New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ashes of Aequaria IC

The rain intensifies, the thunder rumbles, and the footsteps grow closer.

Sergeant Takolan hasn't moved. He sits in his saddle, as though he were waiting for something.

Serra is still trying to shift the trunk...

Cass has run back to the cart, and is unhooking the mules - Gai is trying to stop her. The two of them have to shout over the noise to be heard...snatches of their conversation come through.

'GET THE...SHIFT THE...'.

'TO LATE FOR...TURN BACK...'.

Lisandra hands over Burke's horse to Ursuul. The girl looks petrified.

Burke has stopped trying to find a way to move the tree and is looking to get armed. He's retrieved his pike and is taking a guard.

Corporal Sturbish appears to agree with Ursuul. She's saying something, but Ursuul can't quite catch it... she spurs her horse into the forest, apparently to bring it around so that she can tie it to the tree.

<thud>

<thud>

<thud>

<thud>
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul wastes no time moving the horse around the tree before lashing the rope around its saddle and the tree. The increasing noise of the creature approaching spurring him to move with haste.

(1d20+2)[10]

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul successfully secures the horse in place.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Curling up in the bed of the cart, trembling just like the rabbit she's holding, Tali's crying intensifies until something in her mind snaps in her mind and she stands up, arm outstretched towards where the tree trunk is stuck against the other tree, a greeny/yellow glow appearing around her fingers.
    Her eyes focus and she lets out a high pitched scream, "MOVE YOU STUPID TREE! I WANT TO GET AWAY!!!" Her voice carrying above the sound of the storm.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Grease on the tree trunk in hopes it might help the others to dislodge it.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

The tree and the surrounding area are slicked with a slippery grease. Burke, Serra, Ursuul, Beigette and the horse that Ursuul has tied to the tree are caught in the the area.

Burke barely seems to notice, Serra skids, but holds her balance.

There is a frantic whinny from the horse tied to the tree, as it slips on the grease and falls forward onto its knees. The animal seems shocked, but unhurt.

Grease
    Spoiler
    Show
    To get to the tree you must now enter the area of the grease spell.

A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).

<thump>

<thump>

<thump>
    <thump>
    <thump>

Whatever it is is getting very close.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-11-25 at 04:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble slipped away from the group, using Slobber's speed to approach the sound from the side. He figured if it was a giant, he would be too small to notice, but he might actually be able to scout out a bit ... rather than sitting around watching the others push a tree. Nobody seemed to understand that the tree might be part of a trap set by whatever was making all the racket.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving quickly through the trees, using them as cover, to go get eyes on the Thumper ... I'll let you know what thumble plans to do, assuming he sees whatever it is and doesn't get eaten immediately.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Serra's voice rings in Thumble's ears as he disappears into the forest.

'Don't leave us here to die! You filthy coward!'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe if Serra was spending more time trying to move the tree trunk instead of watching the gnome on the dog ...

Thumble called back, "I won't!" Shaking his head, he focused on the task at hand. "Silly big people, always name-calling ..."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

@Starbin
    Spoiler
    Show
    See OC post... basically survival check, or search check, your choice, DC 10, two attempts.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

@ Wordplay
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, let's go survival then. Not sure if Slobber can aid me with his scent, but here's Thumble's straight rolls
    1 - [roll1d20+8[/roll], 2 - (1d20+8)[14]. Slobber has a +1 for sight, +5 for tracking by scent

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry for the double post (dang fat fingers!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+8)[24]

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a clash of thunder.

Then everyone can hear a distant animal sound. It's low, and eiree, and easily heard above the storm. It's like a piteous moan, or the lowing of an ox the size of a house.

After it stops, everyone is still for a moment. Then they're all business. Corporal Sturbish hustles her horse into position, and calls for rope to tie it on.

Burke is pushing desperately at the tree.

Cass waits for a moment, makes for the tree, then stops, and tries to hook the mule back up to the cart. Gai helps her, and the two work feverishly.

