Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default A Current Ridden

Background Information

Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy has heard tell of strange goings on in an old jungle that few travel near, known as the Samarlough. The waters have gotten deeply disturbed, and the mountains have always been nigh impassable. Fearing that nature was somehow out of balance from outside influences, he wants to set things right. He was unwilling to go alone, but unable to find anyone to help until he met Serville. Serville's interest was piqued in that he might be able to find more about weather-based magic, which is subtle yet powerful, and do some good in the process by making the waters safer to travel.

The pair of you managed to charter a caravel with a gnomish captain named Sirri. She's excited at the challenge of sailing safely through uncharted waters, and her crew is just crazy enough to try it. Her caravel, known as the Riptide, is a fairly new, fine seaworthy vessel.

Spoilered for post size.

Serville
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Creak. Creeeeeak. *

Sigh. Even a new vessel won't be quiet, will it?

You must admit, it's nice. Not half a year ago, you were stuck on that godforsaken island. The priests wanted something, something they may have gotten, but you feel that they've not finished somehow. This tattoo...you want it off, but you don't know how yet. Then you met...him. You refuse to even think the name to yourself. Something about him just radiated...wrong. Power placed in the wrong hands. You were quick to distance yourself, but the loss of studying those towers was depressing. And now? Yet another study of the magics of the weather present themselves. This time, however, something's gone wrong, something's changed, and nobody's investigated yet. SO exciting.

*creaaak.*

Grrr. No way to study in here. You don't even care if its all that dry anymore, you want land. Lets head outside and see the ocean a bit.

Crazy
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Splish, creak, sloosh.*
    The sounds of the water against the hull of the Riptide fill your ears. The endless depths meet the tortured lumber, a stalemate as the seas drag you in and the wood stubbornly refuses. A waste of a good tree, you would normally think, but you are forced to admit it's taking you exactly where otherwise couldn't travel. At least, not with any allies.

And you are most certainly going to need those. Hardy sailors in well built ships don't completely avoid places just for rough weather, this is something more. As if the land itself is lashing out somehow, but that doesn't fit either. What few reports exist suggest the land is dying, not overgrowing. A Fallen druid, perhaps? The thought makes you shudder.

While some meditation might help, you've some duties around the ship, too. mostly keeping the men supplied with fresh water, but some basic duties as well, taken to cheapen your ride. It keeps your hands busy, and makes the time pass, so you don't regret it at all. Opening your eyes slowly, you spot a sail on the horizon. Perhaps you should notify the captain.

The pair of you are on the deck of the Riptide. A ship of unknown allegiance is on the horizon, about 1:00. 7 men and captain Sirri are aboveboard, the 8 night crewmen are sleeping belowdecks in the racks, and another 3 work various jobs not directly related to moving the ship smoothly on the lower decks somewhere.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A Current Ridden

I'm going to rummage through my Bag of Holding II for my Spyglass, and try using it to get a better look at the ship

Spoiler
    Show
    Some time this weekend I'll sketch my character and share it, as is fairly typical of me
    From my bottom to my top!
    Loving those who love me back!
    Hop hop hippity, hippity hop!
    All day long for this rabbit in black!

3. - Top - End - #3

DrowGuy

You observe a strange vessel, looking almost too thin to stay upright, but stay it does. Sails cut into the shape of large birds catch the wind, and the whole ship has a sleek elegance to it. It looks to be of a similar size to your own. neither of your ships currently fly any colors.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll find Sirri and inform her of the vessel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'll go with him to inform Sirri, after telling my druid companion. Milomile is going to be perched on my shoulder.

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGuy

The pair of you are less than perfectly aware of how a ship works, but nobody seems to have brought light of this ship forward. You guys decide to bring it up to Captain Sirri.

As you walk up the stairs to the quarterdeck, you overhear the first mate talking.

"...and we seem to be drifting. Something's wrong with the currents here, I'm sure of it. We need to turn 9 degrees west to get back on course, that's way too much too fast."

Sirri, standing on a platform to allow her to properly use the wheel, replies. "Aye, Mr. Spot, you're right." She turns the wheel slightly. "Hang a current droop o'er starboard, and inform the guys what's going on. I want every sailor here knowing the situation."

As the first mate leaves, Sirri addresses you. "Both of you? You got business, lads?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, I've observed another vessel, a strange one, in that direction from our ship (pointing towards it). We've come simply to inform you of it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crazy nods in agreement

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGuy

"Step 'ere and hold the wheel while I have a peek." She walks to the railway, gets a leg up, and uses her own rather worn spyglass to check it out.

