New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Triggering content in #875

To me it wasn't even perceived as a joke. It was used more in reference or to show that Malack, much like Thog, has a massive fanbase and will rarely lose a substantial amount of fans no matter what evil atrocity he performs. Also to show it for Tarquin, since it's implied that he's thrilled about this secondary purpose after he's gone. Not to say that I didn't notice this similarity, because I did, but it's really more up to perception. For me it was more referential then making fun of. To each his own, I guess.
    "oh little ice cream friends! thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    Why are we starting a new argument?
    Can we just post this over and over until the thread dies?
    !

3. - Top - End - #183
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    You realize that its equally valid to be offended by people being offended at the strip as it is to be offended by the strip itself?
    I don't see you listing the fact that those offended condemned an artist as a 'hack' and all the other negative things said about Rich for authoring what they thought was offensive. If thats ok then telling people who offend me to grow up is, while not productive, allowable.
    Sure. Someone could be offended by people being offended at the strip. You can even get further recursive if you'd like. That doesn't change or invalidate my argument; someone could be offended that people were offended, but that doesn't mean they have the right to tell them they shouldn't feel that way.

As far as people calling an artist a hack and saying negative things about the artist or art - I admit that there are more constructive ways of communicating criticism, but that wasn't my focus. People belittling others for how they feel - which is a part of bullying - is an issue for me. It really gets me upset and so that is what I was responding to.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2013-03-02 at 12:07 AM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

I have no intention of getting involved in this argument, but I would like to leave a little quote here for your edification.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so ****ing what?' —Stephen Fry
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have the right, or I should have the right to criticize people for the opinions they voice. Saying that they are morons or butthurt is unproductive and mean but I really should have that right (In life not on this forum since thats flaming. Rich gets to set his own rules.)

People's opinions are not automatically sacrosanct just cos they have them. They have the right to have them, sure, and I wouldn't take that away. But I, or anyone else, gets to have the opinion that they're being silly.

My problem with your statement Chambers is the blanket assumption that all opinions and feelings should be protected as a matter of course. Allowing criticism is how we speciate those that should have protection, like finding Holocaust jokes offensive?, and those that shouldn't, like finding the characterization of Elan offensive to blondes (<< Made up example).

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    I have no intention of getting involved in this argument, but I would like to leave a little quote here for your edification.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so ****ing what?' —Stephen Fry
    Weasel I knew someone was going to quote that. To be fair Fry wasn't saying that anyone who uses that phrase is just whining. He was saying anyone who ONLY can use that phrase to justify their complaint is whining.
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2013-03-02 at 12:34 AM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

6. - Top - End - #186
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

OK, it seem at this point that we're just stirring up things that had settled down. I responded with my explanation about the comic, the OP understood it, we all learned a valuable lesson about cultural sensitivity. Going back and further berating people who took one side or the other of a settled argument is not productive. Further, I don't want this to slide further into a flamewar or other infraction-worthy areas, so I'm going to take the advice of several of the posters here and lock this.

Thread locked.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~