Serra pelts back to the cart, throws herself over the side, and grasps Tali's hands tightly, before the girl can pull them away.

She looks into Tali's eyes, her own eyes burning with a great intensity.

'Don't worry. I won't let it hurt you. Understand? I won't let it take you!'

The soldier then hugs Tali fiercely, and scrabble for her crossbow.

Lisandra lets out a terrible scream.

For Thumble
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woods close around Thumble. Large drops of rain spatter the gnome as they fall from the trees, which creak as they shake in the wind.

It's dim, but Thumble can find his way in the low light. Slobber seems to understand what Thumble seeks, and with a happy yip heads towards something...following its scent on the air.

Slobber is quiet now, padding gently, and a little cautiously through the twisty paths between the trees. Now Thumble feels rather than hears the creature, as they draw close. Slobber slows to a crawl.

First Thumble catches the smell...earthy - like clay mixed with stale sweat.

Then what Thumble had taken for a shadow, or a tree, moves and rises. The gnome cranes his neck, as he gazes up at the towering, man-like figure.

Shaped like a man, but tall as a young pine, easily twenty foot, the giant brings its foot crashing down, as it walks deliberately towards the clearing.

It's hair hangs down to its great shoulders, and a thick black beard covers its face. A donkey, or maybe a mule is slung over its shoulder. The beast is alive, and seems terrified.

The giant wears a crude garment made from the hides of many beasts, sown together roughly. Thumble would describe it as a smock. A grey and white cloak, the colour of undyed sheep's wool, billows out like a sail behind the great manshaped beast.

The creature is looking up at the sky, fearfully, and hunched over. It almost seems to cower.

A crash of thunder.

The giant wails, a loud and low moan, like the lowing of an ox the size of a house. It seems to bend lower uncomfortable, and quicken its pace.

Thumble is still mounted, and Slobber is crouched low. They are peaking out at the giant from behind a tree. They see the giant from its left hand side. They are perpendicular to its direction of travel. It is walking quickly, with long strides. It should pass well clear of Thumble in a moment or so, if Thumble does nothing.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-11-27 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul stops work for a moment at the noise. He begins to curse fluently and loudly in the tongue of Orcs. His efforts to secure horses to the tree are doubly redoubled.

C'mon people! Damn things almost on us! Either get to pushin' or get to running!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul and Corporal Sturbish manage to get her horse in position. The Corporal attempts to secure the horse to the tree, but seems to be struggling.

The horse that Ursuul had already secured manages to regain its footing.

The grease vanishes.

Spoiler
    Show
    DC on use rope check returns to 10
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

@ Wordplay
    Spoiler: Thumble's Actions
    Show
    Thumble shivered in fright at the enormity of the figure before him. He rubbed Slobber's ears nervously, more to settle his own nerves than his own. But when he saw how the creature was acting, frightened more than menacing, it served to calm him more than anything else. If he knew he spoke the creature's tongue, he might have tried to help it. But given the donkey over its shoulder, Thumble feared he might end up as another treat in the sack!

Instead, Thumble tried another gambit. Using his innate talents for magic, Thumble called for a bright flash of light, as if lightning had just struck, and created a sound like thunder as well. Hopefully, it would drive the giant being away from the cart and the rest of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Prestidigitation and Ghost Sound to force the giant on a different path, if possible

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

The thumping stops.

Cass and Gai have got the mules hitched up to the wagon again, and they're ready to move it quickly... but apparently they fear running into danger if they move now...

Lisandra is mounted on her horse, and Burke has his halberd at the ready. All the soldiers are looking around constantly, wide eyed, checking the forest as though they expect.

Serra sits in the wagon, and folds Tali into a tight embrace, whilst holding her cocked crossbow in the other hand.

Takolan looks a little consterned, but otherwise makes no move from his horse.

Sturbish is struggling to knot the rope.

'There, whatever it was, the gnome killed it'.

Her tone is flippant.

'NOW WILL SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS BLASTED ROPE'.

