New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sid Meyer's Civilization

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Pentagons are added to the map as mountains, or natural wonders, or some other kind of impassable terrain.

Seems like it would work to me.
    Except now mountains or impassible terrain is regularly spaced.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Whoops, didn't notice those pentagons in the buckyball...I can only offer the poor excuse that I'm an idiot and thus should not be held accountable for the nonsense that comes from my keyboard.

Would it work with triangles, though? They'd probably have to have slightly curved sides...

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Whoops, didn't notice those pentagons in the buckyball...I can only offer the poor excuse that I'm an idiot and thus should not be held accountable for the nonsense that comes from my keyboard.

Would it work with triangles, though? They'd probably have to have slightly curved sides...
    So researching all of this took me some neat places full of cool pictures.

Really I'm thinking the more tiles you have the less distortion you need to make it a sphere without using any other shapes. I mean the buckyball has a very small number of tiles, so the deviations from hexagonal tiles are so drastic that they aren't hexagons In a standard sized Civ 5 map there are over 4000 (80x52). Basically I'm saying I think you were right even if you didn't realize it, small distortions should work with enough tiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

4. - Top - End - #1144

BlackDragon

Just had something happen I've never seen before in Civ 5. Situation: my territory covers the northern and eastern borders of the Celts. On the western border are two city-states (Ormus and Quebec City) that are my allies, on the south is tundra. I declare war and start taking Boudicca's capital, but she seems to spend most of her effort attacking the two city-states on the other side--just before her capital falls, she takes Ormus. Just after her capital falls, she sues for peace.

Now, this is where it gets odd. After the peace, Ormus is no longer in Celt hands--it's now a puppet of Quebec City! I don't recall seeing Quebec attacking the other city, so I have to assume that Boudicca gave it to them when she made peace with me. I've never seen a situation where one city-state becomes the puppet of another, much less under those circumstances--anyone else seen this?

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just had something happen I've never seen before in Civ 5. Situation: my territory covers the northern and eastern borders of the Celts. On the western border are two city-states (Ormus and Quebec City) that are my allies, on the south is tundra. I declare war and start taking Boudicca's capital, but she seems to spend most of her effort attacking the two city-states on the other side--just before her capital falls, she takes Ormus. Just after her capital falls, she sues for peace.

Now, this is where it gets odd. After the peace, Ormus is no longer in Celt hands--it's now a puppet of Quebec City! I don't recall seeing Quebec attacking the other city, so I have to assume that Boudicca gave it to them when she made peace with me. I've never seen a situation where one city-state becomes the puppet of another, much less under those circumstances--anyone else seen this?
    I don't think AI Civ to AI city-state can trade cities, but I have seen one of my Canadian (on an Earth map) city-state allies conquer another city-state in Alaska. Unfortunately, they razed their second city not long after. I suspect the city-states are programmed to only have their primary city, but I guess it may just have been because it was an exceedingly crappy location.

6. - Top - End - #1146

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I suspect the city-states are programmed to only have their primary city
    Doesn't look that way in this case--Quebec has held on to Ormus for several turns since it took it over. I personally suspect that city-states run pretty much the same AI as the normal civs do with pieces taken out--e.g. they won't ever build a settler, their tech level appears to be dependent on whoever's got the highest tech level in the game (just like barbarians), etc.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Doesn't look that way in this case--Quebec has held on to Ormus for several turns since it took it over. I personally suspect that city-states run pretty much the same AI as the normal civs do with pieces taken out--e.g. they won't ever build a settler, their tech level appears to be dependent on whoever's got the highest tech level in the game (just like barbarians), etc.
    Well it does take several turns to raze a city... But since I only have the one experience with it, I certainly may be wrong. I'm just pretty certain nobody else but the city-state razed their conquest, no matter the reason.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

City states will always raze cities they capture, but capitals and city states can't be razed, so they will keep them.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard that CS don't raze cities with WWs in them. Although I've not confirmed it.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    City states will always raze cities they capture, but capitals and city states can't be razed, so they will keep them.
    I guess I may be misremembering and that it was actually a city from a major civ.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

Back in my groove. After a school year of not playing Civ (integrated graphics on my laptop are too weak for even minimal settings), I've started up again since I'm home for the summer and back at a desktop.

