New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ashes of Aequaria IC

Spoiler: Governor
    Show
    "I was planning on finding a place to stay in town, although...if those are the barracks, it may be convenient to stay there for a little while. I don't have much money from around here," Beigette considers it. "If I stay here I can avoid having to pay for a room and it'll be easier to speak with some of the others.

What kind of work do you mean? I'll need more money than I have now, in the long run, so it'd be a good idea to start earning soon,"
    Rather than just looting a few fallen soldiers before I find out that there's been a massacre and almost lose my lunch...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Thumble
    Show
    Ireas nods.

'This scout you're mentioning...could you describe them? No-one else reported seeing anything like that'.

Thumble thought for a moment, dredging up the memory. "He (I think it was a he) was taller than me ... about the size of Miss Beigette or Miss Tali. He was hooded, wearing clothes to blend into the trees. Bright blue eyes, but couldn't see anything else. Very quick on his feet, like a cat. Pulled his blade on us when we asked for help.

Saw him when we first found the fighting, but after he rabbited, we didn't see him again. But we're pretty sure he was watching ..."

At the offer of lodging, he shook his head with a blush at the last comment. "No thanks, m'lord. Thinkin' we're better off in town, but we're not looking for anything like that."

With the letter, Thumble stared at it for a moment. "Um ... who are the Ton-Vearrs family? And why would they want me to go?"

Spoiler
    Show
    PS - Not sure when we're supposed to get the letter from Lena ... after we leave?
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnomish lady smiles a little uncertainly at Ursuul. As Ursuul draws closer, he can see that she's middle aged, with a pleasant round face. She's a little plum, and a little tall for a gnome. Her voice is a little high and tinny, but not unpleasant.

'Blood and Bowl? Oh, no, you don't want to go there sonny. Terrible place to stay. Only reason to go there is if you're looking for a fight'.

'If you'll take my advice, try the Welcome Inn. It's a much better place to stay if you're short on coin. It's straight down the street and on your right'.

'If you still want to go to the Blood and Bowl, head down the street. Turn left after you pass the Golden Orb, and keep going until you see a stone tower on your left. It's opposite that'.

'If you'd like to buy something, we'd certainly appreciate that. We're having a sale at the moment. We're planning a family trip to the old country, you know, so we need to clear out the stock'.

'Why don't you come in?'

The gnomish lady holds open the door (which is human sized). A medicinal aroma floods out, with the smell of spice and herbs. Ursuul can see high shelves inside, lit by bright oil lamps, and a low counter.

Over in the Crown and Ivy, as Lena starts to sing the waiter she met at the door moves over to stop her. Before he can, a tall woman with curly brown hair and pointed ears, darts out from the door to the kitchen and stops him. As Lena pipes up, the diners briefly look irritated, but that quickly fades as Lena gets into the song. Lena can feel things are going well - she hits every note flawlessly, and without effort.

As Lena finishes there's a murmur of approval, and a round of applause. The tall woman comes over to speak to Lena. She's wearing a uniform very similar to the waiters. Her hair is tied back, and her olive skin is a little tight around her eyes. She looks like she has some elvish blood in her.

'Thank you, that seems to have gone down pretty well. We don't usually do music... but I wonder, would you be willing to sing a full round? We'd be willing to pay 3 gold for an hour'.

For Lena
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you accept the offer, make two more performance checks.

For Thumble
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Hmm... that's interesting. I'll take a note, and pass it to my agents for investigation'.

'It seems that there may be agents from an unknown power at work...'.

'Hmm...if you should ever find them again, let me know'.

When Thumble mentions wanting to get out, Ireas smiles.

'Ah, I quite understand. Well, as a thank you for your help bringing back our soldiers, please accept this as a small token of our gratitude. It should go some way to covering your living expenses'.

Ireas passes Thumble a pouch. It feels like it's filled with coins.

'As for the Ton-Vearrs? Prominent local family. Their affiliation is to Moreat. They were some of the first pioneers who established the town. All the local families are keen to have a Queian native at their parties - having you visit them first would be a major coup for them. Besides, plenty of families have daughters, and an eligible bachelor from out of the town, much less the province, is something of a rarity. If you can't attend, I would ask that you at least write them a letter'.

