New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: And There Came A Day...

"Ah yes. Stealth. That is a thing that exists," Avalon said to himself, nodding sagely. He stood ready, a few feet back from the door, awaiting the shapeshifter's go-ahead.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Proteus slips through the walls between the two rooms, invisible. He emerges, after a small corridor, in a wide, open room decked with computers.
    Once inside, Behluda can see another 30-ish soldiers, armed with the same type of rifle as those that attacked the bank, but each dressed in a suit of black, reflective armour. There are also a number of people in disheveled clothing, all lined up and looking to be chained together, being checked up on and led by a number of men and women in white coats, before being led out of an exit to the south. a few more of the people in white coats are sat at the computer consoles in the room. In the air you can feel the tension.
    About half of the soldier's (15) have their rifles trained on the door, waiting for anyone to enter. ten more are slowly patroling around the room, stoping every few seconds to look around. The final five have their rifles pointed at the prisoners, and are helping shepherd them along.
    Looking around the room, you notice a number of screen on the leftomost wall from the door, one of which showing the room you arrived in. Many more are showing what seem to be holding pens - each with a small number of humans in them - as well as one that looks like a laboratory, and another that reminds you of a firing range.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Walking back through the walls, Proteus addresses his teamates, letting his outline blur slightly into visibility so they know where to look to pay attention. "O.K., looks like we're expected. By people with guns. Plenty of them look like their going to start firing the second that door opens. A few also seem to be ready to blow away hostages if THEY move. Good thing cooler heads prevailed, otherwise the following would have occurred: Run in, get shot, shrug it off. Hostages panic,try to run.Henchies shoot them.They don't shrug it off.I have an idea, but I'll save it til you guys can chip in your own 2cents."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Avalon frowned, considering the situation for a moment, before he gave a chuckle. "Actually reminds me of a joke," he murmured, before looking very pointedly at Wraith, meeting his gaze, and saying very distinctly, "Knock knock."

He hoped his fellow hero got it.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Proteus
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It appears as if an evening of the odds might be in order. If they allow I could cloak your companions from all senses much like you can, however it would also disallow them from sensing each other."
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Seeming to speak to himself in a moment of unusual lack of clarity, Proteus seems to exclaim as he fades back out of sight:"Oh for the love of;No, that would not help! All of what I described would happen once the door opened, so it would still all go down once the others try to enter, visible or not!As I see it the only solution would we to make an indirect attack that blows through the walls and doors, causing enough damage to slay several of them before they know the fight begins.That way, they panic and try to focus on us instead of the prisoners!But I know a lot of people with above and beyond abilities don't like the thought of using them to kill, so I was offering everyone else the opportunity to think!"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

It seems to that if we can interpose ourselves between the gunmen and the civilians, we can eliminate the danger to them. Then we work our way outward, stifling all opposition. And for the record, I oppose then need for extreme prejudice against these gunmen. We are Heroes. We should act like it. I'm not saying ask their permission to use physical force as they shoot at us, but...the taking of a life...is unnecessary. It should be avoided unless there is no other choice.

What is the light sources in that room? Bright? Omnipresent? Dim?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Since that apparently hadn't worked, Avalon tried a more straightforward approach. "Hey um, have we confirmed that we're not being watched? Or, more to the point, listened in on?"

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't know if we're being watched. These guys sure didn't lead on if they know anything, though. Quite as stone, just like the dudes at the bank were at first.Although, that would explain why they seem to be so prepared for someone to come busting through the door. And similarly, I don't know about light levels. My own vision is extended beyond what is normally considered light, so the place was as bright as day to me.However, that could have just been their own body heat contrasting with the cold environment."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

@Proteus
    Spoiler
    Show

"We ARE being watched. Further, I believe they can also detect me. Their title for your prisoner is 'mercenary girl' I believe, so her status among them is likely quite low. They are also accelerating the 'moving' of the hostages.
    Perhaps a preemptive attack could help? If one of the present is strong enough to crash the door into the room it could lead to momentary confusion and panic. There might be some danger to the hostages though.
    Are you capable of somehow taking others with you through solid materials?"

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"The only way I see this working is we overwhelm them from multiple points at the same time. Proteus, is there any way for you to get between the gunmen and the hostages, or simply to destroy some of the lights in the room to allow Wraith a third point of entry? If anyone is strong enough to blow that door back like a battering ram we can cause a brief moment of shock in the enemy, it can also serve as a signal to get everyone going."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, that gives me a thought. The big difference between here and the bank, is that they're expecting us, right? Presumably, they're expecting us to come through that door. Couldn't we catch them off guard by coming through, say, the wall, or floor, or ceiling?"

Avalon wasn't particularly strong on stealth. Structural damage was another matter.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    "Actually, that gives me a thought. The big difference between here and the bank, is that they're expecting us, right? Presumably, they're expecting us to come through that door. Couldn't we catch them off guard by coming through, say, the wall, or floor, or ceiling?"

Avalon wasn't particularly strong on stealth. Structural damage was another matter.
    "I think I can help there. Just promise me the right heads get cracked."

