New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Kerbals in Spaaaaace!

Still no release date, but we now get a glimpse of how the new career will play!

Last edited by Peelee; 2014-07-11 at 11:07 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks pretty cool. I liked Career mode before, but now that there's objectives and money involved, maybe I'll actually play it some more instead of just making wacky rovers in sandbox.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, I'm liking the looks of this update--it will provide some much-needed structure to the game, and actually give a reason for doing stuff other than "it's there".

4. - Top - End - #394

So the allure of modding has finally caught me in its snare; I'm trying to install Chatterer, but in having issues. I threw the .dll in the Plugins folder, and the sound folders in the Sounds folder. I have the Chatterer interface on my screen, ask the controls are open to me, but it just won't read the sound files and acts like I don't have any. I've tried taking each individual sound file and putting it in the Sounds folder, instead of the subfolders, but that changed nothing. I've tried looking online for help, but no one else seems to have this issue, and I don't want to join other forums yet. Can anyone diagnose what I'm doing wrong?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm trying to install Chatterer, but in having issues. I threw the .dll in the Plugins folder, and the sound folders in the Sounds folder.
    If i understand it correctly you copied the .dll into the main KSP/Plugins folder? If so the problem lies with the installation. Pretty much every mod is installed by dropping the complete mod folder into the /Gamedata folder, where every mod then has it's own Plugins, Sounds, ... folders. Like this.
    Otherwise i don't really know what could be wrong.
    Last edited by Eirala; 2014-07-13 at 01:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Eirala View Post
    If i understand it correctly you copied the .dll into the main KSP/Plugins folder? If so the problem lies with the installation. Pretty much every mod is installed by dropping the complete mod folder into the /Gamedata folder, where every mod then has it's own Plugins, Sounds, ... folders. Like this.
    Otherwise i don't really know what could be wrong.
    Ahhhhhh. I don't know how I managed to misread the instructions when I was looking up how to do mods in general... ill give it a go. Thanks!

Edit: Yep, that did it! Thanks again.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-07-13 at 04:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

I completed the Jool 5 challange!

...no more KSP till.24, I think.

8. - Top - End - #398

Edit: Yep, that did it! Thanks again.
    Glad i could help ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post

Nice job ^^

I still haven't done any kind of tour, though i did begin a grand tour some time ago. It's so much work to fly though...maybe i'll pick it up again some time. Surely just to notice some design flaw toward the last few planets / moons ^^
    Currently i'm just trying to get an automated skycrane with kOS working to deliver a rover on mars in RSS, after that i'll also wait until 0.24. (which is maybe a week away)

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post

....And I'm just sitting around ecstatic about my successful landing and return from Gilly, my first manned expedition outside Kerbin's SoI. Kudos, fine sir.
    Glad i could help ^.^
    Quite a bit. I'm adamantly against any mods that alter the game in any way (I especially consider it a source of pride that I get all my accomplishments sans Mechjeb - my Kerbals take affronts to their piloting skills seriously), and this was the only mod I've found that both sounded really awesome, and didn't make the game any easier in any way. Downside is I had no idea how to install mods. In short, you rock, ma'am.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quite a bit. I'm adamantly against any mods that alter the game in any way (I especially consider it a source of pride that I get all my accomplishments sans Mechjeb - my Kerbals take affronts to their piloting skills seriously), and this was the only mod I've found that both sounded really awesome, and didn't make the game any easier in any way. Downside is I had no idea how to install mods. In short, you rock, ma'am.
    Sounds like the mod you really want is BTSM. It's an overhaul of the tech tree, plus a few minor modifications and new parts, designed to give the game a more structured and challenging progression. You start the game with just a SRB and a probe core, and have to work your way up into more advanced control systems, liquid engines, high-altitude cockpits, solar panels, and so on. Basically it takes the toy that is KSP, and makes a real game out of it.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Sounds like the mod you really want is BTSM. It's an overhaul of the tech tree, plus a few minor modifications and new parts, designed to give the game a more structured and challenging progression. You start the game with just a SRB and a probe core, and have to work your way up into more advanced control systems, liquid engines, high-altitude cockpits, solar panels, and so on. Basically it takes the toy that is KSP, and makes a real game out of it.
    That looks pretty awesome, especially with the realistic re-entry and ferram mods augmenting it. May do that setup on a secondary computer and see how it is. Main computer, though, is gonna run pure stock (well, and Chatterer). I like the toy that is KSP. I like to think that the physics, as presented, is just how they work on Kerbin. With occasional changes as updates come out.

