New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sir Joanson Part I: The Bull of Castle Rock (IC)

Jon looks carefully at the goo from a safe distance. "That...does not appear natural. I suspect there may be some link between what is in that tree and the maiden. Perhaps she was injured trying to heal the tree?" He places the dryad carefully on the ground and goes closer to get a better look.

Spoiler
    Show
    not sure which knowledge to roll. Most of his aren't great.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Tree? Sir Walter had spent the majority of his life learning moral codes, diplomacy and warcraft. And yet... "I think you are right. Don't dryads need trees or something? I only see one. We had best investigate. Maybe the sickness has spread to the tree, or maybe some fiend has damaged it. Either way, we should go to the tree. "

With a click and a long rasp, Sir Walter drew his sword. The likelihood of enemies was just enough to warrant having his blade at the ready. "If you can, carry her. If not we will come back for her. If you can't carry her, we will leave some of my food and my water here for her. Dry bread and berries seem like the things a dryad would eat. Maybe. Let's just hurry."
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-05-02 at 05:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tainted Tree

Jon places the dryad a short distance away before approaching the oak to get a good look. Those floating orange eye blink back at him from under a slathering of putrid green sludge. Curious...

Sir Walter Joanson is not far behind with his sword drawn. Just when Jon is an close as he dare to be, the oozing wound in the tree purges bile upon him.

SPLOOSH!

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort save DC 18 of 2d6 dmg and sickened for 1 round. Regardless, Jon is now covered in a thick green slime. He can take a full round action to scrape off the goo, or any other method you can think of to become goo free. No initiative is necessary at this time.

Jon has never felt so revolted in his life. He is covered from head to toe in a mucus. It's in his hair and his ears and his clothes are wet with it. One of those orange eyes sits on his head like the world's worst hat. This is far worse than falling in mud. It feeling more like the heavens above hocked a giant loogie on him. And something else too... he can feel an unnatural jealousy towards his friend working on him. It is a nagging tug at his emotions. For now he can resist it, but it drains him. It saps him of his vitality and sickens his stomach.

The venture up to the tree was not entirely fruitless. This slime is a creature itself, not a manifestation of the tree. Jon has seen how it has hollowed out a nest in the great oak and eaten it from the inside out.

MAP
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-02 at 07:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft to identify the effect? (1d20+10)[17]
    fort (1d20+5)[23]

Jon immediately starts scraping off the slime, tossing the eye to the ground in front of Sir Walter. "It seems unfriendly. It effects ones thought, breading resentment. Be careful, do not let it touch you if possible. Removing it from the tree...maybe it will help her." Another foolish knight, waving his sword about, seeking glory and honor. What has I ever gotten form all this?

No, these are not my thoughts. Resist

He tries to steady himself, but the world starts spinning as he fights the urge to wretch. He collects himself and continues wiping the goo onto the ground.
    Spoiler
    Show
    full round to scrape it off
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-02 at 07:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Jon's knowledge of the planes tells him that the creature is both elemental and demonic in nature. It is one of the physical manifestations of the Bull's corruption. As they venture further towards the Bull's lair and the land becomes more blighted by the Bull's evil they can expect to see many more creatures like this one.

Jon does not know how to remove the slime from the tree without harming the tree. He suspects fire or cold would drive it out, or perhaps some other elemental force.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

"What is that?" Sir Walter asks, taken aback by the slime. "Evil. I can tell that much. How do we destroy it?" Sir Walter gives the ooze a deft smack.

7. - Top - End - #127

As Sir Walter approaches all eyes (literally) turn to his sword. The ooze retreats deeper into the tree, leaving behind a trail of goo. He can see it retracted deep into the trunk. He would be able to jab at it if he stuck his arm in perhaps, but he doesn't relish the thought of reaching into that moist dripping hole.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

"Fire. Or cold. Either ought drive the creature from its nest. Try lighting the torches."
    Spoiler
    Show
    curse limited spell lists! But that was the whole point. If Jon could solve every problem with a spell, it would be his story.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-03 at 07:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter shakes his head. "No, that might ignite the tree. If we need heat or cold, then he need cold. That is within the realm of magic, which would be your domain, not mine."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

"No such power is granted to me. I can repair wounds and ward against blows, but I do not command the elements. Take a care with the flame and there is little enough risk. A hard old oak will not ignite quickly. We need only drive the thing from the tree, I suspect."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Frowning, Sir Walter produced and lit a torch. "I'm not sure how you mean to do it. So why don't you chase it out and I'll make sure to protect you, if it attacks."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action: Splat the ooze if it gets in a position for me to whack it.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Hand me a lit torch. I can hold it close and see if the creature recoils form it." He approaches carefully, placing the flame between himself and the goo. Once next to the tree, he hold the torch as close as he dare without scorching the afflicted wood.

