New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Dark

1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark

"Fun trivia fact: that's not the worst training out there," Eldain said with a grin. "So what's your cy-uh, technomancy let you do, exactly?"
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ariel:

Using her nascent Telepathic vision, 'Kitty' shows Astrid how all her friends - the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and a handful of other heroes met their end by falling to heart attacks. Strokes. Massive seizures. Aneurisms.

They all experienced the kind of terrible pain and fatality that befalls normal humans. Nothing heroic or epic. Each one of them stalked and eliminated by none other than Christine MacTaggart-Xavier. This, was her power. Ruination. She stood silent, at a distance, while Astrid's friends choked for their last breath. Chris watched them die and it served her purpose.

Astrid sees all of it, how all her friends die, while Chris nearly-sneered at her. From less than 10 footsteps away.

The impossible wave came crashing across everything, like nails on a chalkboard. All Astrid felt was the force of water, like a massive fist the size of a city bus crushing her senses. She whirled and spun involuntarily, a puppet yanked by strings out of control. The whole world went topsy-turvy and adversarial, as Astrid fought to breath. Just a breath. In the uncontrollable liquid darkness, she felt her hands flailing wildly ........

.... then she woke up. Blinking at the bright lights just inches overhead. She was in some kind of space similar to a tanning booth. Light all around her, encased in a plastic coffin - cool and illuminated. The space had a clear cover that allowed Astrid to look out, but all she could see was darkness beyond, blurred by the gleaming luminescent-light that shined at the corners of her eyes. She couldn't move except for inches in any direction & couldn't hear anything but the echo of her own heartbeat ...........
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-05 at 10:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well, if it's technology of any kind, i can control it, replicate it or wreck it effortlessly. If i can think it, I can build it", said Alana with a bit of smug satisfaction.

Heart of a True Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

"What's a warrior without weapons, eh?"
    "A warrior still!"
    —Quickstrike totally underestimates Dinobot.

"Face it, Dinobot! You're old technology, obsolete. What could you possibly do?"
    "Improvise."
    —Megatron is about to find out that Dinobot has one more trick up his sleeve.

Dinobot: Tell my tale to those who ask it. Tell it truly, the good and the bad, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

"Nice!" Eldain said, finishing off his cup of orange juice. "I'm ready when you are."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Sobbing she muttered to herself, "You're lying I know it... You're lying... damn you..." It took a few more sniffles before she began to get ahold of herself. She needed more information, she scanned beyond her enclosure hoping to find a mind or a presence out there.

6. - Top - End - #336

Ariel:

Astrid immediately senses something - a kind of 'psychic feedback' - resisting her Telepathy!

Spoiler
    Show

make a DC20 Perception check to identify the source of the 'feedback'

A face appears outside Ariel's 'containment booth',

.... the young-looking man mouths words Astrid can't hear while peering down at her curiously. Then a slender human hand - as if a large spider had become a hand - walked fingers first across the clear window of Astrid's booth. It was attached to a wrist and a strange-looking woman's face appeared over the clear-glass window above the heroine,

She also spoke words while watching Astrid, turning to face the young man in silent conversation. Her hand turned and she rapped the face of the booth with a knuckle, simulating a knock. The woman seemed to be interrupted and both people turned to face an unseen presence ...?

The woman moved out of Astrid's limited line of sight and the young man seemed to be saying something - then a tall, african-American man layed on the cell itself, arms crossed under his chin, directly over Ariel! He grinned and mouthed more words that were cloaked by the booth's sound-dampening,

He looked Astrid over then pushed himself off the booth and addressed the young man, moving to a point where Ariel could just see their faces, locked in discussion ....

Spoiler
    Show

make a DC10 Insight check to get an idea of the scene & a DC20 check (optional) to discern an aspect of the conversation

Phase Knight, Inspired & Nova Leo:

Spoiler
    Show

ready when you are
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-07 at 02:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Once they had finished eating, Eldain thanked Smith and his staff for the meal, and unless Inspired had anything else she wanted to do or reason to hold, he'd teleport them off, first to his house to pick up his ((absolutely no idea, just an opportunity for something to happen before we go to those docks/other PCs to join up/whatever, if the arbitrary item becomes relevant I can spend a Hero Point for it )).

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Spoiler
    Show

Using Focused Mind
    Perception:
    (1d20+13)[17]
    Insight
    (1d20+15)[16]
    (1d20+15)[35]

9. - Top - End - #339

Phase Knight:

Eldain arrives at home after a filling meal, looking for anything of use ......

Ariel:

Astrid discerns the trio seem to be pleased with her, in some strange way, and there seems to be some debate over what comes next .......

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Once he was equipped, he looked to Inspired. "Can you fly? I generally prefer teleporting a few hundred feet up when heading into situations that could be dangerous, gives me the opportunity to see what's around and plan an approach."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

It was comforting to find friendly faces but she needed what she could do. She opened her mind and telepathically asked, Hello, my name is Astrid. Who are all of you? Where are we?