BTSM does intrigue the hell outta me, though... I want to try it and see what is all about. Thanks for the recommendation!

12. - Top - End - #402

That looks pretty awesome, especially with the realistic re-entry and ferram mods augmenting it.
    If you like realism you may also want to take a look at the Realism Overhaul - realistic planet sizes (Kerbin is only 1/10th the size of the Earth), realistic engine properties, different fuel types, and besides many others FAR and Deadly Reentry are of course also included. Makes it way harder, especially much less forgiving (who would have thought space travel is actually hard? ) though, but of course also way more rewarding. And of course you can just install the mods you like.

If you don't want to install too many mods / mods that significantly influence gameplay it's probably nothing for you, but i wanted to throw it out there nonetheless. For me the Realism Overhaul made KSP from an awesome game into a 1000+ hours timesink ^^

13. - Top - End - #403

If you like realism you may also want to take a look at the Realism Overhaul - realistic planet sizes (Kerbin is only 1/10th the size of the Earth), realistic engine properties, different fuel types, and besides many others FAR and Deadly Reentry are of course also included. Makes it way harder, especially much less forgiving (who would have thought space travel is actually hard? ) though, but of course also way more rewarding. And of course you can just install the mods you like.

If you don't want to install too many mods / mods that significantly influence gameplay it's probably nothing for you, but i wanted to throw it out there nonetheless. For me the Realism Overhaul made KSP from an awesome game into a 1000+ hours timesink ^^
    Wow. While I have no intention of modding out my main stock game any more than the Chatterer I've tossed in (and, of course, any official updates they throw in from time to time), I think at this point I have to devote a different computer to hyper-realistic Kerballian antics. It all sounds too awesome to pass up. I haven't looked into much beyond the BTSM mod, but I've wanted things like a non-infinite life-support system and whatnot for a while, and it just sounds like it all keeps getting better. Also, at that point I would also invest in tools like Protractor and Kerbal Alarm Clock, so that I actually have a "ground control" and on-board computer to help with the space program. Still no MechJeb, though... even with all the math worked out, my Kerbals fly by skill alone.

Thanks for the heads up!

P.S. I really like this tiny community of Kerbonauts on here. You guys all rock.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-07-14 at 01:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. While I have no intention of modding out my main stock game any more than the Chatterer I've tossed in (and, of course, any official updates they throw in from time to time), I think at this point I have to devote a different computer to hyper-realistic Kerballian antics. It all sounds too awesome to pass up. I haven't looked into much beyond the BTSM mod, but I've wanted things like a non-infinite life-support system and whatnot for a while, and it just sounds like it all keeps getting better. Also, at that point I would also invest in tools like Protractor and Kerbal Alarm Clock, so that I actually have a "ground control" and on-board computer to help with the space program. Still no MechJeb, though... even with all the math worked out, my Kerbals fly by skill alone.

Thanks for the heads up!

P.S. I really like this tiny community of Kerbonauts on here. You guys all rock.
    Just a heads up, BTSM is designed to be played without any other mods, since many of them would break the carefully-tuned challenges it tries to set before you, either making them hilariously easy (FAR) or completely impossible (Realism Overhaul), or simply won't work at all due to trying to change the same things. Stuff like Chatterer, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer (another mod I'd highly recommend, it's basically MechJeb without the autopilot), and other "utility" mods work just fine with it though.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

15. - Top - End - #405

I haven't looked into much beyond the BTSM mod, but I've wanted things like a non-infinite life-support system and whatnot for a while, and it just sounds like it all keeps getting better.
    Speaking of life support, i forgot to mention that there's also a mod for that: TAC Life Support. It does have regenerators, but you can't create a 100% closed system. And there's Remotetech, which makes it necessary to have a connection to KSC at all times for probes, meaning you'll have to create a communication network with satellites. This mod can be pretty buggy though.

