New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sir Joanson Part I: The Bull of Castle Rock (IC)

Checking his coin purse, Sir Walter pulls out ten silver coins. "Shineyz fer me and 'im." Sir Walter slurs, pointing to Jon. "I tooks his stuffs. Ders extras ther. You shush that I takes his stuffs."

Sir Walter interned to bring the brute with him, and he is. Even if he is dragging the fat goblin behind him.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sir Walter pays the toll, and the toll lady in turn pays him no mind.
    They cross the rickety bridge which sways to and fro with each passing step. A moment of doubt passes into the brave Knight's mind concerning the alleged security goblin engineering can provide.

Spoiler
    Show

After crossing they decent down a slope and the caves open up to a wondrous natural cavern. Rock formations that would be the marvel of the realm if they were ever given over to dwarves! But they are in the hands of goblins, and instead of marvels they have built an arena of death and violence. Sir Walter and Jon can clearly see the rust red stains of dried blood on the arena floor in the torch light. This place smells of decay, feces, and abuse. The eyes water, either from the heartache or the smell.

stawp sir nite...
    Toox stretches out a hand to signal danger. He approaches and whisper is Sir Walter's ear.
    Aheadz there be awicked bads goblin that you must killz. No wordz or talkings. Slay them now and we can goes on to the Kings. Jus the boy goblins though, and not the pretty gurl goblins please. You can no sneakings like me, so there is no choices but to runs and kills fast. Do it or alls is lost.

Around the corner of the rockwall Sir Walter and Jon can hear what sounds to be a hideous monster sucking the brains out of some poor feminine creature that can only moan weakly in reply. It is true that Sir Walter lacks the stealth to slip by unannounced, but his clanking armour has not caused whatever it is around the corner concern yet. Most interesting...

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Swift justice to the wicked, but a kind hand to anyone not yet proven foul.

"I cannot simply walk up and kill a man because you say he is bad. Tell me their crimes, or I will have no choice but approach them openly." Sir Walter frowns at the environment. Filth. Squalor. A true king would do better by his people. Bastard!

Sir Walter does, however, release the big goblin he was dragging. "Jon, be sure our prisoner of war doesn't escape. Took, smack him on the head if he wakes up."

4. - Top - End - #64

Is Thief! replies Toox a bit too loudly. He corrects himself Is thief Sire! An is nasty friend to the King. Is always pushing small gobs an is dangerous. Es gonna wake alla sleping gobs and tellum to fights you. Truly!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter frowns. Knocking a man's head into jelly won't kill him. And he couldn't afford to have to fight all the goblins. Without a word, Sir Walter walks up and whacks the goblin. After the first strike he says, "I'm sorry, I need to get in to see the king, and my guide says you'll be in the way."

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+13)[31]
    (3d6+6)[20]

If he falls, I will nod to the female and say "Ma'am. Sorry bout your boyfriend."

6. - Top - End - #66

Quick as a cat whose hind side is on fire, Sir Walter waltzes up to the kissing couple, pries the boy goblin from the girl, and Bumpf! wallops his on the head. He sinks to the floor most eloquently.
    Ma'am. Sorry bout your boyfriend says Sir Walter. She shrieks in terror and tears rolls freely down her face. You MONSTER! She calls, loud enough to wake the dead. She throws her feeble fists at Sir Walter's mighty thigh.
    It is then that Toox strolls out from behind Sir Walter and says So babe! Can wez hava dates now?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter looks at Toox, then at the goblin woman. "I see. Toox, you deceived me. Care to explain yourself? I'm sorry miss. DOn't worry, he is only sleeping. MY blade doesn't kill. Unless I tell it to." Grabbing Toox by the long, ugly ear, he scolds him. "You know, if we were in my homeland, I would beat you for lying to me. You don't have time for a date, you are my guide here. Miss, do you know Toox?"

