New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

Well this is plesant. Laucian will look around the forest, trying to gather his bearing. In a low voice, Laucian will ask of those that made it out with him, Is everyone alright, any injuries?

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Before departing, Kalaryn would try to waylay a trustworthy guild member, and tell them where she was going. Then she'd set off towards the southern breach; Preferably via a route that wasn't swarming with enemies. Along the way, she and Drask would watch for people in need of help.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Felecia nods at Laucian. "The big dude wouldn't hit me if I was the size of the house!" She looks at the probably many unlucky civilians and wondered if she could have said it more tactful.
    "So, anyone got a plan?" Felicia asks, looking at Tettik first and then looks around her to get a feeling for terrain. "If not I suggest we take an easy route trough the forest away from the city. It will be probably a couple of rough days but we don't want to make an camp near the city full monsters." She tries to remember any wise lessons from her father, but he never told her what to do when is close to a city full of things that want to eat you...
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lady Kalaryn:
    Spoiler
    Show

It takes a while to navigate the city streets, avoiding trouble as you go. Mercifully, the hordes of monsters are moving further up, and moving south and down the mountain takes you away from them. Above, you can hear the last sounds of destruction fading away as the city is taken. Three of the dragons withdraw into the clouds, but the red dragon- the one who spoke, and ordered the invaders out- settles again back at the summit, where the Aerium once fed the city.

Finding a guild member who isn't busy fighting or fleeing also proves a challenge- the streets are now deserted. Unfortunately, contact with the guild might now have to be through magic.

As you arrive at the breach, you see a few scattered individuals fleeing into the forest ahead of your- it looks like a family. It is a mark of how desperate they have become that they are willing to flee into the forest... but maybe the hell they imagine seems better than the battle they saw.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn rushed to catch up with the fleeing group. She ordered Drask to hang back as she approached, lest he be mistaken for a monster.

[These people had better appreciate our help. We'd have been much better off staying with the guild.]

[No, father was right: This is where we belong.]

6. - Top - End - #126

GnomePirate

Tettik responds to Laucien first. "I'm fine, that brute of a beast couldn't hit anything smaller than a house. Are you fine? I have an infusion if your not. They don't taste terrible, right Felicia, by the way my name is Tettik and this pretty foxfolk is Felicia." He looks around, bunching over himself in an uncharacteristic moment of self-conciousness. He hated how the mutagen made him look, the unnaturally long limbs, and the ugly overly smooth skin.

Spoiler
    Show
    The mutagen lasts for thirty minutes, so you might have to tell me when it wears out in game time.

"I think in this case safety relies in numbers, and we should gather at least a small group before heading to deep. Plus someone needs to help the poor saps who didn't want to explore this wonderful wood unlike myself who totally wanted to all along. I think I inherited that from my crazy uncle Tittik. We really need to find a secluded, easily defendable spot where we can sleep until morning comes. Otherwise we might get killed." Tettik says most of this in one breath, or parts of breaths. He looks around to see who might be in the area, but doesn't really see anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tettik will not even roll.

7. - Top - End - #127

Felicia, Tettik, Laucien
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just as you are discussing your options, you hear panting and footsteps behind you- someone is approaching from the city. You turn around to see three figures moving towards you through the dark. At first it is difficult to make out who they might be, but as they draw nearer, their shapes become silhouettes, and the silhouettes become faces. There is a young, pale, elfin-looking girl who will look familiar to Laucien, carrying a bow and wearing a long coat. Not far behind her is a second figure- a female half-elf wearing what appears to be noble dress. A third figure hangs back near the edge of the forest, shrouded in darkness. The nearest two run up to you until they are close enough to address.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    These two are Dylan and Lady Kalaryn, the other two PCs. No clues as to the third figure

Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dash across the open ground between the breached wall and the forest, and enter the Cimmerwood- the place your foster parents always told you that bad dreams come from, and from which fair folk come to steal away naughty children. It takes a certain amount of fortitude to cross the threshold of the forest, and the inside is no more inviting than you might imaging. Gnarled mossy trees muffle the sound around you, and there is little light through the canopy. The ground is uneven with trampled undergrowth and protruding roots, and the walking is not smooth.

Ahead of you, you see a trio of figures: one of them is Laucien. You do not recognise the other two, a fox-girl and a rat-man. They are talking in low voices, and they look around as you approach.