"well, good eyes, you got it before our lookout even. Maybe I gotta thump him on the head. What we have there is an elven wingship. Lot sturdier than they look, and they're the fastest ships on the seas." She retakes the wheel. "The GOOD news is that they're never sold and rarely lost, so piracy is out of the question. The BAD news is that we have no idea who they are and what their intentions are. Did you lot have any enemies before coming on this trip? Because it seems to me that finding a ship of any kind just out of sight of our destination is a mighty coincidence, if you catch my meaning."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"I may have had a few in my lifetime, but then those like me usually do. I don't recognize that vessel as anyone who would be after me for any reason, though. I haven't had contact with a purely elvish community in some time, since I left home to pursue magical studies as a young boy."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crazy moves against the railing looking at the ship. "I've no elven enemies," he saysgruffly, "Well save for the dark elves." He turns, his red eyes the only thing visible under his dark brown hood. "Is there a way to hail them at this distance?"
    Last edited by CrazyLittleMan2; 2013-09-29 at 10:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

DrowGuy

"We could signal them soon, but if they don't want to talk I'd rather not. Your mission is probably fine by them, but there's enough funny business with sideways currents and random seas that I'd rather not be too close to anther ship. They're a lot faster than we are, though, so a meeting happens if they want it, not if we do."

The dark-skinned Mr. Spot comes back up the stairs. "Maam, the current is heading straight out from the reefs. It doesn't make sense, they should be blocking it."

The captain considers the situation briefly. "Lock rudder West South West, and tack into the wind. We'll fight it until we slide by. Get someone up into the crows nest and tell lookey to keep an eye for reefs, and prepare to drop emergency anchor. Finally, keep an eye on that ship, out that way. I'm gonna check our charts, see if anything explains this."

The two of you idle as the orders are followed. For the next couple of hours, nothing much changes. the current stays, and the ship has lost speed from its direction change. The waves increase, but the size is barely perceptible, and from your limited experience, normal as the day goes on. The only significant change is the elven ship: it grows and grows, clearly approaching you on the sarboard side. At 1000 feet out, the captain takes a position on the quarterdeck and orders a white flag raised, and the ballista pointed port.

At this distance, there's little need for a spyglass. While the people themselves are too small to really see, the ship is clearly elegant in nature, half maritime vessel, half work of art, Two light ballistae rest on the forecastle, one pointing in each way. Light green wooden siding and railway line her port side, and 8 men are working the main deck.

Which part of the ship do each of you want to be on at this point?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crazy will be next to the captain. "If they do not respond, I can either scry or fly over there," he said, "And if they mean ill intent, I'll blow them away..."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to be on the starboard side, keeping close watch of the ship. I'll be 5 feet away from the edge, my Steadying Robe letting me ignore any rocking of the ship. Milomile will be curled up in the hood at the back of my neck, safe from potential harm for the moment.

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGuy

The ship draws closer, about 500 feet, then turns a bit to sail parallel and raising a plain white flag. The inhabitants are all elves. When she sees this, Sirri breathes a small sigh. A hawk flies to your ship, carrying a small scroll on it. It deposits the scroll, then returns to the elven ship, sitting in the rigging.

When you open the scroll, it reads with a flowing script:

To the Commander of this vessel:

We fly a white flag, but are under orders not to let anyone past, by decree of Erikanus, King of the Samarlough elves. Set sail Southeast 1 day to avoid territorial waters, or drop anchor and prepare to receive boarding parties.

Regrettably yours,
    Starbeam, Capt.
    SMV Fairwind

"Uh oh. Just, uh, how important is this mission of yours?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Our story would be over before it begins," Crazy replies. "I believe Serville and I should meet with these elves and explain our case."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Our mission is important, and good will come of it, though the results of my current aims are a bit more long-term in scope. I'd like to drop anchor and explain why we've come. If they still will not let us pass, then we should sail away peacefully, as these people wish. This could be a wonderful opportunity and I'd regret not trying to make the most of it."

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGuy

She gives the pair of you an interested look, then says, "I'm leaving negotiations to you then. I'm just your chartered ride, in the end.

"All hands, prepare to lay anchor! Slack sail, unlock the rudder, and prepare to receive visitors!"

A flurry of motions swirls around the ship. The ship loses what speed it still had, then all 4 anchors are dropped and it settles into place. The Fairwind eases forward, stopping about 200 feet out, and drops a small boat with 4 elves. You, Mr. Spot, Captain Sirri, and 2 sailors greet them on the main deck.

"A very good day to you, gentleman. Milady. I am captain Starbeam, and am under orders not to let anyone into the boiling reef. for what purpose are you headed there?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crazy takes a step forward and gave a slight bow. "I am Kraseish, a high druid of the Emerald Forest, Hero of the Kingdom or Lorac, and Slayer of the Dragon Lich Mordrake." He pauses a moment before continuing. "I have come to investigate the rumors of a sickened land and if I find such land. I vill cure it."

