New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

SOrry for double post:

The thing grants only a few spells you don't have f you are [magic] and the [not magic] bit needs rewritten. SOrry, suddenly busy! Just wanted to get my toughts out before I had togo

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

That is quite a bit more powerful than I intended for any of the backgrounds to be. My version on apprentice will be more along the lines of add 3 cantrips to spells known. Cast 1+ability mod/day. It would be equivalent to but lesser than the troubador's Magic Aptitude ability.

Edit: I intend for backgrounds to essentially serve the same purpose as regional feats but be equivalent in power to about a feat and a half. Any time they mimic a class feature or archetype ability, they must always be weaker, preferably no stronger than half the power of that ability at first level. Backgrounds also should not grow in strength as you level. They're minor perks, not bonus class features.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-17 at 08:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I see.
    I revise it to one level one spell, three level 0 spells. Each one once per day.

Keep the spell list though, to boost spell options for mages, or add spells for non-mages. Or let them take a non-magic archtype.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

no, DON'T keep the list. You're giving out far, far, FAR too many spells for something designed to be "a feat and a half".
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

For mages? They already have most of those spells, they gain only a handful.

For non-mages? They gets 4 spells a day.

Not crazy at all.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I'm NOT saying it's OMGBBQ op, I'm saying that it's beyond the scope outlined for backgrounds.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    I see.
    I revise it to one level one spell, three level 0 spells. Each one once per day.

Keep the spell list though, to boost spell options for mages, or add spells for non-mages. Or let them take a non-magic archtype.
    Except that Magic Aptitude doesn't allow 1st-level spells, so neither will the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    no, DON'T keep the list. You're giving out far, far, FAR too many spells for something designed to be "a feat and a half".
    I have to agree with PW. Adding a list of spells to the archetype spell list is really quite a powerful bonus.

Take "Avid Learner" for an example. It's functionally equivalent to Open Minded, but it grants one more skill point and doesn't take up a feat slot. I have considered changing it to 4 skill points +1 sp per level after 1st to make it a bit more attractive...

Most of the existing backgrounds definitely need to be rewritten now that I have more of the project completed. After I publish a few of the things that are almost completed, I'll focus on reworking the backgrounds.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm at a loss for how to make the non-magic archetype mages get any spells.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

... don't?

sorry, that was anti-helpful.

Are you sure there really is room conceptually to do this? From my perspective, going gish is already a core-supported concept. What would giving non-casters access to spells really add to the system as a whole to allow new concepts?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm at a loss for how to make the non-magic archetype mages get any spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I'm currently toying with the two general archetypes to give them some limited spell access for the magic classes.
    My initial thought is to give the green mage list to beastmaster, but all spells are +1 level (cantrips become 1st, 1st becomes 2nd, 2nd becomes 3rd, 3rd becomes unattainable). Trapsmith would have its own unique spell list that would be very, very limited and be focused around trap-like spells.

1This is pretty close to what the official version of Apprentice will be when I do finally post it.
    Apprentice
    You have served as apprentice to an accomplished spellcaster for a few years. Through your service, you have picked up a little knowledge and a minor knack for magic.
    • You gain Spellcraft as a class skill if you do not already have it.
    • Choose either Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the focus on this ability. You learn three cantrips from any one spell list of your choice. You may cast them a total number of times per day equal to 1 + the chosen ability's modifier.
      Special: If you have levels in a Magic class, these spells are added to your spells known. You know and can prepare and cast these spells from memory and do not need to copy them into a spellbook if you use one, and these spells do not count against your normal number of spells known. This an additional bonus to the 1+mod times per day that you can cast the cantrips.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-17 at 10:25 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, well that works too.

Just trying to be helpful, but I am not good at balance.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

On another note, I'm considering [Background] feats that require a particular background to take. These would build off of the appropriate background, effectively trading your feat slots for background progression.

Under this system, Precocious Apprentice would exist as a [Background] feat requiring the Apprentice background.

Yes, well that works too.

