New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default The New Star Wars Comics from Dark Horse

Was wondering what people thought about the new classic era Star Wars comic thats now up to issue 2 as I type this?

Also what people thought about the new Star Wars Legacy Era comic involving Ania Solo (Prisoner on a Floating World series)?

Oh as in after the Cade Skywalker comic series I meant if you were wondering...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The New Star Wars Comics from Dark Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Was wondering what people thought about the new classic era Star Wars comic thats now up to issue 2 as I type this?
    Well issue 1 had Vader dealing with the ramifications of the destruction of the Death Star and the Rebels fully understanding they have quite the problem with spies in their ranks.

Ideology of Madness talked about this back when the first issue was released but I was wondering why there seems to be little or no interest in this?

Also what people thought about the new Star Wars Legacy Era comic involving Ania Solo (Prisoner on a Floating World series)?
    So I was wondering what would you like to see in this particular series?

Her following in the footsteps of her nefarious ancestor Han Solo or go political ala Leia?

Which of Han and Leia's kids is she a descendant of since by my last count there's only two options unless they had another kid following the Vong and Jacen going nuts incidents?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

It would be stretching credibility a bit for the thirteen year old Anakin Solo to have fathered a child before his death, and for the parent to have not come forward in the past 15-odd years or so since then.

I suspect Ania is descended from Allana, (and thus from Jacen) rather than from Jaina, who's already married to a Fel and expected to be the ancestress of Empress Marasiah Fel.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It would be stretching credibility a bit for the thirteen year old Anakin Solo to have fathered a child before his death, and for the parent to have not come forward in the past 15-odd years or so since then.
    There's still the possibility of cloning since either the Vong or someone else noting whose remains they have or did he ascend to join the force when he died?

I'm surprised given they did the whole clone of luke with the hand he lost that they haven't thought about that avenue to follow for another series of books!

I suspect Ania is descended from Allana, (and thus from Jacen) rather than from Jaina, who's already married to a Fel and expected to be the ancestress of Empress Marasiah Fel.
    Wait has that actually happened in one of the latest books?

The Jaina bit I mean, as for Allana that still leaves wondering how Ania ended up where she is when the first issue is released, finally managed to pre-order the first 2 so looking forward to seeing where that goes!

5. - Top - End - #5

Jaina gets married in Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Aren't they gonna likely lose the rights to Star Wars soon since, yanno, Disney owns Marvel and they're pretty much sending the expanded universe to a "nice farm down in the country"?
    Last edited by tbok1992; 2013-03-04 at 05:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

There's a lot of debate on the subject- at least on the Star Wars forums I've been to.

Given that they're continuing to publish Legacy-era comics, it would be a bit of a surprise to me if they "alternate universe" the EU. Though maybe not that much.

Disney might decide that, while they're writing their own stories, the EU itself is a cash cow worth milking.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Aren't they gonna likely lose the rights to Star Wars soon since, yanno, Disney owns Marvel and they're pretty much sending the expanded universe to a "nice farm down in the country"?
    There will be skilled writers who give it quality stories, though, and plenty of other fandoms for it to have crossovers with every day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    That depends on the contract between Lucasfilm and Dark Horse, which I doubt any of us are familiar with.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well issue 1 of the new star wars legacy is apparently going to be released on the 20th of March with some bearing an alternative cover.

The Imperial Knights will be involved hopefully there will be previews but I'm wondering if there will be any podcasts talking with those behind this comic?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2013-03-11 at 07:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Issue 3 of the new classic star wars series has been released and it kicks off with Han behaving like he did before Lucas altered the who shot first scene!

Leia doesn't like Luke's new girlfriend... Luke on the other hand is showing he learnt how to evade being tracked the Han Solo way!

I am really liking this new series, how about you?

Any of you picking this up?

What do you think about it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I read the first two issues and it bugs the hell out of me. When I saw Leia in an X-Wing I got worried. In issue two she is leading a Wraith squadron type unit. This makes no frelling sense.

They are basically doing what bugs the hell out of me about comics, and a lot of TV shows. They are taking a character with a known skill set and having her do things that or beyond their ability because they want to make them more heroic or action packed.

Leia is not a fighter pilot. She is a diplomat, politician and leader. Those are her strengths. A secondary skill set is espionage. This was brought out in the EU novel. It was also logical. After all Leia had to act as a spy when she was in the senate. After it was dissolved and she was branded a terrorist by the Empire her diplomatic missions would be more reliant on spy craft.