But yeah, if you like the idea of realistic space flight you can get pretty close and i'd guess you'll enjoy the mod collection

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Just a heads up, BTSM is designed to be played without any other mods, since many of them would break the carefully-tuned challenges it tries to set before you, either making them hilariously easy (FAR) or completely impossible (Realism Overhaul), or simply won't work at all due to trying to change the same things.
    Yup. Though if you plan on using Realism Overhaul there are also custom tech trees available, i use the Medieval one, which is also designed to represent a more realistic progression in technology. It also takes much much longer to complete, the vanilla tech tree just needs a bit over 10k science IIRC and Medieval takes about 100k to 200k or something like that.

BTW: It was announced a few hours ago 0.24 will be released either today or tomorrow! I'm so excited!

16. - Top - End - #406

BTW: It was announced a few hours ago 0.24 will be released either today or tomorrow! I'm so excited!
    As of 5 minutes ago, First Contract is now live. A day late, but easily forgivable.

17. - Top - End - #407

As of 5 minutes ago, First Contract is now live. A day late, but easily forgivable.
    Indeed so, most indeededly. The update really lives up to the hype in my opinion, just had my first lunar landing in the new career and much fun was had. But now i'll go to bed seeing that it is 4 am
    Last edited by Eirala; 2014-07-17 at 09:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408

Indeed so, most indeededly. The update really lives up to the hype in my opinion, just had my first lunar landing in the new career and much fun was had. But now i'll go to bed seeing that it is 4 am
    Had to stop after only two missions, but I'm loving all the new features. Either I've greatly improved since the last update, or the revamped tech tree is massively helpful; third mission is planned to be a Münar landing, as my Proto Deathpod line of rockets is advancing faster than I could have imagined.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

My friends and I aren't sure if this is a bug or not, but it seems for the testing missions (test parachutes at x height and y speed, test liquid rockets, etc) that you have to complete the mission with the tested component still attached to the command module and in working condition(i.e. not partially destroyed). This has given me quite the challange, because I'm so used to using stack decouplers up till I'm left with a command module and paracute for near kerbin activities XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That actually sounds pretty reasonable--you'd probably want to recover and look at the tested component to make sure it didn't suffer any unexpected damage, even if all other indications suggested the test was a success.

21. - Top - End - #411

It is a bit annoying that you also need to test them when all the conditions are met by then activating it in the stack order. Meaning that if you're already running an engine before you hit the altitude conditions, or speed conditions, then the test doesn't complete. I guess it makes sense, but I wish I had known that before wasting two launches trying to figure out why the tests weren't working.

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    My friends and I aren't sure if this is a bug or not, but it seems for the testing missions (test parachutes at x height and y speed, test liquid rockets, etc) that you have to complete the mission with the tested component still attached to the command module and in working condition(i.e. not partially destroyed). This has given me quite the challange, because I'm so used to using stack decouplers up till I'm left with a command module and paracute for near kerbin activities XD
    If that's how it is for you it is definitely a bug (or have you installed mods?). Instead, once you activate a part with the given conditions you should instantly get the reward and a message that you completed the contract in the upper right corner so you're free to decouple everything you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    It is a bit annoying that you also need to test them when all the conditions are met by then activating it in the stack order. Meaning that if you're already running an engine before you hit the altitude conditions, or speed conditions, then the test doesn't complete. I guess it makes sense, but I wish I had known that before wasting two launches trying to figure out why the tests weren't working.
    You can actually use the engines before you complete a contract by either activating it by hand (right click -> activate engine) or activating them by action groups. You can then still complete contracts by staging the already running parts.

