New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Dark

1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark

Astrid

"I'm sorry," stubbles out of her mouth when she hears the fate of this world's Moira.

When asked what is her next move she answers, "I don't know. I just found people who care about me. Isn't that enough for now? Everyday I have known it was a fight for something, why can't I just be? Just for a little while anyway..."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ariel:

Kevin's lips twist somewhat and he stands again,

"When you first crossed the dimensional veil, your presence attracted me. Drew me from the Astral Plane. Just to see who you were and why you appeared now. We are so much similar and yet, opposite ..... akin to a mirror ...."

"....... you talk of peace and companionship, but the world hates us, so why expect anything, but strife and enmity? They fear your power as much as mine or any other mutant - and they mean to either make you their slave, or their prey. Sadly, your war-torn past is but prelude here. But, perhaps you can find the peace you desire, sister - if you're willing to do whatever it takes to seize it ......"

"..... and don't mourn my Moira. She was the monster the X-Men once thought me to be. I was merely born of a beast, like the pegasus. Moira locked me away as a child - as a child! - because of her human hyper-phobia regarding mutants. She feared Charles, myself, Phoenix - anyone who showed her the evolutionary power of Homo Superior. Even their daughter, poor Christine ......... Moira abandoned the girl emotionally, and she grew to hate her mother and most of mankind. I watch Chris as well - and she's coming for you, Astrid. The three of us are powerful psionics, and inescapably-linked in a spiral of destiny. But, you are the greater, because you, Astrid, can see the rain before even the clouds have gathered."

He begins walking away slowly, then stops, looking off into the distance. Standing at what could be a hundred feet or a hundred million miles, a female figure cloaked in shadow watches from afar .......

Spoiler
    Show

DC10 Fortitude check

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alana grins back at her grandfather. Receiving his approval meant a lot to her. He had provided much for her. He treated her a human being from day one. He had shown her the true humanity was a state of being, and that anyone can be a hero. Jonathan had been the father she could only hope her real father would have been if not for his madness. She would do all she could to live up to the legacy of her grandfather as well as cleanse that of her father. It would be a weighty burden, but it was hers to bear.

"I agree with you Eldain, but two things come to mind. When the last time you slept and ate?" said the young technomorph.

"Gramps, does the name Connor Hale ring any bells? Also with regards to the Molecular Scanner, I've already figured out how it works as well as how to improve upon it."

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"What's a warrior without weapons, eh?"
    "A warrior still!"
    —Quickstrike totally underestimates Dinobot.

"Face it, Dinobot! You're old technology, obsolete. What could you possibly do?"
    "Improvise."
    —Megatron is about to find out that Dinobot has one more trick up his sleeve.

Dinobot: Tell my tale to those who ask it. Tell it truly, the good and the bad, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

"Food wouldn't hurt. Sleep...probably would, at this point." Eldain replied. He wasn't exactly unused to all-nighters.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

It finally dawned on her who she was talking to. In her world she had never met him, only heard of his name and the stories of his power. Her instinct was fear but that was tempered by her experience with Psylocke; things here were different.

His words were grounding and confusing. "Wait don't go..." She had so many questions, "You found me because I entered this reality... Do you sense anyone else out of sync with this reality who arrived when I did? Our sister? Is that the presense I've been sensing? What is she like? Is that her?" The last question hangs in the air as she points to the figure in the shadows.

6. - Top - End - #306

Inspired & Phase Knight:

Spoiler
    Show

I'll wait to see if you eat or leave ....

Ariel:

Kevin eyes the distant figure, then glances at Astrid, then turns to face the figure again,

"Was there a me where you were? Did your Moira have a son named Kevin? If so, what was he like? What did he accomplish? What did he become? Maybe one day I'll venture across the veil and chance meeting myself in the myriad dimensions 'Kevin MacTaggart' emerged ...... maybe."

"If you and I are opposites, well, Christine would be a cross-composite of us both. She has my pragmatic sense of logic, no-nonsensical and very deliberate. Purposeful. And from you, she gets -"

Kevin laughs to himself lightly and looks at Astrid, the way a hawk eyes a mouse weaving through a field,

"- her looks. It was what was so intriguing when I first saw you. How striking you were, compared to Chris. You see, Astrid, Christine is your twin. She looks like you. She sounds like you. She even sleeps like you. She is this dimension's manifestation of Astrid MacTaggart-Xavier ....... and like you, she's a handful."

".....'The very word Secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings' ......"

