New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road II - Echoes of the Past

“But those rare souls, whose spirit gets magically into the heart of others, leave behind them something more real and warmly personal than bodily presence, an ineffable and eternal thing. It is everlasting life touching us as something more than a vague, ill-defined concept. The sound of a great name dies like an echo; the splendour of fame fades into nothing; but the grace of a fine spirit pervades the place which it has passed, like the haunting loveliness of Spring.”

J. Thuberhoof, Equestrian Author.

IC Thread 1: The Broken Road
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road II - Echoes of the Past

Crown scowled furiously at the collective ignorance to his plight, turning up his nose with a noticeable *hmmph!* "Well I for one would appreciate resting in a place with a slight more protection against the ravages of random and sundry wildlife and the rain. My coat does not agree well with common rainwater."
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

"That's three for the canyon," stated the pegasus, looking at the colt at his side. Protection from the rain, his fuzzy flank! What did he expect, a feathering castle?

Not that Dive Bomb would mind finding something like that. Imagine the things he could find there, or even books! Did the ponies here even have books? Had he seen any in the memory?

Focus. Focus on the now.

"Are you alright?" he asked grudgingly. "Fainting is generally a bad sign."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot frowned as she dredged up half-remembered snippets of Lawrence of Marabia and other such desert-focused pieces of fiction. "I thought that it was a bad idea to go in a canyon during a storm? Maybe we should try slightly higher ground."

Not that there was an overabundance of that around. She looked up to slope of the dunes around her, her legs quivering at the thought of pulling herself and the sled up yet another slope.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Crown scoffed loudly. "Alright? Of course I'm alright. A Cork is always ready and capable for the trials at hoof." He shut his eyes and turned his nose up, the very picture of furiously recovering dignity. "And for your information, I did not faint; as I said, some small, zippy wilderness creature must have struck me on the head. It did not count on me being tough prey, and thus it fled."

As tempting as the canyon was, a part of him was cautioned by Miss Spot's words. Did not floods sweep through canyons such as these? Did not greater dangers lurk within them? "Ah...Ambassador, have you encountered such canyons? Are they really so dangerous?"
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-04-10 at 11:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not in my experience, but while I've camped in several places, a desert canyon is not one of them" replied the ambassador.

7. - Top - End - #7

"The greatest danger I could think of in a canyon would be a flood," declared Dive Bomb. "In which case, we could collect the water we need."
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Water, shelter, a concealed resting place, whatever are we waiting for?" Crown tossed his mane - somehow still marginally groomed - and advanced forward. "If all it costs is a little extra time to march, then we should take a little extra time to rest in the morning."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The sun burst over the horizon as the party approached the rocks, bathing the cloudless sky in a coppery red and the landscape in gold. Immediately, the temperature began to rise, boiling away the last vestiges of the night's coldness.

As the party exited the sandy valley and approached the rocks, they soon had a better view of the canyon in question.

Spoiler
    Show

Unlike most canyons, which one would assume remained level from start to finish, this one sloped gently downwards between the broken and jagged cliffs. The group could chart a relatively smooth path towards a sandy plain in the distance, although some care would be needed with regards to the sled if they went much further along the rock-strewn ground.

Still, there were plenty of possible camping sites for the party to pick from at the mouth of the canyon. They could pitch tents in the open, or in the shade of one of the large boulders in order to use the shale as a windbreak. While that would still leave them somewhat exposed to the sun, there were also some caves that would provide even more shelter should they choose.

Iggy, meanwhile, was regarding the boulders with intense concentration. He hummed, he hawwed, and circled them thrice before apparently satisfying himself enough to give the boulder a gentle flick with his hoof.

*tink*

"Good news everypony! These ones don't make you disappear!!" he called back, his investigations complete.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Surely, your powers of deduction must be on par with such geniuses as Fetlock Holmes," is what the pegasus didn't say. After all, that would be rude, and from what he'd observed, such rudeness appeared to be something that could only be used between close friends. His observational skills must be the match of at least one pony here, he mused grimly.