12. - Top - End - #342

Ariel:

The group moves away and Astrid is left looking up at, as her eyes adjust, a wide ceiling lined with dim, blue lights. Seconds pass before a dark figure comes to stand next to Ariel's 'booth'. The face she sees is none other than her own - or rather the face of her twin, Christine MacTaggart-Xavier.

Kitty.

She studies Astrid for a long moment, her face devoid of emotion, before looking away to something alongside the booth. Then, Kitty speaks, the sound of Astrid's own voice pouring from tiny speakers positioned within the small space,

"They can't hear you. Right now your powers are so diminished, I could barely sense your thought-projections myself. They're like whispers in the wind ..."

She stares into Astrid's eyes and it's easy to see Kitty is trying to hide a sense of wonder. This impossible meeting has her somewhat puzzled. Ariel can hear mumbled voices in the background - two male and one female, but the conversation is too distant to get details. Christine angles her head while looking Astrid up and down, then at last, draws a deep breath,

"...... to answer your question: they are the Dark, arguably the greatest combination of scientific genius ever assembled, and this, is their laboratory."

Spoiler
    Show

DC15 Perception check to pick-up on the Dark's mumbled conversation.
    While Kitty carries a heavy aura of menace, she seems no threat to Ariel at the moment.

Phase Knight:

Spoiler
    Show

Let's move.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-11 at 05:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Eldain initiated a series of teleports, to the geolocation they had identified. He appeared above the docks, five hundred feet in the air, looking down over the ship, his visor zooming in. He took a moment to examine the surroundings for any potential information or threats, before gathering his psionic focus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Mind at Rest Perception Check: (1d20+15)[28].
    Standard -> Move Action: Routine Perception Check: 25.
    I only take -1 per 1,000 feet of distance.

Then switching Psionic Focus array to Phase Strike and ready to go.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #344

Phase Knight:

Eldain gets a taste of the chilling snowfall that's falling across New York as he appears high above the docks! The northern wind whistles in his ears, along with the usual sounds of ships and machinery along the city's southern-most pier. Snow has half-covered the wooden and asphalt walkways and vehicles trailing the area, as human figures in yellow hardhats stroll about for as far as the wide strip of water and warehouses stretch.

The Mörkret;

This ship is a massive cargo vessel of the largest class, easily accommodating 10,000 TEU (20-foot containers). At nearly 400 meters in length and over 100,000 tons, the freighter can still reach speeds approaching 30 knots. Painted a deep, sea-blue on her sides, The Mörkret; is currently empty of containers & flies a Swedish flag on her bow .....

Spoiler
    Show

DC15 Expertise check -

.... on the surrounding pier, there are six guards, dressed in dark-blue military-style uniforms, matching berets, and wielding sub-machine-guns. Three guards pace both (long) sides of the ship, occasionally making contact with each other, but providing a decent perimeter nonetheless.

There are smaller ships on either side of The Mörkret;, and the few workers on them are at least 50 meters from your target. On the weather-beaten white decks of the ship, Phase Knight sees no activity - no one at all - and the great vessel's chimneys are clear of smoke.

The gray-brown waters of NY harbor whip and splash around the ship under a torrent of cold wind ....

Spoiler
    Show

any other questions about the scene, just ask.
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-11 at 10:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Once he had a decent lay of the land, Eldain teleported down, aiming to appear beside an entrance leading deeper into the ship. He'd hold for just a second or two, taking what cover he could find, and then blink back into the air to watch and see if anyone spotted him and reacted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Teleport down to an entrance.
    Standard -> Move Action: Routine Stealth check to hide (20 total).
    Free Action: Turnabout back to 500' in the air.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+13)[25] perception

"What are you going to do with me?" she asked with a worried inflection.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"If this lady's half as bad as you say she is, I'll take anything you can give me. If this witch has been keeping tabs on us this long, than it's best to nip this in the bud before they catch us of guard" Noah replied confident on his decision. This would be far from his first rodeo with a wielder of the dark arts, but it'd certainly be a first against one with this much backing behind them. The fact she scared Cartwright certainly drove the gravity of the situation home. "Besides they're probably gonna try accelerating their plans anyway, so now might be my only shot at doin' something before the crap hits the fan and innocents start getting involved," he added with a more light hearted tone to off set the slowly intensifying mood.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

18. - Top - End - #348

Phase Knight:

(1d20+2)[5]

The guards walk around, passing the hidden hero occasionally, but they seem more interested in staying warm than checking for hide-aways right now. From the wide entrance to the ship, Phase Knight hears the sounds of boots on metal - more people, maybe more guards. Snowfall begins to build in the corners and crevices of the huge ships deck, while Eldain can't help but notice that for a cargo ship, the ship seemed very clean.

Teleporting skyward again, Phase Knight sees the six guards still making their rounds, seemingly oblivious to his presence ....

Ariel:

Chris raises her chin while maintaining her gaze,

"They just want what you have. Something you probably don't even want any longer. The thing that makes you a freak in the eyes of humanity. Your mutant power, Astrid - and once they've drained you clean, then, you belong to me ......"

Kitty's head turns suddenly, as if startled by something. Then, she walks out of Astrid's view as the speakers fall quiet .....