For Thumble
    Spoiler
    Show
    The great figure stops, and cowers for a moment. It waits, for a little bit, ducking down. Then it begins moving again, shifting its direction slightly.

Thumble would guess that rather than heading straight through the group, the giant would now break from the forest further down the road, but still within sight of the group.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble hurried back to join the others. Finding them standing around, Thumble approached the ones near the cart. "Hurry! The giant will pass nearby, but if we are quick about it, we may avoid trouble! He'll come by that area there,", the gnome pointed to where he thought the giant would come through, "but if everyone is quiet, we should be able to avoid trouble. It's afraid of the lightning, but might find courage in this much dinner!"

Spoiler
    Show
    That should keep us out of trouble ... until someone sees his donkey on the thing's shoulder!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

'Mmm...excellent advice'. says Sergeant Takolan.

The thudding has started again. Everyone feels it, rather than hears it. The ground shakes, and the treetops nearby shake against the wind, as if someone were pushing through them.

Then the giant emerges onto the road, about 100 yards ahead of the group, and past the blocked tree. The creature is shaped like a man, but tall as a young pine, easily twenty foot.

It's hair hangs down to its great shoulders, and a thick black beard covers its face. A donkey, or maybe a mule, is slung over its shoulder. The beast is alive, and seems terrified.

The giant wears a crude smock made from the hides of many beasts, sown together roughly. A grey and white cloak, the colour of undyed sheep's wool, billows out like a sail behind the great manshaped beast.

The creature is looking up at the sky, fearfully, and hunched over. It almost seems to cower.

It bellows, a great low moan. All the party can feel the vibration of it in their chests.

The next moment it is gone, disappearing into the woods the other side of the road....but it hasn't gone far, you can still hear it, and see it disturbing the trees.

In the moment that everyone caught sight of the giant, they remember a brief glance of its face. Its great eyes bulged above its beard, but it seemed almost...fearful?

For Ursuul.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Difficult to tell at this distance, but you think that that's probably one of your mules...you couldn't say for certain though...Spot DC15 if you wish for more info.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

The thudding gradually fades away.

'So it looks like the rumours were true...interesting'. murmurs Takolan.

Corporal Sturbish claps a hand on Ursuul's shoulder. 'Glad ya saw sense, ma friend, and left well enough alone. Now let's see if we can't get this log moved'.

Under Corporal Sturbish's direction her mounted infantry finish roping up her horse, then hook up Lisandra's horse to the log.

Meanwhile Cass and Serra clear some of the snagged branches with their swords.

With the three horses pulling and the mounted infantry pushing, they easily clear the road.

Cass and Serra mount the cart, and the infantry saddle up...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble let out breath, not even realizing he'd been holding it in. Nudging Slobber, he moved up to the wagon and nodded to Serra. "I told ya I wasn't running away. Now can we please get out of here?"

Thumble is anxious to get out of this section of woods. It was a little too dangerous for his tastes, and while this group seemed to attract trouble like a tall tree attracted lightning, they seemed capable enough to provide some protection.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Beigette is entirely uninterested in any rumors, legends, folklore or similar related to the giant. In fact, she doesn't even care about the thing. Sure, it was an odd sight, even for her - beings of that size weren't exactly everyday finds in Sigil - but the rain, lightning and stress from fighting had changed her attitude. She was peaceful in a very Live, let live and get the neu-verdam'd infinite Efs out of my way sort of fashion. The giant left, so she stopped worrying about how to get away from it, and the fact that it was afraid and carrying some junk was about as important to her as its sock collection. Which was of no importance to her.

As the others come back into movement as the giant disappears and begin to haul the log out of the way (Finally!), Beigette adds her own strength to theirs, displaying her Superior Sigil Pushing Techniques. Which weren't really techniques. Unless 'Shove it harder' counted. As the small one, the dog-rider, mentions leaving, Beigette nods.

