New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Master Chief, The Fascist's Hammer?

Hello, I was just wondering about this lately. I didn't put this in the Games thread, because I am not talking about the games. The topic I wanted to propose doesn't have to do with the games, rather the lore. I am wondering about how hero worship will allow us to forgive anything.

Everyone knows about the Master Chief, and the SPARTAN programs. About how they saved the Earth, the human race, and the Universe. I am more concerned about the what if aspect.

What if the Covenant never showed up. Had never made contact with the Human race. The SPARTANs where used in their intended purpose. The subjection and eradication of dissenters. I am not an expert on the lore of HALO, to be sure. From what I can gather, the state of government was in a civil war. The SPARTAN program was created to win that war. If I got my facts right, the people where rebellion for their right to govern themselves. The UEG (I think that is the name of the Government) enlisted ONI to create the SPARTANs. The SPARTANs would have crushed any resistance to be sure. Thus, would the SPARTANs be held with the same since of hero worship? The question that I think about sometimes, SHOULD the SPARTANs be held of as heros? Their creation was intent for subjection of freedom. In so far as, the SPARTANs, didn't save the human race out of choice. They saved the world, because of orders.

2. - Top - End - #2

RogueGuy

Default Re: Master Chief, The Fascist's Hammer?

The very program itself is the very idea of how we shouldn't idolize SPARTANS.
    SPARTANS I- Soldiers volunteered for it.
    SPARTANS II- Kids where kidnapped, indoctrinated, and experimented on.

Although created in response to the War with the Covenant. This shows how far the UEG would go.
    SPARTANS III- Kids made orphans during the war with the Covenant. Trained, equipped and sent to die in suicide missions.

This goes to show what kind of Government the UEG was.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    The very program itself is the very idea of how we shouldn't idolize SPARTANS.
    SPARTANS I- Soldiers volunteered for it.
    SPARTANS II- Kids where kidnapped, indoctrinated, and experimented on.

Although created in response to the War with the Covenant. This shows how far the UEG would go.
    SPARTANS III- Kids made orphans during the war with the Covenant. Trained, equipped and sent to die in suicide missions.

This goes to show what kind of Government the UEG was.
    Combine that the catastrophic failure rate (where failure means, at best, crippled and bound to a wheel-chair), though the third generation had slightly safer augmentations available.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If I remember rightly the SPARTANs would never have gone public if the Covenant hadn't attacked. ONI made knowledge of the SPARTANs public in an effort to increase moral.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Yes, there where going to be a secret army the government could use to keep order.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Pfft check out Forward Unto Dawn and Halo 4 or Johnson's history, the Spartan program was started to make a super black ops weapon to fight human separatists and already active in the early parts of the Covenant war.

Seriously about the only thing keeping the story out of being fighting Earth based tryanny has been that the idea that repression and dirty dealing can be left to complain about when you aren't facing extermination by a nominally technologically superior foe.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-03-20 at 12:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Insurrectionists were sort of a terrorist group and were the ones the UNSC ws fighting against. Their complete disregard for innocent lives never made them good guys, I don't know there really was a clear good guy vs. bad guy element to the war. Anyway, as was said before the SPARTANs were to be a top secret black ops team and used to eliminate the Insurrectionist threat while minimizing casualties.