Just trying to be helpful, but I am not good at balance.
    I always appreciate input, even if it ends up not being something I use. At the very least, it gives me ideas and direction. I hadn't even considered the [Background] feat idea until considering your suggestion for Apprentice.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-17 at 10:32 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Formatting updates, minor edits, and several fluff additions throughout.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a quick note while I continue reviewing - Brawler has in the first sentence of it's description:

The brawler is a fast, agile skirmisher.
    And now you have an archetype named "Skirmisher". Just wanted to point that out in case you did not want that duality.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Adding three cantrips will make apprentice the go-to for spellswords. Even weak spells are nice to have, especially if unlimited.

I know, I need to stop obsessing over spellswords.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Just a quick note while I continue reviewing - Brawler has in the first sentence of it's description:

The brawler is a fast, agile skirmisher.
    And now you have an archetype named "Skirmisher". Just wanted to point that out in case you did not want that duality.
    I don't think it's really going to be a problem, especially when the Brawler actually does have access to Skirmisher.

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Adding three cantrips will make apprentice the go-to for spellswords. Even weak spells are nice to have, especially if unlimited.

I know, I need to stop obsessing over spellswords.
    Everyone has a favorite. It's not a problem.

Personally, I'd go for Military Training over Apprentice for a Spellblade Red Mage for the access to mithral full plate without spell failure.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

As flashy as the spellblade is, I have been re-reading the auger and really like it. Spirit surge makes them the most potent caster on the field. The limit on spells known is balanced by the limited lists inherent with the archetype system. A magus will still know more spells, but its not anywhere near the difference between, say, a wizard and a psion. Immediate action counterspells are great too.

Of course, this just speaks to the balance of the system. All three have great features and bring something to the party.

The magus gets many more effective castings per day, though, if you max-out the CL of every auger spell.
    Math:
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming 18 in the prime casting stat:
    1st level = 6(CL) x 7(magus castings per day)=42 motes of casting
    2nd level = 6(CL) x 7(magus castings per day)=42 motes of casting
    3rd level = 6(CL) x 5(magus castings per day)=30 motes of casting

totals to 114 motes.

used at minimum caster level it's:
    1st level = 1(CL) x 7(magus castings per day)=7 motes of casting
    2nd level = 3(CL) x 7(magus castings per day)=21 motes of casting
    3rd level = 5(CL) x 5(magus castings per day)=25 motes of casting

so 53 motes

The auger gets 48 motes + 4 (Wis mod)* 3(highest spell level)=60 motes.

I know you posted back awhile ago that you balanced it based on minimum caster level for the auger spells. The spontaneous casting versatility is definitely a factor as well. Not sure what the proper balance is, honestly. Its comparing a very limited list wizard to an equally limited psion. Given that the Magus may likely prepare some spells that get left unused with the auger's need to spend motes on other abilities...I'd say its not bad. The spontaneous/prepared thing always trips me up when evaluating power. Have to see how it plays out. Obviously the auger will have to conserve so as not too run out too fast. If you throw out max-level spells and counterspell every round you won't last long.

All of which Rizban already knew. Mostly I had to work the math out for myself to understand it and figured I'd put it here so others don't have to. My first version had a major math error that had things looking very unbalanced, but I caught it before hitting submit.

Will there be any mote-recharging backgrounds/items/archetypes/feats?
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-18 at 03:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

I calculated Augur motes by level based on the Magus' spell progression using SUM(spell level * minimum caster level) + 3, ignoring cantrips. So, for example, at 5th level, you get (6*1) + (5*3) + (3*5) + 3 = 6 + 15 + 15 + 3 =39. This gives it effectively the same casting frequency as the magus plus a small amount. Other class features drawing on the same pool is what mitigates the power, but I ran math for awhile trying to find a good balancing point for the mote totals I came up with.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I am still a little uncertain on the motes and CL. Do you 'augment' spells with additional motes to raise the CL above the minimum required, or are they always cast at your CL?

IE: A 6th level auger casts fireball (spell level 3, minimum CL 5). He spends 5 motes (equal to the minimum CL). Does the fireball do 5d6 damage or 6d6?

