New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Swords For Venoria

You're not sure of the time of day; the sky's been overcast for a long time now, and you haven't had any way of measuring the hour. Judging by your rumbling belly though, it's time to eat.

The ground is completely earthen; where the entrance lies, the grass from the moor begins to die away.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a 1d6 roll to open the door. Anyone attempting to pry it open, please make the roll.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[1]
    Eulalios looks again more carefully at the door, trying to figure out which way it opens. As a fighter he's pretty sure a door leading into a castle would open inwards (away from the fire) so that it could be barred or braced for defense. That would mean they should be able to bash it in.

3. - Top - End - #33

Eulalios, being a fighting man of strength, is able to wrest the enormous slab from its place and toss it aside with a heavy thud, clearing the path into the darkness.

The hall is smoothed and bears faded script, much like the walls of the entrance chamber. After about five feet, the light of your campfire fades, and the tunnel is shrouded in darkness.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go figure; on the first try, someone passes the check
    Last edited by Imaro; 2013-06-08 at 10:07 AM. Reason: ooc

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Great work, Eulalios!" Niobe was impressed, that slab looked very heavy, yet Eulalios managed to move it in a few tries. She was thankful he was on her side.

"I can't see anything...", she walks back to the campfire and attempts to make a torch of some kind. Either using the burning material in the campfire, the pieces of scrolls and parchment lying around or, and a stick of some kind.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thianne grunts, satisfied. She readies her sword - and a dart - and
    looks down the entrance, adjusting her eyes to see in the dark. She makes a gesture that suggests that she wants the other adventurers to wait.

"Let's see what my eyes can see, that yours can't..."
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2013-06-08 at 11:14 PM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Niobe steps back to let Thianne see with her elvish eyes what she herself can not. Niobe was in awe and envied her. She was beautiful. To be even half of an elf, was far more than Niobe could ever hope to become.

7. - Top - End - #37

Eulalios gathers the sword and ersatz flail that he had set while opening the door. "Forward," he says, "I'm hungry. " His eyes, ears, and nose are tuned for rat, secondarily wary for danger.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-06-09 at 06:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler
    Show
    Haaah, the funny thing is, I always meant for Thianne to be sort of "dorky cute". An endearingly awkward duck, among the graceful swans that are elves. She was just drawn pretty the first time, and it sort of stuck!

Thianne proceeds down the tunnel, being very, very cautious to note any sudden and unfamiliar movements or sounds.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

9. - Top - End - #39

As Thianne peers down the tunnel, her elf-eyes see only the long, smooth-hewn path, decorated with the same faded script as the outer room. The tunnel appears to go on another ten paces, or 20 feet, with just enough room for two to walk abreast.

Thianne
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the end of the tunnel, however, is the faint glow of light.

So who's headed down the tunnel, if at all, and in what order?
    Last edited by Imaro; 2013-06-09 at 06:41 PM. Reason: things

10. - Top - End - #40

Eulalios gathers up his sword and makeshift flail, and leads to the end of the passage, moving as quietly as possible with the dangling chain gripped in his left hand.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Her excitement gets the better of Niobe. "By the Gods, this is awesome. I'm on a real dungeon crawling adventure with a cat-warrior and elvish maid.", she mumbles to herself.

When she observes Eulalios slowly and silently sneaking through the dark, she just can't contain her energy and enthusiasm any longer. She yells out: "Adventure!!" and passes Eulalios and the other quickly and charges right into the light, waving her axe and shouting intensely.

12. - Top - End - #42

Thianne pauses. "Maid..." She processes the term in her head for a brief moment.

She then goes charging off after Niobe, as much to keep up pace as to aid her if anything should come her way. "I'm not a maid, anymore! And I'm only half an elf!"

13. - Top - End - #43

Really?! Eulalios momentarily appreciates Niobe's athleticism as she shoulders past him, but that's overwhelmed by a strong sense of annoyance at her kittenish yelp - like a young one trying to hunt, but scaring off the creatures that she wants to catch. He's certain he can hear plump rats scurrying and squeaking away. In any case, he continues forward at a steady pace, definitely not running, starting his chain spinning if there's space enough for that. Let the mad maid draw trouble, and I'll pull her out if I can.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope our Dungeon Master returns, but in the case he doesn't,I just wanted to have a chance to say thanks for the game, I had a lot of fun, even though it was short!

15. - Top - End - #45

Spoiler
    Show
    Hrm...well, if there isn't an update in a little while, I can start a game up.

I have~
    Swords & Wizardry Core
    Swords & Wizardry Whitebox
    Swords & Wizardry Complete
    Tome of Horrors
    An abundance of modules and tools
    And some Google Drive stuff with House Rules because I think clubs weighing 10 pounds and dealing 1d4 points of damage is dumb.

You two would be guaranteed spots, once things got up off the ground!

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler
    Show

I would be happy to run you through a game set in Avalon Hill's Magic Realm. Due to posting guidelines I can't put the beautiful map tiles in this thread, but via Google Drive ...("fair use") ... anyway, the rules are here and here are Jeff Rient's "20":

What is the deal with my cleric's religion?
    Your cleric is a Mystic who obtains near-miraculous but limited powers by contemplating the archetypal attributes of a deity or powerful spirit or philosophic construct.

Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
    The Broken Harp Tavern, the Guardhouse, the Garrison, the village of Streams ...

Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
    That's not happening.

Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
    Beware the Witch King.

Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
    Some speak of the White Knight, some of the Captain, others whisper in fear of the Red Knight and his henchman the Bloody Orc.

Who is the richest person in the land?
    Whoever it is, they'd best be discreet.

Where can we go to get some magical healing?
    The Chapel, or the Dryad's Grove, perhaps the Tavern if a helpful wizard is there.

Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
    Level drain doesn't happen. The mystics at the Chapel can handle diseases and possibly curses. You'll need a wizard for most of the other stuff.

Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
    Professional courtesy urges sharing of spells, but there's no guild.

Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
    Wandering about.

Where can I hire mercenaries?
    Anywhere that armed folks gather. For example, the Broken Harp. Or the Garrison.

Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
    Johnny Law consists of the Guard and the Patrol, and they can be bought.

Which way to the nearest tavern?
    Just north of Streams, the Broken Harp is supposed to be the oldest building in the Realm.

What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
    The valleys are fairly safe, but once up in the wooded hills, you might find giants; and in the mountains or caverns, are dragons.

Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
    The Woodsfolk, the Bashkars, and even the Rogues are continually at the verge of revolt against the Guard, Patrol, Soldiers, and Lancers. The Company are a wild card.

How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
    No.

Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
    Seriously ... you're just going to right out ask anybody that question?

What is there to eat around here?
    Meat. bread. chicken, lots of veggies.

Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
    Yes. Two kingdoms fell in this Realm, and left behind warriors tombs, lost cities, and ruined castles.

Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
    Hoards and lairs abound in the mountains and caverns.

Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-06-20 at 06:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SCARY WIZARD View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hrm...well, if there isn't an update in a little while, I can start a game up.
    I could be ok with that plan.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that sounds like a great plan! Thanks for the offer (from the both of you)! If that's also what axharr prefers, we could go with Scary Wizard's game?

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    hi, I would be fine with rolling a new character for SCARY WIZARD's game. SW, could you please post the thread?

20. - Top - End - #50

Spoiler
    Show
    o wow all this interests D: I er uhh gimme a little bit, I have to go pick up my tips at work, and then make some last-minute touch-ups to the Documents. Then, it will be recroot tiem

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, take your time. I'm fine with rolling up a new character as well.

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show
    Whee!
    Got a question for you folks...

What would you prefer...
    -Swords & Wizardry White Box Rules, with the supplemental stuff from the website? House Rules for the sake of convenience.
    -Swords & Wizardry Core Rules; nothing added beyond House Rules, and the opportunity to play select races from Tome of Horrors.
    -Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules; some Tome of Horrors races allowed, in addition to the House Ruled stuff.

Spoilers, points of interest in my house rules involve...
    -Dual-classing
    -Racial level caps being lifted at the cost of experience bonuses on multi-classed characters; Wisdom and Charisma bonuses still apply, think of it as your...Dwarf Fighter/Thief having more pluck and panache than is standard for his race.
    -lol3rdEdition spontaneous healing/negative energy *****-slapping; Clerics also get to wield magical versions of their deity's favored weapons.

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show
    What I have are the S&W Core Rules so from that standpoint, that's what I prefer. Plus whatever house rules - your game, your rules. They sound fine. And thank you for hosting! When can we expect an IC thread, and what will be the setting?

Spoiler
    Show
    Little sad that Imaro got bored / busy ...

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, no problem at all! Glad to host retro. ...will only host 3rd/v3.5/E6 when I feel like it. D:

The setting is, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr generated using a combination of retro generators, other generators, modules, Seventh Sanctum, the decision decider, and RANDOM.ORG.

For stuff liike deities, just use any D&D pantheon. And if you're a Cleric who like...wants to just philosophize and gets is divine/profane power from Divine Humanism, or something, go right ahead, I played a Cleric who believed in the power of the Sun before, so why not let other people do that.

So, what level would you kah-raaazy kids prefer? I've got stuff for...roughly 0 Experience, 5000 Experience, and 10000 Experience. But I can MacGyver things for other levels.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know, right? D:

25. - Top - End - #55

Question Earc Ruadh

Spoiler
    Show

Wha will I get?
    (3d6)[6][2][1](9) STR
    (3d6)[5][1][3](9) DEX
    (3d6)[2][3][2](7) CON
    (3d6)[2][6][2](10) INT
    (3d6)[6][1][1](8) WIS
    (3d6)[4][2][5](11) CHA
    (1d8)[4](4) Fighter hp
    (1d6)[3](3) Cleric hp
    (1d4)[1](1) Wizard hp
    (1d4)[4](4) Thief hp

Earc Ruadh, a thieving scoundrel, level ?. Alignment: Neutral. Equipment / starting gold / etc. TBD on the new game thread.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-06-23 at 07:03 PM. Reason: choose a THIEF

26. - Top - End - #56

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait'll I get the thread up, Hoss, there's better rules for rolling!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Good morning everybody! (or whatever time of day it is at your spot on the earth)

Yes, thanks for hosting, Scary Wizard! I'm fine with the rules you pick. Too bad indeed that Imaro is gone.

28. - Top - End - #58