Now, where to set up? The glorious orb on the horizon glowed a rosy red, promising a blazing heat later on. Already, he could feel the coolness of the night melting away; If he wished to recover any of his usually boundless energy, he'd need to find a place with lots of shelter.

Yet that would mean...

The cave yawned before him like the maw of some great primal beast, gaping wide to swallow him whole. Swallowing, Dive Bomb resolved that he'd set up his tent on the very edge of the cave entrance. That way he'd only have to go... inside... if it got really hot. Inside... in the cramped... limited... no-sky...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Masterful work, Mister Igneous!" Crown called back and promptly hopped on a rock. Just because he could. "It should be a welcome relief that we may traverse this canyon without another share of magical foolery to contend with."

His curiosity sated about the rocks, he set about unpacking his own tent deeper into the cave. "Ah, this is more like it, eh? A nice, cool cavern, safe from heat and prying eyes. Still, do you think we ought to post a guard? I shudder to think that we may wake up in the talons of such ruffians."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, if you think it prudent, we do have two to pick from." replied the ambassador.

Iggy, meanwhile, had begun batting small rocks around with his hooves, much in the same vein as a kitten would treat a ball of yarn.

The caves were surprisingly large, despite outward appearances to the contrary. They stretched back far enough that the bright light of the sun failed to illuminate their farthest reaches. Around the mouth, at least, there was plenty of flat ground to choose from.

13. - Top - End - #13

"I'll look around," stated the pegasus quietly. That made sense, right? Find Rinda, check for enemies, see if he couldn't spot that cloud... Totally not the cave.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The brightening sky made it easier to pick out Rinda as she circled above the party. The griffoness was flying high, a brown speck against the blue, and well away from anyone.

There were no clouds in the sky, nor any signs of the griffon bandits they'd faced earlier. The buildings of Sanctum, still some ten or so miles distant, rose in the flatlands beyond the canyon, tall and angular against the desert dunes.

Something dark and skeletal lay against a dune back along the direction they had travelled. It lay just on the far side of the northern dune, and had likely been just out of sight when they were walking along earlier.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the rocks that Iggy kicked bounced up against Grease's hoof. She idly kicked it back in his direction, before finally getting herself out of the harness of the sled.

"This should make a pretty good place. I'm definitely going bed. It's been a long night." She pulled out on of the makeshift tents, and began setting it up as a lean-to to block the sunlight from the entrance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

It didn't take long for everypony to collect their sleeping supplies from the sled. Soon enough, the campsite took form around the mouth of the cave. With the lean to and the stone blocking out the sun, most of the tents were instead used to provide some respite from the hard and rocky ground.

The ambassador lay down on a patch of stone near the cave wall and began to tuck in to some of the food from the sled. Despite the losses there was still plenty of food to go around.

Water, on the other hoof, was going to be a problem. Only four rations remained to be divided between the seven of them.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh, this was not good. Sure, they'd all known, leaving the train, that there really wasn't enough water to get all the way to... whereever they were going, but at this rate, they wouldn't even reach the oasis! That's if the splotch of blue really was an oasis, and not just a bunch of brightly colored rocks.

It seemed increasingly urgent that they hurry, not waste time, and not get distracted. Yet there was an equally strong portion of himself arguing that he'd not get another chance to study this civilization again, and thus he needed to spend as much time as possible right now to figure out what they were like, what their customs were, what they did on a daily basis... Maybe he'd even get lucky and there would still be ponies there!

He had to admit, though, that the general condition of... well, pretty much everything they'd found indicated that Sanctum City was not likely to be better than a pile of sandstone rubble.

Theyd deal with that issue when the time came; for now, he had to decide what to do. He cradled the container, staring at the liquid splashing around inside and tried not to think about it as he put it back down. There were others who needed it more than him.

