New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bhaakon's Brinewall Legacy IC

Eirik Evensong

"Oh for the love of---", Eirik cursed when Lethos made his attack and then bolted out of the house. Then again, it looked like that the shack was about to come down on all of them. Not stopping to see if the ratling was still alive, he rushed and grabbed the little monster by its tail. "If you want to keep living, don't put up a fight", he said as he rushed out, hopefully with the squealing, frightened little thing firmly in his grasp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or in other words, grapple Skitterfoot if he puts up a fight: (1d20)[17]

Regardless of success or failure, run out of the house.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos's blade drives into the cowering ratling, but it just doesn't bite as hard as the elf expects. For those able to see such things, and weak necromantic aura around Skitterfoot fades, the spell apparently expended.

Theodoric wisely sprints past the scene and through the door as the house continues its collapse, swiftly followed by Kasuka and Eirik, who pauses only long enough to grab Skitterfoot by the tail and yank him along.

Jaggedly broken rafters break loose and fall into the shack, quickly followed by moldering shingles and walls falling inward. Caleban and Lethos will have to act fast to avoid being crushed under the debris.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you can't say that I didn't warn you. Those who posted about escaping (or preparing to, in Kasuka's case) made it free and clear. Those who took other actions will need to make a DC12 reflex save. Otherwise:

Lethos (1d6)[6] damage and buried
    Caleban (1d6)[4] damage and buried
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-03-29 at 08:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban starts getting out at the first continuing ramblings of the house. If the ratlling makes it, he will interrogate later.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have explained in the OOC why I have not posted so far. If you still want the save (1d20+1)[4]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Broken beams threaten to impale Lethos and Caleban, while clouds of plaster and fungus spores choke the atmosphere of the collapsing hut. The pair make a mad dash for the open door, dodging falling debris and growing gaps in the floor to dive through the portal just as the entire roof of the hut caves in behind them. Safe, for the moment, the pair roll to their feet.

Though caught in Eirik's grasp, Skitterfoot is too incensed to give up the fight. "My house, my house! Ruined! Sneak thieves and house-wreckers, die!" He rants in his high-pitched voice as he twists and contorts in a vain attempt to bite the hand firmly gripping his disgusting, hairless tail

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"ENOUGH!" Eirik barked at the squirming little beastie, shaking him violently like Skitterfoot was nothing but a rag doll in his firm grasp. "Listen up, and listen closely. I'm going to start asking you questions now. If you fail to answer, I will spin you by your tail until you do or your tail breaks off. If you lie to me, I will slap your ugly, misbegotten hide against a tree. And gods help me if you so much as think about casting a spell, because then I will let the elf here 'play' with you!" the Ulfen man yelled angrily at Skitterfoot. Clearly, his patience was running out, and the better angels of his nature were the only things that now kept him from slitting the ratling's throat open. "But not before I cut off your limbs and tongue", he snarled, pulling out one of his daggers.

"Do we have an understanding?" he asked, staring Skitterfoot angrily right in the eye. His grip tightened on the ratling's tail. "Three... two...", he started counting, slowly starting to rock the ratling from side to side, preparing to pick up speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate! (1d20+3)[12]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, yes, Skitterfoot help, Skitterfoot help!" The bedraggled ratling mewls pathetically as it chokes back its nausea from the violent shaking. "Don't smash me, don't!"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good boy", Eirik said with a deceivingly warm smile and stopped rocking the ratling. "Now, first question: there are goblins in these swamps. How many and where they are hiding?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive... (1d20+5)[20]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't know, don't know!" The ratling flinches pathetically, afraid that it's ignorance will be its undoing. "Skitterfoot not leave house. Goblins stay away."

His dieous little face suddenly brightenes, "but old master did, yes, yes, yes! The map! Find the map!" He eagerly gestures towards the crumbled remains of the shack, in the heap of debris that was once the laboratory.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik looked up at his comrades and nodded. As far as he could tell, the frightened little monster was telling the truth. Only now they would have to dig through a pile of shattered plaster and rotting timber to find the map.

