New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #873 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The only thing about this turn of events that upsets me is that it seriously cuts down on the probability of Belkar going vampire, which is about the only way I can see for him to get the WIS boost needed to cast 1st level spells.

Mainly because that's a vital prereq for something I've wanted to see ever since he threw an angry housecat at Tsukiko's face.

See if you can finish the progression.

1) Mr. Scruffy
    2) Magic Fang
    3) PROFIT!
    I think I have the solution to your riddle.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ultimate Duel Between Clerics has begun!
    Spoiler
    Show
    And not a single save was thrown that day!

I do love the contrast between natural strengths and stats against bookworming and spell buffs.
    Calling it now: Kilkil kills Belkar
    Edit: WRONG!

Calling it now #2
    Spoiler
    Show
    After the showdown at Girard's gate, the party will rush to Kraagor's gate to find it was in Durkon's home fortress-burrow-thing. They will complete the Prophasy, and Team Evil will come riding over the horizon slaughtering everything that gets in their way.

Not wrong quite yet!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    Hating mindless undead on principle makes perfect sense.

When you start to deal with those that retain all their mental faculties? Then there's a bit of an issue. Doesn't one setting have good-aligned elf liches, of all things?
    The Forgotten Realms has two types of good Liches: Baelnorn are elves who choose to become liches to serve the Elven community, while Archliches are good liches. Both are incredibly rare. (In 4E, Archliches are available as an Epic Destiny for PCs in the Arcane Power supplement. I'm not sure if Baelnorn were described or not.)

The difference between Archliches and Baelnorn on the one hand, and Vampires, Ghouls, Ghasts, Lacedons, Cannibal Zombies, Shadows, Wights, Wraiths, Cerebral Vampires, Paenenngallen and any other Undead that consumes the flesh, blood, brains, souls or life energy of living beings, in the process creating spawn of their kind, on the other, is that Archliches and Baelnorn a) are always volunteers; no one can be forces to become a Baelnorn against their will; b) they don't eat people; c) they contribute to their community by guarding ancient tombs and/or knowledge (I'd add Crypt Things as well); d) they don't eat people; e) they are incredibly rare; f) they don't eat people; g) in 4E, Archliches who reach 30th level and complete their Destiny Quest abandon their Undead bodies and enter the afterlife; Baelnorns eventually join the Seldarine as petitioners and abandon their Undead bodies; and finally, h) they don't eat people!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    In regards to the Giants' rant: Bravo Giant, not only are all of these people working against the interests of the story, they are exactly the sort of pain in the %$^ I hate playing D&D with. We have a standing rule at our table, "The DM may change any rule that is brought up at the table." If your elf ranger is immune to the sleep effect, you may not be, or the sleep effect may become an acid effect, who knows? these people kinda take over the forums here too. Go back and look at any comic update post. pages 1-2 are grats and wows, somewhere around page three people starting bring up rules points and by page 6-8 its practically a flame war. Some where after that someone posts the link to your statements about the rules are your fuzzy little plaything and you can alter them whenever you darn well please. Thread dies off shortly thereafter.

Thanks for all the rapid updates. I absolutely love seeing that little one box on my RSS feed!
    It's a bit jerkish, as a DM, to decide that a racial bonus that has been present since character creation should be met with overturning rules, thereby nullifying part of the reason to pick that race in the first place.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    (In 4E, Archliches are available as an Epic Destiny for PCs in the Arcane Power supplement. I'm not sure if Baelnorn were described or not.)

The difference between Archliches and Baelnorn on the one hand, and Vampires, Ghouls, Ghasts, Lacedons, Cannibal Zombies, Shadows, Wights, Wraiths, Cerebral Vampires, Paenenngallen and any other Undead that consumes the flesh, blood, brains, souls or life energy of living beings, in the process creating spawn of their kind, on the other, is that Archliches and Baelnorn a) are always volunteers; no one can be forces to become a Baelnorn against their will; b) they don't eat people; c) they contribute to their community by guarding ancient tombs and/or knowledge (I'd add Crypt Things as well); d) they don't eat people; e) they are incredibly rare; f) they don't eat people; g) in 4E, Archliches who reach 30th level and complete their Destiny Quest abandon their Undead bodies and enter the afterlife; Baelnorns eventually join the Seldarine as petitioners and abandon their Undead bodies; and finally, h) they don't eat people!
    4E (Open Grave) does manage to have Unaligned Vampires that eat people- Vampire Muses.