"How did the sled fall?" he asked, glaring needles at the colt. As if he didn't know; after all, he'd felt the weight of those rations right along with Cork. Yet, five minutes after he left, the sled was in the sand and the water was missing? Not a good recipe for a happy pegasus.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot began looking through the caves. This was more like it, the deserts had been far too open for her liking but caves were snug and easier to hide in if need be. Still, better be on the safe side and take a quick look further in. No one would be getting any sleep if they turned out to be sleeping in the mouth of a dragon's lair.
    course if said dragon was sleeping soundly and we were very quiet I'm sure he wouldn't miss a few gems...

First things first, a detect life spell. It probably wouldn't find things most likely to be inside a cave, but having some warning on any dragons in there would be for the best.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect life: spell 1+ mind 4
    (1d20+5)[19]
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hardly two days into the wilderness, and already their first real, team dilemma. Four rations of water. Seven bodies. And no guarantee if more water would be coming.

Naturally (and with great reluctance) Crown stayed his own hoof. A leader was nothing without their followers, no? Better that they should be cared for first, so that they may be ready and able for the trials ahead. That still left two bodies who would go thirsty...

The colt snapped up when he became aware of a question shot his way. "Hmmph. I imagine something must have sent them over the edge in our little scramble with the bandits." Crown huffed, none too pleased with his subordinate's tone. "I can't recall; their arrival was a blur of activity, and I was far more concerned with keeping my composure and ensuring the safety of everypony and everygriffon. Which is more than I can say for certain parties." He fired a withering glare at Soot...only to have her back and hindquarters take the brunt of his disapproval. It was difficult, remaining cross at a pony so industrious and resourceful as Soot, but he would find a way to manage. For her own sake and the group's, he would be angry as long as they needed him to be.

Such self-sacrifice! Now if only his sweetums could see him now...

20. - Top - End - #20

"I had thought you would know how we lost our supplies," stated the pegasus, "as you were responsible for the cart that held them." The glare intensified to a level almost approaching a normal expression.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot began looking through the caves. This was more like it, the deserts had been far too open for her liking but caves were snug and easier to hide in if need be. Still, better be on the safe side and take a quick look further in. No one would be getting any sleep if they turned out to be sleeping in the mouth of a dragon's lair.
    course if said dragon was sleeping soundly and we were very quiet I'm sure he wouldn't miss a few gems...

First things first, a detect life spell. It probably wouldn't find things most likely to be inside a cave, but having some warning on any dragons in there would be for the best.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect life: spell 1+ mind 4
    [roll0]
    Soot's spell snapped into place, but apart from the ponies (and griffon) behind her, it didn't show up anything. She could tell that the spell was working correctly, this time at least, but it just wasn't picking anything up.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, but I hardly be counted responsible for getting surprised by bandits. That responsibility would fall upon our scout, would it not?" Dive Bomb's glare was returned with a vengeance. Soot could get a dressing-down later for her rash actions, while their wayward scout could get his scolding here and now.

23. - Top - End - #23

Nope, they were not making this about him. Another attempt to shift blame would not fly-- not here, not now, and by Pansy, not from him. "I note that Miss Spot was indubitably just as surprised as you were, yet somehow she made it through without losing vital supplies."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    One of the rocks that Iggy kicked bounced up against Grease's hoof. She idly kicked it back in his direction, before finally getting herself out of the harness of the sled.
    The little rock had been welcomed back from its short sojurn with open hooves, but it was forgotten as the pegasus and earth pony began to argue.

One might have said that the unicorn possessed the courage and force of personality to put down such a fight himself without the need of anyone else to intervene. This would, of course, have been a such a blatant lie that it would likely have caused the supreme justice of the Equestrian Court to roll over in her bed.

Given that Blind Scales was a notoriously heavy sleeper (seriously she snores), not to mention that she was currently an indeterminate distance away in Canterlot, this would have really been quite the feat.

Instead, Iggy attempted to direct Grease's attention towards the confrontation, using a dictionary's worth of silent gestures and nudges.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Oh-ho? Trying to wriggle away from his just desserts? Not on this Cork's watch, and he wouldn't have much luck trying it on his sketchbook or paints either. Crown stood, and shifted into one of his best authoritative voices. "Yes, by the grace of Celestia she kept hold of her supplies, and she should be commended for her actions under fire. But let us not forget; she suffered greatly at the talons of our captors, Soot could have very well been harmed, and they very nearly made off with the dear Ambassador! Where was our trusted scout, whom was to warn us of the dangers ahead? What was he up to when we were all treated roughly at sword and g...gunpoint? Hmm?!"

Crown let out a long, disappointed sigh, and shook his head gravely. "I too, lament the loss of our precious supplies, but your actions deserve an accounting for. Have you anything to say for yourself, Mister Bomb?"

Last-name basis. Things were getting serious.

26. - Top - End - #26

Oh, he did not just go there. This pony had the uncanny ability to get under his skin, to rankle and push at all the little buttons. That voice, that stance, that irrepressible assurance that what he said must naturally be true...

Okay, polite reservedness had not worked. Time to go full-on sarcasm and hope that maybe one of the barbs would penetrate that thick skull.

"Oh," he drawled, "you'll have to excuse my absence. After all, I was only attempting to lead away the griffons from the group, so your finely-groomed mane wouldn't get too much sand in it. I'm sure you can see that it was pure selfishness that led me to try to get four griffons to chase me so they wouldn't get to you.

"And the firework I sent to alert you that something had gone wrong? I'm sorry, that must have been too subtle to penetrate your delicate skull.

"Oh, and let's not forget how when Rinda offered me her help fighting against the lone griffon that actually followed me, I told her that she had better go fight for the group. Never mind, of course, that the griffon was quite angry at me, and that single combat was likely to result in my death.

"Noo! How silly of me!" The sarcastic grin plastered on Dive Bomb's face could have frozen a blast furnace. "Of course it's no matter when Crown Cork loses precious supplies! After all, who would think to blame him for how he acts? No! Let's blame the pegasus who helped pacify Tarn enough that he didn't blow a hole in you when you gave him a loaded gun!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"Boys!" Grease barked, cutting into the colts' argument. "It doesn't matter who's fault it was. Placing blame won't help any of us now. What will help is going to bed and saving your energy for tomorrow. Not wasting it yelling at each other."

I sound like my mother, she thought, to some amount of internal bemusement.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Crown - to his eternal shame - flinched back at the colt's retaliation, a splash of pallor flitting through his features. "Mister Bomb, you are out of line!" he sternly reproached, and it was then that Miss Spot intervened.

"I was not arguing; I was scolding," the mocha colt corrected with a toss of his mane. "A Cork does not merely argue. It is a waste of energy, a futile, savage practice, and most seemly for one of our stature. A scolding improves the future performance of the group, allows for self-reflection, and weeds out sloppy practices." As he recited his rules, he kept his eyes locked on the unruly pegasus'. "That, Miss Spot, can hardly be considered a waste of energy."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot had tried to ignore them, after all there were more important things at hoof, like a dragon-free but still potentially dangerous cave to scout. But this was getting to be too much. At this rate anything in there will wake up and find us instead of the other way round. She angrily exhaled and stormed over to the two colts.

"Sit."
    she said simply but firmly to the pair while pointing at some slightly elevated spots in the cave floor to serve as make-shift seats.
    If any of the kids had been there, they would have recognized her tone as The trouble voice the one she reserved for when they fought.

Looking squarely at the two she added, to ensure there was no misunderstanding.
    "Now."
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

30. - Top - End - #30

"And a scolding implies that something must have been done wrong," ground the pegasus, staring right back at Crown. "Therefore, if one is to be scolded, it's the one who lost our water, and not the one who wore out his wings to save your life."

He closed his eyes, forcing his bristling wings to lay flat against his side. There was wisdom in what Grease had said. Deep breath in... and deep breath out. The fury receded, bottled up once more, until by the time he opened his eyes again, the only remnant visible of his anger was a slightly more bitter look in his eyes. He nodded to the two fillies in the room, and stalked to the cave entrance, not looking back at the other colt.