I think I am reading things in that aren't there based on wanting to assume its similar to psionics, when you said its actually based more on the spell point system, which I have never used.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Domain spells - curious as to why you bumped the levels of some spells up. Does create water need to be a first level spell? (water domain) Produce flame as a second level isn't as bad, but still doesn't seem like it is strong enough to warrant the boost.

I know there are only so many core options that fit a given theme, but would it be better to offer more 'like this spell but [element type] instead?

Would even a magus take fire trap? Same with continual flame, a magus might scribe it, but an auger or spellblade would never bother spending a precious spell known on it.

I understand that the domain spells are a work in progress, so all comments meant lightly.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I am still a little uncertain on the motes and CL. Do you 'augment' spells with additional motes to raise the CL above the minimum required, or are they always cast at your CL?

IE: A 6th level auger casts fireball (spell level 3, minimum CL 5). He spends 5 motes (equal to the minimum CL). Does the fireball do 5d6 damage or 6d6?

I think I am reading things in that aren't there based on wanting to assume its similar to psionics, when you said its actually based more on the spell point system, which I have never used.
    It's meant to be that you spend motes to cast equal to the minimum spell level, but the spell itself functions based on your caster level rather than the number of motes spent.

I've been playing with rewriting the ability to be more clear, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that at the moment.

Domain spells - curious as to why you bumped the levels of some spells up. Does create water need to be a first level spell? (water domain) Produce flame as a second level isn't as bad, but still doesn't seem like it is strong enough to warrant the boost.

I know there are only so many core options that fit a given theme, but would it be better to offer more 'like this spell but [element type] instead?

Would even a magus take fire trap? Same with continual flame, a magus might scribe it, but an auger or spellblade would never bother spending a precious spell known on it.

I understand that the domain spells are a work in progress, so all comments meant lightly.
    If you didn't spot the change, Priests are up to four domains now, granting a decent spell list. Even if there are a few duds on there, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Create Water, I dunno, I might switch it out. Produce flame is already a 2nd level Fire domain spell in 3.5. I didn't change it.

One of the things I'm doing is exactly what you just suggested. I'm writing a number of new spells that I feel would be balanced and that fit the themes. While I'm including utility spells, I'm trying to avoid a lot of the really powerful ones that exist even at low levels that make other characters feel worthless. While I tried to pull the non-casters up a bit in power, I'm also trying to make the casters' spellcasting a little bit weaker while giving them flavorful class abilities as a sort of consolation gift.

Hey, I like fire trap. I've always used it as a druid whenever I've played one to ward our party at night. Nothing wakes you up quite like the door exploding when someone tries to sneak in.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-19 at 05:22 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

(Wombat's Review of) Combat Classes(Part 2!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Gladiator

Role: The gladiator is a combat master and dominates a battlefield. He focuses on special attacks in combat and maneuvering around his enemies to get where he needs to be. Additionally, he has some versatility, allowing himself to specialize in a slightly different way each day.

It's exciting to hear about versatility in a melee class. I often get bored with fighters and such because each attack is always the same. I often go spell caster or rouge just to escape repetitive game play. To put more versatility into it is attractive, and what I see a lot of fighter rebuilds trying to accomplish. Let’s see how it goes...

{table=head]|
    Base Attack[div]Bonus[/div]
    |
    Fort[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Ref[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Will[div]Save[/div]
    |Special|
    Combat[div]Versatility[/div]
    |
    Weapon of[div]Choice
    [/div]
    1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |Archetype power (lesser), combat versatility, skillful maneuvers |
    Bonus Feat
    |
    |
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Weapon of choice|
    |
    +1
    |
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |Archetype power (moderate), fancy footwork |
    Bonus Feat
    |
    +1
    |
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |Unorthodox maneuver|
    |
    +2
    |
    5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Advanced maneuver|
    Bonus Feat
    |
    +2
    |
    6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |Archetype power (greater), master maneuvers|
    |
    +3
    |[/table]

Hit Die: d10
    Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Should this class also have Diplomacy since it has Intimidate? Or is that redundant? I wonder if Archetypes give you additional skills...A quick check shows me yes they do. Sweet. Very nice. I wonder if there will be a "diplomatic archetype". Why don't I see ride in any of the three combat classes?