I hope they revise the whole activation system though. You can't complete contracts by activating an engine via action groups, just by staging, which i find really annoying.
    Last edited by Eirala; 2014-07-22 at 11:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413

You can actually use the engines before you complete a contract by either activating it by hand (right click -> activate engine) or activating them by action groups. You can then still complete contracts by staging the already running parts.

I hope they revise the whole activation system though. You can't complete contracts by activating an engine via action groups, just by staging, which i find really annoying.
    I'll have to give it a try next time I play. Hopefully the next version can patch that up.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    When EVERYTHING has parachutes on it (to help recoup costs) and you're supposed to be testing a parachute, but the one needing to be tested isn't directly linked to the command module upon mission completetion and not getting the reward due to that is kinda irratating.

And as for total number of mods: 0

Will have to play around with it more today, only got to mess with the new stuff about an hour yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

25. - Top - End - #415

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    When EVERYTHING has parachutes on it (to help recoup costs) and you're supposed to be testing a parachute, but the one needing to be tested isn't directly linked to the command module upon mission completetion and not getting the reward due to that is kinda irratating.

And as for total number of mods: 0

Will have to play around with it more today, only got to mess with the new stuff about an hour yesterday.
    My first instinct on hearing that parts need to still be on the ship and recoverable was, "welp, that'll make the radial decoupler tests quite the challenge."

That would be annoying, though. And everything is checked off in the mission guideline box when you activate them, you say?

26. - Top - End - #416

And everything is checked off in the mission guideline box when you activate them, you say?
    Yep, i'm sure about that. The contract in question gets green in the contracts list, and you get a message plus the reward less than a second after you complete it.

27. - Top - End - #417

In other news, while the nasty requirements for parachutes, boosters, and decouplers seem to be listed, I've run into similar missions that appear to have similar secret requirements. The most obvious one was sepertron misson: I dutifully added the seperatrons to the capsule (I'm pretty sure they had to land, the first time they were on a booster), fired them, landed, and still failed the mission. Maybe I can't fire them?

Still haven't fired the boosters in the magic zone (with a system of three such boosters).

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    In other news, while the nasty requirements for parachutes, boosters, and decouplers seem to be listed, I've run into similar missions that appear to have similar secret requirements. The most obvious one was sepertron misson: I dutifully added the seperatrons to the capsule (I'm pretty sure they had to land, the first time they were on a booster), fired them, landed, and still failed the mission. Maybe I can't fire them?

Still haven't fired the boosters in the magic zone (with a system of three such boosters).
    Sometimes you need to right click engines and click "Run Test" instead of staging. I can't remember that i had a contract yet where this was the case with solid fuel engines, but it may be possible. You can check if you have to stage or perform the test in the contract description when you accept it, and while flying a mission by clicking on the blue "Note" with a + in front to expand the text.

29. - Top - End - #419

Yep, i'm sure about that. The contract in question gets green in the contracts list, and you get a message plus the reward less than a second after you complete it.
    Eek. Error in communication. I was asking Wookieetank (who gets bonus points for spelling Wookiee correctly, bytheway... you don't even know how many times I see it with one 'e') if he checked to make sure he had all the criteria met at the time of activation for the given contract, not whether you had to have all or only some of them to complete the contract; that I figured out quickfast in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post

I just plopped 'em on a command pod with a fuel tank so heavy they couldn't lift it. Anything needed "landed at Kerbin" can be done on the launchpad without an engine. And if you don't use fuel, you get a 100% return rate, since you're at the KSC. Free money/reputation.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-07-23 at 12:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420

Eek. Error in communication. I was asking Wookieetank (who gets bonus points for spelling Wookiee correctly, bytheway... you don't even know how many times I see it with one 'e') if he checked to make sure he had all the criteria met at the time of activation for the given contract, not whether you had to have all or only some of them to complete the contract; that I figured out quickfast in the game.
    Woops. Now i feel silly to not have seen that.
    And yes, important point.