New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: "Under the Red Sky" IC Pathfinder E6

Tysalat

Tysalat casts a spell on himself and then speaks in a calming manner. We have been paid to guard the caravan not to go to war with these kobolds. Hopefully they will have learned their lesson.

Spoiler
    Show

Casts enhanced diplomacy +2 diplomacy
    Diplomacy (1d20+8)[20] Not sure if you want me to do this with PCs. DM vary on that.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Blood. There was blood on his sword. There was blood on him! Stupefied, Maechus drew his sword from the monster's neck, wiping the blade clean on a cloth he pulled from his pocket.

"Vaul is...?" Maechus began, but looking into the cart answered his own question. "I do not... it all just..."

For a second or two, he seemed to be only able to start sentences. Then, all of a sudden, a thought occurred to him, giving him back his speech. "The cat!" He ran to look under the cart. "Tabbles? Tell me they not take you as well. Tabble Cat...?"
    Totally awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Tybalt? They're dead now, so you can come out. Caelain surveys the scene, noticing for the first time how many casualties there were. The caravan is in no position to be left alone. Very well, we won't pursue. Our erstwhile employer looks to be in no condition to pay us, so we may as well attempt to recoup the losses ourselves; we should see if those bandits have anything of value. Of course, if this is what they have been forced to resort to, it is doubtful that they will have any money. I will need two bodies--one from each species--to serve as specimens.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-15 at 06:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

Tysalat

Tysalat throws Caelain an odd look.

Specimens?
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

5. - Top - End - #65

HalflingRogueGuy

Caelain turns to Tysalat and replies in a querying tone: Sample, test subject? I will need their cadavers for study.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-15 at 07:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Tysalat

And what are you testing for?

7. - Top - End - #67

Tysalat

Tysalat get everyone injured together and channels positive energy to heal.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[2]

8. - Top - End - #68

HalflingRogueGuy

Ah, thank you. Anyway, back to our discourse. Let me clarify: it's amazing how many creatures have organs or other body structures which are of great use. Magical creatures in particular can often have spell components harvested from them, and many beasts have tough hides usable when crafting armor. Perhaps I will find something of use in a mutagen, or otherwise something which might be emulated by one. Any profit from these creatures' dissection would be split amongst the party, after I had been recompensed for my services of course. Furthermore, I seek to determine their capabilities, how they are structured, and, hopefully, how to eliminate them with greater celerity should we encounter them again. Now, I may need help finding a cadaver without severe burns, but I suppose that such was unavoidable. If you would like, I can give you a copy of my findings when I publish them. But before that can happen, I will need more field research, hence this strolling through the woods.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-15 at 07:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Tysalat

Tysalat listens to Caelain intently and nods almost imperceptibly.

How long will it take?

10. - Top - End - #70

HalflingRogueGuy

I will need good lighting, an hour, and a sharp knife. The latter I have, the former two I would like to request. These are... somewhat crude conditions, but I should be able to get something out of it. If only I was in my dissection room. But that is of no consequence. Can I get some light over here?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

They didn't seem to be doing anything too special to me, there may not be much to learn.
    Kona surveyed the carnage and shivered. Neither the sight nor smell of burning flesh were distressing to her, in truth there was a small part of her that found both enjoyable, it was this last factor which had her truly worried.
    It would be better if you could carry them with you, the longer we stay the higher the chance of another ambush. We should probably try to bring the carts with us anyway, someone in New Orcus will be needing the food.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rupert gave Caelain an odd look as he discussed dissecting the corpses. "Well, I suppose we all have our ways of seeking the truth." He drew one of the glowing pebbles from his pocket and tossed it to the alchemist.

Then he set about rummaging in his pack until he found a length of rope. He looped it over his shoulder, and then strode over to the still slumbering rat and kobold pair.

He knelt by the rat and murmured "Go gently into the arms of our good lady, and feel all your sufferings dissolved in her mercy and her kindness." Then, knocking an arrow to his bow, he fired it into the creature's neck, at the base of its skull.

"Maechus, if I may ask for your help for a moment, I'm afraid that I've never been overly good with knots, and I would prefer this scaly fellow be securely bound before he wakes up." He extended the rope towards his comrade as he spoke.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the cat was all right. One crisis averted, he supposed. Of course, there was still the fact that the bulk of the caravan was wiped out, his employer was dead, and Maechus was still trying to process the fact that he had just stabbed and killed something. Without even the slightest idea of what he should be doing, the best he could do was stare into the middle distance, trying to gather together enough composure to figure out just how everything went wrong so quickly.

Fortunately, the call of someone in the group (Rupert, Maechus remembered his name being) brought him back to his senses. "Um... of course. I'll be right over." Taking the rope with a hint of gratitude, he set to work binding the monster's hands together behind its back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dexterity Check (I assume?) to use the rope: (1d20+2)[16]

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabasBailey View Post
    Well, the cat was all right. One crisis averted, he supposed. Of course, there was still the fact that the bulk of the caravan was wiped out, his employer was dead, and Maechus was still trying to process the fact that he had just stabbed and killed something. Without even the slightest idea of what he should be doing, the best he could do was stare into the middle distance, trying to gather together enough composure to figure out just how everything went wrong so quickly.