"Yeah, unless this KF* of yours is on fire or something similar, I am entirely in favor of going there. More distractions are not what we need. Those spear-throwing barkbutts can go swim muddy, I'm out of flying effs to give," she says.

*Pronounced as an acronym would be.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul whipes rain water from his face and a fair mess of hair with it after the log clears. He is a bit short of breath but not much worse for ware.

Sense enough not to trudge my exhausted ass into a fight with a kid. Adult one wouldna be afraid o thunder. Useless to fight it. Best to follow the dried tracks tomorra after some rest and a warm bed. Probly heads out round first light.

With that he begins to trudge through the muck that is the roadway.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

The group moves on in silence for a miserable couple of hours. The dirt road is turning to a thin mud. Everyone is cold, and a little subdued.

Gradually the thunder and lightning ease off, but the rain continues. Even those who are having trouble staying dry.

Eventually, the party round a corner. A small stone guardhouse stands to one side of the road, a short, fat built of rough grey stone. It barely reaches two storeys, but has only a few narrow windows. A single storey building with red tiles adjoins the towers, stretching out to one side.

The mounted infantry peel off.

'This is our stop. Burke, Lisandra, get in and see ta the horses'.

Corporal Sturbish snaps off a salute to Lena and Takolan.

'Ma'am. Sergeant. Been a pleasure. I hope whatever muck we stirred up doesn't stick ta any o' ya'.

Sturbish draws up beside Ursuul, and hands him a piece of paper, folded over.

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Hey, Ursuul. I'm sorry about ya beasts'.

'Here's a letter for ma pal Gus, as promised. He's the barman down at the sign o' the Blue Leopard. Says ya're a pal o' mine an' that ya appreciate a fine beer'.

The Corporal looks over her shoulder, back at the guardhouse.

'All bein' well, I should be in town in tomorrow afternoon - if ya around, I'll be takin' ma dinner down at the Blue Leopard - Ill show ya the town if ya like'.

'All bein' well, that is...'

'Wait, you're just leaving us?' asks Cass, incredulous.

'Ya're almost back ta town now, ya shouldn't have any trouble. Besides, I've got ta get the folks here ready. There's an off-chance them folks might hit the customs house, an' this place ain't exactly the Hidden City'.

The mounted infantry head into the guardhouse. A boy runs out with some cups and a flask. The rain quickly matts down his hair.

'If you please sirs, Corporal Sturbish said you might want a hot drink before you head back to town - it's mulled wine'.

The boy offers cups and flasks, filling the cups for any that want it with some mulled wine, steaming and sweet.

Takolan, Gai, Cass, and Serra gratefully take a cup each, and drink it. Takolan thanks the boy quietly.

Takolan passes his first cup to Beigette, then collects a second.

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    Takolan mutters to Beigette 'Here. It'll help keep you warm, 'til we get back to town at least. It's not far now'.

For Tali
    Spoiler
    Show
    Serra hands her cup to Tali.

'Here, try this. It'll warm you up'.

When the party finish, the boy takes the cups back inside.

The road winds downwards. About 20 minutes after leaving the customs house, the ground drops off sharply to the left, and the party can see the town of Forcehead laid out below them.

The town sits on a shelf-like plateau. The ground drops away sharply to the south, and a long valley lies below. The town is bounded to the east and west by sheer mountain cliffs.

The town seems to be arranged around two main roads. At the crossroads sits a large stone keep. There seems to be a stone wall securing the north-west corner of the town, with a few buildings that look like large houses outlying the wall. There's a large, open, green space immediately behind the wall. Many large buildings stand in expansive grounds around the keep.

A large round hill rises at the south-westernmost extreme of the town, with some stone walls on top.

A long road runs west-east, lined with many stout looking buildings. To the south of the west-east road lies another open green space. To the north lie several large fields, that look as though they're put aside for agriculture.