8. - Top - End - #68

Through large sobs and a trembling lip the girl goblin manages an answer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+10)[17]

He TOOX. He be old boyfriend, but tha King gimme new better boyfriend wit mohr golds. She gives Toox the raspberry. PBBBBTTtttttppp! Now I no like Toox. And I no like you! On cue, a band of goblins emerge from the caves ahead. They look frail, but there are many and they are armed with pointy sticks. However mundane, those sticks would surely hurt. Toox's ex points an accusatory finger at Sir Walter. INTRUDERS!
    That idiot goblin Toox has selfishly put you in danger, and the consequences are now apparent to him. Is that guilt on his face? So sorry Sire! Forgiveness? he asks, even as he and his friends flee to the bleachers. This is bad. This is very very bad. Sir Walter knows he needs a guide down here. It is critical that Toox, or some other willing goblin, stay with him, but it looks like his tour guides are about to bolt. He also knows that the incident with the boyfriend goblin has put him in an impossible social situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map and initiative to come. I have work right now. You are welcome to roll for yourselves and even the Gobs. You can also try and diffuse the situation anyway you want, but you've failed the dip roll with the girl. It was a passive roll in reaction to your "don't worry" talk, so I made it for you. You may have noticed that I don't put much stock in roll ownership. Below are the Gob stats if you wish to narrate the hits and spell effects for this encounter.

Gob Stats (not a secret)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblin Grunts
    GoblinWarrior level 1 (skill points 8) Light foot soldier
    hp 3 (0d8+1d8+-1), CR 0.5 XP Neutral Evil Small Humanoid
    Init +2 Speed 30 AC 16, Touch 13, flat footed 14 ( Leather, Shield, light wooden)
    (+2 Dex, +1 size, +2 armor, +1 shield)
    Melee Base Attack 1 Grapple -3, Single Attack Morningstar +2 (1d6) or Javelin +5 (1d4)
    Full Attack Spear +2 (1d4) or Javelin +5 (1d4) range 30; Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    SA , SQ Darkvision 60
    Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +0,
    Str 10, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 11, Wis 10, Chr 6
    Skills Climb 2, Hide 5.5, Intimidate -2, Jump 2, Listen 0.5, Move Silently 5, Ride 6, Search 0, Spot 0, Swim -2 Feats: Armour Prof Heavy, Armour Prof Light, Armour Prof Medium, Martial Weap Prof, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus(Ranged); Languages Common, Goblin

Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-14 at 12:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter sighs at the situation as a whole. "Technically, I am not an intruder. Your king demanded I go see him. I am truly sorry miss. Toox tricked me. But your new boyfriend is fine, just knocked out. Other goblins, do you see the lump behind me? A single stroke of my blade felled him, you have no chance. Surrender, and no harm will come to you. Drop your weapons. Now."

Sir Walter, despite his words, doubts they will listen. So far goblins haven't proven noble or smart. As such, Sir Walter readies himself to smack the first goblin bearing arms to enter his threatened space.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I fear we can expect no better from them. The most amiable has already suffered for aiding us, how could we expect the rest to not react to that? Jon leans in to whisper, "We must expect treachery wherever we do not see open violence. I fear they are quite corrupt. It is a sorry thing, but we must press on."

A shimmering ward appears around Jon, daring any to attack him. "Onward, let your merciful blade strike true."

Spoiler
    Show
    sanctuary on self, will DC 18/22 humanoid to attack

Spoiler
    Show
    Jon of the Green
    M NG Leser aasimar (magic blooded) healer, Level 5, Init +1, HP 27/27, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Quarterstaff +2 (1d6+1, x2)
    VOP (+5 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 24
    Condition sanctuary 5/5 rnds

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter gives his companion a hard look. Not bothering to whisper, her replies, "Jon, I am going to defeat that Bull as soon as I defeat this evil king. The one is far more corrupt than the other, and yet it can be redeemed. So too can these tiny green men. Jon, maybe the world has been too harsh on you, or maybe it has just been not harsh enough to me, but I find your lack of faith disturbing. There was one pure and honest soul. There will be more." Eye back on the threat, Sir Walter glares. Defeating this king may not bring about much peace. We need an inspirational leader to take over. Toox will fall corrupt. Hmmmm Forming a fledgling plan, he asks him companion: "Jon, I know others can return the spark of life to the dead. Can you?"

