New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin The Boy with the Rusty Sword

Hello Everyone! I'm Christian, the writer for The Boy with the Rusty Sword. ( www.rusty-sword.com )

What's it about?
    Eliko is a boy from a tribe who's sister,Kalani , was taken away while a strange plague changed everyone in his village into metal monsters. Eliko himself was changed also: half of his body is made of living metal and his arm is overgrown. Now Eliko journeys outside of his homeland in search of Kalani and answers to what happened in his village.

Whats Up with the comic so far?

Well right now the comic is about random adventures that Eliko has in his search. We haven't gone into the main story because we need time to plan and flesh out parts. ( http://www.rusty-sword.com/wp/blog/the-namazoo )

Where does the story take place?
    The world of Arconia can be as beautiful as it can be twisted and strange. Monsters, plagues and war have ended civilizations in the past and currently its not easy to stay alive if you don't know what your doing.

Kickstarters

Click Here to go to our kickstarter

 We have the basic underlying skeleton mapped out for the story and the designs and style of the comic which we have been mastering the past year. The lead artist Edwin Gautreau will be directing an art team which we've been scouting for, in the D.R. for the past months. The art team will be hired to help us ink, shade, and color digitally while we work on final drawings and panels that need to be continuously revised before we get pages we're happy with. 

Thanks for checking this out!
    -Christian R.
    Last edited by rusty-sword; 2013-11-26 at 04:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Boy with the Rusty Sword

Hullo, hope all's well there, chief Christian and company?

Just a quick bit for now... Haven't gotten done with reading the entire run yet--- just got to the end of the Namazoo arc--- but from what I can tell, it's pretty damned good.

Some questions, if you don't mind... The world of Arconia, as you said, is still under construction. Are there any cultures or series from which you are fond of drawing inspiration? Have you read Robert E. Howard, by any chance? Oh! Beowulf, as well, yes? A good part of the style is drawn from manga/anime--- any that you would name as a particular influence? Are there any martial artists or anybody with fighting experience among your creative team who might be contributing to the depiction of fight scenes? Regarding Eliko--- How much of his internal organs are still flesh and blood?

Oh. And you might want to think about adding an "Archive" option?

That's all for now, I reckon. Keep up the good work, looking forward to reading more from you fine folk.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Boy with the Rusty Sword

Thanks for your post!

There are many cultures and races in the comic that are based on historical parts of early civilization and then taken to full maturity inside the Arconian world for example the Gorfs a long time ago under the seas where many tribes. Later many tribes became two large tribes that joined forces and fought and enslaved the others. This was inspired by the ancient Chinese legends of the Yellow and Fire Emperors. But history, battle strategies and life are very different if you take into account living under water and a world full of monsters. I have taken from the Greeks, Jews, Romans, Chines, Aztecs, India, ummm well lots of places, little parts of history to see how things happened, cause you know history repeats itself.

Robert E. Howard... not ringing a bell, after looking him up I see he wrote Conan. I read a lot of Joseph Cambell and love stories about adventure, so far my favorite has been Treasure Island

The Namazoo Arc itself is very Anime-ish and we weren't too happy about that (after it was pointed out to us xD) because we are trying to make our own style. It kinda slipped into anime by mistake but this happens when you test styles and go back and forth. In later arcs we get back to the style we wanted though a tad too colorful. I'd say we want to go for more of a Edward Gorey style with a mix of fluidity that you see in Manga.

Elikos lung on one side is probably fully affected but over all he's mostly flesh and blood inside. The plague actually makes people stronger the big problem is what it does to your mind and emotions.

Yeah... that's one thing I need to sit down and make. I had an archive hard coded and I might just make that again.