" ..... do you know who said that?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Kevin eyes the distant figure, then glances at Astrid, then turns to face the figure again,

"Was there a me where you were? Did your Moira have a son named Kevin? If so, what was he like? What did he accomplish? What did he become? Maybe one day I'll venture across the veil and chance meeting myself in the myriad dimensions 'Kevin MacTaggart' emerged ...... maybe."
    "No I never met any of my 'sibling'... well if you can really call them that. I've heard stories of you... well... I mean my world's you. Moira had one son, who she care for even when he starting developing his powers. He was young and prone to losing control. What was worse than that was it attracted Apocalypse. He took Kevin and turned him into Proteus. Eventually, he had desires to take Appocalypse's place. He build a machine that would allow him to extend his power across the universe. He was stopped at the cost of his life," she explained.

"If you and I are opposites, well, Christine would be a cross-composite of us both. She has my pragmatic sense of logic, no-nonsensical and very deliberate. Purposeful. And from you, she gets -"

Kevin laughs to himself lightly and looks at Astrid, the way a hawk eyes a mouse weaving through a field,

"- her looks. It was what was so intriguing when I first saw you. How striking you were, compared to Chris. You see, Astrid, Christine is your twin. She looks like you. She sounds like you. She even sleeps like you. She is this dimension's manifestation of Astrid MacTaggart-Xavier ....... and like you, she's a handful."

".....'The very word Secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings' ......"

" ..... do you know who said that?"
    "No, who said that?" she asks, although in the back of her mind the question of others who might have escaped her universe's destruction lingers.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-05-28 at 09:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308

Ariel:

"Jack Kennedy. A visionary who tried to draw the world out of darkness so the light could reign. But, the darkness fought back and assassinated him. That is Christine's charge: Assassin-keeper of secrets. She isn't watching you for no reason. You're destined to hand-wave the web of deceit that circles the world and uncover a secret so deadly and delicate ........ she's charged to prevent such a thing. You are so close to it, and you have no clue."

"She wont harass you here - not with me here. But, she's close to you, Astrid. So close. You want peace, face your cross-dimensional self and rise the victor. I can't take sides - I'm neutral to what direction the waves flow here. It's the most logical conclusion. But, I'll watch, like Uatu, almost-eager to interfere. You'll either grow-up, or perish."

"What if Frankie sent you here to save this dimension from the same fate your world suffered?"

Kevin looks from Astrid to the female figure, now close enough for Ariel to see her shaved head and eyes the color of Astrid's with wonder replaced with aggression ....

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

While awaiting Smith's answer to Inspired's question, and Inspired's decision on if she wanted to come along and/or eat first, Eldain texted his father, "You know of a Conner Hale?"
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well, I suggest you eat here and get some rest before storming the ship. Best to be fully prepped and rested before we go into what could be an obvious trap. Last I checked porting can be rather demanding on the mind and/or body."

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"A warrior still!"

"Face it, Dinobot! You're old technology, obsolete. What could you possibly do?"
    "Improvise."

Dinobot: Tell my tale to those who ask it. Tell it truly, the good and the bad, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

"I appreciate the concern, and yeah, food sounds great, but I can't take the time to rest. Not until my sister's safe. Don't worry, I'm used to teleporting several tons of troops and cargo hundreds of miles in succession. Blinking myself or the two of us place to place is a jumping-jack by comparison," he said confidently.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She listens to her 'step brother' and looks at Christine. "No," she says softly at first. Then repeats it with confidence, "No! The world can't be that simple, it can't be that black and white. There must be more to it than a binary solution. I couldn't have travel here to kill her. There has to be away for both us, there has to..."

13. - Top - End - #313

Phase Knight & Inspired:

Spoiler
    Show

Again, whatever you choose.

Ariel:

Kevin looks away to a distance of blue sky, away from the shadowed figure and Astrid,

"You don't have to. Just let Chris & her boss run things as usual. There's a special order in that, regardless. This reality doesn't need your interference, Astrid. It would just set things right. You're so young, understanding the space between Truth and what's correct would be puzzling. Only time - what you can see - will tell."