20. - Top - End - #20

DrowGuy

The captain's eyes narrow at you. "Your rumors are true, as far as they go. but there is more to it.

"The waters themselves are boiling. That is neither hyperbole nor metaphor, you can fish for pre-cooked fish right now, though only monsters would still live. The jungle is rotting into a swamp of the worst kind, and the winds shift dangerously into storm weather when anyone approaches, from air or sea. While His Majesty decides what to do, His royal decree is that none shall enter these waters. Believe us, it's for your own safety."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crazy moves to the railing. "That would explain the water then..." He turns. "How is your craft sailing through these waters?"

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGuy

"Its not out here, you would be being overrun with ten foot seas or higher and we would be unable to have this conversation. The effect start another few leagues west. We can breach the edge of the storms, but little more."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"The decree may be for our own safety, but I am perfectly willing to put my own safety at risk if good may be done. These weather disturbances are unnatural and dangerous, and I have a hunch that magic is at work. As a magical scholar, I wish to learn exactly what is going on, and use my own magic and knowledge to counteract it. If at all possible I would also like to teach magic within your kingdom, for practical and good purposes."

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGuy

Captain Starbeam puts three fingers lightly to his forehead, closing his eyes. "Fine. If you and this crew are willing to risk ten foot seas in boiling water, with no possibility of help, then perhaps we didn't see you. And when you shipwreck, half your crew scalded to death and the rest boiled into the sea, you'll find lands with little edible food, little water, no shelter, and no aid will come. What then? will your careful study come in time to salvage the crew, or even yourself?

Do as you will, but we will not help. I wish you luck, but hold no hope."

He and his crew turn to leave.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, Sirri, what do you think? Are you still willing to risk these waters? If not, I'll understand. There is no need for you to risk the lives of yourself and your crew if you think it is as hopeless as Captain Starbeam makes it out to be. I still wish to go, even if I have to burn most of my magic flying there."

26. - Top - End - #26

DrowGuy

As the elves begin to row back, She walks to the railings a few steps, then turns to face you. She's grinning ear to ear. "Are you kidding? we pull this one off, we'll be famous! All we need is a way to protect our sailors from the heat of the ocean, we can handle the wind and current. While the boiling is news, we were ready for some strong weather from day one!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Leave the winds to me. I will bend them to our cause."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to cast Detect Magic and try to scan our environment, looking particularly at the sky and waters.

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGuy

"Bend the winds, eh? This might be easier than we though. Full speed ahead, mates! Lift anchor and head due west!" As a flurry of movement begins to make her words action, she turns to you. "Listen, this is going to be pretty harrowing, magic or not. If you can keep the winds from bowling us over, I can keep the crew from panicking, but do we have any defense against burns? some of this water will splash up high.

Keep the winds favorable, and pointed towards land. We can speed through the dangerous areas."

As the sails tighten, the ship lurches to the west, fighting the current. The captain orders extra hydration for all in preparation for the coming trials, and Crazy is perfectly happy to oblige.

After some time, you note the currents seem to have reversed. rather than pushing the ship out, you seem to be being pulled in. over the course of the next hour, the Ship whips along, each wave sending cool, salty sprays along nearly the whole deck. Sirri, coming up from a brief rest herself, orders an early shift change, changing the restless but worked sailors to the fresh, rested night crew. As the day wears on into evening, a restless quiet fills the ship. As night begins to fall, storm clouds can be seen on the horizon and the air feels much more muggy than a mid-fall evening should be. Nobody says it out loud, but everyone aboard is thinking the same thing. It's gonna be a wild night.

As dusk slips to darkness, the sails slacken, but the ship doesn't slow down. "We've entered a strong current. This isn't normal." Less than a minute later, it happens.

CRUNCH!!!

The entire crew is thrown off their feet, or out of their racks ans the ship runs into something below the waterline. "What the hells did we hit?" Cries Sirri. The lookout, who is hanging back onto the mainmast for dear life, peeks over the edge of the nest. "Looks like a reef! The current brought us into a..." His voice peters out for a moment. Then he screams. "UMBERLEE HELP US, ITS MOVING! THE REEF IS MOVING!"

The Riptide shudders as coral scrapes along its hull, and what looks like a gargantuan, 6 legged, moving coral reef rises out of the water. A torrent of warm water rushes off the thing, raining huge warm drops of water onto the crew.

"Man the ballista! You two, see if you can find a weak spot, then hit it there!"

The upper deck of the ship is pressed against the creature's "front" two legs. it has no discernible mouth or eyes, and appears to be made entirely out of coral. It rises barely ten feet above the ship, but it's legs are long enough to reach the bottom, some 60 feet down, or so previous checks suggest. the bottom is far beyond sight right now.

Roll into initiative.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Initiative roll : 19