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of The Gladiator.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A gladiator is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, the whip, bola, and net, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Light and Medium, showing me that your progression per class is consistant, with Heavy being the Sentinel and Light being the Brawler. Skills get less as you go from Brawler to Sentinel. Shields the same, less to more, and weapons, less to more. Hit points, less to more too. Interesting. Lets see if the critical attacks perk from the Brawler match up to the other nerfs he recieves compared to this and the sentinel.

Archetype: At 1st level, the gladiator chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the class table. Once made, this choice is final.

Combat Versatility (Ex): A gladiator is treated as a Fighter of his level for the purpose of gaining Fighter feats. At 1st, 3rd, and 5th levels, a gladiator gains a bonus Fighter feat for which he meets the prerequisites. Once per day a a full-round action, a gladiator may stop to focus his mind, allowing him to swap any or all of these bonus feats for other fighter feats for which he meets the prerequisites. He cannot choose to lose a feat that is the prerequisite of another feat or ability. If he takes damage or is otherwise distracted during this round, he cannot focus his mind and is unable to change his chosen feats.

Well named, and an interesting ability. It makes sense from a mechanical perspective, but its hard to imagine a fighter willfully ignoring certain training and remember others at will. It's just a strange action. Perhaps you have a different explaination of it? Is sort of like picking spells at the beginning of the day, save with Feats?

Skillful Maneuvers (Ex): A gladiator gains a circumstance bonus equal to his class level on all bull rush, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, and trip attacks, Intimidate checks to demoralize an opponent, and opposed Strength checks when using a net. This bonus applies when he makes or attempts to resist such attacks.

Nice. That's a lot of manuvers and even a skill check. Interesting choices.

Weapon of Choice (Ex): The gladiator chooses a single weapon with which he is proficient. He gains a circumstance bonus on attack and damage rolls with that weapon equal to half his class level, rounded down, and the chosen weapon becomes immune to sunder and disarm attacks as long as the gladiator wields it. This ability only applies to a single weapon, even if the gladiator is using two-weapon fighting to use two of the same kind of weapon.
    Once per encounter, the gladiator may reroll a single attack roll when using this weapon, but he must take the second roll, even if it is worse.
    Once per day, a gladiator may spend five minutes practicing with any weapon with which he is proficient, allowing him to select a new weapon as his weapon of choice.

These are cool, and I like how it gets better as the class raises in level. Does this stack with magic weapons and masterwork? I assume it does, as a proficitecy usually carries over to an enchanted weapon, but I figured I'd ask. It's a little heavy on things you get to do with it, but since its the only thing you get for level 2, it works.

Unorthodox Maneuvers (Ex): As a full-round action, the gladiator may make a wide swing attack, a lunge attack, or a counter-flank attack, which allows him to target multiple squares with a single blow. A wide swing attack targets a square and the two squares on either side of it; a lunge attack targets a square and the square behind it, from the point of view of the fighter, effectively giving him reach; and a counter-flank attack targets a square and the corresponding square on the opposite side of the gladiator. The gladiator makes one attack roll at his full attack bonus, and uses that result for all targets in the affected squares.

This is by far my favorite ability I've read. This is really cool.

Fancy Footwork (Ex): When taking a 5-foot step, a gladiator may move up to 10 ft.
    A gladiator may also use an immediate action to move 5 feet. This does not count as a 5-foot step and provokes attacks of opportunity for movement as normal.

So wait...does this allow normal 5 foot step to become a 10 foot step, or does this add 5 feet of movement period, or what's going on? I'm just confused by a possible confliction of terms in the ability between the first sentence and the second set of sentences...