13. - Top - End - #133

Jon holds the torch at the very base because in order the stick the torch in the cavity of the tree he needs to point it downward. The flame run up the shaft of the torch, and just when the heat to his hand is becoming unbearable the creature stirs.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative

Bad Guy (1d20+1)[10]

Sir Walter Joanson (1d20+3)[6]
    Jon of the Green (1d20+1)[8]

He is unable to step out of the way before the slime moves through him and towards Sir Walter in a windy gooey zig zag which leaves a long trail of slime and orphaned orange eyeballs.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-04 at 03:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Jon can feel the slime seeping deeper into the fabric of his clothes. He can also feel the same wicked thoughts of bitter jealousy and resentment seeping into his mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll off for initiative. Darklink, you need to add +4 to Misc for your Imp Init feat. I almost missed that.
    Bad Guy (1d20+1)[19]
    Sir Walter Joanson (1d20+7)[14]

Jon
    (1d20+5)[13] Fort DC 18 or (2d6)[8] save means half damage. Save failed and slimed

If Sir Walter Attacked
    (1d20+12)[16] if hit (2d8+7)[17] and "Slimed" Miss
    (1d20+12)[15] if hit (2d8+7)[16] and "Slimed" Miss
    Rolls considered spoiled if Sir Walter wins initiative.

The creature flows like mud through Jon, who actually is a sickly green colour now. The green sludge pours itself at him swiftly. He is prepared and strikes it with his sword. He is barely able to dodge two wave like assaults that come at him afterward. He receives some splatter, but it is easily wiped off his armour.

Map
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-05 at 11:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If my prepared attack can go off:
    (d20+13)[23] : (3d6+6)[14]

Sir Walter does not understand the enemy before it, but he can understand that it fears both fire and steel: one of which Sir Walter can happy give to it.

Sir Walter takes a step closer to the tree and swings angrily at slime. His first swing arcs angrily at the slime as it emerges, but the odd feeling of hitting throwns Sir Walter off balance, but he swings his sword again, regaining his footing only to finally bring the blade to a resting point on the slime once more.

Two harsh whacks, but the nasty thing doesn't seem dead. Sir Walter regains his stance and prepared to unleash hell.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+13)[20] : (3d6+6)[16]
    (d20+8)[9] : (3d6+6)[9]

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops. +4 added
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-05-06 at 12:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Jon moves closer to Sir Walter as he scrapes the goo off yet again, fearing that it may have an ongoing effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft closer to the knight and full-round to scrape it off

17. - Top - End - #137

He feels like he's splashing a stick in water. He's not even sure if he's doing anything. He must be though... With each swing dozens of the little orange eyes are flung from the slimy mass and lay splattered on the grass like fallen eggs. It is with great disgust and discomfort that Sir Walter is christened into the slime covered gentleman's club when the blob passes through him.

Spoiler
    Show

Fort save DC 18
    Sir Walter Joanson (1d20+8)[20] Success
    (2d6)[6] and sickened; save means 1/2 dmg and not sickened

(1d20+12)[31] if hit (2d8+7)[14] and slimed Hit
    (1d20+12)[15] if hit (2d8+7)[11] and slimed Miss

Sir Walter feels a single blow to the back of his head before turning around. He feels disgusting!
    And rather annoyed with Jon for some reason.

MAP
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-06 at 09:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

A light shimmers over Jon as the fatigue from the fight fades away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    cure minor wounds to fix 7 HP nonlethal

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

"Vile thing.." Sir Walter mutters below his breath, refocusing his anger towards his opponent. Deep breathe. Concentrate on the enemy. Swing hard.

Swoosh.

Spoiler
    Show
    take 10 for conc: +8 star until next round.

Bone crushing strike: (d20+17)[26] (7d6+10)[30]

20. - Top - End - #140

Spoiler
    Show

What do you mean by this "take 10 for conc: +8 star until next round."
    Same map.

Sir Walter makes a powerful cut through the jelly. It splashes everywhere, and it is apparent that it is now stretching itself thin.

Suddenly gooey tendrils rise from the residue surrounding and on Sir Walter. They attempt to anchor him to the ground pull him into the dirt.

Spoiler
    Show

Grapple (1d20+3)[10] vs Sir W (1d20+4)[7]
    if succeed then (1d8+3)[4] crushing dmg.