12. - Top - End - #72

The Heroic Battle Over Toox's Ex-Girlfriend

Toox wails out a cry for mercy that is sharpened by the pangs of unrequited love. Noooo...! My Sorry Sire! Forgiveness! I loves hers. I helps you an you please helps mes whilst I k'napps mah lovelies! The girlfriend for her part screams bloody murder in goblin while pointing at Sir Walter. Duk DUK DURKA DURKA!! Whatever she might be saying, Sir Walter is certain it is not polite. This is pure idiocy are its worst. He calls out his warning to surrender as the freshly woken goblins advance. Curse that moron Toox!

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate and Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate
    Sir Walter Joanson (1d20)[3] DC 11 or Shaken (-2 global and more likely to "break" morale)

Initiative
    Gobs (1d20+2)[18]

Sir Walter Joanson (1d20+3)[22]
    Jon of the Green (1d20+1)[8]

Sir Walter is ready for them, however. The goblins hardly clear the corner before the brave knight is on the move.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-15 at 11:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the harsh crude words Sir Walter assumed she was saying, he could not begrudge her. However, if she could not forgive him a simple mistake, he could tolerate her action either. Leaving her boyfriend for another with greater wealth is not lady-like, not is screaming excessively. "Lady, be quiet. You will find my patience is not infinite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Walter retains his stance, ready to smack the frst goblin who approaches, and has refused to drop their weapon.

(d20+13)[25]
    Any hits will automatically knock out.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"I never said they could not be redeemed. However such attempts, as you can see, may have to wait until their king has been met. He rules by strength and fear, the recent example enforcing his position. We will find little aid until that threat does not drive them. I also fear you overestimate our fallen ally, though we will not find out."

"No, I am not blessed with the power to calls souls back."

Spoiler
    Show
    no action until initiative comes up

15. - Top - End - #75

Round 2

Toox's two friends run away. They clearly did not think this through. What did they think a coup would look like?

Toox grabs his heart throb by the wrist and attempts to drag her outside. Come on mah sweets snail. Comes to pappa! She continues to scream maddeningly and tries to pull away and return to her fallen sugar daddy lying unconscious on the floor.

Spoiler
    Show

Grab (1d20+2)[4] vs AC 10
    Grapple (1d20)[6] vs (1d20)[7]

Toox manages to drag her only a couple of steps before she pulls her arm free.

The cavern is wide and tall, and the goblins are small and slow. If they didn't have spears and rocks, Sir Walter would feel like he was brawling with toddlers. They hesitate when Sir Walter readies his sword, but then a handful of brave (or "stupid" if you prefer) goblins lead a charge at a full on run. ShmACK!!! Sir Gallant clobbers the first one right on the nose. If its magic properties were not in place, his sword would have split the creature in half. one hit
    oooo
    one hit
    one hit
    Oooo
    One hit!

They whisper and cower in awe.

Git HYM! One of them calls and the attack is back on. The closer goblins with spears keep their distance, hoping for an opening. Some of the others hang back behind the ranks hucking stones and Sir Walter and Jon.

Spoiler
    Show

Will vs Jon's Sanctuary
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[17]

Stones thrown at Sir Walter
    (1d20+5)[8] and (1d3+2)[3]
    (1d20+5)[21] and (1d3+2)[5]
    (1d20+5)[10] and (1d3+2)[3]
    (1d20+5)[13] and (1d3+2)[3]

Clang!
    KLINK

BONG!

The rocks bounce off of Sir Walter's armour harmlessly. Two of the goblins can't even bring themselves to throw stones at Jon. They look confused. This is looking like it could be real easy. That's when a small stone finds its way to his cheek. It smarts!
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 dmg Sir

And more goblins begin wandering in the spectator's seating area for the arena.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-15 at 08:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Focus. Calmly dance with death.

Sir Walter shifts his weight, moving five feet south east, and swinging his sword angrily at the goblin standing alone. With all his enemies now west and south of him, he turns to face them.

"You all have fifteen seconds to drop your sticks and stones before I start to seriously hurt you."

Spoiler
    Show
    attack roll (d20+9)[10]
    Fighting defensively. -4 to hit +2 Ac

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"If you wish to simply go around them, say the word. However, I do not know that we will be able to find their king without a guide."
    Spoiler
    Show
    He can cast sanctuary on Sir Walter, then we could walk around them. Otherwise, your damage is too low to even spend a cure minor on (cure minor being good for 8 HP)

He calls to the assembled goblins, "Do not stand in our way. Show us to you king at let him prove the rightness of his rule."
    Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy (1d20+17)[18]

18. - Top - End - #78

His eyes narrow. The grip on his sword hilt tightens. The dance with death begins.

