir, startled by the shaking ground, but only momentarily, follows on the heels of Caelyth outside.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Atzir

Spoiler
    Show

As you leave the stoop of the tavern, your eyes adjust to the light of day. You see a myriad number of people running from the city square, a block away. As you assess the situation, you see a flare of brightness arc in the sky, resolving itself to be a fireball. You see it come back down in the city square and feel another vibration in the cobblestones beneath your feet. The smell of smoke reaches your nostrils as screams rise in fervor.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Atzir takes note of where the fireball may have origionated from.

Cursing bitterly, he darts back inside and gathers his weapons and armor while yelling, "Everyone must flee from the center of the city and take cover! My friends, the city may be under attack!"

Hastily donning his armor, he begins yelling at stragglers to make their way to safety, before rejoining Caelyth outside.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Atzir

Spoiler
    Show

Going over the scene in your head, the fireball originated in the city square and then fell back down near the its launch area, as far as you could tell.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Atzir heads off towards the square cautiously, allowing time for the others to follow...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh my."

With that understatement, Snow rushes outside with the others. She merely has to whistle and Prince comes running from the nearby stable, while Sam swoops down to land on her shoulder.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Battleborn80 View Post
    Atzir heads off towards the square cautiously, allowing time for the others to follow...
    Caelyth

Caelyth follows Atzir, bow in hand, arrow nocked and held at half draw. A silent prayer moves his lips, asking for strength, courage and true strikes in the battle to come.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Ceruli

Looking at his notes, he realizes that everyone has left him alone.

"Huh... Where did? Oh well, might as well head out to the local deli."

Ceruli picks up his backpack and heads out.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Ceruli

Spoiler
    Show

Your focused task of getting delectable meats is interrupted by screaming and people running past you. A quick glance at the cause of commotion reveals your compatriots running headlong towards the city square, where most of the screaming is coming from. In past occasions, similar to this, you've found it best to ignore initial impulses of theory-forming and applying a good thought process to things to be frustrating to your friends. They seem to think it is best to ignore common sense and charge into the middle of a situation, having no formative structure to their actions. Strange, but they are insistent.

Snow, Atzir and Caelyth all manage to make sure that Ceruli is aware of an issue going on before making it to the end of the block and rounding the Fedder House, home to an unscrupulous innkeeper who makes his money selling secrets of those who stay under his roof. It doesn't bring a tear to anyone's eyes that the front facade of his house is scorched.

Ghastly surprise does tear at you when you see the situation before you:

The center fountain, a relic of older days when a king sat upon the throne of Vicen, is now a gory tribute to some dark god. Filled with body parts and spewing blood instead of water, the fountain is surrounded by small-ish bloated figures that seem to be dancing in a circle around it. They seem to be almost perfecly round balls of flesh with small, clawed limbs that poke out of folds of fat. Above them flitter multiple small creatures with flapping wings and tails that end with stingers, like a scorpion. These fiendish little things are cackling and seem to be dropping body parts into the fountain.

The only thing that draws your eyes away from this spectacle is a flash of light and the sound of thunder as a lightning bolt arcs into the demons. Its origin comes from a man in bloody blue robes who appears to be putting up some resistance. As you all assess the situation, he is overcome by a couple of the fat creatures and 3 of the flying monsters.

You are overwhelmed by disgust and anger and feel the need to enter the fray!

@All
    Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round!
    Everyone gets a turn.
    Snow(atop Prince), Atzir, and Caelyth are all about 50 ft. away from the fountain and about 80 feet away from the Arcanist fighting the creatures. At the end of this initial turn, spoiler an initiative roll for me, please.
    Ceruli will arrive with enough time to see everyone jumping into action and can take part if he so wishes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Ceruli

"... But I have nothing prepared today..."

Ceruli looks at his bag,

"Well 'Old Saggy', you're probably going to have to get me through this one again. I'm not even wearing my combat outfit..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ceruli has no prepared extrates or his armor, cause why would he? He however has his bombs and mutagen prepared as making those are a daily ritual for him.

Initiative: (1d20+5)[11]
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+5)[13]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Everyone

Spoiler
    Show

Go ahead and do something.