Fortunately, the call of someone in the group (Rupert, Maechus remembered his name being) brought him back to his senses. "Um... of course. I'll be right over." Taking the rope with a hint of gratitude, he set to work binding the monster's hands together behind its back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dexterity Check (I assume?) to use the rope: [roll0]
    The creature is bond.
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

Under the Red Sky Pathfinder e6

My homebrew:

Stormageddon's Pathfinder/E6... P6 Compendium

(PF) Mistborn, Allomancer

15. - Top - End - #75

Tysalat

Tysalat looks up at the sun. We should keep moving for now as Kona said, while we have daylight. You can cut things up once we break camp tonight.

He raises his voice. Lets get everything together and get ready to head out as soon as possible.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Once the Kobold is securely bound, Rupert lifted him and slung him over the back of his donkey. "Easy, Hotay," he told the still nervous animal. "We've had a bit of a scare, but all's well now."

Turning to the rest of the party, "I agree. I've a warm bed and an intriguing meeting waiting for me in New Orcus, and I'd rather not spend any more time in this forest than I must. I say we push on 'til nightfall, and when we make camp, we can see whether this one feels talkative."

17. - Top - End - #77

HalflingRogueGuy

Caelain looked speculatively towards the bound kobold before turning to his companions. Do we have any post-interrogation plans for the prisoner? I would rather not carry more than I have to, and a spare hardly seems necessary. We would still need the rat cadaver, of course; I will check to see if there is room in the carts, otherwise we may need to leave the rat, unfortunate as that may be.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-16 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Tysalat

I wondered the same as well, but I did not want to delay our getting going again. I didn't think the extra weight would mean much with two wagons.

I would suggest we get moving and deal with this tonight.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rupert shrugged. "He is my prisoner, and I will take responsibility for transporting him. If you want a corpse to experiment on, take one of these." He nodded at the corpses scattered about. "This fellow's treatment will depend entirely on his behavior."

20. - Top - End - #80

Tysalat

Tysalat flashes Rupert a concerned glance. What do you intend to do with it?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rupert thought a moment. "Talk to him, if I can. Find out why he and his fellows attacked us, whether there are more of them about, anything else I can get him to tell me."

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingRogueGuy

While we are on the topic of corpses, what are we going to do with the fallen guards and Vaul?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Tysalat

We will take them with us and bury them tonight at the camp. Did we find Vaul's cat?

24. - Top - End - #84

HalflingRogueGuy

Tybalt travels with me, if he is the one of whom you are speaking. It is somewhat worrisome that he has not yet returned from hiding. With a concerned look, Caelain whistles a few notes, Tybalt?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by White_Drake View Post
    Tybalt travels with me, if he is the one of whom you are speaking. It is somewhat worrisome that he has not yet returned from hiding. With a concerned look, Caelain whistles a few notes, Tybalt?
    Tybalt comes out from under the cart and starts rubbing against your leg purring.
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

My homebrew:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

The mechanical action of having something to do brought him back to his senses. Maechus climbed up to the cart, looking Vaul over with barely contained dread. "Whatever else we do, I agree with Miss Briggs. As long as we can drive these carts down to New Orcus, we have not completely failed our job. I'm certain someone there would be better equipped to lay the dead to rest as well."

With that, Maechus began gingerly searching his former employer for any sort of clue where the supplies were headed. "Anyone here familiar with horses? The sooner we can get down the road, the quicker we can get somewhere safe."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check to search Vaul's body: (1d20+1)[16]

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabasBailey View Post
    The mechanical action of having something to do brought him back to his senses. Maechus climbed up to the cart, looking Vaul over with barely contained dread. "Whatever else we do, I agree with Miss Briggs. As long as we can drive these carts down to New Orcus, we have not completely failed our job. I'm certain someone there would be better equipped to lay the dead to rest as well."

With that, Maechus began gingerly searching his former employer for any sort of clue where the supplies were headed. "Anyone here familiar with horses? The sooner we can get down the road, the quicker we can get somewhere safe."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check to search Vaul's body: [roll0]
    The well dressed Halfling, seems to be lacking a money purse or any directions as to where the supplies are going. You do find a nice looking dagger on his person.

My homebrew:

28. - Top - End - #88

HalflingRogueGuy

As he talks to his companions, Caelain bends over and holds his arm at an angle to the ground, while Tybalt runs up the ersatz ramp before settling back on Caelain's shoulder. If we have no more business here then I suggest we make haste. I would greatly prefer to spend my nights in a warm bed rather than upon the ground.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-17 at 02:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Goblin

Kona does what she can to calm the horses and then climbs aboard the second cart, taking the reins.
    Get everything loaded up and we'll get going.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on a handle animal check to handle the horses gives 14.

30. - Top - End - #90

HalflingRogueGuy

Caelain gestures towards the bodies, May I accost one of you gentlemen for some help in moving these? Just give me a moment to determine which are the least damaged.
    Last edited by White_Drake; 2013-04-17 at 06:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show