They find artists, inspire them to heights of creativity, and drink from them, a bit at a time.

The artists tend to die young as a result.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-02-27 at 05:04 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lightbulb Re: OOTS #873 - The Discussion Thread

I don't think the fight's over yet. There is going to be some kind of dramatic turn-a-round, and I predict that it's going to involve Malack's staff (in comic #871). He has a number of charges on that thing (what spells?), and perhaps this could turn the tide.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

It's a bit jerkish, as a DM, to decide that a racial bonus that has been present since character creation should be met with overturning rules, thereby nullifying part of the reason to pick that race in the first place.
    Yeah, houserules like that should be established from the start, and not changed until a new adventure starts.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    4E (Open Grave) does manage to have Unaligned Vampires that eat people- Vampire Muses.

They find artists, inspire them to heights of creativity, and drink from them, a bit at a time.

So the vampires are like plagiarists?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Forgotten Realms has two types of good Liches: Baelnorn are elves who choose to become liches to serve the Elven community, while Archliches are good liches. Both are incredibly rare. (In 4E, Archliches are available as an Epic Destiny for PCs in the Arcane Power supplement. I'm not sure if Baelnorn were described or not.)

Crypt Things were changed into those positive undead things from BoED anyway, and in all fairness so should baelnorn considering they are created through elven high magic rituals.

As for the fact that their diet is enforced on them and have no way of avoiding it, I don't consider that reasons for a moral gray ground. If I needed a liver and there was no transplant around but I knew a guy who had a match, killing him and taking his liver would never be considered anything but evil, even if I had no other way to survive. That is exactly what the majority of undead do on a daily basis. Intelligent once are doubly damned. They could seek at least seek destruction.
    Last edited by Nymrod; 2013-02-27 at 05:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

It's funny because Heal in videogames is usually either the most basic or the 2nd healing spell
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This may not contribute to the discussion but, I wanna say,
    I LOVE IT !!!

12. - Top - End - #222

Great strip! I know this fight probably isn't over yet, but GO DURKON! I knew you could do it! Awesome.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    So the vampires are like plagiarists?
    More like a supernatural version of Shakespeare's "dark lady".

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    In regards to the Giants' rant: Bravo Giant, not only are all of these people working against the interests of the story, they are exactly the sort of pain in the %$^ I hate playing D&D with. We have a standing rule at our table, "The DM may change any rule that is brought up at the table." If your elf ranger is immune to the sleep effect, you may not be, or the sleep effect may become an acid effect, who knows?
    Hmm. It sounds like your GM might find more enjoyment running Paranoia. In Paranoia the players do not have security clearance to know the rules of the game, and the GM is encouraged to change things just to keep them guessing! Paranoia is a fun game! Friend Computer says so! Your DM would find it much easier than playing Non-Fun Games. Only Commie-Mutant-Traitors like to run Non-Fun Games! Is your GM a Commie? I sure hope not!

15. - Top - End - #225

1. All the battle scenes so far (yes, even the ULTIMATE DUEL BETWEEN CLERICS) have kept me entertained, even if I'm more into the character-based plotting. I never think of OotS in terms of D&D anyway, so I've never thought along the lines of why doesn't Character X use Spell Y? or whatever.
    2. I think by now I should have learned to not try and predict what'll happen next. So I'll just sit back while the run of strips is going.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I am now going to rant:

*snip*
    It's a very well written story and it's great to see the characters' personalities shine through no matter what actions they take.
    I'm actually kinda sad that Durkon won't come to any compromize with Malack and that they have to fight, but bravo sir, they're both fighting like gentlemen as they were expected to.

I'm also amazed at the speed of these updates, afaik that's two sine I checked last week and another since this morning. I'm glad your recovery has been going so well.
    Now if you'll excuse me I'm waiting to see if Belkar's alignment chages. From Chaotic EVIL, to Chaotic Evil.