The initiative rolls are for the NEXT round, as this is a surprise round. These bad guys aren't expecting any more do-gooders.

BB and CB who have already rolled initiative, I'll just use that for the actual first round. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Snow's not actually riding Prince. As counterintuitive as it may seem, since she wants to stay away from melee and he wants to get *into* melee, in a situation like this where she knows they're getting into a fight, she'd be adjacent to him but not on him.

"That... is just..." Snow looks at the scene with horror, and has to stop her breakfast from coming back up. Swiftly, she lays a hand on Prince's flank and whisper's something in the language of ancient forest.

Snow's spell wraps around the horse like a warm blanket of luck, and with a tremendous whinny he charges into the fray.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snow casts Divine Favor, using Share Spells to give it to Prince. Prince then charges the nearest nasty thing, assuming it's within 50 feet. Charge! (1d20+14)[25] (1d6+8)[9]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Atzir narrows his eyes as he processes the scene. With a twirl of his scimitar, he charges one of the robed man's assailants. The blade begins to glow blue and trail faint arcane symbols, as he swiftly joins battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a swift action, he imbues his weapon with an additional +1 and keen, using a point of his Arcane Pool. To attack his target he's charging: (1d20+15)[22]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

And...

Spoiler
    Show
    damage (1d6+7)[9]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Atzir

Spoiler
    Show

Given the fact that you have movement speed 30, and I stated that the robed man is 80ft. away, you won't get to that combat till next turn. Just wanted to let you know.

Prince shoots off like an arrow directly at one of the yellow-tinged, bulbous creatures scampering around the fountain. It freezes as Prince's hooves come crashing down on it, letting loose a greasy-sounding squeal at the pain.
    Last edited by ReluctantDragon; 2013-02-06 at 06:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Atzir, realizing at the last moment, he's not quite as fast as Prince... moves within 20 ft of the conflict and narrows his eyes menacingly at the wretched creatures!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Caelyth

Without wasting a word, Caelyth stops and steadies his aim, then shoots a single arrow at one of the flying monsters.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Bull's Eye Shot and Deadly Aim for a total of +2 to hit, +4 to damage.
    Attack: (1d20+13)[29]
    damage: (1d8+6)[10]

crit confirm if needed: (1d20+13)[28]
    crit damage if needed: (1d8+2)[3]

Initiative for the next round: (1d20+11)[12]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of the flying creatures above the fountain screams out in pain and rage, a high shriek echoes across the square. It pulls out the arrow and glares hatefully at Caelyth. Dropping the arrow, the creature grins evilly and disappears from sight.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Each of you are able to take a moment and search your memories for where you might have come across creatures such as these. Each of you recognize Imps as the flying creatures and Lemures as the disgusting, bloated creatures being stomped on by Prince. If anyone wants to utilize Knowledge to discover more information in game, give me a Knowledge Planes/Arcana/Religion roll.

The devils all turn their attention to the four of you. They grin evilly, seeing more sacrifices to their impromptu, macabre shrine. It seems that they take particular interest in Caelyth, seeing someone who is basically their antithesis. Two of the imps leave the battle with the robed figure and flap hastily towards Caelyth, Snow and Ceruli. In the midst of their path to you, you see them disappear as well. The Lemures that were near the fountain all seem to crowd around Prince, eager to take down this interloper of a horse.

Atzir continues his charge, finally making contact with one of the Lemures assaulting the robed figure. A decidedly satisfying "Splortch" accompanies his strike as a Lemure groans in pain, falling off of the robed figure, but not before it had obviously done some damage as its bloody claws attest to.

Caelyth, Snow(Prince as well) and Ceruli all feel the promptness to act against these foul creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

Prince is now next to the fountain, surrounded by Lemures. He is essentially 45ft. from Snow, Ceruli and Caelyth. Atzir closed with the battle around the Arcanist and is 75ft from the rest of the group.

Combat order is:
    Atzir
    Snow(et al.)
    Caelyth
    Ceruli
    Bad guys
    Last edited by ReluctantDragon; 2013-02-07 at 11:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show