Advanced Maneuvers (Ex): At 5th level, a gladiator no longer provokes attacks of opportunity when making a bull rush, grapple, overrun, or sunder attack; if he fails to disarm or trip an opponent, the opponent may not attempt to disarm or trip him in return; and he may feint or demoralize an opponent as a move action. He may also fold a net for use as a full-round action rather than taking 2 rounds to do so.

Cool cool cool. A little underwhelming for 5th level, but I like it.

Master Maneuvers: Once per encounter, a gladiator may choose to use one of these abilities. All abilities are activated as a free action unless otherwise stated.
    • Shake It Off (Ex): As an immediate action, the gladiator may remove one of the following conditions from himself, even if the condition would prevent him from normally doing so: blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, entangled, fatigued, nauseated, paralyzed, poisoned, sickened, staggered, stunned, and any forms of fear or he may heal 3d6 damage to one ability score. Upon using this ability, any non-lethal damage the gladiator has suffered is immediately healed. This ability may only be using during combat.
      This is very nice. I love it. However, this seems to be the most useful of the three. It will likely see more love than the other two.
    • It's All in the Wrist (Ex): As a swift action, the gladiator may make a full attack at his highest base attack bonus. He may take an additional 5-foot step before this attack and select targets as normal.
      In addition to his normal attack?
    • Quick Footwork (Ex): For three rounds, a gladiator's threatened squares increase as though his reach were increased by 5 feet, but he can still attack squares adjacent to him. If an opponent provokes an attack of opportunity in a threatened square outside of the gladiator's normal reach, he may take a 5-foot step towards that opponent as part of the attack of opportunity so that he can make the attack.
      Okay, this is pretty neat too. I prefer the 3 round benefits for all three instead of this dynamic, but not all jellos fit the mold, I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Overall, I prefer this class over the brawler based on its versatility and better armor, health, and weapon proficiencies. It would be cool if at higher levels I could get more than one weapon under the weapon of choice bonus, but over all I like this class a lot. I can't wait to consider what archetypes might compliment it when I get to this section. Which at the rate I'm going will be a long time from now...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-03 at 10:28 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to find feats that could boost caster levels to problematic heights when combined with the auger's abilities. Given that a level 6 auger can cast a spell at CL 9 once a day, I'm seeing how much higher I can push that.

Using fireball for a base.
    6 level
    +3 great surge
    +1 fiery burst feat (obtainable at lvl 3, competence bonus, Complete Mage, p. 43)
    +1 cali****e (I guess the censor doesn't like that name) elementalist: fire (also allows you to exceed the 10d6 cap by 1, obtainable at lvl 1, applies to a limited list of spells, untyped bonus, Races of Faerun, p. 161)

= 11d6 fireball once an encounter

Scorching ray:
    6 level
    +3 great surge
    +1 fiery burst feat (obtainable at lvl 3, competence bonus, Complete Mage, p. 43)
    +1 primitive caster (adding a material component, Frostburn, p. 49)

= CL 11 once an encounter, for 3 rays of 4d6 ea.

If you can get empower spell down to +1 you can make those rays 6d6 ea, for an impressive 18d6. (metamagic school focus: evocation + spell focus: evocation for example. Adding in empower means you've spent 5 feats to do it. Spend a few more and I bet you can get maximize. Toss in ocular spell for fun, too.)

It takes obscure feats to pull off, so its probably not a big issue, but you CAN pull off some big blasts with the auger, potentially ending encounters from round 1.

Edit - I suppose a spellblade can pull a similar trick by stack his eldritch blast damage onto a spell 1/encounter, but it then becomes single-target. Also, spellblades don't have the extra spell level to play with metamagic.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-22 at 03:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

