New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: OOTS #876 - The Discussion Thread

As much as I am a fan of Vampires (White wolf, anyone?) It would be kind of heartbreaking to see Durkon become one, since it would turn him into a being so at odds with what he is now.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

And so Durkon goes into the dark.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Or maybe Xykon's arrival will actually do some good for the Order by sparing Durkon from vampirism?
    This. Xykon has been missing for quite a while. Roy starts saying something about Xykon and- speak of the devil, there's Xykon stepping through Dimension Door.

.... Which could force both teams to team up against Team Evil in an epic final arc, filled with action and emotional moments. Everybody and their opposites getting moments of fighting back-to-back and snarking with each other. Yes please.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    Did I miss the part where Leeky Windstaff did?
    Also, yuck. :P
    He was a druid

Or is? I don't remember if he died or not...
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Durkon's plan really was just hitting Malack with a hammer? Oh boy. I think he might actually be down for the count.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

frown Re: OOTS #876 - The Discussion Thread

Boo. Exactly what I didn't want to see. =(

I wish there were a D&D method for removing vampirism so this wouldn't be so wrenching. Ah well - I trust the Giant's narrative capabilities.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    If Malack were a Yuan-Ti Abomination with exactly the minimum levels in Cleric to cast Harm, he would have 9 racial hit dice, 11 class levels, +7 LA from his race and +8 LA from vampire, putting him at ECL 35.
    Wait a minute, isn't ASMODEUS level 37-ish?
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I just realized... as a vampire, Durkon won't be able to drink alcohol.
    Why?

On the other thought, it just came to me that Tarquin was instructing a friggin' 200-year-old snake tricks on how to grapple his opponent in a combat. Is there no end to his preparedness?
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2013-03-02 at 06:17 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    He was a druid
    Or is? I don't remember if he died or not...
    I think he ran away with Pompey.
    Also, good point. I just kind of mentally lumped him in as a divine caster.

Minor question: how does Malack keep his balance when he's grappling Durkon? Looks like it takes a lot of upper- and/or mid-body strength.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-03-02 at 06:17 PM.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Canisius View Post
    I wish there were a D&D method for removing vampirism so this wouldn't be so wrenching. Ah well - I trust the Giant's narrative capabilities.
    Destroy, Resurrect.

Any miraculous reinforcement must show up in this tunnel in the next... 5 to 20 rounds, assuming extremely high constitution? So, uh, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #131

Two strips previous Durkon stated that killing the vampire and raising him will cure vampirism. So even if there's not a D&D reason, there's a house rule way for this world.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Woulden't resurrecting be it? From the way Malack was talking it sounded like if he was revived he would be who he was before he was a vampire. I assume it would be the same for him.

Who would be able to cast such a spell, though...

13. - Top - End - #133

PaladinGuy

Definitely all over as far as Durkon "winning" this fight--he could theoretically have Word of Recall racked (which would likely take him far away from the fight to the detriment of the OotS while saving his life), but the (minimum) two negative levels he just took (unless Malack is refraining from draining his levels intentionally to keep him as powerful as possible after turning) would likely wipe that out. Also, the unknown secret plan that Elan took Durkon aside for could come into play, but does anyone *really* want to owe their survival to a "clever plan by Elan?"

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No, I'm implying that Malack thinks this is the last play, and chose his actions accordingly.

Perfect time for a last minute field goal and extra time! No, wait, he's still enthralled, right? So, V?

Poor Durkon. Things are looking bad. But its always darkest just before dawn, right?

Right?

This fight has ebbed and flowed, with the upper hand changing with each new strip. Great as this strip is, I hope that pattern continues in 877. To lose Durkon would be bad enough. But to lose him like this...well, that's not a happy ending, for him at least.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I'm not familiar with D&D grapple rules, but could Durkon still cast Thor's Might while grappled? I'm not sure if that's a "regular" spell or some sort of spell-like ability Thor's clerics get.

I know he said the ceiling was too low, but better to be crushed while destroying Malack's body than becoming a vampire, I would think.

16. - Top - End - #136

Well, even with the low ceiling, maybe he can still use Thor's Might to shake Malack off? Grappling would make that difficult, assuming that it's just a re-named Righteous Might, but maybe?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Did I miss the part where Leeky Windstaff did?
    Also, yuck. :P
    Technically, he's not a cleric. And with that, I nominate myself for the Eugene Greenhilt Award in Pointlessly Specific Semantic Nitpicking!

EDIT: I should've known taking the time to crack a joke would get me ninja'd.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2013-03-02 at 06:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, do any of you see the weird folds/bulges in Malack's robe after it's confirmed he has no legs? It seems as though he also has 6 arms as well...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrahim View Post
    Woulden't resurrecting be it? From the way Malack was talking it sounded like if he was revived he would be who he was before he was a vampire. I assume it would be the same for him.

Who would be able to cast such a spell, though...
    Malack. (Not a chance.)

Redcloak. (Not a chance at all in the 666 layers of the abyss.)

The High Priest of Thor. (Not likely.)