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show
    You enter the forest, and Drask hangs back at the border, so as not to provoke aggression from anyone who might mistake him for a beast. Running ahead of you is a young elf girl in a long coat- she suddenly stops when she comes across a trio of figures in the forest. One of the figures is a familiar enough face- and elf- but the other two are strange, a fox-girl and a rat-man. Denizens of the forest, or one of the city minorities? You know that a scattered few animal-kin live in the city, but after tonight, caution might be wise. Five of you are now gathered in the forest, in barely enough light to make out one another's face. The silence is thick between the trees. Will you approach this group? They have noticed you.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn peered through the darkness uncertainly. Was this the group she'd been sent to find? It was hard to tell. Perhaps she should stay back and evaluate the situation...

...No. If these were indeed the refugees, then she needed to make a good first impression. Skulking in the shadows wouldn't encourage people to trust or follow her. It was time for a little good faith. Kalaryn walked slowly forward, with arms outstretched to show that she was unarmed. She addressed the group in a calm, reassuring tone (while silently hoping that she'd made the right call).

"Don't be afraid. I am a Knight of High Spire, sent to aid those who wish to flee the city. Are you in need of such aid?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian responds to Felecia and Tettik while continuing his scan of the forest, Please call me Laucian. I agree with finding defensible location away from the city, exactly where that will be is the question.. Laucian goes quiet and draws his weapon as he hears the intruders.

Laucian finds the comments and questions from the newcomer a bit confusing, and with him not the best with social interaction, he fairly bluntly asks, Wouldn't you have more luck finding people in need of help from, say, inside the city? Not outside? He then gives a nod to Dylan, Hi Dylan, good to see you made it out, I guess you will be getting that adventure in the forest that you desired. Turning back to the knight, One thing that would potentially be helpful is telling us what you know about those dragons and why the big red one thinks the city is his home all of a sudden.
    Last edited by XianTheCoder; 2013-07-13 at 11:05 AM.

Show

None

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Laucian's rudeness washed over Kalaryn without effect. She didn't even seem to notice it.

"My first assignment was indeed to shepherd civilians within the city. But now I've been ordered to follow and protect a group (presumably yours) which was seen fleeing through the southern breach.

As for the dragons: They are a complete mystery to me. I have no knowledge of their identity or motives.
    "
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-07-13 at 09:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well no one in this city knew I existed more than 3 hours ago, so I believe your assumption to be incorrect. Perhaps these others are those you were sent to protect though. You are welcome to join us until you find those you were sent to protect. We intend to head deeper into the forest until we can determine the best course of action.

Show

None

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Following on Lauciens words "I think barely ten people knew I was in the city... and it was my first day as well... So unless it was a foxfolk or a member from the magic school thingy I don't think you are looking for me. Hi, by the name, knight. Names Felicia."
    She tried to not sound to bitter, more people would mean more difficulty going trough the forest, easier to get spotted and any safe place needs to be bigger and wild require more work. "In hindsight sticking in the forest would have been the safer option." She says, thinking out loud.
    "Best of course of action is getting as much distance between us and the city. Everything that you could ever call scary is in that city, so I don't suspect a lot of monsters left here."

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

"It doesn't matter how long a person has stayed in High Spire. From the moment that they cross the border, they are under our care. You think yourselves too obscure to warrant a Knight's attention? I assure you that that's not the case."

In the shadows nearby, a bestial figure shifted restlessly. He saw little point in all this idle conversation.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian will nod without saying anything, If he wants to try protecting us then why should we stop him, we made it clear we weren't who he was looking for. Shall we set off? I would hate to be overrun by a horde of monsters while sitting in discussion.. Laucian sheaths his sword and swings his shield to his back, drawing his bow and reading an arrow instead. Once he's prepared he starts to pick a direction and walk. Calling over his shoulder, Knight, who gave you orders to protect the group? Is there likely a contingent of high ranking survivors that will mount a resistance?

Show

None

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

"The orders came from Lord Defrain. And yes, there may well be powerful allies gathering in this forest. Unfortunately, I have no way of contacting them directly. We'll just have to manage by ourselves until we find the main group."

Kalaryn caught up with Laucian, and began to walk beside him. Now that she was close, her features were easier to make out. She had long red hair, green eyes, and a face free of malice. Strangely, she was wearing a dress: Not exactly standard attire for knights.

Somewhere behind the group, the bestial figure followed at a distance. He hadn't yet been told that it was okay to approach.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian glances at the woman as she falls in to step beside him, Unusual attire for a Knight. And what is the deal with your slinking friend in the back?.

Show

None

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Despite the terror of High Spire being overrun, I remain stupidly excited and somewhat starstruck at being in the presence of so many seasoned warriors and listen intently as they discuss a plan of action, then awkwardly interject with a big smile.