Dr. Royce walks over to the walls, running his hand along it lightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Analytic touch and Knowledge (physical sciences): (1d20+19)[22]
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Once we get in, I can surround the captives in an ice barrier, should protect them for long enough for us to deal with the big bad"
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Kyton: NoS (M&M3e) IC
    Argent: The B-Team IC

Former Characters

Butterball avatar by Rayne

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"True, that worked well enough last time. We just have to repeat the steps, and everything should work out again. Might work even better this time, given how chilly this place is.
    Since you obviously won't want to guarantee you're seen, you could make them disappear like you did last time. Sure, repetition is boring, but our lives are interesting enough as is. I'll be below the floor, waiting for any sound of interesting stuff when you stream through the door
    ."
    Of course, this is a slight lie, but in the long run it makes no big difference except for possibly a fleeting tactical advantage. Taking advantage of being quiet and out of sight, Proteus slides over to Wraith and whispers
    @Wraith
    Spoiler
    Show
    "O.k., that was a minor fib. I think we're being watched, and would rather not let on. What I'm really going to do is be in the ceiling. Once the action starts, I'll send a pulse of electricity through the lights, which should darken the room. Pick a couple people and discretely inform them of this, and once I kill the light, 'port yourself and them in."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    @ProteusNo problemo!

If you all would be so kind as to huddle up...I need a bit od shadow to do make this work.

Once huddled, I'll continue

Whispered:Avalon, if you're able to smash through the walls, please do so. Sir Ulryn, you follow through the split off the the opposite side and start clearing out mooks. Both of you, please make this quick, but be cognizant that a body count is unnecessary and should be avoided. Once the breach is made, Proteus will kill the lights in the hall, allowing me to pull the rest through. Roulette, the good Doctor and I will pop in on the far end of the hall and we'll meet in the middle. Remember, pick your targets carefully, and our prime objective is freeing captives first

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Ulryn was not entirely certain why Wraith was whispering, but he thought it better to follow his companions lead. Perhaps he knew something that he did not.

"What of our prisoner?" he said quietly.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Grouping up, Avalon answered, "Huh, I was kinda thinking more something like Proteus turning into some sort of burrowing thing and digging us a tunnel or something. I doubt the wall could hold against me in the general sense, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to bring it down in one move. And if it's load-bearing, that plan's right out regardless. What do you think, Doc? Worth a try? Otherwise, going fast through the door Corona blazing will probably work best for keeping the hostages safe...except that creates light. Hrm..."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #169

BlueKnightGuy

OOC: crap. sorry guys. uni work was taking up all my time

The Good doctor's investigation of the building walls reveals them to be made of a high tech steel alloy, highly resistant to heat and pressure, though from what he can gather, not that much harder to break than regular steel. The room's design also indicates that none of the walls bear more of a load than any other, meaning a cave-in of the roof would be highly unlikely.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    OOC: crap. sorry guys. uni work was taking up all my time

The Good doctor's investigation of the building walls reveals them to be made of a high tech steel alloy, highly resistant to heat and pressure, though from what he can gather, not that much harder to break than regular steel. The room's design also indicates that none of the walls bear more of a load than any other, meaning a cave-in of the roof would be highly unlikely.
    "The walls won't break, not unless we apply enough force that we'd probably be lost in the assault."
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm," Sir Ulryn walks over to a wall that is not attached to the room where the hostages are (or he just uses the floor if it's made of the same material as the wall) and stabs it with his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attacking the wall/floor giving a Toughness DC of 30.
    Steel has a Toughness of 10 if that's what you're using boss.

Anyway checking to see if magic sword > scifi steel

22. - Top - End - #172

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    "Hmm," Sir Ulryn walks over to a wall that is not attached to the room where the hostages are (or he just uses the floor if it's made of the same material as the wall) and stabs it with his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attacking the wall/floor giving a Toughness DC of 30.
    Steel has a Toughness of 10 if that's what you're using boss.

Anyway checking to see if magic sword > scifi steel
    Sir Ulryn's sword cleaves through the wall like a hot knife through butter.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Still walks to Avalon and whispers. "If we time this right, I can cut through the hinges of the door, and you can blast it back into the enemy lines as a signal."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Avalon looked somewhat discouraged at the doctor's words, but his grin picked right up when Ulryn made his test. "Sounds like a plan!"

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing that all the pieces of this plan are set in place, Proteus dives down into to floor before taking his planned position in the ceiling, listening for the sound of something happening to know when to take his action.
    Spoiler
    Show
    C'mon game, BREATHE!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Unbeknownst to the rest, Steven stays back, readying his obscuring power to envelop any hostages he can see once the door is gone.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Ulryn waits for everyone to leave, and starts counting out a full minute to give each of them enough time to reach their positions. When the count was done he raised his sword to the door hinges and turned to Avalon, and nodded, making sure the angelic superhero was ready to blast the door to signal the start of the confrontation as soon as his sword cut through the steal.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Avalon stood ready at Ulryn's side, the constant glow around his body a soft crimson as he channeled his power into Phoenian Might.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Roulette prepares to create a solid ice barrier around the hostages

"Everyone ready?" Roulette asks, rather nervous about his lack of defences
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Kyton: NoS (M&M3e) IC
    Argent: The B-Team IC

Former Characters

Butterball avatar by Rayne

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Royce relays all the information he's gathered about the walls.

"I hope we don't get painted across the walls . . ."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew