Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World II

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    [Soul Society]
    (Monastery of the Ho-ou)

This time, the Kido seems to take a better hold, the new Bakudo layering with the last to overwhelm the creature's sensibilities. Had it been more intelligent, it might have protected itself with some ability or other, but its understanding seemed rudimentary at best, and then again, the Bakudo is cast by the strongest member of the Med division -- the Hollow promptly drops, unconscious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds reasonable.
    Seeing the Hollow go down Castus waits a few seconds to make sure it was down before extending the hole in the Barrier so that Lucita would be able to walk through.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Monastery of the Ho-ou)

Lucita

Giving a brief smile to Castus, "thank you, remain behind your own barrier in case it wakes up hostile", she felt the chance was brief.

Examining the former shinigami carefully both the hollow material and the reiatsu it was giving off.

The Saketsu was most important here, it was the area where and hollow formation would likely have to start, and from there is would corrupt the Hakusui to generate the change. Or such was her primary hypothesis.

The shinigami nature would need to be fortified. She brought out needle containing a solution of Sekkiseki and used a minute dose to suppress the change in the Hakusui while beginning a Kaidō healing on the Saketsu to ensure a firm Shinigami nature would force its way forward.
    It was her hope and expectation to retard the hollow development, and than force the man to heal himself with Shinigami nature.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Las Noches
    Just inside the gate

Arianna will continue looking around, making mental notes of anything that stands out. She doesn't really have anything to add to the conversation at the moment.

She does spend some time thinking of how Jehoel could be completely masking his reiatsu. She's never heard of such a thing before.

Hueco Mundo
    En route to Cuevas de Merte

Randii chuckles a little. Well, of course we should expect that. We're all Hollows here. It's what we do.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll take your word for it. Admittedly, I haven't been around long enough to personally observe Sawada before his... demise." Setsurou seemed to have a really hard time not classifying Sawada's stunt as idiotic.

How much practice went into it is hard to tell at a glance.

"I don't really see any reason we cannot do both. I'm actually very curious about this city. I can't think of a time something similar was seen in Hueco Mundo."

His praise was genuine, or at least sounded genuine enough that there didn't seem to be enough reason to doubt it.

"I'm curious, though. You Arrancar have attained greater logic and reason after a very... complex evolutionary process. So I can see the building of a city as something to accomplish.

But what about the other Hollows? The ones who have not torn off their masks?"
    [Las Noches]
    District 11

"Very well, I'll give you the tour. The city is divided into three rings surrounding the central palace. The outer ring has 12 districts, followed by six in the inner ring. Currently, we are in district 11; a holding area for Hollows awaiting conversion. District 12 is a prison, which has not been dealt with since the city's recent political upheaval."

District 12 isn't particularly remarkable. It has a large number of tightly packed buildings, but seems largely deserted. Or the denizens may be out of sight. The concentration of Hollow Reiatsu within the city makes it difficult to tell the exact location of individual signatures.

"I'm curious, though. You Arrancar have attained greater logic and reason after a very... complex evolutionary process. So I can see the building of a city as something to accomplish.

But what about the other Hollows? The ones who have not torn off their masks?"

"The most interesting part of the Arrancarification process is not what it changes about us. It's what it doesn't. The psychological differences between Arrancar and Hollows were almost universally present prior to the mask's removal. The most significant change to our behavior comes from the elimination of our hunger; we no longer require a constant diet of souls to survive. That by itself creates a significant difference, but even without that Hollows are capable of loyalty, cooperation, and vision."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Orc in the Playground

"Capable of and willing to are two very distinct things, however. I can't help but wonder how no longer needing sustenance must feel. To have the option, I mean.

That is the crux that divides Hollows and Arrancar, isn't it? Without hunger, your drive is yours to determine. You've taken it upon yourself to build a city. To rein in the impulses of those who have caused your kind to be feared and hunted.

And judging from your stance when you first received us, to absorb as much knowledge as you can.

So I ask again. How do you deal with the wayward Hollows? Those unable, or not willing, to listen to reason?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #366

[Las Noches]
    District 11

"You might be surprised. Even before this city rose, many Hollows and Menos traveled in groups. Much of a Hollow's life, after all, is risk and reward. Once a Hollow grows powerful enough that humans provide insufficient sustenance, it must either hunt Shinigami, or other Hollows. The former is impractical for a variety of reasons. The latter is a razor edge. An enemy too weak to present a threat is not enough to provide sufficient sustenance. Every battle a Hollow fights could be its last. Finding allies, although it presents a tremendous risk, provides a great benefit to all within the group. Over time bonds of friendship, even love can be formed. And that is without the stability and safety of this city."

Ahead, another large gate is visible. Once again, the group passes through without effort.

"District 10. Conversions. This is where the Arrancarification process occurs."

The district is lined with identical rows of small, identical buildings. Occasionally, an Arrancar technician can be seen moving from building to building.

"Continuing...yes, hunger is one of the two main differences between Arrancar and Hollow. The other is potential. As a Hollow or Shinigami grows, it becomes more set in its ways, and less likely to advance. Arrancarification offers a 'reset' of sorts, allowing easier progress, both mentally, and in terms of combat potential."