At the east end of the town, the buildings are smaller, and clustered together thickly... though its difficult to make out much of that side of the town from this vantage point. Below the east end of town, what looks like a series of terraces are visible.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Beigette smiles at Takolan as he hands her the cup of wine. "Thanks," she says, taking a deep breath of the wine's smell before she takes a sip, considering the taste briefly before she swallows it, enjoying the spreading warmth as it flows down to her stomach. "Once we arrive, I have another idea for keeping warm. Blankets are nice, but after this ordeal I have something more in mind," She adds with a sly smile before continuing with the wine, taking her time with drinking it until the others are all about finished, at which point she quickly finishes the last and passes her cup back. She was familiar with the warmth of it, but the smell and taste of this wine was different. Probably because it was 'Terial wine, rather than Sigil stuff. It even tasted differently from the supposedly Material Plane imported stuff, although they were probably different kinds.

As they continue, Beigette's silent for a minute or so at most, before she begins to make smalltalk - she asks about the weather, the climate, the region...all things that someone who had lived there for more than a few weeks or who had spent all their time working a field would know. Some things (like the kind of things one normally finds in the "park" and how often there's stormy weather) are asked directly at Tarkolan, but the rest aren't necessarily targeted at him. Beigette is clearly pleased whenever he responds to something she didn't ask him directly, though, and focuses entirely on him whenever he speaks.

Beigette raises her eyebrows as they reach Forcehead. It was far more thans he expected - the image of a few mud huts lining a river had only just been driven from her mind by the appearance of the actual town. The fortifications surprise her, as Sigil had no need for such things. Here, though...well, as she had seen, there was all kinds of fighting going on that they had to protect themselves from. Looking over the buildings, a thought comes to her mind and she turns to Takolan - she knows that the commander with the accent came from here, but she'd rather speak to him for more than one reason.

"There's a place for us to stay, right? An inn or t'n'b, or a planestel or whatever?" She asks first, openly, gesturing to herself and the others. Then, after his answer, Beigette approaches him, making it clear that her next question is within the bounds of a private conversation. "You stay out in the park a lot, but you have a place in town, don't you?" She avoids calling Forcehead a 'village' or 'hamlet', hoping to avoid offending him. That would be rather counterproductive...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-10 at 04:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul passes on the warmed wine as he slips the letter under the oil skin to keep it as dry as possible. While the others make small talk and relax, he moves to the cart and begins removing the spoils of their earlier skirmish. His hands sliding the tied bundles and bows down the shaft of his polearm.

The rather loud and boisterous man now silent as he concentrates on holding up the load for the long walk they have ahead of them. His breathing even as he does his best to keep the weight balanced in his arms.

The looted coin purses enough to replace his losses and then some, but knowing that the enemy's gear will fill his appetites makes him feel a bit better still. The thought of how many men he can rally with the coin to help him slay those who would steal from him gives warmth to his soaked through bones.

After a while the incessant talking begins to grate him, Look girlie towns always got places ta stay. Question being if ya like the price and terms. Pretty little lass always find a warmed bed, some sausage to fill her, and big helping of cream to wash t'all down. Gotta ask if the man's wife in da morn is worth it tha. Well is it na?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Beigette looks back at Ursuul, giving him a look that says 'really?' before looking back at him reminds her of something. "Oh, hey, I mismez'd the clink. You were gonna give me a share of the coins from the guys I shot," she says.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

When Beigette mentions a idea other than blankets for keeping warm, Takolan looks puzzled for an instant, and then his composure returns.

When Beigette starts up her small talk, Takolan is silent initially, but looks a little thoughtful. Then Beigette mentions the weather.

'Occasionally one comes over the mountains in the summer. The storms are common in the winter, but this storm is supposed to be a once in a lifetime thing'.

Takolan casts an eye up at the clouds.

'So I'm told. This is my first winter in Forcehead, and, Twelve willing, my last'.

Takolan is quiet for a while.

When they reach the overlook above Forcehead, Takolan's about to reply to Beigette's questions, when he's cut off by Ursuul.

Takolan's quiet for a bit as the group continues towards the town, then he speaks to Beigette quietly.