'Well, unless you have any questions, I think that that's all for now. Please keep the news of the giants, the convoy, and the attackers to yourself, however'.

If Thumble leaves, a page boy comes up to him.

'Excuse me sir? This was left for you'.

The boy hands Thumble a note. It's addressed to "Thumbles, Resourceful Gnomish Gentleman"

It reads: "Dear sir,

As with the Lady Beigette I must regret the place I have chosen, but I believe a certain discretion may be in order. Please, if you have no obligations tonight, meet me at the Crown and Ivy and maybe we can begin to make sense out of what happened this day.

Lena of Corvalla"

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ireas looks thoughtful.

'Well, I could certainly use some help from someone with no previous involvement in our politics'.

'What sort of thing would you feel comfortable doing, and what skills do you have?'

'I have one task you could get started on immediately, if you are willing. The garrison doesn't have a resident mage at present'.

'As you can appreciate, we have quite a bit of news to communicate at the moment'.

'I have a need of scrolls carrying the spell of sending, but coin is a factor. If word gets out that there's a demand for them, the few holding onto them will put up their prices, or try to extort some favour out of me. I could use about eight of them'.

'I happen to know that the priest of the Herdsman at the temple of the Twelve is sitting on a stockpile. However, he worships the Herdsman in his aspect as the Merchant, bringer of coin - a more mercenary man you never met'.

'I suspect that the noble families of the town may have some in their private libraries and spells stores... There's a ball tomorrow night. If you were to attend as a guest, you might be able to inveigle something out of one of them'.

'The local shopkeepers may have some as well - as I said, discretion is necessary'.

'I'll reimburse you the cost of the scrolls, give you bed and board, and pay you a small stipend as long as you're working for us. I think I can afford 5gp a day to start with...to be renegotiated after you finish your first job'.

'I'll arrange a maidservant to show you to some more permanent quarters, if you're interested in my offer'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul smiles down to the Gnomish lady. His eyes wandering the shop shelves as he looks about a bit overwhelmed by the mix of auromas.

A family trip sounds nice. Take care though, roads ain't as safe as they used to be.

He begins to meander through the shop looking closer at the herbs.

Unfortunately, I don't know much in the way of your trade. Closest I've come is foraging for food and brewing some rather lack luster ales in my time. Perhaps you could recommend some things for me to try seasoning my ale's with? Aside that if you have any pain relevers like willow bark or sleep aids I'd be greatful. Maybe some mint or lavender as well. Heat that is some bath water and I may escape smelling like muck and dung from the road eh?

Sorry if I sound a bit out of place here, but it is a bit beyond my scope. Knowledge a plants an all doesn't really help too much in my trade.

Ursuul continues to look about while chuckling a bit like a nervous idiot. His hand rubbing through the tangled mess of his hair making him look more the harmless oaf than a threatening soldier.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "My skills? Well, I can do a bit of magic but I'm mostly a talker. Convincing people to give me things is something right up my metaphorical alley," Beigette replies, deciding to leave our her other skills. Takolan had warned her, after all, and...besides, who needed to know she was good at sneaking out after curfew and taking stuff? Or that Cherek had called her the best in her class after only a single lesson with one of the school's mage-blades? Not this guy, that was for sure.

"Getting some scrolls seems like something I can do. Being discreet is within my portfolio and I've got a good reason to go around asking people lots of questions.

A more permanent position sounds like a fine idea and I like your offer. I do have some questions, though. These permanent quarters...where would they be, roughly, and could I have visitors?"
    Beigette asks.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

As Ursuul enters the shop he sees a younger gnome sitting behind the counter. The gnome has light brown hair, and is clean shaven. He's also unusually short and slender for a gnome. A high set of shelves behind the counter reaches up to the ceiling. A wheeled ladder is fixed to the shelving. The shelves are full of an assortment of glass bottles.

The female gnome gives Ursuul an appraising look.

'Well, if you're interested, we do a pretty good line in magical potions'.