District 10 is eerily quiet; it has none of the civilian presence of the previous district. The streets are nearly abandoned, and there is nothing audible in the air beyond the distant sounds of the other districts.

"As a side note, what you saw before was unconnected to my desire for further knowledge."

Well, that was helpful, Jehoel.

"As for how we deal with other Hollows...what do you think we do? Hollows do two things: consume, and evolve. This city is the pinnacle of Hollow achievement. If a given Hollow will not assist in our evolution, it will be consumed. The respite this city offers from the laws of the desert exists only within its walls."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

[Seireitei]
    [District 49 - North]

They got the Tsukamis, they fought back, and the pack tore them apart for it. Satoshi was a good man, honorable, strong, but he was no shinigami, he couldn't fight these monsters and win.

All around Katashi, screams filled the night. His neighbours either falling prey to them or taking part in the madness. He couldn't be brave, he had to take his family out of there. He couldn't stop, the hounds would catch up.

How did this all happen, and so fast?

No more than four hours prior, the Honokas, Katashi and Mayu, and the Tsukamis, Satoshi and Greta, were drinking under the moonlight, nothing was being celebrated really, just a casual dinner between neighbours.

That is when the crushing feel of horror and despair came, a sudden surge of the most awful reiatsu they had ever felt, even in this nearly-forsaken district where hollow attacks were more common than anyone cared for them to be, it was brief, but it shook them to their very cores, and it woke up little Ami too, crying and bawling.

Minutes passed, it did not return, but the mood was pretty dead and unlikely to return. The Tsukamis were staying for the night, when these sorts of surges of spiritual power happened, people huddled together, safer that way... or at least they felt safer, anyway.

Now, no way anyone is sleeping after that. Only babies, madmen and the soporized, and you can't be sure about any of those either. Not often you feel that kind o raw, black-souled evil anywhere this side of the juncture between Hueco Mundo and Hell. So Katashi, Satoshi, Mayu and Greta are wide awake, which is probably good for them.

Gives them advance warning when the dogs show up.

Plenty of the things all over Soul Society. Tamed, wild, purebred, mongrel, familiaris, lupus. All kinds of dogs all over Soul Society, people say there are dog-gods who speak living in the Seireitei, even. Best friends of men since time immemorial.

These things aren't no dogs these people ever saw. It is dark but nobody could miss these things, smooth and white and skeletal and faceless, like some kind of bug gone horribly wrong.

There's way too many of the things too. And after them comes a man. Dirty, ragged vests, messy black hair that never saw a goddamn scissor. Scar on his face, caked blood on his pants. Man growls and the dogs obey, some of them move towards upstairs.

Satoshi jumps on him out of nowhere, so does Greta. Gives Katashi and Mayu time to run up and grab Ami, they can only hear the cries as they flee through a window and out into the streets.

And thus we come full circle to the beggining of this mess. It is past midnight and the border of the district nears, they can see the fence, the open gate into 48 north, nobody cares about the name of the place. All over their run, the Honokas have seen people and monsters running and crying and merrily going mad around them. This place isn't Heaven but this place sure never wasn't this kind of Hell.

Almost at the security post, no shinigami to be seen. Motherless ******* probably went for a drink. Who needs that creepy guy anyway, in decades he's proven to be useless as they come.

Gate is near, nobody tripped and sprained an ankle like some crappy dramatic plot device. They are making it out of here, warning the inner districts, maybe Seireitei will even do something about it.

Ha. Haha. Hahehaha. Hahehehehohohohooo... Man. That was priceless.

Something big and pale and wrong leaps from the woods and sends Mayu and Katashi tumbling down into the streets, they can barely protect their little daughter from the impact with the dusty ground.

It resembles those dogs in the moonlight but it ain't no dog. Maybe an ape or a big man. Who's to say what was the template underneath that white carapace and that head with nothing but smoothness and teeth.

Impact was hard, Mayu is out, Katashi can feel his consciouness fade, Ami looks well. They won't be that way for long, that is all but sure.

[Seireitei]
    [Monastery of the Ho-ou - Morning, day four]

Katashi opens his eyes from a bad, bad dream, he looks to the side to look at his wife. There she is, in the other hospital bed.

Oh Spirit King, that all happened. How did they get there, where is Ami.

What is going on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    [Las Noches]
    District 11

"You might be surprised. Even before this city rose, many Hollows and Menos traveled in groups. Much of a Hollow's life, after all, is risk and reward. Once a Hollow grows powerful enough that humans provide insufficient sustenance, it must either hunt Shinigami, or other Hollows. The former is impractical for a variety of reasons. The latter is a razor edge. An enemy too weak to present a threat is not enough to provide sufficient sustenance. Every battle a Hollow fights could be its last. Finding allies, although it presents a tremendous risk, provides a great benefit to all within the group. Over time bonds of friendship, even love can be formed. And that is without the stability and safety of this city."

Ahead, another large gate is visible. Once again, the group passes through without effort.

"District 10. Conversions. This is where the Arrancarification process occurs."

The district is lined with identical rows of small, identical buildings. Occasionally, an Arrancar technician can be seen moving from building to building.

"Continuing...yes, hunger is one of the two main differences between Arrancar and Hollow. The other is potential. As a Hollow or Shinigami grows, it becomes more set in its ways, and less likely to advance. Arrancarification offers a 'reset' of sorts, allowing easier progress, both mentally, and in terms of combat potential."

District 10 is eerily quiet; it has none of the civilian presence of the previous district. The streets are nearly abandoned, and there is nothing audible in the air beyond the distant sounds of the other districts.

"As a side note, what you saw before was unconnected to my desire for further knowledge."

Well, that was helpful, Jehoel.

"As for how we deal with other Hollows...what do you think we do? Hollows do two things: consume, and evolve. This city is the pinnacle of Hollow achievement. If a given Hollow will not assist in our evolution, it will be consumed. The respite this city offers from the laws of the desert exists only within its walls."
    "Darwinian evolution at its finest, isn't it?" Setsurou mumbled, more to himself than anyone else.

"That would also imply that more often than not, Shinigami are hunting the rabble. The dregs of Hueco Mundo. It's not that your group is unusual for being a group. It is unusual because of the steps it has taken. How it chose to manifest.

Can't say I'm not surprised at the level of pragmatism to this approach. It's beautiful, in its own way."

He didn't look all that deep in thought, though the contrast between his expression and speech patterns were obvious to even the most uncaring of observers.

"Couldn't help but notice how... dead this district seems. Are the Arrancarification chambers soundproof?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

[In the Dangai]

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
    Mikoto smiles. "Fun fact: the research records at the SSI are not very well indexed, since no one there is comfortable with anyone but the Grand Sorcerer having that extensive of knowledge of everything in the data base, and the Grand Sorcerer doesn't feel like doing that much paperwork. Since my research was filed under healing and kido, it probably didn't turn up.

As for blocking a garganta, now that would be something! Problem is, a garganta isn't a gap, but a tear. Reversing the process would create more fabric, and perhaps even provide a bandage over a garganta, but it wouldn't close it. Problem is, creating is a lot harder than destroying. Theoretically I suppose it would be possible, but a hollow could just use another garganta to go through the bandage, and so unless many layers could be put on at once... actually, that wouldn't be that difficult once you could make on layer... why yes, IF you could reverse the process (and that's a big if Rashi, especially since you'd need an incredible amount of reishi for each layer), you could block a hollow almost indefinitely.
    Yamoto Sayuri stays silent for a long while after the explanation. Then she speaks. "Kokugen-san... I think those walls may be the bandages you are talking about. They seem like they would renew themselves if broken. But who put them in place? Or are they a natural formation? In either case, where does all that flowing... gooeye... slimey icky stuff come from?" Looking at the walls for this long is making the intern sick, and its showing on her face.

---

[Soul Society]
    Monastery of the Ho-ou

When Katashi bother to look to his other side, he might notice there is a young chinese man (?) wearing a white labcoat sitting on a chair next to his bed. The man's skin has odd greenish tinge and his eyes look oddly lifeless. "Hello. I'm here to investigate case of patient #113", the young man says in eerie monotone. "Please repeat to me all events you have experienced within last 24 hours."
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Soul Society]
    Monastery of the Ho-ou

When Katashi bother to look to his other side, he might notice there is a young chinese man (?) wearing a white labcoat sitting on a chair next to his bed. The man's skin has odd greenish tinge and his eyes look oddly lifeless. "Hello. I'm here to investigate case of patient #113", the young man says in eerie monotone. "Please repeat to me all events you have experienced within last 24 hours."
    Shinigami really don't care do they? Man's just a number to this fella.

Katashi recounts the last day. Normal morning, common afternoon, woke up, had a bath, kissed wife, doted on child, went to work, came back. Had dinner with the neighbours. Felt a horrible spiritual pressure. House was invaded by a madman with his helldogs. Neighbours were killed. Fled with family while district went to hell, got pounded into the ground by some inbred man-monster. Fainted. Woke up here.

Where Katashi's report fails, the report of the shinigami who rescued his family picks up. An unseated member of the pack fought a strange hollow to a standstill, no hollow hole visible, but the thing's carapace was very much hollow bone. No face, no speech, just some low growls and the odd chittering in the nearby area, possibly form smaller hollows nearby, he did not see them. The thing fled when it was clear he would win the fight.

District 49 is pretty damn big, and he could hear the screams all over it, way too much for the few stationed shinigami to handle, whatever it was. He sent for the guards of the adjacent districts to put the borders into lockdown and be on the lookout.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #371

Spoiler
    Show
    "Darwinian evolution at its finest, isn't it?" Setsurou mumbled, more to himself than anyone else.

"That would also imply that more often than not, Shinigami are hunting the rabble. The dregs of Hueco Mundo. It's not that your group is unusual for being a group. It is unusual because of the steps it has taken. How it chose to manifest.

Can't say I'm not surprised at the level of pragmatism to this approach. It's beautiful, in its own way."

He didn't look all that deep in thought, though the contrast between his expression and speech patterns were obvious to even the most uncaring of observers.

"Couldn't help but notice how... dead this district seems. Are the Arrancarification chambers soundproof?"
    [Las Noches]
    District 11

"If you look at Hollows as a single species, then yes. Our lack of sexual reproduction and common traits, however, separates us from the biological aspects of Darwin's theory of evolution."

Jehoel considers Setsurou's next statements for a few seconds before answering.

"The city is still quite unusual. Groups rarely exceed single digits in number. For one, power levels must be roughly balanced. Too weak, and they won't be useful. Too strong, and the group is more useful as food. That 'sweet spot' is difficult to hit, particularly since the default response on encountering another Hollow is flight or aggression. Complex leadership and rules are also rare. At most, a group will have a single leader. Establishing a specific, immobile home location is also rare. It can attract unwanted attention. Really, I would place this city in a different category entirely than the groups I described. The degree of difference is in both form and function is greater than I have properly explained."

Jehoel makes a sweeping gesture with one arm.

"Which isn't to say that Las Noches is the first such assemblage. There have been other kings, other tribes and even cities...or more often, armies. Strength, however, is relative, and hubris is disgustingly common in Hollows. At this second, a few of the Espada are hunting down another organized community of Hollows. For sport. Their greatest warriors will be as nothing before us."

It isn't a threat, or a boast. The intent is not to intimidate Setsurou, or posture like an animal. Rather, it serves only to illustrate the pitiless nature of the sands.

"I am glad if you truly can appreciate the beauty. Hueco Mundo is a harsh land indeed, and many Hollows are little more than unthinking monsters...but there is a deep, if unconventional, beauty in this realm, one that few are capable of seeing."

Jehoel looks at the nearby buildings when Setsurou mentions the district's silence.

"No. The process is silent, however, and delicate. Most of the city's denizens only visit this district once. Those who have duties here do not interact; only one is needed in any given location, and there is no overlap of responsibilities."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

Setsurou shrugged.

"As far as carrying one's legacy forward, it feels much the same. The lack of sexual reproduction basically only interferes as far as the relationship aspect of things goes. The survival instinct is ultimately about leaving one's mark in the world, and when you can afford to live for millennia, let's just say that even SHOULD you be able to reproduce sexually, the impact would probably be minimal.

Have you considered researching that? A means to breed the traits of Hollows, I mean."

As Jehoel explains the situation of an usual Hollow group, he ponders aloud, "It's not like there's reason to be territorial, either. In nature, such a behavior is meant to improve the survival of one's species based on the presence of a predator, food and so on. That is a behavior predicated on the notion of breeding and protecting one's young, however. With no young to care for, it's no surprise such groups of Hollows wander."

Setsurou also doesn't seem surprised to hear about how Las Noches isn't the first of its kind as a city.

"Normally I would point out how bellicose and aggressive such a behavior seems to be, but it's not like we Shinigami are much different. We used to have our own forms of strife until someone came along and decided to cut such silliness short. We had more important things to worry about. Like you."

By which he means Hollows in general.

"The two of our kinds have been at war for generations upon generations. Entire civilizations have risen and fallen within that time in the mortal world. There is... a lot of resentment between our two species. No love lost or gained.

But while war benefits neither one of us, we need an outlet for such resentment and violence. If nothing else, we need a means to gradually diminish hostilities. There are a number of people within our ranks that would outright revolt at the idea of our acceptance of your offer of peace."

Setsurou didn't see any reason to beat around the bush. Jehoel already knew this, so it wasn't like he gained anything by trying to pretend otherwise. Even if he didn't, it was easy enough to imply.

"Tell me, Primera Espada. How do you feel about a wager?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

[Far in the Past - Soul Society]

Spoiler
    Show
    A messy-haired young woman sits in a clearing. Today was much like the others. But it was peaceful. Venture out from home, into the forests, near the edge of civilization, but not too close. It was too noisy.

In front of her crossed legs is a scroll of paper, an ink well is nearby, a brush docked inside. The scroll is empty. On days such as this, beautiful without a cloud above, Momoka liked to sit in a clearing and write haiku.

It was something to do. But for now, she was stuck. Idly, she pulls out an apple and chews on it.

"Hmmm... What have I not done. Such a difficult question."
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Monastery of the Ho-ou

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Shinigami really don't care do they? Man's just a number to this fella.

Katashi recounts the last day. Normal morning, common afternoon, woke up, had a bath, kissed wife, doted on child, went to work, came back. Had dinner with the neighbours. Felt a horrible spiritual pressure. House was invaded by a madman with his helldogs. Neighbours were killed. Fled with family while district went to hell, got pounded into the ground by some inbred man-monster. Fainted. Woke up here.

Where Katashi's report fails, the report of the shinigami who rescued his family picks up. An unseated member of the pack fought a strange hollow to a standstill, no hollow hole visible, but the thing's carapace was very much hollow bone. No face, no speech, just some low growls and the odd chittering in the nearby area, possibly form smaller hollows nearby, he did not see them. The thing fled when it was clear he would win the fight.

District 49 is pretty damn big, and he could hear the screams all over it, way too much for the few stationed shinigami to handle, whatever it was. He sent for the guards of the adjacent districts to put the borders into lockdown and be on the lookout.
    Of course the man (?) in the lab coat does not care. He is an artificial soul, made for repetitive laboratory work. "Caring" is not part of his programming. Listening, recording and transmitting, however, are. It won't be long before Leaf has condensed Katashi's story, along with many others with similar fate, to a single report.

To most Shinigami, the reasons for this sudden outbreak are opaque. They probably think it is a matter of Jehoel and his lot betraying their promise. However, the Commander-General doesn't take long to connect the dots. It's obvious Izanami AKA Death AKA Sally Sparrow has breached into the containment facility in those parts, and let out whatever was in there. Upon viewing the reports, Zheng Li Lin will announce quarantine for District 49 and order all of these Hollow-like creatures captured when possible, and destroyed if not.

A lot of Chinese curses will likely be recited while wondering why exactly Mrs. Death did not see fit to close the damn door.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    A messy-haired young woman sits in a clearing. Today was much like the others. But it was peaceful. Venture out from home, into the forests, near the edge of civilization, but not too close. It was too noisy.

In front of her crossed legs is a scroll of paper, an ink well is nearby, a brush docked inside. The scroll is empty. On days such as this, beautiful without a cloud above, Momoka liked to sit in a clearing and write haiku.

It was something to do. But for now, she was stuck. Idly, she pulls out an apple and chews on it.

"Hmmm... What have I not done. Such a difficult question."
    The sound of a flute might disturb her thoughts, coming from not too far away.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Momoka looks up in slight surprise. Usually, interruptions were a rowdy Rukon citizen or the like. She never particularly enjoyed that, and usually made back for home in such an occasion. But a flute?

She looks to the source for a moment before rolling up the scroll, and sealing her ink bottle, wiping the ink off on her (already quite stained) apron, putting the various implements on pockets therein.

With that, she makes for the source of the music cautiously.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Momoka looks up in slight surprise. Usually, interruptions were a rowdy Rukon citizen or the like. She never particularly enjoyed that, and usually made back for home in such an occasion. But a flute?

She looks to the source for a moment before rolling up the scroll, and sealing her ink bottle, wiping the ink off on her (already quite stained) apron, putting the various implements on pockets therein.

With that, she makes for the source of the music cautiously.
    It doesn't take too long for her to find the source.

It's a Shinigami. On a tree.

Why is there a Shinigami on a tree?

One thing's hard to argue with though. He's a pretty good flutist. It's a nice, if slightly melancholic melody.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

((Was going to use spoilers to not confuse the fact, but screw it! ))

Momoka looks up with a slightly bemused smirk, but says nothing to interrupt the performance. Sitting against the tree, she just enjoys it for now, closing her eyes for a precious few moments.

When he finishes, her eyes open, however, and she looks back up, still smirking. "You're quite a ways from your grounds, shinigami. Might I ask what brings you into these woods? Perhaps you too wish for solitude, in which case I apologize for the intrusion, but it is not often I see your kind this far out, let alone one so striking with musical talent."

That shinigami might notice a spark in the young girl at the foot of the tree, if he is so inclined to examine her for such.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-04 at 01:45 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

19. - Top - End - #379

Spoiler
    Show
    Setsurou shrugged.

"As far as carrying one's legacy forward, it feels much the same. The lack of sexual reproduction basically only interferes as far as the relationship aspect of things goes. The survival instinct is ultimately about leaving one's mark in the world, and when you can afford to live for millennia, let's just say that even SHOULD you be able to reproduce sexually, the impact would probably be minimal.

Have you considered researching that? A means to breed the traits of Hollows, I mean."

As Jehoel explains the situation of an usual Hollow group, he ponders aloud, "It's not like there's reason to be territorial, either. In nature, such a behavior is meant to improve the survival of one's species based on the presence of a predator, food and so on. That is a behavior predicated on the notion of breeding and protecting one's young, however. With no young to care for, it's no surprise such groups of Hollows wander."

Setsurou also doesn't seem surprised to hear about how Las Noches isn't the first of its kind as a city.

"Normally I would point out how bellicose and aggressive such a behavior seems to be, but it's not like we Shinigami are much different. We used to have our own forms of strife until someone came along and decided to cut such silliness short. We had more important things to worry about. Like you."

By which he means Hollows in general.

"The two of our kinds have been at war for generations upon generations. Entire civilizations have risen and fallen within that time in the mortal world. There is... a lot of resentment between our two species. No love lost or gained.

But while war benefits neither one of us, we need an outlet for such resentment and violence. If nothing else, we need a means to gradually diminish hostilities. There are a number of people within our ranks that would outright revolt at the idea of our acceptance of your offer of peace."

Setsurou didn't see any reason to beat around the bush. Jehoel already knew this, so it wasn't like he gained anything by trying to pretend otherwise. Even if he didn't, it was easy enough to imply.

"Tell me, Primera Espada. How do you feel about a wager?"
    [Las Noches]
    District 10

"My quibble was in the inherent biological aspects of Darwin's theory. In functional or philosophical terms, it is identical."

Jehoel brushes the issue aside.

"As for breeding, basic Hollows lack genitalia, barring a few...unpleasant exceptions. Which, with all known precedent, still cannot produce offspring. As for the Arrancar...it's hard to say."

For what reason, he does not elaborate on without prompting.