Nova Leo:

Cartwright responds with a loud exhale,

"Welp, I'll start digging then - checking with the spirits, by either bribe or sacrifice. Just watch yourself, kid and don't do anything rash before you hear back from me. Meet me at ...... the Lighthouse Club, near the waterfront, in an hour."

The old mystic hangs-up, leaving Noah to his thoughts ....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-13 at 10:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Comfortable that he hadn't been detected, Phase Knight blinked down to the same hiding place. He'd teleport back down, observe until no guards were looking his way, and then attempt to open the door. If it did open, he'd open it just a crack, to peer in and make sure no one was immediately within.

Spoiler
    Show
    Routine Stealth again.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

Fear ran through her, real fear. Something that she hasn't felt in a long time. She was slowly beginning to understand the evil she was facing.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It certainly sounded like Noah would be like to work today. The young man sighed before finishing his makeshift breakfast ans finishing his morning routine. "Hey Leo, you ever heard of the broad we're gonna be dealing with?" inquired aloud as he washed the dishes.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

22. - Top - End - #352

Phase Knight:

Spoiler
    Show

DC15 Perception check, por favor.

Ariel:(i like that name)

Astrid's 'cell' lights flicker wildly and go out, leaving her laying in a dark booth. She senses a nearby presence and turns to see Connor's face looking at her! The kid's head was inside her cell and his wide-eyed stare carried a silly half-smile,

"What do I do?"

Astrid could now feel the thoughts of the four other people in the room .....

Nova Leo:

Spoiler
    Show

PM sent.

23. - Top - End - #353

Phase Knight:

As the lightning flash-fast hero moves towards the ship hatch, he hears hurried footsteps approaching from alongside the side - then, heavy steps coming up the ladders and walkways! There's also voices shouting in a foreign language coming from the same direction - seems the guards are coming ....

Nova Leo

Spoiler
    Show

Based on our PMs, you can post the dialogue with Leo next, if you like.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Just people doing their jobs, Eldain thought, resisting the urge to just beat them down. He cased about for a hiding place, and if there was one, would teleport to it. If not, he'd pop back a few hundred feet into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guessing this counts as being rushed, so:
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[18]

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #355

Phase Knight:

Guards' Perception check
    (1d20+8)[22]

Three guards armed with sub-machine-guns surround Phase Knight and one shouts,

"Get out of there! Show yourself! Now!"

When he vanishes, they look around the area for him, now six men fanning over the top of the ship .....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-17 at 04:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrid

"Connor? Where are you?" she whispers. "I can't get out of here myself. Can you find a way to set me free? Before you do that, do you know where my armor is?"

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

See, hide and seek just isn't any fun when the opposition can't read your mind, telekinetically open up all the hiding spots, or supercharge their senses, Phase Knight thought with a smirk.

His childhood is not on trial here.

He blinked down behind the guards (or behind as many of them as possible given their configuration, if I have to appear in front of someone, prioritizing positions that put me in direct line with one of their allies, might make them hesitate if they are able to get a shot off) and about fifteen feet in the air, a sweeping wave of his hand attempting to teleport the five who didn't shout into the ocean, about three hundred feet down the docks, but only thirty feet off shore. Shouldn't be too hard for them to swim to safety, but should keep them occupied and might give their guns trouble.

The guy who shouted gets a pass, since he's been confirmed as able to speak at least some English.

Regardless of the results, he'd then immediately reverse his teleport, winding up back in the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Teleport near the guards.
    Standard Action: Multiattack Targeted Teleport (5 targets):
    (1d20+9)[23]
    (1d20+9)[10]
    (1d20+9)[21]
    (1d20+9)[20]
    (1d20+9)[11]

DC 16 Will to resist.

Free Action: Turnabout.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

28. - Top - End - #358

Ariel:

Connor does super-wide-eyed,

"I'll look for it."

Then, his head ducks beneath the cell. Astrid is surrounded by darkness, but she can feel her powers emanating from her - having her armor would help .....

Phase Knight:

Two of Phase Knight's targeted guards walk around a corner at the last second, avoiding his trick, but three guards vanish into thin air! As the hero blinks skyward again, the remaining English-speaking guard looks around as if he's puzzled - he missed the attack and now stands all by himself! He starts walking slowly and calls for the others in Swedish .....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-18 at 12:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

That was fair enough, Phase Knight deemed, teleporting down behind the guy. "Hey there. Let's talk."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #360

Phase Knight:

The guard spins around and aims his sub-machine gun at the hero! He blinks as snowflakes fall into his face & seems to be trembling somewhat,

"You'll be talking to the angels if you don't get on your face, now!"

Spoiler
    Show

Location-wise, PK & the guard are next to the Bridge area. Go ahead & roll Initiative & you can try for Persuasion or Deception or Intimidation or whatever you like. Remember there's two more of them around the corner somewhere.

Ariel:

In her darkened booth, Astrid can hear voices as well. It seems there's a charged conversation going on nearby - again, three voices: two male, one female. A few seconds pass, but no sign of Connor .....
    Last edited by buddy; 2013-06-19 at 12:44 PM.