Hello, my name's Dylan! It's...er... a pleasure to meet all of you!

In turn I reach out for a shake of hands to each of the party. When I get to the fox-lady I get extra excited, perhaps too much so.

Ooh you look so pretty! I love your fur! Can I hug your tail a little?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you would like a diplomacy roll, take the following result!

(d20-1)[0]
    ... Ouch. Fair to say I was probably reaching to grab it without permission?
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-07-14 at 12:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XianTheCoder View Post
    Laucian glances at the woman as she falls in to step beside him, Unusual attire for a Knight. And what is the deal with your slinking friend in the back?
    "The attack came while I was asleep. In the rush to prepare, I just grabbed the first garment in reach. Thankfully, there should be an extra uniform in my backpack: I'll change into it at an opportune moment."

When questioned about her Eidolon, Kalaryn looked confused (and slightly impressed).

"How did you know he was my friend?"

Then Dylan came along and offered a hand to shake; Which Kalaryn accepted with a welcoming smile.

"Greetings, Dylan. I'm Lady Kalaryn, of House Defrain. It's a pleasure to meet you too."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I vigorously shake her hand and smile wide-eyed.

The pleasure is all mine!

I turn to Laucian.

I know right! Adventure here we come!
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-07-14 at 04:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

GnomePirate

Tettik was surprised when other people appeared, and for a strange amount of the conversation he remained silent apparently due to the shock and not at all for reasons dealing outside of his universe.

When the excitable lady shook everyone's hand he shook hers also. "I'm Tettik." He said. To Laucien he said. "I think what the knight lady meant was someone saw us leaving the city and said go protect them most likely in an important tone of voice. Our group is big enough to warrent protection from one person at least, and they wouldn't know some of us were fighters but they would probably assume so. Anyways we're all in this together is the appropriate cliche so let's find a place to rest."

When Laucien points out the eidolon he says "Is that friend your eidolon? I can tell it's an eidolon because of the obvious glowing sigil on it's forehead that matches the one on your forehead."

While walking Tettik decides it would be adventagous to mix an infusion of enlarge person.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn didn't quite know what to make of Tettik. She'd never met an oversized talking rat before. Still, he seemed nice enough. His comment about the sigil produced an embarrassed cough from her.

"A-ah, of course. I usually keep that covered..."

She also usually kept her long hair restrained with clips; But those had been left behind as well. Such was the price of dressing in a hurry.

"And yes, this is indeed my Eidolon. His name is 'Drask'. Say hello, Drask."

"...Charmed, I'm sure."

The words were spoken in a tone usually reserved for phrases like 'I hope you die.'

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

To Kalaryn, He arrived at the same time from the same direction as you, whether he is an actual friend or simply some shy companion you picked up in the flight from the city I didn't intended to imply. The slinking in the woods is a bit disconcerting though.

To Dylan, Ah yes, Adventure. He says it in a rather bland tone, clearly less excited than Dylan about the recent events.

At the introduction of Drask, Laucian showed little interest, the tone of its voice further pushed the pathetic creature from his mind. He wasn't sure what to make of the knight, the rat, and the fox, he certainly had already come to a decision regarding his opinions of Dylan, unfortunately he sensed this motley crew were going to be his companions and ulimately he was going to have to rely on them to watch his back, not exactly the group he would have chosen if given the choice.

This is Mooky, Laucian says, as he points to the monkey on his shoulder. He bites. Laucian smiles, reaches into his pouch and pulls out a nut, holding it up for Mooky to take from him, he then scratches his head and gives him a pet. At least I know I have one true friend and companion I can 100% trust.

Laucian continues to move deeper into the forest, looking for signs of other refugees and a defensible place to camp for the evening.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: (1d20+11)[28]
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+11)[14]

Last edited by XianTheCoder; 2013-07-15 at 11:03 AM.

Show

None

23. - Top - End - #143

You start to walk south, down the mountainside and into the forest. It is still very late at night, so it is hard to see very much. The trees are densely packed and between them are walls of bushes and briars. You advance slowly, pushing aside low-hanging branches and clusters of cobwebs.

Laucien
    Spoiler
    Show

After twenty minutes of walking, you see to your left the ground drops away. If you walk over to inspect the area, you will see that you are on top of a bank twenty feet high, beneath which the forest continues. In the wall of the bank is a tunnel entrance, large enough for a human to enter- it is about five or six feet wide, dug into the earth, though from this angle it is impossible to see how deep it is. As you peer down over the edge of the bank, something else catches your eye- a tiny, emerald-green spider with black legs scuttles over the edge and climbs down the bank.