'We have a number of healing potions, potions to give you a short burst of strength, and...well special potions as well'.

The male gnome speaks up.

'We're doing basic magical healing potions at 30gp, and a special deal on a rare potion'.

He holds up a strange purple bottle, the glasswork exquisite, with a long neck, a pointed glass stopper, and finishing in a thick bulb.

'Cost us quite a bit - got a whole consignment from a foreign merchant, some years back. This is the last one. Cost us a pretty penny, but you can have it for 100gp'.

'Don't rightly understand exactly what it does...seems to do about everything. We sold the first nine for 800 gold each, and we never had any complaints'.

The gnomish woman chimes back in.

'Now as for tincture of willow bark, we've a number of preparations, also milk of the poppy, 5sp 20 doses of the willow, 1gp for the same of the poppy'.

The gnome begins piling goods into a little basket.

'Now for bath oils, we've got some cypress and cedarwood soap that should do you a treat - 1gp for you sir, or 7sp if you're set on the lavender'.

'As for things to add to beer in brewing, it depends what sort of taste you're looking for. We've got any number of spices and herbs'.

'We also stock several varieties of hops...red mountain, white noble, and long-eared'.

Meanwhile...

Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    'That sounds good. We could use someone with your skills'.

'As for the permanent quarters, either up in the garrison, or I could possibly arrange for something over in my headquarters - certainly something more spacious than the temporary quarters you were assigned'.

'As for guests, that would be up to you, but if you do stay here, please use your discretion'.

'It might be better to see guests in a room in a guesthouse in town'.

'If your skill with magic is up to it, and you prove reliable, I can grant you access to the garrison's copy of the Flerac battle magic tome'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul can feel the heft of his purse getting lighter as the gnome speaks. It all sounds tempting, but in honesty until he unloads some wares just the mystery potion would probably take most of his purse. He might end up only being able to afford the Blood and Bowl at this rate.

Ya got me curious fer sure sir. You sure know how ta seperate a man an his purse I give ya that. I got enough fer ya mystery potion, one a each of the soaps, and the tinctures so I will be takin that. Fer ma brewin I trust ya ta give me a sample pack of some of each fer a fair deal. Nah that'll right break me unless ya be lookin ta barter for some arms an armor perhaps, or ya lookin fer a hand loadin up yer wagon to travel fer a little...

Ursuul stops for a moment the smiles hopefully, he pats himself and finds the purse from the Govenor and the one he kept off a corpse from earlier. Maybe they house enough to let him further stock up. He begins to look through them a bit eagerly like a man starved.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lena is a little surprised; "I'm flattered, although this is m' tryin' no' t' attract attention. Still, I'm tryin' t' meet some people here an' they've all scattered to the stormwinds. So I'll give it a go". Wish I could play an instrument, still, they're expensive an' they keep getting broken.

Nothing for it, she does her best.

"You got a muppet sittin' behind your screen
    He likes to DMPC
    He's got a Pally an' he wants it to shine
    Won't happen easily
    Well don't get gored, just take some flaws
    They're in the old U and the A
    Noxious Breath! And Festering Sores!
    Who needs to read anyway?
    Dirty Deeds! Done for Feats!
    Dirty Deeds! Done for Feats!
    "
    et cetera

Perform(sing}(1d20+8)[25]
    Perform(sing}(1d20+8)[18]

First check:"Memorable performance. In a prosperous city, you can earn 1d6 gp/day. In time, you may come to the attention of noble patrons and develop a national reputation."
    Second:"Enjoyable performance. In a prosperous city, you can earn 1d10 sp/day."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

The two gnomes chuckle.

'We're alright for help, thank you. This is a family concern, so we've plenty of muscle to load up the wagon when we leave. There's my father-in law, my mother, my husband, my sons and daughters, my son-in-law here, and the grandchildren'.

'Besides, we can't really go until we've sold off all the stock. It's a shame to let it go cheap, but without anyone to run the shop, we're worried the place would get broken into if we left anything behind'.

'Of course, at first we thought that one of us would stay behind, but of course everyone wanted to go...'