"Where in the laboratory?" he asked as he walked closer to the pile of debris, his hold still tight on the ratling's tail. In his left hand, he kept flicking the dagger. In case Skitterfoot decided to do something very, very stupid. "Tell me."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban just barely escapes from the debris. Full of splinters and various building materials, he dusts himself off and continues growling at Skitterfoot.

"Yes. Find the map. Quickly."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

"My nest, my nest!" squeals Skitterfoot, indicating one of the few sections of wall still standing.

You tear away the plaster to reveal a rat's nest of tangled grass, gray hairs, and shredded paper situated between the lab and lavatory, one of the drier part of the house, and thus sturdy enough to survive the collapse more or less intact. A small collection of scroll cases and shiny baubles have been horded in the wall beside the filthy nest. Skitterfoot's treasure nook holds 33 gold worth of coin (jealously sorted and shined to a mirror finish by tiny hands and, you suspect, tongue), a masterwork dagger in a handsomely etched steel scabbard (worth 15 gold in addition to the price of the weapon), and five spell scrolls written out in a cramped, wobbling hand.

Spellcraft DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two of the scrolls contain caster level 5 cure light wounds spells

Spellcraft DC 22
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two scrolls of False Life, CL7. One scroll of Water Walk, also CL 7.

Perhaps most interesting is a detailed chart of Brinestump swamp, painstakingly drawn out and colored by hand and annotated in the same script as the spell scrolls. Special attention is paid to the labyrinthine waterways of the Soggy River delta, and a few points of interests, including the goblins' village, are clearly marked.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"Very good, Skitterfoot", Eirik complimented the captive ratling when it led him to its nest. The coin could be put to good use, and Eirik couldn't help but whistle in appreciation of the finely-made dagger. The map seemed to be intact as well, and while still holding Skitterfoot with one hand, Eirik studied the spell scrolls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Read magic should reveal the same details as a Spellcraft check, yes?

"I think we can put all of these to good use", the bard said as he handed the scrolls over to Caleban. "Is there anything else we need to ask our most helpful little guide here?" he asked his companions, still holding Skitterfoot by his tail. "And Lethos... He is my prisoner. What happens to him is my decision now. You try and kill him without me saying so, you owe me weregild", he added, giving the elven swordsman a stern look. He was ousted from his ancestral home, yes. But Eirik was still Ulfen, by spirit and blood and heart. And despite their reputation, the Ulfen did not kill their prisoners and hostages needlessly.

"And what I decide to do with him... that depends on Skitterfoot himself."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-03-30 at 07:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos brushes off debris as the interrogation proceeds. He seems genuinely surprised that anything came of it. He takes a turn examining the scrolls.

Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft (1d20+7)[26] - first spoiler
    spellcraft (1d20+7)[24] -second spoiler

To Eirik: "If you claim him, he is yours, though as such you must answer for any crimes he commits in your care. I doubted we would get anything of worth from him, but you have proven correct this time. I admit I was wrong." His face remains stern, it was not an admission he cared to make.

Pointing to the scrolls, "A fair number of enchantments. These two are minor healing. These two grant a protective ward by drawing on necromantic energies. This one is an abjuration that allows one to walk on water. I cannot use any of them myself."
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-30 at 08:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban spends some time cleaning himself, with a look of annoyed concentration. When the spoils come about, he eyes the critically.

"I can use those healing scrolls. Not just for me, generally. And there might be more interesting things in there. Doubt their owner can do anything with them now."

He points at the house.

"But first, let me clean up this."

He puts some clean water in his wound to clan it and a bit of whisky, grunting. He then bows and murmurs.

"Lady of the Stars, lend me your help. I walk in your road and I was wounded. Help me stay on your path."

As Caleban talks, the wound slowly closes.