She can hold her own in a fight like in her Death Star rescue or on Endor. Going on the Endor mission was not out of character. Her ability as a leader came more into play after she was branded a terrorist by the Empire. She was a part of the command structure at Eco base. She would have gained skill in soldiering. She would have been the person to negotiate alliances with other factions for trait, alliances, and building new rebel outposts and bases.

A mission like Endor is completely in character for her. Becoming a spec forces X-Wing squadron commander is not. It is a specialized skill set. Yes she can pilot a ship. I'm not saying she is completely unskilled at piloting. However being a fighter pilot is a world of difference from piloting a personal space craft. Not to mention the tactical/strategic knowledge that goes with it when compared to the tactical skills of an infantrymen.

Essentially they made Leia into one of the boys. Instead of writting stories that would include her skills sets they had to make her just like Luke, Han and Wedge.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

As long as we get to further explore the Legacy time period, I'd like it.

More Fel Empire pleaaaaaase. Imperial Knights 4-ever!! <3

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    I read the first two issues and it bugs the hell out of me. When I saw Leia in an X-Wing I got worried. In issue two she is leading a Wraith squadron type unit. This makes no frelling sense.

They are basically doing what bugs the hell out of me about comics, and a lot of TV shows. They are taking a character with a known skill set and having her do things that or beyond their ability because they want to make them more heroic or action packed.

Essentially they made Leia into one of the boys. Instead of writting stories that would include her skills sets they had to make her just like Luke, Han and Wedge.
    She's the leader of the new unit and is trying to live up to the reputation but as shown is far from equal to her fellow pilots'.

I figured she was trying to become one of the "boys" but will eventually realise that as you've said this isn't her style the next issue should make her realise that.

So is Han and Chewie being portrayed properly?

The podcasts I've been listening seemed more focused on Luke and Leia but I was wondering what you'd like to see in this series?

Oh and tomorrow the first issue of the new Star Wars Legacy series should be released and makes me wish I could run Edge of the Empire in that setting!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    She's the leader of the new unit and is trying to live up to the reputation but as shown is far from equal to her fellow pilots'.

I figured she was trying to become one of the "boys" but will eventually realise that as you've said this isn't her style the next issue should make her realise that.

So is Han and Chewie being portrayed properly?

The podcasts I've been listening seemed more focused on Luke and Leia but I was wondering what you'd like to see in this series?
    Even if that is the direction Dark Horse is taking with Leia it still does not work for me. It still does not make any sense why Leia would be chosen to lead such a unit in the first place. Would not Wedge, Hobby Kleven, or Wes Janson be not only more qualified for that role?

I would hope the new comic series would focus on connecting Star Wars to Empire. Running plot lines like the following:
    finding a new base.
    Expanding the rebel alliance.
    Luke working his way through the ranks and becoming a squadron commander.
    Luke and Wedges formation of Rogue Squadron.
    Luke exploring his connection to the force.
    Han becoming more entangled with the rebels.
    Han growing in a reluctant position of responsibility and leadership.
    Leia being a direct leader of her part of the alliance.
    Jabba's bounty on Han effecting the characters missions.
    What happened on Ord Mantel.
    Never mentioning the prequel movies in any way ever.

Hopefully the new series does this. In part they already hit one of my points. Leia was in the X-Wing with Luke and Wedge scouting a system for a new base. I just did not like how it was done, and the plot that it led into.

Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to Han and Chewie's portrayal. I found the Leia's story arc way to distracting. On top of that I have become as dissatisfied with comics in general. The story arcs I've been reading have been utter crap in Marvel. Skimming through DC has also raised my pessimism. I am at the point I was in the late 90s, when every thing was trying to be like Cable. My cynicism is at an all time high, which is making me very picky.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post

Leia is not a fighter pilot. She is a diplomat, politician and leader. Those are her strengths. A secondary skill set is espionage. This was brought out in the EU novel. It was also logical.
    Don't we see her flying a starfighter (alongside Luke's) as early as Splinter of the Mind's Eye?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Don't we see her flying a starfighter (alongside Luke's) as early as Splinter of the Mind's Eye?
    Yes. She flies a Y-Wing for all of one chapter. Its crash basically sets off the plot (not her fault, though).

...For those unfamiliar with the novel, it was published the year after ANH, and written as a potential low-budget alternative to ESB. Highly subject to Early Installment Weirdness... Vader talks too much, and Luke's crush on his sister is mentioned a bit too frequently for post-RotJ audiences.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The new Star Wars Legacy series was released yesterday... has anyone read it?

Care to comment about it?

Still waiting on my copy to arrive!