He looks down, but his eyes flicker towards the distant figure, then back at Astrid. Kevin's form begins to fade again, as he curls his lips,

"You keep asking questions you already know the answers to. I've never known the sensation of 'love' - but there is a vivid sensation .......... something. I'll be close, Astrid, because ....... well, just because. By the way, why don't you like being called Ariel? There's an emotional knot there ........"
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-05-29 at 08:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After having struggled against the raising suns call for several hours, Noah finally acquiescents; too tired to fight it any longer, and so rises at a quarter-to-nine to great the morning sun with a stretch and a yawn; it wouldn't do to keep his partner waiting any longer, not that he'd be able to get much more sleep with the anxious kitty pacing around any way. Today more than any other he was thankful there didn't appear to be any spirits or messages awaiting him. "Heh, if the rest of the day goes this well I might actually make it to the afternoon shift," Noah mused as he headed of to take care of his morning preparations, only to be met by Leos amused chuckle. Boy, your naiveness is refreshing sometimes quipped Leo eliciting a grimace and sigh from the young man.

After heating up some leftovers, Noah dialed up Mr. Cartwright; hoping the retired super might be able to give some clues and the colossal mess he'd gotten himself into.
    Last edited by Regalus; 2013-05-29 at 08:50 PM.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Eldain, you are human, right? You still need to eat and rest so you can be at peak efficiency, right? and we are planning to go into another continent, into a situation that 7 out of 10 is a trap of some sort, right? Then I suggest you eat and rest before we go into this potential trap, you doof.", said Alana with a bit of exasperation. Sometimes the most obvious things escape the most exceptional minds.

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"A warrior still!"

"Improvise."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She looks down at her feet. "Mother Red loved a movie with a sing crab and a mermaid... but its a boys name! It comes from Shakespeare, Robin Goodfellow is called Ariel. Mother White said I could have a new code name but I've never been able to think of something better..."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's eat then," Eldain said. "And if you want, you can use the time we're doing that to keep trying to convince me to rest, but I can assure you, it will be futile," he said, with a teasing grin that did not match the determination of his voice. "My sister's in danger, and a single all-nighter is going to do exactly nothing to keep me from getting her home safe. Again, I appreciate the concern, but trust me, I've pushed myself harder cramming for college exams. I'll be fine."

Spoiler
    Show
    Now watch, I'll roll nothing above a 5 for the duration of the mission .

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #318

Inspired & Phase Knight:

Jonathan Shepard-Smith walks over to the young heroes and gestures towards the stairwell,

"A veritable banquet awaits you, but I understand if you must go. Work like yours, in times such as these, can be very demanding. There seems never enough time ..... in regard to this Hale individual, the name does not ring a bell. But, I can check my limited resource of contacts and perhaps stir something up?"

Eldain receives a text reply from Dr. Owlheart confirming the worst: he had no idea who Connor Hale was. He also asked Eldain if he would make the meeting ....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-02 at 10:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

"Depends on what I get done in the next couple hours. There's backup." Eldain texted back. "Appreciate it, Sir," he replied, starting for the stairs, though not moving too quickly. This was Alana's home, so he was following her lead, pretty much.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

20. - Top - End - #320

Nova Leo:

The strange Cartwright answers his phone,

"You're still alive, kid? Amazing. Now take my advice: walk away from this one. There are things going on here that even I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Walk. Away."

"How's Emily anyway? She's a real cutie, you know. Probably pay her a visit today once I'm done at the tracks. You should settle down, kiddo. Raise a family - make a future. There's no future down the road your askin' about .... just darkness, the kind that drains you dry like a 5th Avenue attorney. I'm sure your 'mentor' has his reservations ......"

Ariel:

Kevin looks at the flickering shadow that is Christine MacTaggart-Xavier and sighs,

"Chris hated hers as well. Refuses to answer to anything except -"

Chris' lips move lightly in the distance and a voice perfectly-akin to Astrid's flows across over Ariel,

"-Kitty. You stay watching me, don't you brother?"

Chris eyes Astrid curiously ........

Spoiler
    Show

did I miss the Fortitude check?
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-03 at 02:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Heh, sooo I take it the media hasn't covered last night then, he noted to himself with furrowed his brows.

"Ya know me; nothing can keep me down, and I've been through tougher scrapes than last night anyway. Any way, I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to raise kid; not with how the economy's looking nowadays. Maybe eight years or something" he added with a hint of weak humor before taking a swig of good Ol' OJ to drown the knot forming in his gut, it was still too early in the morning for him to come up with proper witty banter and he really wasn't in the mood to talk about that particularly sore topic.