The gnome lady blushes.

'Sorry, I do go on. Well, we can do you a deal...103gp for the lot, and we'll throw in a sample of hops...'

'As for the arms and armour - not really our stock in trade. Honestly we wouldn't know whether we were buying or selling at a fair price... but you might try Jon Tolan - he runs a smithy down the road, or perhaps Tom Albright, the cutler. His shop's over on Ambergate, not far from the Blood and Bowl'.

'Though I think that you're better off dealing with that nice Jon Tolan, than that Mr Albright. He's ever such a surly fellow'.

'Margery...' the younger male gnome looks a little embarrassed.

'Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to speak ill of the fellow. Anyway, Tom will have closed up by now, but he lives above his shop. Jon may still be open, but he usually takes his dinner at the Red Hart'.

If Ursuul opens the purses:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The purse from the governor contains 40 gold coins
    Ursuul gave away most of the coin from the raiders (started with 74gp 5sp, 3cp). There's 10gp left...but the coins look a little strange - clearly foreign.

Beigette and Thumble likely have the rest.

Over at the Crown and Ivy, as Lena finishes her performance, the patrons applaud enthusiastically.

The tall woman comes over to Lena, her eyes are alight, and she's slightly breathless.

'Well done. That was excellent! Here's 5 gold for your trouble. I understand that you've booked a room for the night? It's on the house'.

'My name's Clarice Short. I'm the proprietor of this establishment. If you'd be willing to play every night, we could pay 5 gold'.

'All I ask in return is that your performances are exclusive to our establishment...I mean private performances for Lords and Ladies are fine, just not other taverns'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

10. - Top - End - #550

Lena smiles and takes the money gratefully. So much for keeping a low profile, Lena girl. "I'm very grateful for that offer, Mistress Clarice", she says a little more wistfully than she feels. "I fin' I ha' many demands o' my time these days, so I can make n' such promises, but I can certainly endeavor t' be here as often as I can". Blood-flecked breakers, why didn't I just stay at the Orb? "However, there may be a favour ye can do me." She carefully hands back one of the gold pieces.

"I'm here trying t' meet up with some people I met earlier today. Left notes for them, but it's beginning t' be apparent there may be a communication breakdown. If there's somebody ye could send out t' the other taverns and ask for them? Tell them tha' I'm here and would appreciate their company?" She'll give Clarice a short description of Ursuul, Talia, Beigette, and Thumbles and their names.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Beigette nods. "The garrison sounds fine. I assume it's not an issue if your soldiers know who I am?" It'd better not be, seeing as a bunch of 'em already do.

"I see what you mean. I shouldn't go announcing to everyone that I'm in your employ, after all," Beigette muses. As the governor mentions battle magic, she thinks for a few moments, remembering the constant droning of Percewik. She'd never expected a damn elemental to be able to talk for so long, that was for sure.

"That sounds interesting.

So, is there anything left to discuss?"
    Beigette asks after a moment.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Actually, I'd prefer it the soldiers knew the cover story - that you're a distant relative of mine, from foreign climes. No reason why you can't go by your own name of course'.

'I'd prefer the soldiers to know as little as they have to. As you may have noticed, considerable efforts were made to keep you, and the survivors of the convoy separate from anyone in the garrison. That's why your rooms were so remote'.

'The soldiers who returned with you, have of course been sworn to secrecy about all the events that took place, and have been disguised as soldiers in the general garrison. It would be best if you saw them again if you could pretend not to have met before, unless you're in private'.

'Please understand, their lives may be in danger, and they're anxious to retain their cover until I can get their news back to Flerac, or smuggle them away'.

'Well, that's all for now. When you want to take up your room, ask someone to summon Jankin for you'.

'If you're going out now, make sure you speak to Captain Telerac before you leave to get a pass for the keep'.

Clarice seems to take umbrage, and refuses the coin. She says stiffly,

'Please, Miss, I'm no messenger girl, and no-one's lackey'.

'If you want someone to carry a message, please speak to Jacques - you met him on the door - you can ask him if anyone's available amongst the serving boys'.

Clarice softens slightly.

