New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Malack and the Mummy Minions

Yet another Malack thread, but at least there's some alliteration in the title.

Back in I Guess You Had to Be There, specifically in the 3rd panel, Nale and Sabine walk in on a discussion in progress about the mummies Malack raised (through the use of his staff). It isn't entirely clear to me what Malack's relationship with the undead is. After the more recent comics, the exchange has me wondering about this aspect of Malack. He's normally against the creation of undead? Perhaps it is mummies specifically? We now know he's a vampire, and his earlier "children" would have been, too. He just turned Durkon into one, so he has no problem with creating vampires.

He worships a death god, whom he believes may have gifted Malack with the naturally mummified corpses to use. He plans to use the empires of Blood, Sweat and Tears to kill thousands of people a day in sacrifice to Nergal. Could he somehow believe undeath is an abomination to Nergal which prevents his deity from becoming more powerful? If so, why would he animate the mummies? How does he reconcile this with his own exsistence?

Perhaps he only has a problem with mindless undead? A distinction is made between them and his "willing service" in Calm, Orderly and Efficient, but that's in reference to Tarquin, not Nergal. How would he react to meeting a non-vampire intelligent undead? Such as a ghoul or a lich? What about Xykon, who raises zombies all the time?

I suppose the question which underpins all of those would be is Malack nuanced, or simply a hypocrite when it comes to undeath? I would like to know what people think about this.
    I'm the ranger
    Killing a scarab

- The Cure Light Wounds
    from Three Illusion (Figment) Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    And make no mistake, the real couter-argument to the idea that any wavering from historical demographic verisimilitude needs to be explained... is Roy.
    As an author, stooping to provide an explanation for any of those things in the story is to tacitly acknowledge the belief that they are Other that have no business being in the story without a good reason. And **** that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Malack and the Mummy Minions

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post

Back in I Guess You Had to Be There, specifically in the 3rd panel, Nale and Sabine walk in on a discussion in progress about the mummies Malack raised (through the use of his staff). It isn't entirely clear to me what Malack's relationship with the undead is. After the more recent comics, the exchange has me wondering about this aspect of Malack. He's normally against the creation of undead?
    Rich clarified when we got the Big Reveal that the phrasing there was meant to be misleading without the knowledge of what Malack is. He's normally against using undead as slaves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Good post, and good answer from Kish.

The title should have been "Malack's Mindless Mummy Minions", though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thanks for the heads-up, Kish. I found the relevant post, thanks to ThePhantasm's Index of the Giant's Comments. It wasn't even in a comic discussion thread as I had feared it would be. Those get too long too fast for me to ever hope to review them.

Looks like Malack would absolutely loathe the approach taken by Xykon and Redcloak. As for Tsukiko... I don't want to think about that.

Also, curses! I knew I could have fit another M in the title.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2013-03-08 at 10:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Seeing as the original question has been answered, it reminded me of a question I had about the mummies. Why do they randomly repeat words that the people around them say? Is that normal mummy behaviour?

6. - Top - End - #6

AssassinGuy

I don't think the original question has been fully answered. Yes, we found out that Malack is opposed to mindless undead, but that doesn't explain the mummies quite. What is his reason for being opposed that he is willing to make an exception if Nergal "provides an abundance of a scarce resource"?

At first shake I'd say it is because he is undead himself and doesn't like the idea of someone like himself being mindless and enslaved, but to me that doesn't explain the exception he makes. But I can do no better than that.

As to the mummies repeating things, I'd say it is a sign of their servitude, that they repeat because they must serve their master. Their actions come from him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rorrik View Post
    Yes, we found out that Malack is opposed to mindless undead, but that doesn't explain the mummies quite. What is his reason for being opposed that he is willing to make an exception if Nergal "provides an abundance of a scarce resource"?
    Personally, I feel his opinion is more The Dead Are People Too. It's just that having a bunch of subservient undead corpses show up just as there are a crapload of traps to spring would strike a Cleric as Divine Providence, IMO.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2013-03-09 at 02:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think Mummies are actually intelligent undead, so animating them and then keeping them enslaved bothered him.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Edit: And two more posts sprung up while I was typing. Perhaps I'll amend this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charity322 View Post
    Seeing as the original question has been answered, it reminded me of a question I had about the mummies. Why do they randomly repeat words that the people around them say? Is that normal mummy behaviour?
    So, I just remembered that standard mummies aren't actually mindless. They do have an intelligence score. Clearly that's why I didn't put another M-word in the thread title. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyway, my guess is that zombies already are known for shambling around only saying, "brains." The mummies are a step up, having a better vocabulary. Having them parroting what they hear served a purpose in The Pit of Despair. They weren't picky, as Sabine wasn't the one controlling them, and they also parroted Tarquin and Haley just before they were destroyed. Roy also perceives they were being directly controlled, which explains why they didn't attack him or ever voice thoughts of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorrik View Post
    I don't think the original question has been fully answered. Yes, we found out that Malack is opposed to mindless undead, but that doesn't explain the mummies quite. What is his reason for being opposed that he is willing to make an exception if Nergal "provides an abundance of a scarce resource"?

At first shake I'd say it is because he is undead himself and doesn't like the idea of someone like himself being mindless and enslaved, but to me that doesn't explain the exception he makes. But I can do no better than that.
    From what The Giant wrote, it was specifically, "casual creation of of undead to use as canon fodder," Malack was against. Perhaps he thought he might treat them "right" and their need was great enough? The ends could justify the means? He did feel something at the loss of the first mummy. Maybe he will have a reaction upon learning the other five were destroyed, and Roy will be right under Nale on his enemies list.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2013-03-09 at 01:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charity322 View Post
    So that they could cause Vaarsuvius to freak out and run off. That's all.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think Mummies are actually intelligent undead, so animating them and then keeping them enslaved bothered him.
    I don't think they were intelligent. They are just like zombies, although they have been mummified from the desert dryness.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    I don't think they were intelligent. They are just like zombies, although they have been mummified from the desert dryness.
    Mummies are very dumb but not mindless zombies. SRD entry says 6 INT. They can speak Common.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.