Ethiopia, Continents, Standard, BNW, Prince, around turn 200

I only have 4 cities. I haven't even managed to capture any. And yet, I'm leading technologically, am well on the way to founding the World Congress, have a major world religion (continent-wide), have absurd amounts of culture compared to everyone, am popular with 2/6 other civs (and one is close to influential), have the highest score, have copious amounts of wonders...
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

I only have 4 cities. I haven't even managed to capture any. And yet, I'm leading technologically, am well on the way to founding the World Congress, have a major world religion (continent-wide), have absurd amounts of culture compared to everyone, am popular with 2/6 other civs (and one is close to influential), have the highest score, have copious amounts of wonders...
    I don't get the 'and yet' bit. 4 cities seems moderate to high, with the science and culture penalty and all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

13. - Top - End - #1153

BlackDragon

I don't get the 'and yet' bit. 4 cities seems moderate to high, with the science and culture penalty and all.
    Doesn't seem that high to me...I'd generally have at least 3 cities even if I was playing as India, who get a severe happiness penalty for having too many of the things! Yes, there are science penalties (don't think there are culture ones in BNW), but they're pretty minor compared to the amount of extra science, money and resources you get from those extra cities. In the last game I actually won I think I controlled around 1/4 of the world and had around a dozen cities!

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

*Sigh*

Trying to conquer a Huge Earth-style map is hard! While my military is out of control, I had to stop my conquest 3 times with all the unhappiness that is getting accumulated. I even have resorted to razing random cities just to get the happiness down. I have conquered 5 capitals, and I still have carthage, Sweden, china, and rome to go! This is taking freaking Forever!

*Goes off to corner to cry and fall asleep*
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    *Sigh*

Trying to conquer a Huge Earth-style map is hard! While my military is out of control, I had to stop my conquest 3 times with all the unhappiness that is getting accumulated. I even have resorted to razing random cities just to get the happiness down. I have conquered 5 capitals, and I still have carthage, Sweden, china, and rome to go! This is taking freaking Forever!

*Goes off to corner to cry and fall asleep*
    I hope you choose Autocracy for your ideology :)

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Couple questions regarding Giant Multiplayer Robot:

Anyone know if renaming your cities cause any problems with the save file?
    How about other save files in hot seat game folder, do they disrupt GMR somehow? I'm playing a local game with spouse, and the saves go in to the same directory as GMR's.

I suspect there shouldn't be any problems with either of these, but just making sure.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-05-28 at 08:02 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Couple questions regarding Giant Multiplayer Robot:

Anyone know if renaming your cities cause any problems with the save file?
    How about other save files in hot seat game folder, do they disrupt GMR somehow? I'm playing a local game with spouse, and the saves go in to the same directory as GMR's.

I suspect there shouldn't be any problems with either of these, but just making sure.
    Someone in the second game is renaming their cities and it hasn't caused a problem. I'd assume not for the second one, but I couldn't say for sure.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    As long as you aren't over-writing the GMR file with your other game and are uploading the right file to GMR it should be fine.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't seem that high to me...I'd generally have at least 3 cities even if I was playing as India, who get a severe happiness penalty for having too many of the things! Yes, there are science penalties (don't think there are culture ones in BNW), but they're pretty minor compared to the amount of extra science, money and resources you get from those extra cities. In the last game I actually won I think I controlled around 1/4 of the world and had around a dozen cities!
    For comparison, I played a game on the same map settings in G&K once. I had a massive, continent-wide empire. But everything except my 4 core cities was puppet states. So sure, I'll wind up with massive empires, but I can only control a small handful. (I won culturally that game, by the way)
    Last edited by Razanir; 2014-05-28 at 08:34 AM.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've won an Emperor game with 2 cities BNW France once (culture win). 4 cities in generally the right size but lots of cities isn't too bad.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-05-28 at 09:50 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I hope you choose Autocracy for your ideology :)
    I'm really wishing I had, but I choose order for an order conquest run.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I've won an Emperor game with 2 cities BNW France once (culture win). 4 cities in generally the right size but lots of cities isn't too bad.
    Yeah, I added a 5th to easily get a strategic trade route. I'm going cultural, so...