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW (1d8+1)[7]

He then goes to search the remains of the house, as much as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception take 20, total 27.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Caleban carefully sifts through the wreckage, but finds nothing of worth. It seems that everything Skitterfoot didn't see fit to preserve in his cache either rotted away in dank hovel or was destroyed in the collapse.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Kasuka simply shrugs, finding that the attention was now centered on himself. "Though I do not particularly care whether or not the creature lives it is not as though we are not doing some great service to the world by ending his life. Do as you please, so long as it does not offend the sensibilities." Pausing a long moment he thinks to add, "And do not show it in Ameiko's presence. There is little reason that she should be exposed to such a disgusting thing." Despite his words, Kasuka watches Skitterfoot out of the corner of his eye, while pulling a rope from his bag expectantly. Regardless of the thing's utility, it was not wise to leave such a dangerous element out in the open.

Anxiously, he scratches at the bites and scratches received from the swarm of vermin. They did quite a number on his legs, embarrassing given the nature of the battle.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"Do not kill Skitterfoot, no! You come here, you invade, you ruin home, and now you kill me! Not fair, not fair!" squeaks the ratling as dangles limply in Eirik's grasp.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

"What promise can Skitterfoot give that would make us spare Skitterfoot's life?" Eirik asked, lifting the ratling so he could look into the frightened little creature's beady eyes. "Had Skitterfoot listened and spoken freely, Skitterfoot would still have his home and treasure. But Skitterfoot attacked. How can we trust that Skitterfoot won't do so again if we let Skitterfoot go?"

Truth be told, Eirik was loathe to kill the creature now. Misbegotten and twisted by magic as the ratling may be, but without his scrolls and out in the open he was not much of a threat. There would be no honor in killing a helpless prisoner. And some part of Eirik's being wanted to believe that the ratling had attacked out of fear and suspicion. That Old Megus had mistreated her companion.

"If Eirik tells where Skitterfoot could find a new home, will Skitterfoot leave and not come back?"
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-03-31 at 07:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, yes! Leave and not return! Never ever. Nothing here now, not shelter, not treasure! Sneak-thieves take everything!" Skitterfoot blubbers.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Erik, don't kill Skitterfoot, why do we need to. If he attacks us again then he'll get no mercy, but we can spare his life. He's had his use now let him get on with his life. We've got what we came for." Theodric obviously doesn't want the creature to be killed.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos

"While you are questioning it, see if it knows anything of the wrecks marked on the map. Not many details here, so if they are listed the must be of some note."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Encouraged by Theodoric's words, Skitterfoot is quick to grease the wheels of his release by offering up information."Big boat, smashed and empty. Old and rotting." he volunteers, pointing to the westernmost wreck. "Smaller boat. Home for nasty goblin witch." He points at the other wreck.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos's eye narrow. "Goblin witch? What else do you know of her?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

"Other goblins fear! She keep horse and dog! Eat goblins!" The ratling adds, eager to secure his release.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban was back from his search just in time to hear Skitterfoot. His eyes also narrow.

Goblin witch, hah?

"Go on, Skitterfoot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20+7)[10]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

@Caleban
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cowardly ratling seems genuine. You're sure that he'd say anything to save his skin, but he has no reason to lie (at least not in a way that would alert you of potential danger, like the goblin witch).
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-04-01 at 08:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos shakes his head. "A goblin that eats goblins? Not shocking, debased creatures. Might know something, though. The rat did, so why not? And if we end up with one less goblin in the swamp, so be it."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Eirik Evensong

Eirik frowned at this new deluge of information. Well, at least the prisoner had proven his usefulness, if nothing else. The goblin witch, however... that made him wonder. Dogs he could understand, being kept in a swamp... but horses? Either Skitterfoot was exaggerating or he had seen something that the ratling had mistaken for a horse.

"The goblin witch", the bard spoke up. "Has Skitterfoot seen her? Describe her to us", he told the creature in his grasp. "And... these caverns, marked on the map. What is so special about them?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+5)[15]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

Theodric look surprised at the mention of a goblin keeping a horse and a dog. Goblins are terrified of horses and they hate dogs almost as much as dogs hate goblins. "You say that a goblin witch lives with a horse, but they are terrified of them and a dog would sooner kill a goblin than live with it."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Caleban

Caleban nods his agreement with what Theodric says.

"What the neighbor said. This is either an outcast, not a goblin or Skitterfoot here is lying. In any case, we must go there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Guys what about loot?