"I think you are overestimating the logic that drives many Hollows. We are, after all, twisted reflections of humans and animals, at least at first. True Hollows have risen above such banality, but many live in unthinking imitation of their mortal lives and behaviors. Many individuals stake out territories; the ones that form groups are simply smarter, most of the time."

Another gate, another district. This one is very much unlike the previous one; dozens of Hollows move between a variety of oddly shaped buildings, each one different in shape from the last. The buzz of conversation fills the air.

"District 9, Science."

Jehoel pauses as a pair of Arrancar carrying heavy slabs of Sekkiseki cut in front of the group.

"In Hueco Mundo, the so-called 'law of the jungle' is the only regulation that exists. If Las Noches is to shape the future, all opposition must be crushed. If Hollows do not wish to join us, they may hide. Openly establishing a kingdom, however? That is a direct challenge to our authority. Attempts at diplomacy would be drawn out, bloody, and futile. We have more important things to worry about. Like you."

By which he means Setsurou Shinigami as a whole.

"You speak of these revolts as if they are a hypothetical future."

The vaguest hint of irritation is allowed to slip through Jehoel's shroud of calm as he says this. Setsurou can easily tell that Jehoel could have restrained himself had he wanted to.

"As you say, there is great hatred on both sides. Worse, it is entirely justified. You hunt us down solely for following our nature. Our nature is one of malice, to kill and consume without regard for balance or restraint. We acted as we had to, and you responded appropriately. Now, however, we possess the ability to rise above nature and choose our future. And I have a few ideas about how to reduce hostilities."

Jehoel's eyes narrow and a vague half-smile creeps onto his face at Setsurou's mention of a bet.

"That depends entirely on how interesting your wager is."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Orc in the Playground

((Was going to use spoilers to not confuse the fact, but screw it! ))

Momoka looks up with a slightly bemused smirk, but says nothing to interrupt the performance. Sitting against the tree, she just enjoys it for now, closing her eyes for a precious few moments.

When he finishes, her eyes open, however, and she looks back up, still smirking. "You're quite a ways from your grounds, shinigami. Might I ask what brings you into these woods? Perhaps you too wish for solitude, in which case I apologize for the intrusion, but it is not often I see your kind this far out, let alone one so striking with musical talent."

That shinigami might notice a spark in the young girl at the foot of the tree, if he is so inclined to examine her for such.
    Looking down, the Shinigami's expression widened slightly in surprise.

"Oh my, I wasn't expecting an audience. How embarassing!"

Momoka can tell he's being playful, however, and actually appreciates her assessment.

"What I sought was a quiet place to think and practice. These woods are perfect for that. The animals tend to be quite polite in that regard."

He tipped his hat (this time, a bowler's hat) in Momoka's direction as she notes his musical talent.

"You flatter me. I practice because I find myself bereft of talent. I'm Setsurou, by the way."

---------------------------------------------

[Las Noches, the Tour]

"I don't particularly see how that is an impediment. That is why research would be required, no?"

But he doesn't prompt the topic further.

"Perhaps. I must admit that the behavioral aspects of Hollows as a whole is not something I am more than passingly familiar with."

This district genuinely seems to pique Setsurou's interest. Hollow researchers! Now that was quite the rare treat.

"Oh, this is a gem. How did you get this district organized so quickly? One would think that Hollows would seldom have the time or inclination for research."

Particularly beyond the scope of what a single individual can observe, anyway.

"I think I'll take that as a compliment. Honestly, I would rather the level of cooperation you propose had been reached centuries ago. We could have gotten so much further in that time. So many would have not had to die.

Yet here we are."

Jehoel's irritation doesn't get a rise out of Setsurou, but why that is remains unclear. The Shinigami isn't about to give his conversational partner a hint.

"They wouldn't have been the first and certainly won't be the last. Seireitei has long had mechanisms and protocols for dealing with such issues. We like to avoid them, of course, but sometimes there's a call for discipline that some in our numbers are much too happy to carry out.

They have their reasons. Unfortunately, those reasons are not guided by what one might consider the best reasoning. We can't afford mutiny based on flawed logic, just as you cannot abide the formation of a kingdom other than this city."

Setsurou couldn't help but smirk back himself.

"Bloodless competition."

The shinigami soon elaborated.

"A fighting tournament. I have a draft of the rules with me. The short and sweet of it is - we do not allow killing. Representatives chosen by Soul Society and Las Noches will fight, round after round, until one side emerges victorious.

If you win, we will accept your terms. No questions asked.

If we win, we get to propose an amendment to your offer. And we establish that no Hollow under Las Noches is to harm a Shinigami, and vice-versa - provided they are not doing something counter to the interests of either group, in which case they are to be apprehended and brought up for mutual trial. Under such a system, Yasunobu Sawada would have been one of the first for us to judge. Posthumously anyway."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Soul Society]
    Monastery of the Ho-ou

Of course the man (?) in the lab coat does not care. He is an artificial soul, made for repetitive laboratory work. "Caring" is not part of his programming. Listening, recording and transmitting, however, are. It won't be long before Leaf has condensed Katashi's story, along with many others with similar fate, to a single report.