'Well, thank you again for the singing. We shall be glad to have you whenever we can'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #553

Lena sets her lip. And her hand closes over the coin. "I didn't take ye as one, Mistress Clarice.

"That's why I asked if'n there's somebody ye could send out. For a favour an' f' coin. I've ha' a full day an' don't want t' be runnin' all over town while my aquaintances mill aroun', and maybe even gather here whilst I'm looking for 'em. Enough is too much, as the old sage said.

"Yes, I'll speak to Jacques. I were thinkin' it'd be polite t' run it through ye first before subcontractin' yer employees. I'm sorry if'n this was a cause f' misunderstanding."

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "A distant relative? I see. Does that make me some kind of minor nobility?" Beigette asks, both curious about her own theoretical station and trying to get more information about the governor. As he mentions a potential threat to the lives of the others, she nods slowly, realizing that there may be spies here. After all, if it was important enough to hunt down over two hundred soldiers for...

"I see. I'll go do so, then. I assume I can get myself settled into my room later on, or is it best I do so now?" Beigette asks.

Once that is answered, she stands, seems uncertain for a moment before offering the governor her hand to shake, then leaves. If it's important that she does so, she asks for Jankin immediately, otherwise she goes to find this Captain Telerac.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul moves to set the coins on the counter for the lady as he smiles.

Ya didna speak ill of da man. If he act like a mule, let 'im be called a mule smell and brayin includid. Ain't no shame in bein what ya are. Best ta embrace it, an admit to it. Lessin ya dunna like it, then ya change it.

Case in example here, I coulna read near year go. Nah, if I take a minute an the person makes decent marks I can read it. Unfortunately, nah, I got a letter when I got ta town, and the marks too fancy fer me ta make out. Ifin I send a few folk thisa way, ya think ya coul help me silfer (cypher) this thing out little lass?

Ursuul produces the letter that was given to him after his meeting with the govenor. His thumb splitting the seal as he went to present it to the gnome woman.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Clarice sniffs.

'Well, just so long as that's understood'. She flounces back off to the kitchen.

Jacques is amiable to helping out with Lena's request. He explains that most of the town's messenger boys and girls are in bed by this time, but he's sure the kitchen boy will be happy to do it for the work...but he recommends that the lad not be paid in advance, otherwise he'll probably spend it in the first tavern, then forget what he was supposed to be doing. The lad is called forth, and accordingly given descriptions of Lena's companions.

'If'n s'alright with you, miss, I'll start at the Red Hart, an' work me way down'.

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Yes, that's right. Theoretically, you'd be a cousin of mine, and an exotic noble...that carries quite a bit more weight around here than it would it Flerac, of course'.

The Governor shakes Beigette's hand warmly, and bids her goodnight.

After Beigette has leaves the room, Captain Telerac finds her quickly.

'If you're going out, Lady Allinson, I ask that you'd take care. Can't have anything happen to the governor's cousin'.

He smiles wryly.

'Here, take this'.

He presses a simple copper broach into Beigette's hand. It's inlaid with a spiral pattern.

'That, and the night's password, should let you back in. The password for tonight is 'owlet'. Ring the kitchen, and your maid will show you to your quarters'.

The younger gnome moves forward.

'Here, I can read it for you'.

He proceeds to read out the note.

'It says:- If you want to save some coin on room and ....

He trails off, then coughs

And such, look me up at the Crown and Ivy tonight. You can save the favour for when it counts.

Lena Chillmist'.

The gnomes prepare the items for Ursuul. The younger gnome adds...

'As I said, I think that the potion helps with just about anything...'

If Ursuul hands over the coin, they exchange the items.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2014-01-11 at 06:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul chuckles as the gnome looks flustered. He doubted it said "and such" but didn't press it. As he finishes counting the coins, he places them in the spare purse he had pilfered earlier.

There ya are, an thank ye gain for everting. I'll be sendin some people your way tomorra round first light to stock up on a few tings afore we head out on another job. Iffin ya ever need hand with anyting jus send call for Ursuul. Kindness deserves a kindness. Well, g'luck on ya trip.