17. - Top - End - #227

ClericGirl

He may not get the most character development, but Durkon has shown time and time again that he is awesome.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I assume the artists get full disclosure ahead of time that their "muse" is going to drink their blood? And they make sure to keep the artist alive? Because otherwise it doesn't sound too different from some of the arrangements Lady Kazandra has with members of the Kargatane...

19. - Top - End - #229

Awesome strip. Nail bitingly exciting, and with excellent jokes.

Also one / day strips this week! Mind - blown!

20. - Top - End - #230

As for the fact that their diet is enforced on them and have no way of avoiding it, I don't consider that reasons for a moral gray ground. If I needed a liver and there was no transplant around but I knew a guy who had a match, killing him and taking his liver would never be considered anything but evil, even if I had no other way to survive. That is exactly what the majority of undead do on a daily basis. Intelligent once are doubly damned. They could seek at least seek destruction.
    It takes a vast amount of willpower to actively seek out your own demise. I really do wish 'not doing your best to die' would stop being declared evil so readily.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man, 75-150 damage to a character with no con modifier. Barring Gaseous Form, Malack is in some serious trouble here. One more of those and Malack's gonna need to fly fly fly away and hope Durkon doesn't follow.

But if he's a vampire lord (which there's evidence against in him requiring a protection from daylight spell), they're notoriously difficult to kill. They make the lich template look terrible by comparison, and we all know how hard they are to kill for good.
    You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.
    -Don Hertzfeldt

22. - Top - End - #232

I assume the artists get full disclosure ahead of time that their "muse" is going to drink their blood? And they make sure to keep the artist alive?
    I would think so- with the proviso that after the muse leaves, the artist's lifespan seems to have been significantly shortened.

Still, I could see an artist accepting the bargain with their eyes open- live fast, die young, leave a legend behind.

23. - Top - End - #233

SwashbucklerGuy

Awesomer and awesomer!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

I assume the artists get full disclosure ahead of time that their "muse" is going to drink their blood? And they make sure to keep the artist alive? Because otherwise it doesn't sound too different from some of the arrangements Lady Kazandra has with members of the Kargatane...
    I think vampire muses actually exist in folklore as fey. Ain't the leanan sidhe exactly that?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    Let me clarify: Vampires sometimes ask permission before they sire Vampire Spawn, but that's the exception. Ghouls, Shadows, etc, just create spawn from unwilling victims, who then repeat the cycle.

Let me repeat for emphasis: Vampires eat people. Every night. That is Evil.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

The fact that Malak has such a high potential for escape should he be defeated makes this scene ripe with character development potential. Durkon winning here would set up another nemesis dynamic should Malak take things personally or Durkon set out to finish the job, which would greatly increase the complexities of Durkon's character.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

It takes a vast amount of willpower to actively seek out your own demise. I really do wish 'not doing your best to die' would stop being declared evil so readily.
    There are two objections to be made. First, someone like Malack has a vast amount of will power by definition. Second, that in a world with a verifiable afterlife, demise in the mortal realm is not demise as such, but simply a transition to another state of being. Dying might hurt, but it is not the end.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

May I take the time to remind people that Heal is exactly as dangerous as Harm and that Clerics get a good Will save (as well as high Wisdom), so it's a bit early to be declaring anybody dead?
    Not only this, Xykon was smart enough to think of getting anti-positive energy ring, so why a cleric wouldn't think of the same? It should be obvious and priority #1 for Malack, especially if he only ever wanted to heal his allies...

Sensing switch in first frame of next comic :<
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would think so- with the proviso that after the muse leaves, the artist's lifespan seems to have been significantly shortened.

Still, I could see an artist accepting the bargain with their eyes open- live fast, die young, leave a legend behind.
    Blech. The artist would be better off becoming a Fey Pact Warlock in that case; they might be able to become a Feylord and live forever in the Eladrin Kingdoms. (Epic Destiny from Arcane Power.)

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    I think vampire muses actually exist in folklore as fey. Ain't the leanan sidhe exactly that?
    The Open Grave one is fey in some sense- looks like an eladrin.

Probably where they got the idea from.