To most Shinigami, the reasons for this sudden outbreak are opaque. They probably think it is a matter of Jehoel and his lot betraying their promise. However, the Commander-General doesn't take long to connect the dots. It's obvious Izanami AKA Death AKA Sally Sparrow has breached into the containment facility in those parts, and let out whatever was in there. Upon viewing the reports, Zheng Li Lin will announce quarantine for District 49 and order all of these Hollow-like creatures captured when possible, and destroyed if not.

A lot of Chinese curses will likely be recited while wondering why exactly Mrs. Death did not see fit to close the damn door.
    Well. The common man can't be expected to know that! It also creates some horrible PR.

Reports from other survivors are much similar. Night fell, a horrible surge of reiatsu, followed by white skeletal monsters and mad people running rampant. Madness, horror, chaos.

One shinigami reports that upon purification, the hollow simply vanished and an unconscious plus was left behind in its place, most unusual for anyone not familiar with drones, which is pretty much nobody.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #382

Spoiler
    Show
    [Las Noches, the Tour]

"I don't particularly see how that is an impediment. That is why research would be required, no?"

But he doesn't prompt the topic further.

"Perhaps. I must admit that the behavioral aspects of Hollows as a whole is not something I am more than passingly familiar with."

This district genuinely seems to pique Setsurou's interest. Hollow researchers! Now that was quite the rare treat.

"Oh, this is a gem. How did you get this district organized so quickly? One would think that Hollows would seldom have the time or inclination for research."

Particularly beyond the scope of what a single individual can observe, anyway.

"I think I'll take that as a compliment. Honestly, I would rather the level of cooperation you propose had been reached centuries ago. We could have gotten so much further in that time. So many would have not had to die.

Yet here we are."

Jehoel's irritation doesn't get a rise out of Setsurou, but why that is remains unclear. The Shinigami isn't about to give his conversational partner a hint.

"They wouldn't have been the first and certainly won't be the last. Seireitei has long had mechanisms and protocols for dealing with such issues. We like to avoid them, of course, but sometimes there's a call for discipline that some in our numbers are much too happy to carry out.

They have their reasons. Unfortunately, those reasons are not guided by what one might consider the best reasoning. We can't afford mutiny based on flawed logic, just as you cannot abide the formation of a kingdom other than this city."

Setsurou couldn't help but smirk back himself.

"Bloodless competition."

The shinigami soon elaborated.

"A fighting tournament. I have a draft of the rules with me. The short and sweet of it is - we do not allow killing. Representatives chosen by Soul Society and Las Noches will fight, round after round, until one side emerges victorious.

If you win, we will accept your terms. No questions asked.

If we win, we get to propose an amendment to your offer. And we establish that no Hollow under Las Noches is to harm a Shinigami, and vice-versa - provided they are not doing something counter to the interests of either group, in which case they are to be apprehended and brought up for mutual trial. Under such a system, Yasunobu Sawada would have been one of the first for us to judge. Posthumously anyway."
    [Las Noches]
    District 9

"I will explain better once we have moved further into the city."

Continuing to be enigmatic, Jehoel drops that thread of conversation.

"The district wasn't organized quickly. It took almost a decade after the city was first founded to organize it into its current level of functionality. Since then, it has grown and expanded. And while there are few Hollows with the proper inclinations, essentially all of them have flocked to this city. It is, after all, very difficult to otherwise vent such desires."

Jehoel doesn't look at Setsurou as he mentions the possibility of further mutinies on the Shinigami side.

"In the future, I'd prefer it if the Shinigami dealt with these individuals. Regardless of their reasons or reasoning, it will continue to build bad blood on both sides."

Another gate. Another district. This district is far more open than any of the previous ones; rather than constant streets or buildings, the most prominent structure is a series of corrals spreading off into the distance in both directions. A small number of large buildings dot the landscape as well, and clusters of smaller ones can be seen off in the distance.

"District 8. Farming and cuisine."

As Setsurou proposes his plan to Jehoel, the Hollow looks at him for several seconds, then considers for several more.

"I have to admit, I'm impressed. This bet of yours is simultaneously completely unexpected...and boring."

That wasn't very polite.

"Regardless of my personal opinions on the matter, however, I find this plan flawed for a variety of reasons. First, it encourages further antagonism between the Shinigami and the Hollows, and formally endorses the thought of our two organizations as enemies. Which they are, but there is a chance that that can be changed."

He pauses for a moment before continuing, perhaps allowing his point to register.

"Second, there is significant disparity in strength in our forces. Even if we limit the tournament to the upper leadership of each organization, the tournament would ultimately come down to myself against 'Sally.' Exclude us, and there are still problems. Shinigami are far better suited to nonlethal combat than Arrancar. Our powers are vicious, deadly, and difficult to control. I have an extremely tight reign on my power, as I'm sure you've noticed, and even I cannot fully control my Resurrección. Let alone someone Kyoki, the Cuatro. In their duel, she killed her predecessor by accident. Conversely, Shinigami have Bakudo, and many Zanpakuto lend themselves well to forcing restraint and submission. This makes the Shinigami more likely to win, and less likely to cause a political incident."

Another pause.

"Third, it ensures that there will be long-term resentment against the winners regardless of the outcome. If we win, many Shinigami will see the Seireitei as being strong-armed into the pact. If you win, the Espada would face a revolt; signs of weakness are not tolerated in Hueco Mundo. It would be put down, but it would further inhibit our internal unity and the chances of a successful formation of peace with the Shinigami. Forcing a side to accept terms without their direct consent simply makes it that much more likely that these terms will fall apart in time."