For Beigette, or on a DC 15 listen check.
    Spoiler
    Show
    'I don't actually have a house in Forcehead - I'm quartered in the barracks. I have a house in my hometown, but I spend most of my time out in the country'.

Takolan looks at Beigette again.

'But that wasn't really your question, was it?'

Serra turns to Tali.

'That's a point miss, have you got somewhere to stay? Someone to look after you? Or at least enough coin to get a decent place to stay?'

The group winds down the increasingly muddy road.

Ahead the group can see the road entering town. To the right of the road there is a stone wall, about two and a half storeys high...it seems tired and a little dilapidated. A couple of distant figures with halberds seem to be patrolling its length. To the right of the road is a somewhat newer looking wooden palisade. There's a low stone gatehouse over the road, no more than two storeys high.

At that point the wagon shudders, then there's a judder, as the temporary fix comes undone.

'Argh, well it was only a matter of time...at least it got us this far'. Gai seems ever upbeat.

The group picks up the contents of the wagon, and walks the last stretch into town.

There is a single guard on view, huddled under the gate, wearing an oil skin, and smoking a pipe. He's a middle aged man, somewhat portly, with thick black moustaches. He exchanges a nod with Takolan, but otherwise makes no move. He doesn't appear to pay any attention to anyone else.

The group passes out onto a cobbled street. There is an open green space to the right, beyond that stands the large stone keep.

Takolan makes to lead the group towards a courtyard to the side of the keep.

'The governor will be wanting a word with you all'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Response to Takolan
    Show
    "That's not quite true - it's more of a lead-up question, though," Beigette replies, smiling as the man recognizes that her question wasn't the core of what she wanted to speak about.

"What I am wonder is if you'd spend a night outside the barracks. Perhaps sharing a room with a recently-arrived traveler from Sigil," Beigette continues, looking at Takolan's eyes to see his response.

"The govern or? What's he do?" Beigette asks, clearly curious, but doesn't seem to have a problem with going off to speak with this man with the job she's never heard of.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    Takolan holds Beigette's gaze.

'Hmm'.

He smiles slightly.

'Well how about dinner to start with?'

Takolan shakes off some of the water.

'Let's talk later...'

When they reach the keep, it's Takolan who replies to Beigette's question.

'Pretends to govern'.

Gai chimes in.

'He's appointed by the first families to run the town. Around here, that would be the Moreats and the Foraks'.

'It's been a few months since I was last here...back then the governor was Ireas Strolm'.

'He governs still'.

Takolan speaks a word in Beigette's ear.

For Beigette, or on a DC 20 listen check.
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Listen, the first families control this land, and this man has a fair bit of pull with two of them. If you're going to survive here, you need the patronage of a family...but you don't necessarily want to throw in with his patrons yet'.

'Be polite, answer his questions, but maybe keep your cards close to your chest'.

'He himself is a decent man'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Takolan
    Show
    "That does sound nice. Maybe you can tell me more about what I need to know around these parts," Beigette replies, smiling at the idea. It had been a while since someone took her out to eat. It was surely different here in the Material Plane - she doubted they had poff restaurants, her favorite - but the thought of Takolan taking her to some local place before they got to know each other more closely was nice.

"I look forward to it. I don't think I'll be able to dress up fancy, but it sounds like fun," she says.

"Hmmm. So he's a shine-ruler? Not really doin' the work, just looking like he is and be the saclam if everything goes di'gul?"

As Takolan approaches her, Beigette seems curious and eagerly bends her ear towards him as he speaks, to catch every word.

Spoiler: Takolan
    Show
    "Hmmm. Sounds like a good topic for our dinner date," she muses after he finishes the bit about families. How odd these Material customs were...Beigette is glad that she's found some people who can explain these things to her. Of course, she's also aware that Takolan quite possibly has a family patron (patron family?) himself, and that what he tells her may be biased in their favor.

She could ask some of the others tomorrow. Preferably without him catching on, it wouldn't do good if he thought she didn't trust him.