With that Ursuul situates his purchases and head out. Time to go to the Blood and Bowl to pick up his recommendation. Then time to visit with someone who wanted his attention. No sense bothering the smiths during supper. They could wait 'til morrow.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    After Beigette's spoken to Captain Telerac, a well dressed serving man spots her, and rushes down a corridor to speak to her.

'Forgive me m'Lady, your servant'.

'This note was left for you'.

The letter is addressed thus: To Beigette, Nice Young Lady with rapier and bizarre accent.

"I regret that your first night in these parts should be in a place I deem less than ideal, but it's a matter of discretion. Please meet me at the Crown and Ivy tonight and we'll discuss what happened today, and what we saw and heard"

Lena of Corvalla"

Folder inside the note is a second letter.

Beigette,

If you want to meet me tonight, you'll be able to find me outside the Crown and Ivy.

Destroy this note.

Following the gnomes' directions, Ursuul makes his way down the darkening streets as the freezing rain pours down. As he walks down the road, he sees the bright lights in some of the windows of the taverns, and hears sounds of drinking, talk and laughter.

After Ursuul turns at the corner the houses get distinctly shabbier. There are no more lights, and it's becoming difficult to see. A tall stone tower rises amidst the murk.

Set back from the road is a large, long building, with a pitched and tiled roof. There appears to be an adjoining wooden building...possibly a stable. The windows are shuttered, but the door is open, letting out a dim orange light. There's a sign showing the image of a large chalice, or perhaps an ornate bowl.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

19. - Top - End - #559

Lena keeps her face impassive as Clarice turns her back on her. Feats: Improved Flounce, Greater Misguided Indignation, Flaw: Selective Hearing. "Careful a' the Blood an' Bowl", she says as she walks the lad to the door. "An' don't catch cold. This rain puts the drumhead right on ye' skull."

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget Racial trait: Chip off the shoulder.

The boy looks a little worried.

'You don't really think that your friends'll be there do you miss?'

The boy seems to be considering things for a moment.

'Ah, maybe I'd better go there first. Don't want to be out near Knight's Bar any later than I hafta be'.

He hastily adds

'Not that I'm afraid, or anythink miss. Them stories is jus' to frighten littl'uns...but...well, best not to tempt fate'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

21. - Top - End - #561

Lena bites her lip. "Didn't want t' frighten ye. Well, there's only one o' 'em tha' I can conjure going there. Stick your head in and look for a large man wit' a Guisarme." She describes the weapon. "Those things aren't that common. You don't see him then don't stick your neck out any further. Anyway, ye could get lucky. He might be righ' outside righ' now."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul spits into the mud as he draws near the place. Looks worse than some rat hole he slept in when in the wilds. He shoulders his polearm before checking his knives. Everything satisfactory he mad sure to put only a few coins in the pouch on his belt. The rest went into his boot. Never too careful.

With that he moves to enter the place. His shoulders rolling as he gets to the open door. If these people wanted a fight with him, then he would make sure it was as bloody as could be.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Beigette nods, committing the password to memory, and heads out for the exit, wondering precisely how she'll find Takolan, especially if he's being kept in the barracks, until another man comes rushing behind her with a note. Giving the man a nod and slight smile, she waits until he's left to open it. Referring to her as 'Nice Young Lady with rapier and bizarre accent' makes her smile, but wonder who would call her accent bizarre. Then she remembers that she's speaking through the odd thing around her neck. Of course that'd make her sound odd.

Reading the first note, Beigette smiles again, glad to have a meeting with the others. Lena was that 'Terial 'Mmander who seemed to know what she was doing. Then she opens the other note and her feelings mix. On one hand, she's sure she knows who it's from and is glad about receiving a note from them. On the other hand, Beigette instantly sees a conflict between her two meetings. Perhaps she could have a brief talk with the others before going off for dinner with Takolan?

Even if she ate with the group and him, Beigette's still sure she has something else to look forward to later on. The bed of an inn may not be as spacious as the one she'll be getting in the fort, but it'd be warmer and more comfortable.