23. - Top - End - #1163

Yeah, I added a 5th to easily get a strategic trade route. I'm going cultural, so...
    In BNW, culture works wide or tall.

I've got like 9 cities in one of the multiplayer games have the best chance at a culture win.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    In BNW, culture works wide or tall.

I've got like 9 cities in one of the multiplayer games have the best chance at a culture win.
    I'm actually really glad I've been playing tall. My religion was one of the only 2 for a while and has spread prolifically. So even though I lost my spot as host of the World Congress, I doubt Greece will be able to change the world religion.

And actually, I've almost won. Now I just need to get my culture into Greece... (I'm actually thinking of the world's dumbest war. Move my Great Musician to their border, declare war, have him waltz in, then go on a tour)

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just make Greece culture extinct. After all, 1 culture is greater a million culture generated by a now extinct nation.

26. - Top - End - #1166

Religion usually favours wide, since there's no increasing costs per city like with culture so you can just keep getting more shrines and temples.

Depends if you have a faith pantheon or not mainly.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually really glad I've been playing tall. My religion was one of the only 2 for a while and has spread prolifically. So even though I lost my spot as host of the World Congress, I doubt Greece will be able to change the world religion.

And actually, I've almost won. Now I just need to get my culture into Greece... (I'm actually thinking of the world's dumbest war. Move my Great Musician to their border, declare war, have him waltz in, then go on a tour)
    That's what I did in my last culture victory.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Or just make Greece culture extinct. After all, 1 culture is greater a million culture generated by a now extinct nation.
    Actually, in an odd turn of events, they decided to offer open borders. So I just sent 2 musicians in on tour and won.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Ethiopia, Prince, Standard Continents, Normal Speed. Known countries are England, Germany, and Rome. I'm allied with Rome. Germany just has Berlin left (rest is under Roman rule). England just has Nottingham (I have their capital). Mid-late Medieval. Transoceanic contact has not been made.

I just successfully used a pure evil strategy. I got Rome to pay me to go to war with England, which I was already going to do. Despite the game telling me I'd receive an extreme warmonger penalty if I captured Nottingham, I don't think it affected my diplomatic relations with Rome at all. And thus, I've eliminated Buddhism from the planet (over 30 influence in the holy city), and have made my religion the only one on the continent. Next step: World religion!
    Last edited by Razanir; 2014-05-29 at 01:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Ethiopia, Prince, Standard Continents, Normal Speed. Known countries are England, Germany, and Rome. I'm allied with Rome. Germany just has Berlin left (rest is under Roman rule). England just has Nottingham (I have their capital). Mid-late Medieval. Transoceanic contact has not been made.

I just successfully used a pure evil strategy. I got Rome to pay me to go to war with England, which I was already going to do. Despite the game telling me I'd receive an extreme warmonger penalty if I captured Nottingham, I don't think it affected my diplomatic relations with Rome at all. And thus, I've eliminated Buddhism from the planet (over 30 influence in the holy city), and have made my religion the only one on the continent. Next step: World religion!
    You'll still get the penalty. The AI may not always show an opinion malus when you are allied, but it will still exist.
    Now if you wipe out everyone on your continent before your continent meets the other side, your genocidal crimes will be unknown.