The young man stared at the juice in his cup, as if eyeing Leo contemplative through his blurry reflection and back to his patron, for a moment; letting silence reign before speaking up, "You know I can't, not for long anyway; not that I would with a clean conscience anyway. So, what's got you so spooked ya old coot?" he inquired with a slight hint of worry to his tone, silently questioning Leo 'with a look' in case he'd overlooked something of note.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

She didn't know how to respond so she changed the subject, "What about other people? Has anyone else popped up in this reality recently?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about that. Got caught up in the role playing I forgot.
    (1d20+2)[15] fort check
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-06-03 at 11:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

Nova Leo:

Cartwright clears his throat, then the sound of him drinking something before he responds,

"Had me a visitor this morning. Someone I haven't seen in ages and didn't plan on seeing again ever. Dr. Louisiana Reiner. Once upon a time she was a promising young psychiatrist. But, now ......... there's no describing the blackness inside her. A true mistress of the Necromantic arts - one of the last ones left. She was so busy trying to marry 'The Gentleman', that hero from back in the day. Or chasing me. She provided valuable insights about the villains we faced, but all she really wanted was a beau. When she finally realized neither of us felt the same, well - 'Hell hath no fury' and all that ....."

".... last I heard of her, she had made a home with something called 'The Black Cross', a sect of Nazi-inspired occultists. That was the early 80's. Now, the good doctor has returned, and with a warning, no less. she's found a new group of friends - maybe the same ones - calling themselves, 'The Dark'. They're watching you and thinking I might know who you were, she made contact. They want you to stay out of their business, whatever that means. What I do know is I taught her the essence of Magical Invocation for - you know - basic things. She was a big fan of Dr. Strange as well. Seems her power has grown substantially. Very much so."

Ariel:

Kevin turns from Astrid and begins to fade away,

"You shouldn't ask - what you learn might be unpleasant."

Chris - 'Kitty' - slowly paces around Astrid, a cold grin piercing her pretty face,

"Do you really want to see what became of your friends, Astrid?"

In the distance, perhaps a few miles behind Christine, a wave as wide and as tall as the world was crushing towards the trio, blotting-out the Sun itself ..........
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-04 at 02:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Noah whistled even as he felt Leo stir, the big NL was not a big fan of the dark arts to say the least, "Sounds like a real work of art that one; nazis, necromancy and secret conspiracies. This one's in it real deep. Bit surprised they're trying to hound me already; these folks work fast, and here I was hopping they'd be kind enough to wait until after I started digging," he commented, if these people had spooked Cartwright then they were already a bit too close for comfort.

"Any clue as to what she wants me to stay away from? Also, what did ya tell the good doctor?" he inquiered before taking a bite from his own breakfast.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

Nova Leo:

"You are linked to the Great Light, Noah. She's an acolyte of the deep and terrible darkness that is always threatening to swallow this realm. I wouldn't doubt that she's been watching you longer than we can both imagine ....."

"..... what I told her was, 'Light eats the Dark'. She laughed - and said she'd make you the goat led to slaughter. We've talked about ancient sacrificial rites. For necromancers, it's very serious business. Now. You tell me, Noah: do you need my help?"

Phase Knight & Inspired:

The two heroes move from the Lab-Shop to the dining room area, with the rich aroma of delicious food drawing them to a long table adorned with any kind of breakfast meal one could want! Maids buzz around the heroes, smiling and thanking them for saving them from the androids. Chairs are pulled out, napkins placed in your laps, silverware and plates delivered and drinks poured on request ....

Spoiler
    Show

leaving room for discussion - i think Inspired asked Phase Knight questions or vice-versa.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-05 at 01:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid
    "Do you really want to see what became of your friends, Astrid?"

In the distance, perhaps a few miles behind Christine, a wave as wide and as tall as the world was crushing towards the trio, blotting-out the Sun itself ..........
    "Yes, what happened? Did Frankie save more of us?" she asks then notices the on coming wave. Putting her hands up she asks, "What's going on?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain ate as quickly as he could without being completely rude. Patience was far from his greatest virtue. He didn't believe he had any further questions; he was eager to get to those docks and see what awaited them there.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Girls, thanks again for your hard work and thank the kitchen staff for this great spread.", said Alana beaming them a smile as she put the breakfast classics on her plate.

"So how did you get started on the hero biz?", she asked Eldain, hoping to find out more about him.

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"A warrior still!"

"Improvise."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

"It was when the Avengers got railroaded," he replied. "I had...well, had just had my first superhuman battle a few days before, did a...pretty good bit better than I had expected, to be honest. With what happened, I figured some people were going to have to fill in the gap, so I gave it a shot."

"What about you? You handled those droids like nothing, you've never really done this before?"

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Nope. No formal training. All that i know about heroing comes from games, comics, books and Toku.", said Alana while munching on a croissant.

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"A warrior still!"

"Improvise."