[B]Class Skills
    Should this class also have Diplomacy since it has Intimidate? Or is that redundant? I wonder if Archetypes give you additional skills...A quick check shows me yes they do. Sweet. Very nice. I wonder if there will be a "diplomatic archetype". Why don't I see ride in any of the three combat classes?
    Diplomacy felt like a "skillful" skill when I was writing these, so I left it off of the combat classes. As to a lack of ride, it isn't there, because it just didn't fit the concepts in my mind. Looking back though, it's definitely an oversight to not have it. I'll probably be adding it to Brawler and Gladiator shortly. It really doesn't fit the Sentinel though, so he won't be gaining it.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
    Light and Medium, showing me that your progression per class is consistant, with Heavy being the Sentinel and Light being the Brawler. Skills get less as you go from Brawler to Sentinel. Shields the same, less to more, and weapons, less to more. Hit points, less to more too. Interesting. Lets see if the critical attacks perk from the Brawler match up to the other nerfs he recieves compared to this and the sentinel.
    That is exactly the dynamic I was trying to achieve there. I'm glad someone spotted it.

Combat Versatility (Ex):
    Well named, and an interesting ability. It makes sense from a mechanical perspective, but its hard to imagine a fighter willfully ignoring certain training and remember others at will. It's just a strange action. Perhaps you have a different explaination of it? Is sort of like picking spells at the beginning of the day, save with Feats?
    It was intended to function sort of like picking prepared spells, yes. The concept was that he would review the situation and choose to use tactics suitable to the situation, ignoring less useful tactics. I limited it to 1/day, because floating feats can be really powerful.

Skillful Maneuvers (Ex):
    Nice. That's a lot of manuvers and even a skill check. Interesting choices.
    Yes, he's meant to always have an extra bonus on stuff that would let him win in a gladiatorial match. In the end though, it equates to 1.5 times the normal bonus provided by the Improved X feats.

Weapon of Choice (Ex):
    These are cool, and I like how it gets better as the class raises in level. Does this stack with magic weapons and masterwork? I assume it does, as a proficitecy usually carries over to an enchanted weapon, but I figured I'd ask. It's a little heavy on things you get to do with it, but since its the only thing you get for level 2, it works.
    Yes, it stacks. I saw Weapon of Choice and Skillful Maneuvers as being the two core abilities of the class, so they do have a bit more oomph than most of the abilities.

Unorthodox Maneuvers (Ex):
    This is by far my favorite ability I've read. This is really cool.
    I have to give Gnorman credit for this ability. But, yeah, I like it too.

Fancy Footwork (Ex)
    So wait...does this allow normal 5 foot step to become a 10 foot step, or does this add 5 feet of movement period, or what's going on? I'm just confused by a possible confliction of terms in the ability between the first sentence and the second set of sentences...
    It's meant to change the 5ft step to a 10ft step.
    The second set is supposed to be an additional set of abilities, one which I'm going to change anyway. I'll rewrite this ability to make it more clear. Nevermind, I just redid it before I finished going through your review. I'll have it posted with the next update.

Advanced Maneuvers (Ex):
    Cool cool cool. A little underwhelming for 5th level, but I like it
    5th level really turns out to be more of a progression of existing abilities for most classes rather than giving new things. While it's a bit underwhelming, I don't really have a problem with that dynamic.

Shake It Off (Ex)
    This is very nice. I love it. However, this seems to be the most useful of the three. It will likely see more love than the other two.
    Again, I have to credit Gnorman with this ability.

It's All in the Wrist (Ex)
    In addition to his normal attack?
    Yes.

Quick Footwork (Ex)
    Okay, this is pretty neat too. I prefer the 3 round benefits for all three instead of this dynamic, but not all jellos fit the mold, I guess.
    Making them all have a three round duration would be a bit overkill, especially for the second one.

Overall, I prefer this class over the brawler based on its versatility and better armor, health, and weapon proficiencies. It would be cool if at higher levels I could get more than one weapon under the weapon of choice bonus, but over all I like this class a lot. I can't wait to consider what archetypes might compliment it when I get to this section. Which at the rate I'm going will be a long time from now...
    Honestly, I like this class a lot but would personally rather play a brawler. I'm glad that I was able to write classes that can appeal to different people and each be a viable choice. That was a real effort. I hope I'm able to maintain that throughout.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-22 at 03:38 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to find feats that could boost caster levels to problematic heights when combined with the auger's abilities. Given that a level 6 auger can cast a spell at CL 9 once a day, I'm seeing how much higher I can push that.