The forest is a labyrinth, and occasionally howls or yips echo from a distance. As much as has poured into High Spire tonight, it appears the forest is still not emptied.

Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

After half an hour or so of walking, your mutagen wears off, and you return to your normal size and shape.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia coldly glares at Dylan, before slowly saying. "Hi Dylan... I am Felicia and I prefer if you keep your eyes on the wood, where the danger is, instead of tail." meanwhile thinking to herself: "What kind of weirdo grabs anyone's tail in the middle of the forest, especially mines!". Even though not saying it aloud, her thoughts are still clearly readable in her expression.

As the groups introduces more, Felicia wonders. "An eidolon... A monkey... What kind of circus is this becoming?" She rolls her eyes and tries to keep at a distance, it felt like a disaster traveling like this, but she was at least curious what would happen and worse, she could always flee.

During the trip she says to Tettik: "Well it's bit dark now, but I promised to show the 'short cuts' of the forest. Often animals walk the same route, because if one succeed, it means a safe way for others. And when many animal walk it, the plants get trampled making it even easier to walk on." Felicia pauses when she get stuck in another cobweb. "I do wonder... We are running in a lot of stuff. Are there not a lot of animal here or is the person in charge, Laucian, just oblivious of the trails?"

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to figure out the trails of animals here
    Survival (1d20+8)[23]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+6)[22]
    Perception (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2013-07-16 at 02:29 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn eventually slowed to let Laucian get ahead of her. He didn't seem eager for company right now. Trying to force the issue would likely just push him further away. Instead, Kalaryn drifted back towards the family of refugees. She had a feeling that they could use some moral support. Giving them all (especially the children) one of her most reassuring smiles, she fell into step beside them.

"So, how is everyone holding up? Is there anything you need?"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian motions for everyone to halt. It appears we are at the edge of a cliff. There is a cave of indeterminant depth not far past the ledge. It may provide cover, or it may be infested with monsters that will kill us and devour our remains. Is anyone interested in being hoisted down to perform an inspection?

Show

None

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I jump at the chance to have an adventure.

Yeah! I'll go! Pick me! If for no other reason than I'm the lightest!

And I've got these!

I pull out a couple of torches and some rope.

Plus I can carry fire and not risk anyone's gorgeous fluffy tail!

Despite (but not, I hasten to add, in spite of) the previously cold reception I smile at Felicia.

Needless to say by this point I'm grinning eagerly.

28. - Top - End - #148

GnomePirate

Tettik listens with interest to what Felicia says. He adds, after she is finished. "Could such tracks, I wonder, and how they move also show if some plants have medicinal properties? Such as if the animals deviated form their standard routes often enough to show that some plant helped them from time to time?" He muses out loud and to himself. When the mutagen wears off he visibly relaxes, and stops hunching over himself. He resumes his normal posture and regains his self-vanity.

About Laucian he says "I don't think he can see them from all the way up their."

When Dylan volunteers he says "Hold on hold on hold on hold on." He uses his last infusion to mix Keen senses and gives it to her. Drink this, it will make your senses get all sharp and keep you from getting jumped by a bunch of hidden badgers. They're everywhere. But if you drink that you'll be completely fine."

Spoiler
    Show
    It adds +2 to your perception and gives you low-light vision. If you already have it it doubles the distance you can see in low-light.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I guess Dylan will serve a purpose after all. If she is eaten we know to avoid an area. Thanks for volunteering Dylan. Here let me tie that rope around you. Laucian proceeds to tie the rope around Dylan, then locates a few sturdy trees to use as a pulley/Lever. When she is ready, he starts to lower her down. Somebody should probably grab the end of the rope with me... just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

Since Use Rope is no longer a Skill, I'll just roll Dex

(1d20+4)[17]

Show

None

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I drink the potion without a second thought that it could be literally anything and that I don't know this rat at all.

Ahh that hit the spot! Oooooh! I can see all sorts! Thank you Rattik! Those badgers sound scary, I hope they don't nibble my feet!

I hand the flask back to Tettik and help Laucian tie the rope.

Then I light one of the torches and peer over the edge.

I'm ready!

I hold the torch away from the rope in my off hand and draw my kukri as I get lowered over the cliff edge.

I call out gently into the gloom as I look around.

Heeeere badger badger badger!

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    (d20+10)[26]
    That's d20 + My mod of 8 + 2 from the super seeing solute. Dylan has darkvision so it only bestows LLV (unless it has any benefit to darkvision as well?)