Assuming Durkon crumbles to dust when killed as a vampire, it would have to be a high level cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Fool! What torments have you unleashed upon the playground! The black gates of the abyss have been thrown asunder and soon all forms of monstroties shall rush forth! Repent! Repent I say! Before the end times! Before it is too late! I can feel the evil in my teeth!

20. - Top - End - #140

It happens to all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    By the way, do any of you see the weird folds/bulges in Malack's robe after it's confirmed he has no legs? It seems as though he also has 6 arms as well...
    Nice catch!
    Last edited by Burner28; 2013-03-02 at 06:22 PM.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Holy Word is a 7th-level spell, and Durkon has already said he doesn't have anything useful left above 4th level. So yes, you're right, it would be a good time, but Durkon doesn't have the spell to use!

Anyway, oh, snap...surely this fight can't be over so quickly?
    In the same strip he said that, he strongly implied that...

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I'm not familiar with D&D grapple rules, but could Durkon still cast Thor's Might while grappled? I'm not sure if that's a "regular" spell or some sort of spell-like ability Thor's clerics get.

I know he said the ceiling was too low, but better to be crushed while destroying Malack's body than becoming a vampire, I would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Well, even with the low ceiling, maybe he can still use Thor's Might to shake Malack off? Grappling would make that difficult, assuming that it's just a re-named Righteous Might, but maybe?
    Darn it!

Anyway, given how important size modifiers are in opposed grapple checks (as Belkar discovered against Windstriker), attempting to cast thor's might might be Durkon's best move here (depending on whether he can manage a spell with somatic components while grappled, or whether thor's might has somatic components in the OOTSverse).

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can totally picture Xykon entering the room at this moment and making some sort of comment along the lines of "Get a room, you two"...

Can't wait to see more of this 9-part mega update fest!
    If you want to see it, here's my Mario fancomic: Wanderers of the Mushroom Kingdom.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    Oh No Durkon! Durkon!

You're just teasing us again Giant, right?

Right?
    If he's teasing us again, I'll be severely disappointed. I mean, Bozzok already lampshaded it before, this "how can the good guys keep doing that" ('that' being escaping in the last minute). Durkon interrupting Belkars vamp-turn was okay. V or Haley+Roy interrupting Durkons vamp-turn will be a tiresome thing, and a stretch as well.

Durkon has his prophecy, so we know he won't live when he returns (alright, the prophecy thing was true for belkar, too), and becoming a vampire fits very well. Not to Durkons personality of course, but Durkon is still the same boring dwarf he was when he started. He had his big shiny moment here in the fight, proving his stubborn good alignment and his personality - now it's time for a change.
    Durkon - no longer bland but filling!

What I'm most interested in, is how Durkons personality will change. Vamp Belkar = Old Belkar. Boring.
    But Durkon will be turned into something nearly diametrically opposed to his old self.

Edit: Maybe he will oppose Malack and rejoin the order as a vampire, trying (but ultimately failing) to be the stereotypical vegetarian vamp, or hiding his affliction from Roy and the others. And first he kills Belkar - there can't be two openly evil characters in the party.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2013-03-02 at 06:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Definitely all over as far as Durkon "winning" this fight--he could theoretically have Word of Recall racked (which would likely take him far away from the fight to the detriment of the OotS while saving his life), but the (minimum) two negative levels he just took (unless Malack is refraining from draining his levels intentionally to keep him as powerful as possible after turning) would likely wipe that out. Also, the unknown secret plan that Elan took Durkon aside for could come into play, but does anyone *really* want to owe their survival to a "clever plan by Elan?"
    If Elan has counseled Durkon on what to do when being level-drained, that could get really interesting.

I'm wondering if there's any signifigance in the bite Malack's using. With Belkar, he chomped down on the head, but here, it looks like he's going for the "standard" neck bite.
    Fanservice? I did write I wanted a sexy biting scene.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2013-03-02 at 06:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Technically, he's not a cleric. And with that, I nominate myself for the Eugene Greenhilt Award in Pointlessly Specific Semantic Nitpicking!

You are the valedictorian NO MORE!!
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Now the prophecy will be Fulfilled. Either durkon will return home as corpse or vampire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And Possibly destroying it.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post

He can cast spells while tied up, so maybe he cast spells while grappled? It's not much, but it's at least a chance.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Oooh, Thor's Might could work. Durkon said the ceiling was too low for it before, but if he's not upright...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I'm pretty sure Durkon's motivation for attacking Malack was a combination of dislike for undead, and a sense of duty to what the party was trying to accomplish (i.e. protect the gate (however that would actually have worked out)). The fact that it was Belkar was largely irrelevant.
    He's a Lawful Good cleric. I wouldn't want him played any other way. You see undead, you attack. Especially if you caught the undead chomping on a party member.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Haven't posted in a long while, but this is forcing me to come back.

Poor Durkon. Poor gruffy, irritable, sweet Drukon. If this is indeed how the dual Durkon prophcies are fulfilled, it's been long suspected by many. But still heartwrenching. Doubly so to be by one he considered a friend.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb