New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Return to Ostenz Manor-IC

It has been some time since the two of you had been here. The small town just south of Ostenz Manor was never a particularly happy place. Most of the buildings were made of gray stone, the area was almost always overcast, and the people, while not unhappy, were stoic and grave in nature. Though prosperous, the inhabitants of Ostenton were reserved and proper.

But Ostenton has changed dramatically since you were last here. As you walk down the main road into town, you see a low fog hangs over everything. The buildings, once pristine and well-kept, now seem neglected, even run down in some places. The sky is full of dark, almost black clouds, and though rain has not yet started, it seems it will very shortly. Strangest of all, there is no one on the road. There was always some guards on the roads leading into Ostenton, even in the worst of weather. That they should be absent, now, is odd indeed.

Looming above the town, gracing a nearby hill, is the ivy-covered Ostenz Manor. Though it is hard to tell with the heavily overcast sky, it is unlikely you would be able to make it to the Manor before night falls. With these conditions, it might be a better idea to stay the night here in town. Of course, you've waited very long, and the dreams don't seem to be getting any less...well...

The two of you stand at the edge of town. What is your next move?
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Return to Ostenz Manor-IC

Urdadd freezes at the sight of the manor. The echoes of screams long silenced bounce around inside his mind. He moves closer to Acaleus and jams his eyes shut.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus gently rests a hand on Udadd's shoulder. A soft fatherly voice comes from his lips, It is alright Urdadd. Nothing will harm you while I draw breath. Now, do you want to rest the eve here...or would you like to press onto towards home even after night has fallen? I leave the choice to you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lets stay here for the night." Urdadd says in a quiet scared voice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus nods, and begins to look around. Alright Urdadd. Now we must simply find hospitable shelter for the eve. Perhaps the inn is still open, or atleast standing. Stay close to me now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes sir." Urdadd says keeping close and watching the shadows.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

As you walk down the main road of Ostenton, the fog clings to your feet, wetness beginning to soak through your pants. The buildings to your left and right are obscured, mere shadows of dwellings and shops. From out of the white fog, a sign becomes visable.

The Diamond Crown

It's one of the inns of Ostenton, and seems in somewhat better repair than most of the buildings. Acaleus remembers the Diamond Crown as being a well-regarded establishment, back when the two of you lived here. Well priced, and the locals said the cook made a delicious chicken stew. In any case, the lantern above the sign is lit, and the inn appears to be open for business.
    No news is good news.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"This seems like a good place..." Urdadd says softly. He reaches over and slowly opens the door.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus nods in agreement with Urdadd's suggestion. Hopefully they have a hearth going and the kitchen still open. We could use a bit of warmth and food before setting off again.. His eyes watching the door closely. This place is unsettling him more than he would like Urdadd to know.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Urdadd opens the door into the Diamond Crown, and is promptly greeted with a crossbow pointed in his face.

A quick scan of the room shows at least three families in the inn, each of the men armed with swords. Standing in front of him is a rather burly man, dressed in a blacksmith's uniform, with a loaded crossbow leveled at Urdadd's face. A small fire is lit in the fireplace, shadows dancing across the walls. The blacksmith looks at Urdadd not with anger, but with fear. "Yer not one of them, but yer not one of the survivors either. Who are you two? You've got ten seconds."
    No news is good news.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The insidious voice of Nero slips into Urdadd's ear. "Kill them...Look at that crossbow... he wouldn't hesitate to do the same to you..." the only thing that stops Urdadd from immediately putting an arrow through his eye is Acaleus being there, and knowing that he would protect him.

Still, he grows tense and takes a step back. His hand twitches towards his quiver.
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2013-03-13 at 05:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus looks to the crossbow and then the man holding it. A part of him wishing he was more of a war wizard than a tutor. Blowing the man to chunks would be much safer than speaking. He lets out a soft breath before speaking.

We are travelers passing through the village. We are tired and hungry. Seeing buildings, we hoped to find sanctuary from the elements and perhaps food for aching stomachs. All we seek is one eve's refuge before we depart in the morn. Unfortunately, we do have much to offer as payment for any hospitality shown, but perhaps we can come to some sort of arrangement.

I assure you that we are no threat. If you grant us safe passage we would be more than willing to surrender out weapons until we leave in the morn. Now, if you would please, lower the crossbow from my son's face. I would rather not lose him as I have already lost too many from violence.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The man regards both of the travellers, and slowly steps back, lowering the crossbow. In the flickering light of the fire, his eyes seem to flash a soft blue, very briefly. "Well, ye best both be getting inside then. Be quick about it. Night'll be falling soon."

Once the travellers had entered and the door closed, the man with the crossbow sighed. "My appologies about the reception. Things have been bad around here lately, and we can't be too careful. The name is Branden. I used to be the blacksmith round here, until the dark times came." He shook his head sadly. "Can't imagine what cause you two'd have to be coming round here. Anyone with sense stays far away."
    No news is good news.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus looks to the man with tired and comforting eyes. We never have been the sensible type, unfortunately. I am Arcadius, and my son here is called Ursuul. We are passing through on our way to visit relatives a few village's over. Perhaps you could fill us in on what is going on here to make people so...cautious?

Bluff: (1d20+4)[8] *used 1 Inspiration point to add my factorum level to the roll*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Branden glances at Acaleus, and lets a half grin cross his face. "Of course ye are, of course ye are. I'm sure ye have yer reasons for being here, but yer still mad for coming. But if ye must know..." The former blacksmith motions with his hand, and a young lass, most likely no more than 13, brings over three mugs of an ale. Branden takes one mug, and drains half in a single go. "If yer here, ye probably already know 'bout the rough bit o' business thirteen years ago. Lord and Lady up there on the hill, had themselves a diamond mine, and a bunch o' slaves what mined it. Well, one day, the slaves take it into their heads that they're more and stronger than the Lord and Lady. So they heads up to the hill, and kills the whole family. Noble child too. A right shame it was." Branden doesn't sound overly saddened by the events, any more than one might morn the loss of a prized pig. He takes another swig, and continues. "But here's the thing. Them slaves...didn't get the idea all by their lonesome. They dug down, real far down, farther down then any man has a right to dig, pushed on by the Lord's greed. Seems they found something other than diamonds down there. Now...well, this town's cursed. Them slaves, they won't die proper. Every day, they come back. Same time, at sunset. Mostly it's just a few o' them, wander about town in a rage, killing folks until they die. But on the night o' the deed, they come in full force, trying to tear the town to shreds." Branden finishes off his drink, and motions to the assembled townsfolk. "We're most of what remains. A dozen more in the basement, and perhaps twenty sick or dying upstairs. We hold this ground as best we can. It's our home. We'll not abandon it."
    No news is good news.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Acaleus looks to the man somewhat compassionately.Perhaps if the mines could be sealed off this plague would end. Maybe the influence or curse would subside. Though, with so few it would be unlikely to succeed.

He lets his hand gently squeeze Urdadd's shoulder for a moment before continuing. As for your wounded. We may be able to help them recover. It is the best we can offer as payment for our boarding here. So if you would like to show us to them, we can begin paying our debt.

He gives a soft look to Urdadd. Remember son, it is our duty to help those in need. It is also proper to repay any debts completely and with good intention. Too often does the world see men who have hoarding it so that those who have not must suffer for their lack.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

In his mind, Urdadd is already planning out the order he would need to kill everyone in the room, in order to take out as many of them as he could before they could react. At the mention of healing the wounded Nero flashes a mental image of Urdadd smothering someone with a pillow. When Acaleus looks him in the eye and reminds him of his duty though, his mind clears somewhat. "Yes Father." he says with a nod and follows the blacksmith upstairs.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Healers too? Pelor's light may shine on even the cloudiest of days." Branden nods, and leads the two upstairs. "Though I'm not sure ye'll be able to do much. Those that are wounded only cling to life, and those that are sick, well, we do not have the means to cure them. An affliction of the spirit, it seems, rather than of the body." As you reach the top of the stairs, Branden motions you into one of the rooms, and you see what he means.

There are four beds in this room. Occupying three of them, men writhe in pain, their bodies in various states of disrepair. All have been wounded in vital areas, and their breathing is ragged and harsh. The occupant of the fourth, by contrast, seems not to have been touched in the slightest. Yet she, for it is a she, is pale as driven snow, and her breathing is shallow, barely noticable. Branden sighs. "Y'see, those that fight the undying, they usually end up like those three if they survive. Ribs broken, flesh ripped off by teeth. I've been blessed by Pelor with some healing, but not enough to make them whole. Just enough to ease the pain. Then, there's the ones like her." He motions to the woman in the fourth bed. "Mage. Came through a couple years back, said she was studying 'preternatural occurances'. She went up to the mansion. Only one who we ever found that did. Hasn't moved a muscle in two years, but she's still living. She'll drink if ye bring her water, and eat if ye put food in her mouth. Other than that, nothing."
    No news is good news.