Not sure how she's going to solve the issue, Beigette sets out for the Crown and Ivy, Lena's letter in a pocket but Takolan's being rubbed around in one fist. Between fingers it's folded, crumpled, rolled up, pulled taught, unraveled, until it slowly becomes an illegible mess. Seeing the rain, Beigette goes to grab the oilskin she'd worn earlier before going out, wanting to avoid showing up at her...date-and-chat soaked.

Of course, she hadn't had the chance to properly prepare for such a meeting anyways, but it was best to do what she could.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2014-01-12 at 06:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

The boy nods to Lena. 'Alright, I'll go an check now'.

For Lena
    Spoiler
    Show
    May make a spot check if you wish.

As Ursuul walks through the door of the Blood and Bowl, he finds himself standing in a tiny porch with a second door in front of him. Over the door a number of notices covered in dense writing are posted.

As Ursuul steps into the bar proper, a short, but muscular, bald man puts out an arm to stop him.

'Here, son, check your weapons'.

Looking to his left, Ursuul sees that there's a makeshift counter, behind which all manner of polearms, axes and daggers are stored.

The man's face looks like it's been chewed. There's a scar across his left eye and the brow above. He has a something of a squint, and a slight lean forward. He has a 'cauliflower ear'. The man's dressed in a baggy white shirt, and tight brown britches.

'We have a few rules here; no weapons, no sneaking up on folk from behind, no wreckin' the furniture, an' no crying off to the garrison if you get your face smashed in, or all your coin hustled'.

The man smiles revealing a mouth full of even white teeth.

'If you're looking for some fun, tonight's boxing and singlestick. Winner drinks free. Slick Jim's running the book for the boxing, and Daft Bob an' All Roz 'ave got the book for the singlestick'.

'If anyone want to fight you, or you want to fight anyone, do it in the ring, before or after the tournament'.

Meanwhile Beigette heads down the main street. Whatever sunlight's left must have disappeared behind the mountains. A few oil lamps, set high up on poles, light the street. The ground is muddy, the street full of puddles.

Beigette is too distracted to notice much about the shops and taverns that she passes...but after a short walk she sees a well built Inn, with a timber frame. A large sign picks out the name of the establishment in golden coloured paint 'The Crown and Ivy'. To the left is an impressive two storey dwelling house, timber built. To the right stands the Golden Orb. On entering the foyer, Beigette finds a short man, wearing a neat black outfit.

'May I take your coat, M'Lady?' he asks.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

25. - Top - End - #565

[Maxed out Listen, but Spot is cross-class. So guess which I keep getting asked to make?
    Anyway:Spot(1d20)[19] and just for comparison:
    Listen:(1d20+5)[11]]

EDIT: OK, that was a fluke. I was more occupied with changing my grammar.

Assuming Lena doesn't see anything, she'll go back to her table, order another drink, and start writing her report. Out of utter perversity, she writes it in High Varic.

She really doesn't have much to add that she hasn't already told lord Iraes. Except for:

"During the regretfully brief interrogation of the enemy prisoner mine, of two entities "the ripper" and "biter" he spoke.

"of neither of the two did he volunteer much information before eliminated he was by his own people.

"To destruction resigned he seemed. "I talked. The Ripper I'll eat my soul, and Biter will kill you all." We have a war god (Biter) and a Death-God for the unworthy (The Ripper), it seems

"The usual annoying death-cult stupidity this is, yet it was enough for these fellows to give their lives. Please do not let this sort of thing prosper. I am your instrument in this, at least."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes," Beigette says to the short man, handing him the now-wet oilskin as she looks around for Takolan. "Have you seen any soldiers come by here recently?" She asks, turning to him after her sweep.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Ursuul looks the grotesque little man over and grins a bit. The thought of unloading all of his weapons is rather unappealing for more than one reason. Though it does seem a bit more fun to not worry about a knife in the back.

An what's ta stop some little weasel of a man slippin in with a blade or out with my weapons? Your good word and standing in the slums?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Lena's tired ears fail to pick anything out of the general hubbub.

However...