Using fireball for a base.
    6 level
    +3 great surge
    +1 cali****e (I guess the censor doesn't like that name) elementalist: fire (also allows you to exceed the 10d6 cap by 1, obtainable at lvl 1, applies to a limited list of spells, untyped bonus, Races of Faerun, p. 161)

= 11d6 fireball once an encounter

Scorching ray:
    6 level
    +3 great surge
    +1 primitive caster (adding a material component, Frostburn, p. 49)

= CL 11 once an encounter, for 3 rays of 4d6 ea.

If you can get empower spell down to +1 you can make those rays 6d6 ea, for an impressive 18d6. (metamagic school focus: evocation + spell focus: evocation for example. Adding in empower means you've spent 5 feats to do it. Spend a few more and I bet you can get maximize. Toss in ocular spell for fun, too.)

It takes obscure feats to pull off, so its probably not a big issue, but you CAN pull off some big blasts with the auger, potentially ending encounters from round 1.

Edit - I suppose a spellblade can pull a similar trick by stack his eldritch blast damage onto a spell 1/encounter, but it then becomes single-target. Also, spellblades don't have the extra spell level to play with metamagic.
    That's definitely not an intended ability of the class, but I'm going to take a cop out on this one. It's not my responsibility to eliminate every possible avenue of game breaking optimization in my homebrew. I'm doing what I can to limit it within my content itself, but it would be a nigh impossible task to account for every other class, feat, ability, spell, etc. out there, especially when you consider all the other homebrew material available out there.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a dm should look at a sheet carefully and ask questions if they say 'all 3.5 available' for character building. I was just seeing how much I could break the damage. Honestly, just tossing out one 9d6 fireball per fight is pretty cool on its own without pushing it to the max.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I've been considering a kicker penalty to the spirit surge ability of the auger. I had considered eveything from fatigued to sickened to stunned to inability to use motes in the following round. I think I'm going to leave spirit surge as is and add a fatigued penalty to Great Surge that lasts 3 rounds.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe add a 'take the penalties even if normally immune to fatigue' rider? Or a chance to daze, similar to a wilder.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Fatigued really doesn't affect spellcasters much, and I hate having abilities that rob the user of his future actions. I think sickened for three rounds is probably the best option. It hurts but not enough to make the ability worthless. It means you can still toss out that 9d6 fireball, but you'll have problems in the following rounds if you do. Hmm... I believe I'll do Spirit Surge with a 5% chance of becoming sickened for 1 round and Great Surge with a guaranteed sickened and -2 to save DCs for 1d3 rounds.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Brute archetype - capstone additions - Gladiator "Brutal Weapons"

I see the utility of being able to make any weapon the weapon of choice, but the +2 to maneuvers in place of the STR/CON boost seems odd as +4 strength would cover a lot of the same ground anyway and give other advantages. I don't see it ever being used other than when you don't have your weapon of choice. What was your thinking here?

Edit - also, a gladiator/breathstealer would have brutal grapple checks.

Let's see, 6 (BAB) +5 (18 STR+2 enhancement) + 6 (Skillful Maneuvers) + 4 (counts as large from Powerful Grapple) + 4 (improved grapple, requires IAS, handy for any time improved grab doesn't apply) = +25 on an opposed check, 14 higher than a non-breathstealing gladiator.

Just interesting to see the numbers since I spent some time recently building a tetori monk in pathfinder. I haven't used grappling enough to comment on if +25 is high, low, or just right.

edit 2 - wish there was monster by CR listings on the SRD
    CR 5 manticore +15, troll +14
    CR 6 girallion +17, ettin +17, wyvern +15
    CR 7 flesh golem +15, hill giant +20

Well, presuming you can grab a few misc bonuses to boost the check a bit it looks like a reasonable chance of success against level-appropriate 'bruiser' monsters. Cool. Plenty of other options too, so you aren't pigeon-holed like said tetori monk.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-30 at 11:48 AM.