Jehoel halts and fixes Setsurou with a very direct stare.

"If we truly wish to try and make peace a reality, we need to stop looking at each other as enemies. That will be almost impossible at first, but it is a necessary step."

Jehoel turns away and resumes walking.

"Arianna, was it? You have been nearly silent. Do you have nothing to say?"

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

Looking down, the Shinigami's expression widened slightly in surprise.

"Oh my, I wasn't expecting an audience. How embarassing!"

Momoka can tell he's being playful, however, and actually appreciates her assessment.

"What I sought was a quiet place to think and practice. These woods are perfect for that. The animals tend to be quite polite in that regard."

He tipped his hat (this time, a bowler's hat) in Momoka's direction as she notes his musical talent.

"You flatter me. I practice because I find myself bereft of talent. I'm Setsurou, by the way."
    "Kobayashi. That you might learn my given one day is a possibility, but I hope you will understand and respect that trust is a valuable resource this far from the walls, not something to be squandered lightly." Momoka has no malice in her words, she speaks only matter-of-factly.

"If I might be so bold, however, you have practiced, but what does a favored son of the Seireitei have to think about, that he should require privacy and solitude?" If Setsurou doesn't climb down to ground level, Momoka lithely clambers up to an opposite bow, dangling her legs off the edge and still smirking at her fellow in isolation.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-04 at 12:31 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

"What is there not to think about? The constant struggles, deaths, the loveliness of waking up each day to possibly end it at the jaws of some acid-spewing monstrosity.

Oh, and music. Gotta think about music."

His tone is quite ironic, really.

"But mostly, being a 'favored son of Seireitei' isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you need to get away from it all, you know? Lots of people, lots of bother! So I come here."

He doesn't climb down, but for some reason he knew she'd climb up.

"And I don't take any offense at that. I gave you my given name rather than my family name for much the same reason. A little quaint, however, to find a little grove inside a little grove.*"

Spoiler
    Show
    *One of the possible readings for Kobayashi is 'little grove' or 'small forest'.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep! I have a name site for these things.

Momoka chuckles at the joke. "Consider it one of life's jokes."

"I imagine being a favored son or daughter of any cause is a difficult thing to live with. I spoke mostly in jest." She pulls her partially eaten apple, wrapped in cloth, from a pocket of her apron, and tosses another one to Setsurou.

"Despite this being a manner of 'heaven', it seems we are not without cares. Being this far out has been a struggle for me, finding food was a challenge until I learned to grow my own."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh! Thank you."

Setsurou took a bite out of the apple, chewing it slowly, savoring it and gulping down before he continued.

"Oh, it's not so bad. Think of how boring it would be if you never really had to care for, well, anything.

Kinda curious you'd be hungry, though. That normally doesn't happen after someone dies."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Momoka chuckles. "I'm aware of the rumors. Hunger means you have spiritual potential, which means you may become a shinigami."

"But it is no more a solution to life's, or rather, the afterlife's, problems than any. I would be of no use to their ranks, I am not one who commonly enjoys the company of others. True, complete solitude is neither possible nor wise, but going fully back into society..." She runs a hand through her hair with a sigh.

"It's simply not something I am able to do."
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-04 at 02:03 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

"Big difference between able and willing, methinks." Chomp. Munch munch. Gulp.

"I couldn't for the life of me imagine myself as a Shinigami either when I was young. And yet here I am.

Lots of loners in the ranks. Pretty sure you could find a place to fit right in - we aren't all soldiers, you know?"

Setsurou continued to savor the apple.

"And for one who enjoys being by her lonesome you sure were quick to greet me. Feels a lot like you've only convinced yourself you're better off alone."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389

Las Noches
    District 8

Arianna had been listening carefully to the conversation as she followed Jehoel and Setsurou through the city, taking in all of the sights that she could. She knew that Washi no Tsume was watching everything as well. Which would make reviewing all of this later much easier.

When Jehoel addresses her, Arianna turns her golden eyes to him and considers it for a moment before answering.

At the moment, I do not. Setsurou was the one chosen to be the diplomat here, not myself. And so far, anything I have thought of, he has said or asked first, and more.

Her tone is polite.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

"Big difference between able and willing, methinks." Chomp. Munch munch. Gulp.

"I couldn't for the life of me imagine myself as a Shinigami either when I was young. And yet here I am.

Lots of loners in the ranks. Pretty sure you could find a place to fit right in - we aren't all soldiers, you know?"

Setsurou continued to savor the apple.

"And for one who enjoys being by her lonesome you sure were quick to greet me. Feels a lot like you've only convinced yourself you're better off alone."
    "There is a difference between a solitary man in a forest and the rest of the world." Momoka looks up to the clear sky. "If you're the outlier, it is only so long before people stop tolerating you."

"I would be a fool to say I can exist entirely without interaction, we are a social species. But society as a whole... It is not somewhere I can stay."

"...Why did you become a shinigami, if you did not wish for it?"
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2013-08-04 at 10:22 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!