The main slime in front of him blinks its many eyes quizzically. It tries to slam itself against him like a big gross hammer.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[19] if hit (2d8+7)[21]
    (1d20+12)[14] if hit (2d8+7)[20]
    If Sir W is grappled then he is FF. No penalty for striking into this unique grapple.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Jon notices the battered state of his companion. He reaches out with a hand wreathed in white fire. "Be healed. I am sorry, I had not realized the extent of your wounds."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter grunts in appreciation of being healed, but is also stuck in a grapple. He tries to jerk free, and back away, headed as far east as he can this action.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+11)[30]

23. - Top - End - #143

Sir Walter Breaks free of the sticky tendrils and flees eastward. As he passes the monster makes a lunge at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO
    (1d20+12)[31] for (2d8+7)[10]

SpLosH! His back is whacked and will bruise the next morning. He feels a wet sticky glop trickle down his back.

Jon is now so much closer than Sir Walter, and so the beast focuses its attention on him. It charges the wise counselor...

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+14)[23] for (2d8+7)[20] (-2AC for it this turn) if hit then slimed...
    I humbly suggest you withdraw as a full round action.

Jon is also hit. He's beginning to tire of cleaning himself only to be sullied again.

In breaking free of the beast's slime, Sir Walter brushed off one of those orange eyes. The eye hops into the mass of the beast before the charge. It occurs the Sir Walter that the beast must only be able to use this ability when the victim is covered in enough slime and one of these eyes is also attached.

The Dryad wakes. She weakly lifts herself to her knees but is given new vigor when she sees the Ooze. She mouths a silent scream and begins crab walking backwards and away from the terror before her.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-09 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Jon backs away in the same direction Sir Walter went, putting distance between himself and the blob.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter rushed past Jon, invigorating him with a battle shout and the tactics of the White Raven. Sir Walter collided with the slime with all the ferocity of a rampaging Minotaur.

Spoiler
    Show
    White Raven Tactics: Swift Action - Target Ally moves after you, gaining another round.

Charging with Charging Minotaur

Attack Roll: (d20+15)[22]
    Damage: (3d6+6)[17]
    Free Bullrush: Str Check - (d20+4)[19] Pushing it Westward, away from tree

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Jon advantage of the respite to relieve his own injuries.

Spoiler
    Show
    cure mod wounds (2d8+13)[23]

if Sir Walter gets too hurt, Jon can cast close wounds as an immediate action

27. - Top - End - #147

Sir Joanson Walter the brave and mighty rushes his foe in a relentless assault against the infectious ooze. He cuts it down to size, literally. With every slice it visibly diminishes. It is hard to say for sure, but this wicked puss ball looks to be as hurt as he is, with one critical difference. Sir Walter has a healer.

Spoiler
    Show

Done on phone. Please adjust rolls if I'm remembering anything wrong.

Opposed str check re: bull rush done with real dice (because I mucked up the forum dice). Bull rush succeeds.

(1d20+12)[26] for (2d8+7)[17]
    (1d20+12)[14] for (2d8+7)[21]

I understand the concern with the AoO. The rules are actually that an AoO is provoked whenever a target moves out of a threatened square. This guy was too hard for you. I wanted to test your actual CR threshold as a two PC team. It's about a 5 or a 6. This creature is a 7/8 and I probably won't go that high again except on special occasions.

But you're beating it legit! One more ought to do it.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-10 at 12:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter met the creatures first attack with a vicious parry and fell into a slow, heavy swing follow by a quick swipe.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+13)[22] New AC versus first attack (Wall of Blades)
    (d20+13)[33] attack1
    (d20+8)[25] attack2
    (3d6+6)[22] damage1
    (3d6+6)[22] damage2

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    confirm crit
    (d20+13)[16] attack
    (3d6+6)[14] damage

30. - Top - End - #150

With a furry of sword swings Sir Walter splatters the last of the monster over the hillside. There is nothing left to swing at, just a wet and gooey hill. It was a brutal and relatively lengthy battle. It lasted a full minute, perhaps more. While a layman wouldn't consider that long, the seasoned knight knew that in actuality most fights were over in seconds. A full minute of battle against a worthy foe was exhausting. You used every muscle in your body and your mind. You had to expend yourself, or die.

Sweat dripped out of every pore and he was covered from head to toe in slippery discharge. The Dryad was quickly recovering with the blob's demise. She approached Sir Walter now.

You have saved me from a fate worse than death dear knight. The corruption that covers this land stops here today with your act of kindness. How can I ever repay you?

She kneels before him, weeping in gratitude. Already the colour returns to her skin and life to her eyes.
    Glop!
    A huge drop of slime falls from shoulder. He feels disgusting.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-10 at 04:35 PM.