Spoiler
    Show

Toox Grab (1d20+2)[5]
    Grapple (1d20)[1] vs (1d20)[10]

Goblin Spears
    (1d20+2)[21] (1d20+2)[15] (1d20+2)[9] (1d20+2)[7]

Goblin Tackle
    AoO (1d20+4)[7] Didn't get that far. LOL. Weak jump.
    Jump (1d20)[12]
    (1d20+2)[20] Grapple (1d20-4)[1] vs (1d20+4)[13]

Goblin Rocks
    (1d20+1)[21] (-4 for in melee. Consequences for Nat 1)
    (1d20+1)[3]
    Natural 20. Ruling a hit despite AC 22. 1d3+2 on you, but you have some AC karma built up. ;P

Toox makes another grab for the whimpering screaming goblin girl. Her constant wailing is enough to make Sir Walter want to hit something, which at the moment is a bad thing. WWWwaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhh! Mah SNOOKIMS! He HITZ MAH SNOOKIMS!!!
    Toox yanks on her arm once or twice before she turns around and shoves him on the floor. She then makes a run for her unconscious goblin sugar daddy.

One rather daring goblin climbs to the top of the bleachers and makes a running dive for Sir Walter, but trips on his own feet in the process. He falls face first to the floor and lies dazed and prone. These fools are insane!

They advance on Sir Walter cautiously, thrusting their spears from multiple angles. His attention and focus is on defending himself, which is fortunate. He bats away each poke and prod with his sword. Thrust. Parry. Thrust! Thrust! Parry. They lack real combat experience. He can do this! He just has to focus...

DoNg!!! Another rock smacks him upside the head. His helmet saves him from a world of pain. Had he not been wearing protection the stone would have drawn blood and perhaps been a critical wound. Focus!

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-18 at 06:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack rolls then combat description based on rolls

(d20+13)[23]
    (d20+13)[16]

Sir Walter swung with a mighty effort, smacking one goblin hard enough to knock him flat onto the ground. Advancing forward, Sir Walter roared with primal vigor, letting his blade fuse with his movements and strike down anything that was in his path. His second strike hit air and he snarled at the goblin who stood before him now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack and defeat goblin right in front of me. Miss the second attack. Five foot step to the P labeled gobo
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-04-19 at 12:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"There are many of them and fighting each individually does us little good. Allow me to quiet them down." Jon raises his hands, calling clearly, "Peace, stay your hands." A low hum fills the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    calm emotions will DC 23, concentrating up to 5 rounds, 20' radius.

Should let us walk past.

21. - Top - End - #81

The goblins' bodies relax and several murmur in agreement with Jon's suggestion.
    Okeee Imma so sorry.
    is all good man
    whoh! I waz totes gonna fight, buh now... Naah!

The calming effect of Jon's magic is such an unnatural shift in their disposition that it is actually borderline creepy. But it works! They are no longer on the attack. Best of all the ear splitting shrieking of the girl has stopped. Instead, she just sits calmly with her boyfriend's head on her lap, stroking his hair.

Toox also seems to have calmed significantly. Iz okay. You keeps her big guy. Imma finds luv wit some gobs that luvs me. He has a distinct "alls well that ends well" smile on his face, which leads Jon and Sir Walter to wonder if his infatuation was more love or anxiety. He apologizes. Me sorry bauss. Com wit me. Runz waz mah frind. I shood help you an than worries bout mah probs. Come Come... He waves them on, encouraging them to continue to journey to the king with him.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's eyes stay half-closed as he keeps focused on the calming waves radiating from him. "Shall we proceed?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Fully prepared to leave the place looking like the end of an all goblin drinking binge, Sir Walter is surprised when suddenly the will to fight leaves everyone in the room. "I... yes, let's make haste. The King is our only Target here. Let us advance on him. Toox, do you guys have a prison here?

24. - Top - End - #84

No, no, nos. Bad Gobs that King no want kilt gets to fights in arena. THEN gets kilt! he explains with a satisfied smile. Apparently this makes perfect sense to him, though Sir Walter fails to see the logic.