For Lena
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are five tables occupied apart from Lena's. An elderly man with a large grey moustache is sitting alone, finishing up the last bit of his meal. A young couple sit across from him. Several merchants appear to be discussing a trade deal. Tucked around the corner, some of the serving staff are having their dinner in the back of the restaurant, as serving winds down for the evening. At the final table, a pair of youths are sitting, a boy and a girl. Lena might also have taken them for a young couple, but their features are so similar, that they're more likely brother at sister.

Lena catches a glimpse of something through the rear window of the Crown and Ivy... See blinks, unsure of what she saw...but it looked like the head of a black horse just went past the window.

Just then, Lena notices Beigette walk through the door.

Meanwhile, the man Beigette meets at the door replies;

'Soldiers m'Lady? No m'Lady, not tonight. They generally prefer to eat at the Red Hart in any case...and to be honest'.

He leans in close, and whispers...

'We try to discourage that kind of clientele...enlisted men, I mean. Obviously, not officers, as they are like to be men and women of quality'.

Meanwhile, over at the Blood and Bowl, the man replies to Ursuul.

'Oh, I watch the weapons. Give you a little ticket, make sure you get the right ones back'.

'As for what stops people sneaking anything through...'
    the man grins.

'Honesty. Simple honesty. They do say it's the best policy'. Somehow the man doesn't sound completely sincere.

However, the counter does seems to have a fairly comprehensive collection of weaponry, woodsmens' axes, a few swords, a collection of agricultural implements, including scythes, at least one pickaxe, hunting bows, and a large number of knives and daggers. Each one appears to have a little white piece of paper attached to it.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2014-01-12 at 07:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

29. - Top - End - #569

Lena stands up and waves Beigette over to her table; "Greetings to this house, Lady of Sigil. Your Meat and Mead are on me," she says in her most carrying bardic voice. Then if Beigette approaches, speaks in a much lower voice; "The food's better a' the Golden Orb next door, bu' I was concerned they wouldn't let Ursuul in. Waste o' a thought. He hasn't turned up yet"

She sits down and gestures to the parchments on her side of the table. "I owe Lor' Twentyquestions a report written--A written report. It was ye that saw...something in the trees just before that second ambush, correct? Wha' exactly did ye see? If'n it's no' too much o' an imposition."

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Thumble
    Show
    'Hmm... that's interesting. I'll take a note, and pass it to my agents for investigation'.

'It seems that there may be agents from an unknown power at work...'.

'Hmm...if you should ever find them again, let me know'.

Thumble nodded, not really anticipating that he would see the camoflauged watchers again. When he was ready to leave, he blinked in surprise when the man handed him a pouch. Staring at it, he started to say something, stopped, then opened his mouth again. "Uh ... thanks, my lord. But are there others that need this more?" He hadn't worried about money much since he had left home, but if he was going to stay in an inn, he might need a bit of coin.

He nodded at the recommendation for the Ton-Vearrs, blushing slightly at the thought of being deemed an 'eligible bachelor.' He also acknowledged the request to keep the dangers of the local area to himself. Before he left, he did make one more request. "Sorry, my lord, but it would be nice to know more of the land around. Could your men spare a map?"

-------------------------------------------

Once he was dismissed, Thumble called Slobber to him, walking back to his room to gather his things.

'Excuse me sir? This was left for you'.

Blinking, Thumble took the letter, staring at it as Slobber tried to like the boy in the face. Distractedly, he mumbled, "Thanks ...", snapping his finger for Slobber to follow.

Once he was back in his room, he opened the letter and read it.

Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    "Thumbles, Resourceful Gnomish Gentleman"
    "Dear sir,

As with the Lady Beigette I must regret the place I have chosen, but I believe a certain discretion may be in order. Please, if you have no obligations tonight, meet me at the Crown and Ivy and maybe we can begin to make sense out of what happened this day.

Lena of Corvalla"

Blinking, Thumble glanced at Slobber, then back to the letter. "Well ... we need to find a place to stay. Maybe this inn will do. Let's go find a room, boy!" He would ask Jankin how to get to the Crown and Ivy, when given the chance.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-05-02 at 12:19 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y