New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: More Squirrel Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    (Plus, being silly with art is always good. )
    Being silly is not something Squirrel struggles with, really.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Domochevsky! <^_^> And lol, yeah, Mantid's right on that count <'x'>/
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

The way you decked out your robot reminds me of my Shadowrun hacker's drone modifications.

Among other things, he drone-ified a bunch of "Transmorphing Space Ninjas!" (essentially Power Rangers action figures) and outfitted them with ruthenium-polymer stealth suits; they essentially had the same sort of cloaking the Predator had.

Useful little buggers.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, that's wonderful Alucard <,< I <3 Shadowrun so much.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Something fun: remember the early picture I asked if you could make, the paladin-succubus lady? I finally get to use her in a game, though she's ending up a bard instead. So I finally get to use the picture!
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! <^.^> May good fortune follow your travels!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

An update on the Final Fantasy XI picture (This is very WIP):

Spoiler
    Show

[/url]

DA Link 1

DA Link 2

As you can see, the idea of making this a full painting just didn't pan out. I'm not giving up on trying to learn to paint, and I'm definitely going to continue experimenting, but it's just taking some time to figure things out.

So for now, I've gone with my traditional inked look.

I posted separate headshots so you could see the area that's recieved the most attention since last time, because looking at the full WIP doesn't really show the progress all that well I don't feel.

Chugging along.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

If I may be so bold as to provide some macro insight... it might be a good idea to take a step back from that head and look at it, instead of fiddling with the details.

Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally I agree with your advice Domochevsky, but in this particular case I only really agree with one element of it - the neck length*. <. .>

The stuff that your overlay hits here are mostly stylistic choices on this one hehe >.< I know that sounds like a brush off, but it really isn't, for once I'm actually getting a significant amount of my imagination to the paper. Your advice is always welcome! I just want to make sure you know why I'm doing things the way I'm doing them, so it doesn't seem like I'm just ignoring you or something.

Explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Spoiler
    Show

Basically, the face is the way it is largely due to my attempting to avert only six faces. What I've got isn't perfect, but it's actually pretty close.

Head size is similar - this version of the character is 23 rather than 13 like the previous incarnation. Usually for an adult you'd have them be 7-8 head heights tall; in this case it's only 6, but that's because (despite her age) she still looks and often acts more like a teenager than an adult. Well that and she's extremely short - canonically 4' 11" tall. Yes, high shelves are her bane. >.>;

And of course the eye, mouth and nose positions are based on the smaller head proportion (which isn't to say I nailed them perfectly, but I'm mostly happy with it - only the right eye (our left) bothers me.)

The neck's thickness, rather than length is a function of keeping the body looking a bit more teenage looking.

The length though... yeah that's a problem, and will be fixed!

*Eventually I will stop giving people giraffe necks... I think I've figured out the problem too. I have a weird problem with drawing through objects, that is - if I have a head, I don't want it to overlap with the body at all... even if the chin at least would do so from the angle of the picture. It's an unconscious problem, but one I think I can fix. - Also it helps that I've learned how to cut and paste well enough to shorten out of control necks >.<; Requires a lot of work, but a lot less than redrawing the entire head.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

I do believe I have fixed the neck length problem!

Spoiler
    Show

It wasn't too difficult really, I just had to cut and paste the head lower, then fix the shading on the neck.

Really hoping I can avoid this problem in the future though, sure I can fix it, but fixing it after the fact is a pain in the... tail. >_>; (I'll show myself out.)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

I have been busy-busy-busy lately! <@.@>/ Got one piece finished that I'll be posting soon-ish*, and just finished up a second piece that I CAN show you now!

Wildstar fanart of Malvolio -

Spoiler
    Show

Specifically a propaganda poster for a contest on the Wildstar forums. I'm not going to win of course, but I really enjoyed putting this together just the same. The design, incidentally, is based off an old WWII propaganda poster:

Spoiler
    Show

I did of course modify a lot of things; but the theme is identical.

*edit* - I forgot the mandatory DA link! - Here, have link!

*Not yet though; it's for Draw Your Friends and I must keep it under wraps until at least Friday <o.o>
    Last edited by mistformsquirrl; 2014-06-24 at 05:36 PM.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Testing a pic that (if the transparency works) I'll be using as an avatar for a theme-week >.>;

Spoiler
    Show

*Edit* No dice. Hrm. I will update this post when I get this thing working properly. >.> (It's just a goofy little avatar, nothing spectacular, but I'm happy with it for what it is.)
    Last edited by mistformsquirrl; 2014-06-25 at 05:48 PM.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Note: You can save a layer from openCanvas in order to preserve transparency.
    (It has a few downsides, but that is easily fixed if you then load that layer into another program, like gimp or paint.net and resave the image.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Domochevsky <^_^> I will try that later! I think I still have GIMP on my machine somewhere >.< May have to go all file archaeologist to find it, but I'm sure it's there...

Really want to get this avatar finished up, but I can't go further with it until I can see how it looks as-is >.<; Much work, very sweat, busy squirrel.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickie piece I did for an avatar on the Wildstar forums:

Spoiler
    Show

DA Link

I couldn't keep the eyes level no matter what I did >< I'll probably do a new avatar at some point because I'm not wholly satisfied with this one, but I couldn't work on it any longer without going mad so >.< it is what it is.

One thing I did like though: I learned to use the Pencil tool for inking, and (in some situations) I can see that being my preferred method going forward. So that's progress at least!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

If it helps: You can get out unevenness in anatomy by flipping the image horizontally frequently.
    (In oC the Navigator window has a button that flips the image visually without editing it.)

Also yeah, a thick pencil is just as good for coloring as a brush. It's what I prefer to use (together with disabled density control) for flat colors.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I should have done that >.<; Everything was coming together so well... right up until the eyes, and when they didn't do what I wanted them to do I let myself get frustrated rather than taking my time <x.x> Hopefully whatever I come up with for a replacement down the line will be much improved.

I am happy with the prosthetic hand though at least < ._.>/

Need to get to work on my Fey Week avatar too... decided to drop the Will-o-Wisp idea and go for an Atomie instead >.>/
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

New avatar for Fey Week - I ditched the Will-o-Wisp idea and instead went with an Atomie:

And the mandatory DA link here.

Pretty darn happy with this. Did it in about 2 hours, and I've never done pixel art before, so all told it went well I think. < . .> Was fun too!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that this round of Draw Your Friends has concluded I can finally put up the work I did for Mantid <^,^>!

Better version:

Spoiler
    Show

Original cluttered version:

Spoiler
    Show

DA Link: Go Here

I'm mostly very, very happy with this piece. There are some notable flaws of course, and her hair didn't get the treatment I wanted to give it, I just couldn't make it work for anything... but overall I'm quite pleased. I really enjoyed working on her shoes and tights in particular; it was fun to work with costume parts I don't usually use much.

So yeah, that's what I worked on for quite awhile recently, which is why the FFXI Yumi pic has been on hold. I'll be picking it back up eventually though!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Just posting a WIP of my current project, a picture of my Stalker alt in Wildstar:

Nivena the White Rabbit, an insane albino Aurin assassin working for the Black Hoods. < . .> Her brain is kinda screwed up along the lines of the Pyro from TF2.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Awesome drawing and awesome concept.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

22. - Top - End - #142

Haven't heard from you in a while, squirrely one! What creations have you wrought?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Not much I'm afraid <_ _> I've been having a lot of nasty migraines and it's slowed my production to a crawl. I worked on a piece I cannot reveal yet for the latest round of DYF, but that's about it.

If I can get the headaches to let up I'll be more productive though.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show