Spoiler
    Show

More coming, but this is crunch time for exams so I may not do much (or anything) until Wednesday. Sorry. Hope you're having fun.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-22 at 03:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's eyes are still half-closed, the strain on his face worsening. "As quickly as possible, I must ask. My ability to concentrate on this enchantment is sharply limited, I fear."

26. - Top - End - #86

To the Throne Room!!!

They made good time, but it was a large cave system.

First their guide took them around the arena. On their right, he informed them, was where the puny goblins liked to sleep. They had triple bunk beds, he explained, which is why there were so many nearby when the gobliness screamed her pretty head of. They came to many branches in the cave system. Toox was very insistent that they take a specific route, though Sir Joanson could see they led to the same place.

Then Toox led them over a long, and frankly unstable, rope bridge. Again, he assured them that many many gobs had safely walked over this bridge time and time again, and only a few dozen were ever known to have fallen to their deaths. As they crossed, a draft blew fiercely. Below there was only inky blackness. Jon's calming magic was still radiating out of his bright and joyous heart, inflecting all that were nearby. Archers flanking the rope bridge smiled in a dopey manner and waved as they passed.

Their direction continued straight and true. The crossed over a wooden catwalk suspended over a pool of crystal blue, but not clear, water. It was a beautiful sight in a dreary setting. Toox pointed out the little splashes of fish tails as they went over. It was full of tiny Goblin eating fish, he said.

They walked down a set of wide uneven stone steps. Here the air was fouler than before. Toox said this was as far as he was willing to take them. They were at a crossroad. To the right, Toox told them, was the King's "playroom". To the left was his bedroom. If he were asleep, then he would be in there. Straight ahead was the throne room, where the Goblin King made pronouncements and head choppin's. "Goblin King" tisn't evn his reals names! Said Toox is a fearful and reverent whisper Is Bobby. Killum for mes.

It wouldn't be easy. Justice never was. The double door to the throne room was a thick reinforced wooden door. It must be barred from the other side, for it had no handles to speak of and it would not give way to a push.

The door to the bedroom was more traditional. It was a light wooden door with an ordinary, but rusty, simple padlock on the outside.

There was no door to the playroom. From that direction Sir Joanson and Jon could hear the croaky giggling of goblin women.

Mays I goes? Toox implored Sir Joanson. Jon's spell had just broken, and now Toox's emotions were decidedly not calm. He was scared.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter patted the little goblin on the head. "You've risked plenty, Tootz. If you want to leave, you pay, but you will be missing out on the finale."

Flexing, and doing a few quick stretches, Sir Walter nods to his companion. "Ready, Jon? We just need to decide where to look for this oppressor first."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"Each seems as likely as the other. We know little of his routine. I would presume he would have had word of our coming, or at least suspect it, so I would not think him to be asleep. Throne room seems most likely." He rests a hand on the young knights shoulder. "Goodness and righteousness shall protect us. They will not strike until we have spoken."

Spoiler
    Show
    sanctuary on both, himself second since it seems likely Sir Joanson will have to break its protection before too long.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter nods, then takes a deep breath and attempts to force the throne room's door open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on concentration check: 22
    Power surge: +8 str, 1 round
    (d20+8)[16] strength check to open the door.

30. - Top - End - #90

With his granted leave, Toox scampers off as fast as his little legs can carry him.

Sir Walter thrusts himself as a battering ram against the door. His armour adds weight and hence momentum as well as basic protection.
    One. BOOM
    Two. BOOM
    And on three, when Sir Walter was prepared to really give it his all, the door opens. Sir Walter nearly charged in headlong before he stops himself, realizing the door has been opened for him.

The door is flanked by two armoured guards who stand at attention with what could be called professionalism. There are two lit torches on either wall providing light, and there must be two more ahead of that. Sir Walter can see the shadows of two more guards dancing on the floor with the torch fire flickering. The chamber opens up widely. Uneven steps lead down into the throne room and into darkness, but way in the distance Sir Walter can see a figure sitting on a throne of stone. He is perhaps a hundred feet away and bathed in the faintest torch light. Between here and there is darkness. The guard behind him gives Sir Walter a slight nod to indicate he is to step forth and address "his majesty". At this moment, Jon is still on the outside looking in.